HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

pack opener on msg

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2004, 06:39 PM
NYR469

vCash: 500
pack opener on msg

the pack opener on 10/16 will be shown on msg (from msgnetwork.com)

Old
09-29-2004, 07:19 PM
DarthSather99

woohoo ....... maybe some of those E-Mails sent a message to MSG/Dolan. I am continuing to get Ranger fans to E-Mail Dolan about the Wolfpack.

Old
09-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Great news! But no word if they'll continue on with it? Maybe they'll look to the #s after the opener to decide whether or not to show more? Tune in people!

Old
09-29-2004, 07:23 PM
NYRangers

10/23 @Bridgeport 7:00 PM on MSG too

Old
09-29-2004, 08:38 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

thats great , thats one of the only things that has brought a smile to my face in a while im excited and looking foward hopefully there are plenty of games on , im really looking foward to seeing some hockey

Old
09-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
That is great to hear! Thank you MSG .

Old
09-29-2004, 09:58 PM
NYR2

THANK GOD.

I need hockey so bad right now, it's my outlet. I hope they don't show like one game a month or something.

Old
09-29-2004, 10:24 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
THANK GOD.

I need hockey so bad right now, it's my outlet. I hope they don't show like one game a month or something.

Woohoo I cant wait to watch our youth like Taylor, Helminen, Ortmeyer etc on a reg basis.

Old
09-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Edge

Probably similar to what they did in 94-95.

Old
09-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Balej20*

YES, MAYBE WHAT WE DID WORKED!!! Hockey is still alive!!!

Old
09-30-2004, 08:48 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Its also a nice strategic play by ownership. Give the fans some hockey and the lack of hockey caused by the lockout is no longer front and center.

Old
09-30-2004, 09:14 AM
DarthSather99

So, where can we buy a wolfpack jersey so I can throw it on Opening night

Old
09-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Its also a nice strategic play by ownership. Give the fans some hockey and the lack of hockey caused by the lockout is no longer front and center.
Throw some fans a bone, some of us prefer our hockey live. I'm not saying I won't watch the Wolfpack, but it doesn't in any way replace seeing the games in person. And I can't afford the trip up to Hartford on a regular basis.

I also really don't think regular season AHL games will draw nearly as well as the playoff games last spring did (now that was a good move--showing the fans some of the fruits of rebuilding), much less as well as NHL games on TV.

Old
09-30-2004, 02:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Throw some fans a bone, some of us prefer our hockey live. I'm not saying I won't watch the Wolfpack, but it doesn't in any way replace seeing the games in person. And I can't afford the trip up to Hartford on a regular basis.

I also really don't think regular season AHL games will draw nearly as well as the playoff games last spring did (now that was a good move--showing the fans some of the fruits of rebuilding), much less as well as NHL games on TV.
Not saying anything of the sort Brook.

My point is, it does satisfy the fans to some exent. It also makes sense in that the fans get a glimpse of the Ranger future. Hell, a lockout might even be good for the Rangers from an on stand point. And because the Rangers made a lot of moves for the future, the fans are anxious to see the players that they got (Liffiton etc.) It makes sense that it also introduces the kids to Ranger fans.

Old
09-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Not saying anything of the sort Brook.

My point is, it does satisfy the fans to some exent. It also makes sense in that the fans get a glimpse of the Ranger future. Hell, a lockout might even be good for the Rangers from an on stand point. And because the Rangers made a lot of moves for the future, the fans are anxious to see the players that they got (Liffiton etc.) It makes sense that it also introduces the kids to Ranger fans.
I think you're over estimating the interest most fans have of minor league hockey. And while it will take some of the sting away from having the NHL in action, I doubt it will take the spotlight away from the lockout.

Also, there is a downside for the Ranger organization too. Most of the players for the Wolfpack will never make the NHL on a regular basis. They are not going to be a flashy team or a high scoring one. And their goaltending is not NHL caliber either (what a difference having a healthy, if rusty Blackburn would make!). Over exposing the kids to the fans who are much more used to NHL hockey (how many people here have seen the AHL regularly? much less in person?) might make more than a few question the idea of rebuilding all together.

The people who contribute (or lurk) hockey boards are not your average hockey fan. People here are excited about the process of building a team and watching the players grow into their roles. Most of the rest are only interested in the finished product.

Old
09-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Fish

Quote:
I think you're over estimating the interest most fans have of minor league hockey. And while it will take some of the sting away from having the NHL in action, I doubt it will take the spotlight away from the lockout.

Also, there is a downside for the Ranger organization too. Most of the players for the Wolfpack will never make the NHL on a regular basis. They are not going to be a flashy team or a high scoring one. And their goaltending is not NHL caliber either (what a difference having a healthy, if rusty Blackburn would make!). Over exposing the kids to the fans who are much more used to NHL hockey (how many people here have seen the AHL regularly? much less in person?) might make more than a few question the idea of rebuilding all together.

The people who contribute (or lurk) hockey boards are not your average hockey fan. People here are excited about the process of building a team and watching the players grow into their roles. Most of the rest are only interested in the finished product.
Exactly...it might satisfy the hard core fans...and even then only initially, but ultimately people aren't going to come and watch Hartford play every night...nor for that matter will fans of other teams come and watch the Moose Jaw Warriors, Lowell Lock Monsters etc...

Old
09-30-2004, 04:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

I don't know Brook. It seems to me as though by in large there really isn't an average hockey fan. Either you're into it or your not. To that point, the average hockey fan might not care about the lockout.

Old
09-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Balej20*

Very Very good point Singin, i agree 100%. There's no grey zone when it comes to being a fan of hockey.

Old
09-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Fish

Well there's certainly been a drop off in interest online as far as hockey is concerned...just take a look around the boards, the amount of activity is at an all time low. The question really is, will they come back...to be honest I think pro sports has been for some time losing fans, at least as a percentage of the potential out there and the more greed that is evidenced and the weaker the product the more people lose interest and perhaps more importantly the fewer fans come on board.

The effect that a few AHL games on MSG will have are probably better represented in advertising dollars vs cost of production than how many fans it will retain in the long term.

Old
09-30-2004, 07:56 PM
sathershouldgo

vCash:
I haven't kept that updated but won't the Pack team have a lot of our better prospects on the team this year? So in reality many of those players could be on our big team when they resume. I know Murray. Ortmeyer, Fedor, Taylor, Liffiton and Lampan will be there. I think Balej and perhaps Dawes or Jonasen will be there, Giroux is interesting. Is Helminen suppose to play for the Pack?

Old
09-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathershouldgo
I haven't kept that updated but won't the Pack team have a lot of our better prospects on the team this year? So in reality many of those players could be on our big team when they resume. I know Murray. Ortmeyer, Fedor, Taylor, Liffiton and Lampan will be there. I think Balej and perhaps Dawes or Jonasen will be there, Giroux is interesting. Is Helminen suppose to play for the Pack?
The following players with NHL experience will be on the Pack roster this year:

Jozef Balej
Dan Blackburn (if he comes back this season)
Blair Betts
Ken Gernander
Martin Grenier
Maxim Kondratiev (if he stays)
Jason Labarbera
Jeff MacMillan
Dominic Moore
Garth Murray
Lawrence Nycholat
Jed Ortmeyer
Thomas Pck
Fedor Tyutin
Layne Ulmer
Stephen Valliquette

Of course that doesn't mean they're NHL quality...but yes you would think the level of play in the AHL would be better than it normally is.

Old
10-13-2004, 01:48 AM
rickyrod

there is a slot here:

Saturday October 30, 2004
7:05 PM UR

i'm assuming UR is some kind of code for unscheduled, since i've looked through the entire available msg lineup and not found it mentioned again.
hartford is at the portland pirates that night. could be.

Old
10-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod
there is a slot here:

Saturday October 30, 2004
7:05 PM UR

i'm assuming UR is some kind of code for unscheduled, since i've looked through the entire available msg lineup and not found it mentioned again.
hartford is at the portland pirates that night. could be.
I doubt they would televise an away game--it's expensive to produce it, plus they would have to negotiate for the right to broadcast it. Or they would have to buy the feed from the home team's broadcast (and then we would be listening to their announcers, something the Powers That Be here might not want us to hear).

In all the years I've been watching the baby Rangers on MSG, the playoff games last year were the first time I've seen them away from their home arena.

Old
10-13-2004, 01:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I doubt they would televise an away game--it's expensive to produce it, plus they would have to negotiate for the right to broadcast it. Or they would have to buy the feed from the home team's broadcast (and then we would be listening to their announcers, something the Powers That Be here might not want us to hear).

In all the years I've been watching the baby Rangers on MSG, the playoff games last year were the first time I've seen them away from their home arena.
They did by into the other teams' feed (the Pittsburgh farm club who's name illudes me at the moment) for the playoffs last season.

Perhaps the teams will agree to some sort of recoprocity in which teams will trade rights to their feed with other teams.

Old
10-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
They did by into the other teams' feed (the Pittsburgh farm club who's name illudes me at the moment) for the playoffs last season.

Perhaps the teams will agree to some sort of recoprocity in which teams will trade rights to their feed with other teams.
I did mention that the playoff games were on MSG last year, but they are just that, playoff games. And the only reason why they were even on was because our beloved Rangers were sitting at home for a 7th straight season.

Given how small the audience is for NHL hockey on MSG, I really wonder if they can afford to spend the extra money to put an away game from the AHL on. We can hope that they will throw us a bone, but economics is the main reason why they are scambling to find alternative programming in the first place and I doubt they will go to the ends of the earth to satisfy our need to see hockey.

And they are going to show 76 Knick games this season. Come November there will be a lot less room on the schedule.

Closed Thread