HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, College, International, Other) *Part V*

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Those guys are few and far between. Sometimes taking a gamble will pay off.
Agreed. Gordie had some nice things to say about McNaught on his draft day. The guy can go for sure. Here is R Mac vs D Mac from a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmrvX_QNfs

If we could have both these fellas in the line up some day, I suspect Hagelin, Cally, MSC and other smallish guys we may have in the line up would have more room to work in.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:04 AM
glendroid

http://whl.ca/article/oil-kings-st-c...er-of-the-week

Old
01-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Steve Zipay wrote an article about JT Miller, but it's on Newsday.

Anyone care to post an excerpt?

Old
01-24-2012, 07:58 AM
NYR Viper

McNaught can actually play the game. He will be more like a George Parros if he makes it than a Colton Orr.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:21 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
McNaught can actually play the game. He will be more like a George Parros if he makes it than a Colton Orr.
I hope he can. But if he was that good, why did he go to CIS? Did we not offer him an AHL contract then? Or was that his choice?

Old
01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I hope he can. But if he was that good, why did he go to CIS? Did we not offer him an AHL contract then? Or was that his choice?
I believe they offered him a contract but he may not have been happy with the offer. He missed most of last season with an injury.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah he ripped up his ankle last year and missed all but the first 8 games. He was never that mobile to begin with, so I was skeptical that he'd ever be able to play professionally after that. I guess he showed enough to warrant a deal.

It's just pain.
Old
01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah he ripped up his ankle last year and missed all but the first 8 games. He was never that mobile to begin with, so I was skeptical that he'd ever be able to play professionally after that. I guess he showed enough to warrant a deal.
The coaches at Traverse City said they could tell he hadn't been on skates a ton in the past year but that he improved and knew his role during the tournament. There were times the year after he was drafted that he was an impressive player in the way he drove to the net and created havoc in the offensive zone a lot like Rupp does now for the Rangers.

We will see.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:53 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Agreed. Gordie had some nice things to say about McNaught on his draft day. The guy can go for sure. Here is R Mac vs D Mac from a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmrvX_QNfs

If we could have both these fellas in the line up some day, I suspect Hagelin, Cally, MSC and other smallish guys we may have in the line up would have more room to work in.
I don't want it to sound like i'm being disrespectful, but Boogy was supposed to do that and Gaborik was still cheapshotted and sucked all last season, and Boogs was the best in the business.

I'm just not in love with the enforcer role. Sure, give me Mike Rupp. I don't think McNaught will ever be as good as that.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Steve Zipay wrote an article about JT Miller, but it's on Newsday.

Anyone care to post an excerpt?
There's nothing new in it. He just reprints a Clark quote from the Rangers website.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't want it to sound like i'm being disrespectful, but Boogy was supposed to do that and Gaborik was still cheapshotted and sucked all last season, and Boogs was the best in the business.

I'm just not in love with the enforcer role. Sure, give me Mike Rupp. I don't think McNaught will ever be as good as that.
I have no idea where McNaught will wind up, but I maintain the team needs more size and nastiness in the line up. He's easily worth the gamble.

To your point and it's a good one, but Boogy was a shadow of what he once was when he got here. He was out of shape, slow and hurting and battling some heavy demons. No disrespect meant. Sather has a terrible track record when it comes to signing a truly useful cop.

There will always be players who take cheap shots. It's a matter of having an effective response. Teams that have no response get taken advantage of more. It's just hockey.

Look at a Bruins game. I take notice of how players push and shove around Chara, Lucic and crew. For the most part it tends to be minimal. To me this is an example of a team that gives it's skill guys plenty of room.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
ocarina

Eh, teams are now starting to realize in today's game, it's much better to have someone who's tough and can play rather then someone who specializes in fighting but is a liability otherwise.

I'm not a fan of drafting pure enforcers in general (especially if they are overage). A lot of good pure enforcers can be signed as undrafted FA's anyway.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
There's nothing new in it. He just reprints a Clark quote from the Rangers website.
Okay, thanks.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Eh, teams are now starting to realize in today's game, it's much better to have someone who's tough and can play rather then someone who specializes in fighting but is a liability otherwise.

I'm not a fan of drafting pure enforcers in general (especially if they are overage). A lot of good pure enforcers can be signed as undrafted FA's anyway.
Neither am I. But that's not what I was talking about.

I agree that teams are looking for more than one dimensional goons. In a cap world that makes sense and it's better for the game to demand more from a player than just his fists.

As for McNaught, I'll repeat that our guys had some nice things to say about him. Specifically, that he could play. It's worth it to see how a big, tough 7th rounder develops. Maybe it goes no where or maybe it does. Costs very little to be patient and have a look.

Old
01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
NYR Viper

Not sure where else to put this, but has anyone been keeping track of Andrej Sustr? He was the big 6'8 freshman at Nebraska-Omaha who the Rangers had at their prospect camp.

Old
01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

St. Croix held off the scoresheet tonight. Looks like they're going to a shootout.

McColgan with the only goal so far for Kelowna in a 1-1 game in the 2nd.

Old
01-25-2012, 10:28 PM
CM PUNK

PentictonVees Penticton Vees
3-0 after 40 minutes in Merritt! Fogarty playing like a man amongst boys in all facets of the game tonight! 1g 2a #penticton #bchl #nyr
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Old
01-25-2012, 11:04 PM
CM PUNK

Steven Fogarty Scores right off the faceoff to make it 5-0!!! Knifes the puck ahead on the draw and roofs it! #BCHL #Penticton #nyr

Old
01-25-2012, 11:24 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
Steven Fogarty Scores right off the faceoff to make it 5-0!!! Knifes the puck ahead on the draw and roofs it! #BCHL #Penticton #nyr
9-0 final....26 straight wins

Old
01-25-2012, 11:27 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
9-0 final....26 straight wins
Yup. Fogarty finishes with 1 + 3.

01-26-2012, 12:13 AM
ecemleafs

did penticton get the best 5 players from minnesota or something?

Old
01-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

If McNaught could turn into a bigger, better fighting version of Andre Deveaux, I would be happy with using a 7th Rounder on that. That type of player is always useful on the 4th line.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:33 AM
NYR Viper

Fogarty is putting up some serious numbers in the BCHL.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Fogarty is putting up some serious numbers in the BCHL.
He is but considering his team's insane record, it has me questioning the strength of the league.

Is Fogarty putting up those points because he is simply physically dominating the players or because of his passing and mental game?

Old
01-26-2012, 08:43 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
He is but considering his team's insane record, it has me questioning the strength of the league.

Is Fogarty putting up those points because he is simply physically dominating the players or because of his passing and mental game?
I believe that league has players either his age or older so I would think he isn't overly dominating physically.

Closed Thread