HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, College, International, Other) *Part V*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2012, 10:56 PM
  #176
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Those guys are few and far between. Sometimes taking a gamble will pay off.
Agreed. Gordie had some nice things to say about McNaught on his draft day. The guy can go for sure. Here is R Mac vs D Mac from a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmrvX_QNfs

If we could have both these fellas in the line up some day, I suspect Hagelin, Cally, MSC and other smallish guys we may have in the line up would have more room to work in.

Pizza is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 01:04 AM
  #177
glendroid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
http://whl.ca/article/oil-kings-st-c...er-of-the-week

glendroid is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 07:52 AM
  #178
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Steve Zipay wrote an article about JT Miller, but it's on Newsday.

Anyone care to post an excerpt?

Jabroni is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 07:58 AM
  #179
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,011
vCash: 500
McNaught can actually play the game. He will be more like a George Parros if he makes it than a Colton Orr.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 03:21 PM
  #180
ocarina
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
McNaught can actually play the game. He will be more like a George Parros if he makes it than a Colton Orr.
I hope he can. But if he was that good, why did he go to CIS? Did we not offer him an AHL contract then? Or was that his choice?

ocarina is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
  #181
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I hope he can. But if he was that good, why did he go to CIS? Did we not offer him an AHL contract then? Or was that his choice?
I believe they offered him a contract but he may not have been happy with the offer. He missed most of last season with an injury.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
  #182
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,753
vCash: 500
Awards:
Yeah he ripped up his ankle last year and missed all but the first 8 games. He was never that mobile to begin with, so I was skeptical that he'd ever be able to play professionally after that. I guess he showed enough to warrant a deal.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
  #183
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah he ripped up his ankle last year and missed all but the first 8 games. He was never that mobile to begin with, so I was skeptical that he'd ever be able to play professionally after that. I guess he showed enough to warrant a deal.
The coaches at Traverse City said they could tell he hadn't been on skates a ton in the past year but that he improved and knew his role during the tournament. There were times the year after he was drafted that he was an impressive player in the way he drove to the net and created havoc in the offensive zone a lot like Rupp does now for the Rangers.

We will see.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 04:53 PM
  #184
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Agreed. Gordie had some nice things to say about McNaught on his draft day. The guy can go for sure. Here is R Mac vs D Mac from a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmrvX_QNfs

If we could have both these fellas in the line up some day, I suspect Hagelin, Cally, MSC and other smallish guys we may have in the line up would have more room to work in.
I don't want it to sound like i'm being disrespectful, but Boogy was supposed to do that and Gaborik was still cheapshotted and sucked all last season, and Boogs was the best in the business.

I'm just not in love with the enforcer role. Sure, give me Mike Rupp. I don't think McNaught will ever be as good as that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 04:55 PM
  #185
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Steve Zipay wrote an article about JT Miller, but it's on Newsday.

Anyone care to post an excerpt?
There's nothing new in it. He just reprints a Clark quote from the Rangers website.

Zil is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 05:56 PM
  #186
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't want it to sound like i'm being disrespectful, but Boogy was supposed to do that and Gaborik was still cheapshotted and sucked all last season, and Boogs was the best in the business.

I'm just not in love with the enforcer role. Sure, give me Mike Rupp. I don't think McNaught will ever be as good as that.
I have no idea where McNaught will wind up, but I maintain the team needs more size and nastiness in the line up. He's easily worth the gamble.

To your point and it's a good one, but Boogy was a shadow of what he once was when he got here. He was out of shape, slow and hurting and battling some heavy demons. No disrespect meant. Sather has a terrible track record when it comes to signing a truly useful cop.

There will always be players who take cheap shots. It's a matter of having an effective response. Teams that have no response get taken advantage of more. It's just hockey.

Look at a Bruins game. I take notice of how players push and shove around Chara, Lucic and crew. For the most part it tends to be minimal. To me this is an example of a team that gives it's skill guys plenty of room.

Pizza is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
  #187
ocarina
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Eh, teams are now starting to realize in today's game, it's much better to have someone who's tough and can play rather then someone who specializes in fighting but is a liability otherwise.

I'm not a fan of drafting pure enforcers in general (especially if they are overage). A lot of good pure enforcers can be signed as undrafted FA's anyway.

ocarina is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:26 PM
  #188
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
There's nothing new in it. He just reprints a Clark quote from the Rangers website.
Okay, thanks.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 11:50 PM
  #189
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Eh, teams are now starting to realize in today's game, it's much better to have someone who's tough and can play rather then someone who specializes in fighting but is a liability otherwise.

I'm not a fan of drafting pure enforcers in general (especially if they are overage). A lot of good pure enforcers can be signed as undrafted FA's anyway.
Neither am I. But that's not what I was talking about.

I agree that teams are looking for more than one dimensional goons. In a cap world that makes sense and it's better for the game to demand more from a player than just his fists.

As for McNaught, I'll repeat that our guys had some nice things to say about him. Specifically, that he could play. It's worth it to see how a big, tough 7th rounder develops. Maybe it goes no where or maybe it does. Costs very little to be patient and have a look.

Pizza is offline  
Old
01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
  #190
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,011
vCash: 500
Not sure where else to put this, but has anyone been keeping track of Andrej Sustr? He was the big 6'8 freshman at Nebraska-Omaha who the Rangers had at their prospect camp.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
  #191
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,099
vCash: 500
St. Croix held off the scoresheet tonight. Looks like they're going to a shootout.

McColgan with the only goal so far for Kelowna in a 1-1 game in the 2nd.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
01-25-2012, 10:28 PM
  #192
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
PentictonVees Penticton Vees
3-0 after 40 minutes in Merritt! Fogarty playing like a man amongst boys in all facets of the game tonight! 1g 2a #penticton #bchl #nyr
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

CM PUNK is online now  
Old
01-25-2012, 11:04 PM
  #193
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
PentictonVees Penticton Vees
Steven Fogarty Scores right off the faceoff to make it 5-0!!! Knifes the puck ahead on the draw and roofs it! #BCHL #Penticton #nyr
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

CM PUNK is online now  
Old
01-25-2012, 11:24 PM
  #194
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
PentictonVees Penticton Vees
Steven Fogarty Scores right off the faceoff to make it 5-0!!! Knifes the puck ahead on the draw and roofs it! #BCHL #Penticton #nyr
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
9-0 final....26 straight wins

CM PUNK is online now  
Old
01-25-2012, 11:27 PM
  #195
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
9-0 final....26 straight wins
Yup. Fogarty finishes with 1 + 3.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
01-26-2012, 12:13 AM
  #196
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 9,956
vCash: 500
did penticton get the best 5 players from minnesota or something?

ecemleafs is online now  
Old
01-26-2012, 07:53 AM
  #197
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dirty South
Country: United States
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
If McNaught could turn into a bigger, better fighting version of Andre Deveaux, I would be happy with using a 7th Rounder on that. That type of player is always useful on the 4th line.

Revelation is offline  
Old
01-26-2012, 08:33 AM
  #198
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,011
vCash: 500
Fogarty is putting up some serious numbers in the BCHL.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-26-2012, 08:37 AM
  #199
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Fogarty is putting up some serious numbers in the BCHL.
He is but considering his team's insane record, it has me questioning the strength of the league.

Is Fogarty putting up those points because he is simply physically dominating the players or because of his passing and mental game?

Emptyvoid is offline  
Old
01-26-2012, 08:43 AM
  #200
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
He is but considering his team's insane record, it has me questioning the strength of the league.

Is Fogarty putting up those points because he is simply physically dominating the players or because of his passing and mental game?
I believe that league has players either his age or older so I would think he isn't overly dominating physically.

NYR Viper is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.