HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

TV ratings = Fan Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2012, 10:05 AM
  #1
stealth1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Niagara, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
TV ratings = Fan Support

A lot people seem to think attendance for hockey games is a way to measure team support. TV ratings tell a better story. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...L-ratings.aspx

I used to be in support of the southern teams and their lack of attendance. After reading that report, I know its from last year, I come to realize that regardless of how well they do their is not enough fan support in most of the cities. Phoenix, Florida and Tampa are the worst. I can some what understand Florida and Columbus as they have been bad for a long time. Phoenix and Tampa are head scratchers. While I know Phoenix has the ownership issues, but that still doesn't excuse the lack of support. They have been winning and for people to not even tune in to watch them play is terrible. It proves that all along that they have a very small fan base. Tampa was really good last year and people still don't watch. Everyone says if the team wins people will go watch. If the fans won't even watch on TV there is a problem.

stealth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:37 AM
  #2
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 36,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
Tampa was really good last year and people still don't watch. Everyone says if the team wins people will go watch. If the fans won't even watch on TV there is a problem.
Well, they had a 27% jump in the ratings, so that's something right?

In Tampa's defense, the city is only about half the size of those in the top-5. If we very sloppily doubled their viewership to account for market size, they would have around half as many viewers as teams like the Flyers and Bruins. Would we expect to see something dramatically different, considering half the hockey fans in Tampa are probably watching the Flyers or Bruins on other networks?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:45 AM
  #3
stealth1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Niagara, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
They may have a smaller market size but you would think they would have more then 14000 watching a game. I know there are a lot of fans of other teams down there. I think that might be a big problem in most of these southern cities. There might be a lot of hockey fans down there, just not enough that like the home team.

stealth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:28 AM
  #4
Alan Jackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,605
vCash: 500
I agree that TV ratings are a very good guage - at least as good of a guage as attendance.

People can make all sorts of excuses for not going to games - arena's too far, tickets too expensive, poor product on the ice, etc., but if you can't even be bothered to flip on the television, that tells you there's a distinct lack of interest.

Alan Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:12 PM
  #5
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 36,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
They may have a smaller market size but you would think they would have more then 14000 watching a game. I know there are a lot of fans of other teams down there. I think that might be a big problem in most of these southern cities. There might be a lot of hockey fans down there, just not enough that like the home team.
That's absolutely a problem, and it has afflicted more than just the southern cities. Teams like the Islanders and Nordiques have also run into that phenomenon in different eras -- putting a team in people's back yard doesn't automatically make them change loyalties. It takes at least a good 20 years for a generation to grow up under the home team.

My impression from Tampa is that there's a decent-sized group of loyal fans, and the rest of the population is basically a bandwagon. You can see from their ratings increase that the bandwagon got fired up last year, and I'm sure it will die back down in 2012 now that they are struggling again.

Phoenix and Columbus are somewhat understandable based on their own unique circumstances. I'd consider Florida's numbers genuinely concerning, as were Atlanta's.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:17 PM
  #6
stealth1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Niagara, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
I can understand Columbus as they have only made the Playoffs once in their history. Phoenix has no excuse. I know they have ownership issues and most fans don't know if they are staying or not. That is still no excuse for turning on the TV and watching. Considering they have been a playoff team the last 2 years.

stealth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:21 PM
  #7
matCH penalty
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
I can understand Columbus as they have only made the Playoffs once in their history. Phoenix has no excuse. I know they have ownership issues and most fans don't know if they are staying or not. That is still no excuse for turning on the TV and watching. Considering they have been a playoff team the last 2 years.
And for a lot of years they weren't. They haven't won a playoff round as the Phoenix Coyotes. It's pretty easy for people like us to look down on people who have had their hearts broken over and over for almost five years and scowl at them for not getting emotionally involved in a team that's looking less and less likely to stay and be their team.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:12 PM
  #8
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
It's like a live in a bubble...I honestly thought the numbers would be higher for Pittsburgh but I was expecting much larger numbers for Detroit, Boston and Philly. The Florida number makes me sad but the real head scratcher is Tampa. I know that there are mixed allegiances in Southern markets but a team well in the playoff mix last season only averaged 14,000 viewers when combining loyal and bandwagon fans?

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
  #9
jigglysquishy
Registered User
 
jigglysquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 500
I'm curious to see NHL numbers in non-NHL cities. Places like Regina, Saskatoon, Quebec and Hamilton likely put up numbers in the top 20.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:29 PM
  #10
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw
 
JerseyGuy276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A Flood Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 9,094
vCash: 500
Some of the people here don't realize that this article is from February 2011

I'm sure their numbers are higher now after the playoff run last year.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:31 PM
  #11
kward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
You would think that by now the NHL would get the picture and see that its product, in its current form, is not catching on in certain markets.

The dinosaurs in charge will continue trying to force a square peg through a round hole until finally one or more of these teams is forced to either move or fold, and that is unfortunate when you consider neither of those things need be inevitable...in any market.

The game can flourish in any market, it's just a matter of how you package your product, and the price you put on it.

So far, the NHL's reluctance to admit it needs to change its product in order to succeed in more markets has been - and will continue to be - its downfall.

If the NHL keeps trying to shove its dying model down the throats of an uninterested fan-base you can kiss goodbye to the Panthers, Lightning, Stars, Coyotes, Hurricanes, Predators, and Blue Jackets in relatively short order.

It doesn't have to be this way, but the stupid 82-games of non-relevance, followed by the 16-team mini-season, to the exclusion of the other 14, will only continue to speed hurting teams toward oblivion as they try to keep up multi-million-dollar payrolls from a heavily-diluted talent pool in markets where bowling gets higher TV ratings, and hockey is just nowhere near top of mind.

kward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:35 PM
  #12
dronald
Registered User
 
dronald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I'm curious to see NHL numbers in non-NHL cities. Places like Regina, Saskatoon, Quebec and Hamilton likely put up numbers in the top 20.
Good thinking. I would like to know where we can get the numbers.

dronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:42 PM
  #13
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw
 
JerseyGuy276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A Flood Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 9,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kward View Post
You would think that by now the NHL would get the picture and see that its product, in its current form, is not catching on in certain markets.

The dinosaurs in charge will continue trying to force a square peg through a round hole until finally one or more of these teams is forced to either move or fold, and that is unfortunate when you consider neither of those things need be inevitable...in any market.

The game can flourish in any market, it's just a matter of how you package your product, and the price you put on it.

So far, the NHL's reluctance to admit it needs to change its product in order to succeed in more markets has been - and will continue to be - its downfall.

If the NHL keeps trying to shove its dying model down the throats of an uninterested fan-base you can kiss goodbye to the Panthers, Lightning, Stars, Coyotes, Hurricanes, Predators, and Blue Jackets in relatively short order.

It doesn't have to be this way, but the stupid 82-games of non-relevance, followed by the 16-team mini-season, to the exclusion of the other 14, will only continue to speed hurting teams toward oblivion as they try to keep up multi-million-dollar payrolls from a heavily-diluted talent pool in markets where bowling gets higher TV ratings, and hockey is just nowhere near top of mind.
What do those three have to do with this? The Stars up until this year had good attendance and nothing wrong with them Tv wise, same with the hurricanes, and the preds attendance has been pretty good the past 2-3 years.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:45 PM
  #14
kward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
What do those three have to do with this? The Stars up until this year had good attendance and nothing wrong with them Tv wise, same with the hurricanes, and the preds attendance has been pretty good the past 2-3 years.
The Stars, Canes, and Preds are all teams in trouble...this isn't news.

kward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:45 PM
  #15
Bongo
Registered User
 
Bongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
There's a lot to do in Tampa Bay. The Bolts aren't just competing with Buc/Rays/Gator fans. Fishing, sailing, and just hanging out in a beautiful city with a pretty good climate year round can be a disadvantage as well.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:50 PM
  #16
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor
 
garnetpalmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kward View Post
The Stars, Canes, and Preds are all teams in trouble...this isn't news.
They are? Man...news to me.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
  #17
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Some of the people here don't realize that this article is from February 2011

I'm sure their numbers are higher now after the playoff run last year.
If fans tuned in just to see a playoff team compete this season, the chances are they have long since tuned out since the Lightning are now sitting last in the East. As someone pointed out, areas like Tampa offer more than just the local hockey team which makes it harder to create consistent and long-term support.

Generally speaking, an area that has a lot of competition in terms of local entertainment can and certainly should be given time but that can't forever be the excuse. It eventually comes down to whether you can be a profitable franchise or not. Teams like NYR, Boston and Philly are proof that your local NHL team doesn't need to be #1 in your city to be considered a success.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
  #18
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 7,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kward View Post
The Stars, Canes, and Preds are all teams in trouble...this isn't news.
I'm intrigued. Tell me more.

__________________
-Jonathan
Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:44 PM
  #19
kward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
I'm intrigued. Tell me more.
In my opinion, any team that has to rely on being in the top 8 in its conference to sell-out its barn on a regular basis is not a strong franchise, but instead is one built on a pillar of sand.

In other words, if the team lives and dies by the bandwagon, it's not a strong, viable franchise, and the potential for failure is always there, no matter how well the team is playing today.

kward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:02 PM
  #20
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
There's a lot to do in Tampa Bay. The Bolts aren't just competing with Buc/Rays/Gator fans. Fishing, sailing, and just hanging out in a beautiful city with a pretty good climate year round can be a disadvantage as well.
Sure but there is alot of other citys you could say the same about as there is lots to do.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:02 PM
  #21
Chief Ten Bears*
Unregistered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
There's a lot to do in Tampa Bay. The Bolts aren't just competing with Buc/Rays/Gator fans. Fishing, sailing, and just hanging out in a beautiful city with a pretty good climate year round can be a disadvantage as well.
You mean people who live in hot warm non winter climates would rather do anything else than go to an "exotic game of ice hockey"????

Now if you throw in $1 hotdogs and beer and 2 fors, then we'll talk....

Chief Ten Bears* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:28 PM
  #22
HeyYouGuys
Registered User
 
HeyYouGuys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Sure but there is alot of other citys you could say the same about as there is lots to do.
Which other cities?

HeyYouGuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:46 PM
  #23
Inkling
"Let's win it all"
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYouGuys View Post
Which other cities?
How about New York, Toronto, LA, Vancouver, Chicago, Montreal...

Nothing special about Tampa Bay from what I can see, the NHL is competing for entertainment dollars in all 30 cities.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:39 PM
  #24
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,473
vCash: 750
The think about the tv numbers is the massive differences in the size of markets makes it hard to compare

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:58 PM
  #25
stealth1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Niagara, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
The think about the tv numbers is the massive differences in the size of markets makes it hard to compare
Ratings wise yes its hard to compare but number of houses watching is not.

stealth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.