HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Franson almost becoming "Untouchable"

Old
01-17-2012, 01:19 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

vCash: 500
Not untouchable, but he's astud.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:21 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
It's the contract that speaks. I expected Franson to play, but there was no way they would scratch Komi right away. I just didn't think JG would be as good as he was to start the season.
Even so, who should be the fall-guy for Komisarek's contract? The 6'5, seasoned NHL pro, who came off a tremendous NHL season with Barry Trotz' supremely talented blue line, or the waiver-exempt, undersized rookie PMD with weak defensive ability?

It wasn't a hard choice at all. Bench Komisarek. If we are interested in winning as many games as possible, you pick the best players to lineup. I don't care about the contract anymore, really I don't. He's not going to return to form, in fact, I can only see him getting worse from here on in. Winning games is more important than playing him in a hope that you can dump him for a 5th round pick.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:25 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Bring back Chris McAllister.
Cory Cross and Aki Berg.

But I do believe this. I was blown away when Burke managed to grab him in that trade. Major coup on Burkes part, grabbing a big D, with almost unlimited upside.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Schennanigans

I'm glad, he should never be sitting out for anyone else imo. And his shot is better than any defense on our team. He's ranked higher among our defense than I think a lot don't give him credit for.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Let's get this straight.

You thought Franson deserved to be benched behind Komisarek, Aulie, and Gardiner at the start of the season, knowing that he was coming off a tremendous season with Nashville, playing behind guys like Shea Weber and Ryan Suter?

I felt there was absolutely nothing wrong with the way in which Cody conducted himself. He was answering a question honestly and honorably. If it truly was a meritocracy, he would have been playing in his proper position and given more than one game against Boston to prove himself.
Quick call Ripleys, I agree with PC.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
tho trollish, it is very true. no one really gave him a shot and many were sick of him after his first turnover.
huh?

this board celebrated all summer long about getting Franson. Everyone here thought that trade was the steal of the century. What are you talking about?

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
It seems that everyone who needs to defend the actions of openly whining to your agent and the media about a short term setback hasn't a clue what it takes to be a professional.
A player confiding in his agent is whining? Are you really going to stoop so low as to admonish professional athletes for having a support system and turning to that system when they are frustrated and in need of motivation and perhaps some clarity? Unfortunately not everyone can be as perfect as you seem to think you are (or so it seems). It wasn't a smart thing to admit to the TORONTO media, but his actions and comments were hardly sinful.

And while you want to harp on the kid for showing his frustrations for not getting to play, you seem to conveniently ignore that he also said that he knows that there is competition and he knows that he'll have to work hard and earn his spot. A guy who wants to play and is frustrated with not getting the opportunity but also decides to use that opportunity to create a fire in his belly and determination to prove his worth ... doesn't sound unprofessional to me. As far as I can tell, your some guy sitting behind your computer screen criticizing a guy for venting his frustrations while Franson is the guy playing in the NHL and has done what he said he would - earn his spot. But you can keep talking about professionalism all you like. I'm sure if there were awards for armchair professional athletes, you'd probably earn a prize but unfortunately for you, that's not how real life works.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
Translation:

"I'm talking him up because I'm planning on trading him."

Trust me, Franson's open whining about not playing at the start of the season has not been forgotten.
Wait, so 'whining', according to you, about inferior players playing ahead of a superior player will not be 'forgotten?' I guess things were fine when these said people, who will not apparently forget Franson's actions, also contrarily spoke about establishing a "meritocracy".

But yeah, you're absolutely correct. Silly me. It's a profession. He needs to shut up, instead of speaking honestly or else it'll be unprofessional!

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
tho trollish, it is very true. no one really gave him a shot and many were sick of him after his first turnover.
Not true, the moment I got pissed was when he let kelly take 3 shots on gustavsson from rebounds while he was RIGHT BEHIND HIM, instead of checking him down, he just let him stand there till kelly scored.

But yes he has ben a pleasant surprise and it's been good.

01-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

I would still easily move the guy. He has poor defensive awareness and is the slowest man in the show.
Gunnar-Dion
Gardiner-Schenn
Liles-Komi

Roll with it.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM
ECanuck
Young Gunz

I don't know about untouchable but Franson has been better than I thought. He is awesome at keeping pucks in at the blue line.

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:05 PM
JB Maple Leafs

Franson has been great. I wanted him to be the one traded if we had to trade a defensive asset but not anymore.
He's huge, cannon of a shot, plays very confident, keeps pucks in play in the offensive zone and makes a great first pass to clear our zone. His toughness was most surprising though - how many people has he just thrown to the ice already this year with that forearm push!
....he's made Schenn a bit expendable in my opinion and we have too many D playing the Right Side....

JB Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Phaneuf, Franson, Gunnarsson, Liles, Gardiner,

Those 5 have been our most consistent D.

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gardiner - Schenn

would be ideal pairing IMO.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
huh?

this board celebrated all summer long about getting Franson. Everyone here thought that trade was the steal of the century. What are you talking about?
are u serious. in training camp and the first few weeks of the season all I read about was how he was a whiner, needs to be demoted and not worth sitting anyone else over. In his first game he made some weak defensive plays and people wanted him traded or waived.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:27 PM
rawsensation
The College Dropout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gardiner - Schenn

Love this for he future. Maybe a Suter upgrade over gunnar but still the future pairings look good.

rawsensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

Quote:

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gardiner - Schenn

I agree, I've always said these should be the pairings going forward.

With Blacker, Percy and Holzer waiting.

SnipeCheeseAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:39 PM
DrkSideOfDaMoon*

Hes the only defenceman that gets shots through.

DrkSideOfDaMoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gardiner - Schenn

Agreed.

Clark4Ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:46 PM
GalacticaActual

You don't trade Gunnarsson, or Franson, or Schenn, or Aulie, or even Komisarek. Because come playoff time there will be injuries. You'll see how valuable Komisarek is if Schenn and Aulie go down with an injury and you need someone to replace them for game 7 against the Panthers or Rangers.

GalacticaActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

I rather have Lebda, he has a cup ring and experience.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:14 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
So saying i have to wait to see what the deal is before giving my opinion is setting my arguments up early ?

How can an anyone give there honest opinion about a deal before they know who's invovled ?

There's many type of deals . We could give up futures for a vet that would help short term . We could make a young player for young player type of deal . We could deal picks and prospects for a younger type of player as well . See there's many types of deals Burke can make . I think i'll wait till somthing happens before i give my view .

But let's be honest for a second shall we , it doesn't matter to you what the deal is . You'll praise it regardless .
Of course I'll praise any deal that improves the team. It's kind of his job.

You apparently have a pre-set notion in your mind of what is or is not a move designed to save Wilson. Seems strange to me.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Gike Bagpipe
Haemorrhaging syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanty View Post
I can believe it. He's:

1. Smooth skating, although not exactly speedy.
2. Makes fantastic outlet passes, and is able to move the puck out of the zone himself.
3. Excellent puck clearing, something we've struggled with for some reason.
4. Now becoming quite physical.
5. A dynamo in the offensive zone, able to keep the puck in like no one else.
6. Has the best damn shot on the team.

Why wouldn't he be untouchable? The little things he does are turning him into one of my favourites. Honestly hope he's here for years to come.
not to mention he has ONE hell of a pair of hands...I remember I watched an interview with him (in the beginning of the year when he wasn't playing) on mapleleafs.com and when asked about whether or not he'd be ok with a move.
He got real serious and looked at the reporter (andi maybe) with anger in his eyes and said " Look, I really WANT to play here and I'm gonna do everything I can to stay here, I've wanted to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs my whole life and I'm not going without a fight." Of course I'm paraphrasing but it was something like that.
I like this kid.
Even if BB trades this kid, I can see him trying to come back as a FA and not charging that much.

Gike Bagpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:28 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post
Love Franson's game. He's not nearly As soft as he was advertised to be, and his shot is extremely accurate
He definietly was at the beginning of the season. Credit the coaching staff for helping grow as he has this season.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote