HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

TV ratings = Fan Support

Old
01-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Mwd711

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
I'm talking about it from a cultural perspective, not a business one. Moving hockey to the desert is just as ridiculous as moving a warm-weather outdoor sport like baseball to Iqaluit. I'm not talking about population or anything like that. I'm talking about how fans in general would react to perceived cultural appropriation.

Baseball fans would be furious that a team got moved from a traditional US city to Canada, in a city where baseball is not even remotely part of the culture and where the climate means it's unlikely kids are going to be playing baseball in any large numbers.
Well, define traditional. I'm not sure that theory works so well since you can use your own interpretations. Is Quebec City a "traditional" hockey city? Sure, the game has always been played there in some form but they went years without having a professional team. This isn't an Original 6 city.

Canadians consider virtually every city as being a traditional hockey market and Americans feel largely the same when it comes to our cities and sports but we don't take each market so personally. If the Tampa Rays moved to Winnipeg, very few people outside of Florida would go bananas. There would be talk about it nationally, but nobody would go around waving American flags and such. I'm not saying TB is a traditional baseball market, but like a QC, the game has always been played there and it went years without a pro team. That's why I'm using that as a rough comparison. It would get press and such, but it wouldn't bring out nationalism.

Los Angeles could could be called a traditional football market and they've lacked a team for decades and very few in this country care. When the Colts packed up for Indy and the Browns packed up for Baltimore, very few outside of those home markets had pitchforks out, even though in the case of the Browns, its about as traditional a market as you can get in pro football. I didn't lose any sleep knowing the NFL would have a team in Jacksonville while Cleveland (where many of the NFL's roots were formed and near the HoF!) didn't have one. It largely didn't effect me since I didn't live in Ohio. Its a different mentality in the States. Nobody cared that Toronto and Vancouver got NBA teams while New Orleans (at the time, a former NBA market) didn't have one. To most people, they really don't care where the teams are, as long as they have their home team.

Last edited by Mwd711: 01-23-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:52 AM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

How does this factor in accessibility? Right now there are, quite literally, millions of TVs in the NY/NJ area that cannot get the Devils/Rangers/Isles/Sabres (Or the Knicks, for that matter) because of the ongoing Time Warner/MSG dispute. Supposedly the NY Attorney General is getting involved now. Averages for all four teams would be down for the 2011-2012 season.

I think a good measure, as well, is how well teams are compensated for being on the channel. Not better than actual viewers, but also something to think about.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:24 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
If fans tuned in just to see a playoff team compete this season, the chances are they have long since tuned out since the Lightning are now sitting last in the East. As someone pointed out, areas like Tampa offer more than just the local hockey team which makes it harder to create consistent and long-term support.

Generally speaking, an area that has a lot of competition in terms of local entertainment can and certainly should be given time but that can't forever be the excuse. It eventually comes down to whether you can be a profitable franchise or not. Teams like NYR, Boston and Philly are proof that your local NHL team doesn't need to be #1 in your city to be considered a success.
Their attendance is still up, and I doubt their ratings are down that much. Playoff success = a revival of the fan base. You don't seem to understand that. I have plenty of friends down in the Tampa area who still go to games because the team has a lot of talent even though they are not competing well, they renovated the arena, and its better then going to a Bucs game.

Your point about NYC, Philly, and Boston is foolish because, #1 its New York. There is much more to do in NYC then Tampa. I lived just south of tampa for about a year, so I know. Same with Philly. Boston started selling out every game this year. Moot points, especially when 2 of your points revolve around O6 teams.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:49 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I said understood that part of the reasoning, but Iqaluit is a ridiculous over the top example.

Also, wouldn't Toronto very easily fall under this category? Baseball is after all, "America's game". I have never had the impression that Baseball people are upset about that non-traditional baseball market.
This American baseball fan definitely isn't upset about the Blue Jays. On the contrary, I'm always happy to see baseball expand into new markets and think it's great that players from non-traditional areas are picking it up. When I go to local minor league games it always makes me feel good to see a player from some place like Australia or the Netherlands on a roster. It gives me the sense that the game is continuing to grow and develop rather than be some moribund static thing that's content to rest on its laurels. In fact, I was saddened to see the Expos relocate to Washington, DC, even if that's a more "traditional" location for a team (with the Washington Senators playing from 1891-1899, 1901-1960, and then 1961-1971). I had hoped something would have been worked out where the Expos could have found ownership and a new park to replace Le Stade Olympique.

Quote:
Houston has an older but serviceable arena. The had a potential owner long while ago, not sure if they currently have one. It's not really the point. I was just trying to point out the hippocritical nature of forcing some markets to get an AHL team to prove themselves, and others seem not to need it.
Toyota Center isn't that old - opened in 2003 which makes it newer than all but New Jersey's, Pittsburgh's, and Winnipeg's barns.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Toyota Center isn't that old - opened in 2003 which makes it newer than all but New Jersey's, Pittsburgh's, and Winnipeg's barns.
My bad. Maybe back when they damn near got the Oilers in the late 90's they had an older rink? Cannot remember now. If they was ever an owner there, that is for sure a market the NHL would/should be looking at, that's for sure.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:12 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
My bad. Maybe back when they damn near got the Oilers in the late 90's they had an older rink? Cannot remember now. If they was ever an owner there, that is for sure a market the NHL would/should be looking at, that's for sure.
Yup - that would be The Summit, former home of the WHA Houston Aeros and the IHL/AHL Aeros from 1994 to 2003. IIRC it's a megachurch now.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:23 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Yup - that would be The Summit, former home of the WHA Houston Aeros and the IHL/AHL Aeros from 1994 to 2003. IIRC it's a megachurch now.
Yup - the Summit (later the Compaq Center) is now home to Lakewood Church:

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote