HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

TV ratings = Fan Support

Old
01-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

vCash: 500
That article is a year old..

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:28 PM
stealth1

So what its a year old. It is still pretty telling. It gives another reason why Atlanta didn't work. Yeah ownership was a big problem but when fans won't even watch them on TV it shows a real lack of support. At some point you have to just give up on some of these cities. Its one thing to not show up when the team is losing but not to watch them is another.

stealth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kward View Post
In my opinion, any team that has to rely on being in the top 8 in its conference to sell-out its barn on a regular basis is not a strong franchise, but instead is one built on a pillar of sand.
Even more incentive for owership to try to win. If your going to make money no matter what why try? See MLSE

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:26 PM
KzooShark

Quote:
In my opinion, any team that has to rely on being in the top 8 in its conference to sell-out its barn on a regular basis is not a strong franchise, but instead is one built on a pillar of sand.

In other words, if the team lives and dies by the bandwagon, it's not a strong, viable franchise, and the potential for failure is always there, no matter how well the team is playing today.
So we'll be shutting down every American franchise. Good to know.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:47 PM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark View Post
So we'll be shutting down every American franchise. Good to know.
He didn't say that.

In fact he said earlier "The game can flourish in any market, it's just a matter of how you package your product, and the price you put on it."

With 30 teams in the league, you can't expect every team to be a winner. In sports, losing is normal. So you have to have a marketing plan that goes beyond "winning a lot".

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:49 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

A disclaimer should be put to warn people the article is nearly a full year old...

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:56 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
In sports, losing is normal.
Going a decade without winning a playoff game is not normal.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

In other words, if the team lives and dies by the bandwagon, it's not a strong, viable franchise, and the potential for failure is always there, no matter how well the team is playing today.
So basically, you are telling me that every single team in the NHL is/was a weak franchise built on the pillar of sand sometime in the last 30 years.

SHUT DOWN THE LEAGUE EVERYBODY!

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:36 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Why not post this article from Dec 7, 2011 that shows that most southern markets have jumped even this season?

http://paranoidpuck.wordpress.com/20...ngs/#more-1066

Eleven local Regional Sports Networks experienced double- and triple-digit growth, including:
Nashville (+200 percent)
Carolina (+125 percent)
Florida (+100 percent)
Tampa Bay (+71 percent)
Philadelphia (+60 percent)
Boston (+57 percent)
Minnesota (+53 percent)
San Jose (+44 percent)
Buffalo (+26 percent)
Edmonton (+21 percent)
New York Rangers (+14 percent)

CommunistDayKare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
Why not post this article from Dec 7, 2011 that shows that most southern markets have jumped even this season?

Eleven local Regional Sports Networks experienced double- and triple-digit growth, including:
• Nashville (+200 percent)
• Carolina (+125 percent)
• Florida (+100 percent)
• Tampa Bay (+71 percent)
• Philadelphia (+60 percent)
• Boston (+57 percent)
• Minnesota (+53 percent)
• San Jose (+44 percent)
• Buffalo (+26 percent)
• Edmonton (+21 percent)
• New York Rangers (+14 percent)
That would not fit an agenda, that the poster and others are trying to profess. That the southern NHL teams should be moved and have no fans.

Last edited by Gnashville: 01-18-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old
01-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Maybe I just need to re-post these numbers....TV ratings from the 2010 gold medal game.

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/20...ld-medal-game/

Bolded are either "non-traditional" or non-NHL markets.

1. Buffalo, 32.6/51
2. Pittsburgh, 31.9/50
3. Detroit, 26.9/47
4. Minneapolis, 26.4/53
5. Milwaukee, 24.5/43
6. Boston, 24.1/46
7. Chicago, 23.5/41
8. Columbus, 22.3/37
9. Denver, 22.2/42
10. Philadelphia, 20.9/35
11. West Palm Beach, 20.3/33
12. Kansas City, 19.5/35
13. St. Louis, 19.4/39
14. Seattle, 19.3/45
15. Cincinnati, 19.2/31
16. New York, 19.0/36
17. Hartford, 18.5/30
18. Providence, 18.4/34
T19. Salt Lake City, 18.3/38
T19. Cleveland, 18.3/32
T21. Washington, D.C., 18.1/33
T21. Baltimore, 18.1/32
23. Ft. Myers, 18.0/34
T24. Austin, 17.1/34
T24. Indianapolis, 17.1/29

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:07 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post

• Nashville (+200 percent)
• Carolina (+125 percent)
• Florida (+100 percent)
• Tampa Bay (+71 percent)
• Philadelphia (+60 percent)
• Boston (+57 percent)
• Minnesota (+53 percent)
• San Jose (+44 percent)
• Buffalo (+26 percent)
• Edmonton (+21 percent)
• New York Rangers (+14 percent)
Boston only 57% even after winning the Cup and being an excellent team this year? Where can we move them to? Albuquerque?

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:04 PM
stealth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
That would not fit an agenda, that the poster and others are trying to profess. That the southern NHL teams should be moved and have no fans.
THERE IS NO AGENDA. Why do so many of you southerners get so bent out of shape when people talk about moving teams. Its one thing to not go to the arena to watch them when they do bad, but to not watch them on TV says a lot. Its not just about the support, its the lack of a decent sized fan base to sustain a team. All it does is prove my point. So Florida doubled the amount of people watching. If you go by the report I posted, that would put them at 6000 or so. I know Phoenix is another problem but I would love to hear from people that live there as to why they won't even watch the team that has made the playoffs the last 2 seasons. I know fans don't want to invest money on a team that might be gone by next season but it doesn't cost money to turn on a tv and watch. OH wait, I keep forgetting just like in Tampa and Sunrise, there is too much to do cause its so nice and warm.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
THERE IS NO AGENDA. Why do so many of you southerners get so bent out of shape when people talk about moving teams.
Are you serious? 10, 15, 20 years of the non-stop "YOU DON'T DESERVE A TEAM, YOU'RE NOT REAL FANS, YOU DIDN'T GROW UP PLAYING POND HOCKEY".

Maybe it's the fact that it's grossly offensive on its face. Maybe it's the fact that any "case" that can be built to "prove" where hockey is "working" is always bent on double standards, revisionist history, outright lies, and suspensions of logic and common sense. Maybe it's the fact that we're pretty much all sick and tired of it.

Neither I nor ANYONE else needs to justify ourselves or our existence, both prior and current (and future, for that matter), to anyone.

(Also, in my case, I'm not a Southerner, I'm an Ohioan. Of course, according to too many in the drive-by media, that's "in the Sunbelt", so I feel qualified to answer.)

Old
01-18-2012, 06:27 PM
stealth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Are you serious? 10, 15, 20 years of the non-stop "YOU DON'T DESERVE A TEAM, YOU'RE NOT REAL FANS, YOU DIDN'T GROW UP PLAYING POND HOCKEY".

Maybe it's the fact that it's grossly offensive on its face. Maybe it's the fact that any "case" that can be built to "prove" where hockey is "working" is always bent on double standards, revisionist history, outright lies, and suspensions of logic and common sense. Maybe it's the fact that we're pretty much all sick and tired of it.

Neither I nor ANYONE else needs to justify ourselves or our existence, both prior and current (and future, for that matter), to anyone.

(Also, in my case, I'm not a Southerner, I'm an Ohioan. Of course, according to too many in the drive-by media, that's "in the Sunbelt", so I feel qualified to answer.)
I don't consider Ohio sunbelt and I give Columbus fans props for supporting their team. For as bad as they have been, the fans still show up for the most part and watch them on TV. For the other cities I am just tired of hearing excuse after excuse for the lack of support. From ownership, to the team sucks, to the arena is to hard to get to in rush hour, there is too many better things to do than watch an exotic game of hockey. What I am trying to say, which everyone seems to fight against it is, its one thing to not show up to the arena when the team is bad but to NOT EVEN TURN ON A TV is another.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
THERE IS NO AGENDA. Why do so many of you southerners get so bent out of shape when people talk about moving teams. Its one thing to not go to the arena to watch them when they do bad, but to not watch them on TV says a lot. Its not just about the support, its the lack of a decent sized fan base to sustain a team. All it does is prove my point. So Florida doubled the amount of people watching. If you go by the report I posted, that would put them at 6000 or so. I know Phoenix is another problem but I would love to hear from people that live there as to why they won't even watch the team that has made the playoffs the last 2 seasons. I know fans don't want to invest money on a team that might be gone by next season but it doesn't cost money to turn on a TV and watch. OH wait, I keep forgetting just like in Tampa and Sunrise, there is too much to do cause its so nice and warm.
We get bent out of shape because it's always a moving target to justify us being fans. "Sell out your arena" is screamed at us by Fans and media with your agenda. When that happens "it's have better ratings" or "pay ticket prices at Toronto's level". I understand most will never accept us but what makes a good hockey fan is always a moving target and all Traditional NHL cities aren't subject to the same scrutiny. Chicago and Boston were near the bottom of the Attendance and ratings lists a few years ago and no one questioned fan support in those cities. Like stated above it gets old quickly.

Quote:
From ownership, to the team sucks, to the arena is to hard to get to in rush hour, there is too many better things to do than watch an exotic game of hockey. What I am trying to say, which everyone seems to fight against it is, its one thing to not show up to the arena when the team is bad but to NOT EVEN TURN ON A TV is another.
Oh I See 5 years ago Chicago and Boston had valid reasons not to show up or watch on TV but when the team is in Florida it is "excuses"

Last edited by Gnashville: 01-18-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old
01-18-2012, 06:53 PM
stealth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
We get bent out of shape because it's always a moving target to justify us being fans. "Sell out your arena" is screamed at us by Fans and media with your agenda. When that happens "it's have better ratings" or "pay ticket prices at Toronto's level". I understand most will never accept us but what makes a good hockey fan is always a moving target and all Traditional NHL cities aren't subject to the same scrutiny. Chicago and Boston were near the bottom of the Attendance and ratings lists a few years ago and no one questioned fan support in those cities. Like stated above it gets old quickly.

Oh I See 5 years ago Chicago and Boston had valid reasons not to show up or watch on TV but when the team is in Florida it is "excuses"
It is a valid reason for every city when the team sucks to not go to the arena and watch but I am sure Chicago and Boston never had less than 14000 homes watching.

Old
01-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
It is a valid reason for every city when the team sucks to not go to the arena and watch but I am sure Chicago and Boston never had less than 14000 homes watching.
Now it's a valid reason!! It also stannds to reason that fans would rather watch something else than be subjected to the pain of watching their team play poorly either on TV or in person. Add to that most teams are not on local stations or cable (usaully the higher tier package) so compare that stations ratings to their regular schedule. I get your point hockey is more popular in Canada, but that does not it can't succeed some where else.

Are you sure because I remember before they were good the Hawks played a home game vs the Predators where there were more fans from Nashville in attendance than Chicago. I highly doubt they had stellar ratings for that time.

Last edited by Gnashville: 01-18-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old
01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
matCH penalty

Chicago isn't the best example when it comes to television viewership. Dollar Bill Wirtz, etc.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
Chicago isn't the best example when it comes to television viewership. Dollar Bill Wirtz, etc.
Pfft, more excuses.

Old
01-18-2012, 07:11 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
Not to mention the size of Chicago. What's more impressive? Columbus getting 14,000 homes or Chicago getting 14,000 homes? Obviously Columbus since it's much smaller.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Not to mention the size of Chicago. What's more impressive? Columbus getting 14,000 homes or Chicago getting 14,000 homes? Obviously Columbus since it's much smaller.
Well, why isn't Columbus the same size as Chicago then? More excuses!

I'll also say this. If people in "traditional" markets had to be subjected to some of the announcers that those of us in "non-traditional" markets have dealt with, it'd be more understandable why avoiding them entirely isn't an indicator of anything negative. Take a listen to Dave Mishkin with the Lightning sometime, or consider that Atlanta originally hired Scott Ferrall (who lasted half a season).

This video is Ferrall. He starts talking at 0:33....see if you can make it to 0:35 without hitting the mute button. Now try to imagine that voice calling a hockey game.

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 01-18-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old
01-18-2012, 07:24 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
I'll also say this. If people in "traditional" markets had to be subjected to some of the announcers that those of us in "non-traditional" markets have dealt with, it'd be more understandable why avoiding them entirely isn't an indicator of anything negative.
What, you don't like Rimer?

Actually, Carolina has arguably the best regional play-by-play man in the business, John Forslund. Conversely, the Bruins have Jack Edwards. Of course, the Canes also have Tripp Tracy. Can't win 'em all.

You are right overall, though. Does FSN Ohio broadcast all the games yet? Not that it'd be good if they did, of course. I know there were a few times last year where sometimes the Centre Ice feed was the in-arena jumbotron feed with radio on the audio track from Columbus and Nashville.

Also, two seconds.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
This video is Ferrall. He starts talking at 0:33....see if you can make it to 0:35 without hitting the mute button. Now try to imagine that voice calling a hockey game.

That is quite possible the worst voice I have ever heard. And worse thing is, he is on the radio. I think he missed his true calling...as a mime.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
stealth1

Quote:
Well, why isn't Columbus the same size as Chicago then? More excuses!

I'll also say this. If people in "traditional" markets had to be subjected to some of the announcers that those of us in "non-traditional" markets have dealt with, it'd be more understandable why avoiding them entirely isn't an indicator of anything negative. Take a listen to Dave Mishkin with the Lightning sometime, or consider that Atlanta originally hired Scott Ferrall (who lasted half a season).

Now its the people who call the game's fault. I think I realize after this thread on why Hockey will always be a second rate sport in the states. In almost all markets, unless the team wins, fans don't care. Some cities have more that do care when the team sucks but for the most part as soon as the team starts losing people walk away.