HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre LeBrun: "Regier is certainly working the phones"

Old
01-17-2012, 04:06 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

vCash: 500
Pierre LeBrun: "Regier is certainly working the phones"

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-and-all-stars

Quote:
bflo2balt: Something is rotten in the state of Pegula-ville. The Buffalo Sabres are bad. They are so bad that the love-fest that was the purchase of the team by Terry Pegula has gone from trial separation to nasty divorce. The pleasant thoughts from that February afternoon are such a distant memory that to even the most positive Sabres fan, the ownership change is now unnoticed at best. Terry Pegula has no idea what he is doing nor does he know what to do. Like a President trapped in a failing policy, he is left only to spew a "stay the course" rallying cry, which is producing more crying than a rally. The coach has lost control, the GM seems like a deer in headlights, and the team President can only speak of frustration with MSG and Time Warner Cable. Then there is Pegula, the billionaire, the passionate fan who promised a Cup in three years, watching his 11th place team wander aimlessly into the stretch producing little more than an excuse for frustrated fans to call into sports radio shows to vent, sit there and explicitly say that he will do nothing. Leaderless, inside the dressing room and out, the Sabres continue to drift wherever the team's weak will takes it. These are dark days in Buffalo and that flicker of hope on the horizon fades dimmer and dimmer as those with the power to light the torch do nothing. The bottom cannot come soon enough and "Hockey Heaven's" only hope is that this lifeless decomposing team somehow nourishes the soil in the hopes that some sort of future growth can occur and give the Buffalo faithful a reason to believe in the idea of Pegula-ville again.

Matt
Baltimore

My take: Now that’s a rant. I know when I spoke with Sabres CEO Ted Black a month ago, he preached patience. But I doubt he thought the losing would continue at this rate. Everyone connected with the franchise insists patience will remain. At the very least, from what I hear from other GMs, Sabres GM Darcy Regier is certainly working the phones. I would expect him to make a couple of notable moves between now and the Feb. 27 trade deadline to help shake up this roster. Yes, the injuries are the most significant reason for Buffalo’s disappointing season, but it doesn’t explain everything. There just is something not right with the current makeup of this roster. Even when healthy.
I'd really love to know what those trade conversations are like.....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

Regier: "What would you give me for player X, Y and/or Z?"

Random GM: "Well, we'll give you A, B and/or C. Maybe."

Regier: "You know, we were really looking for something more"

Random GM: *click*

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

"can i give you some crappy wingers for a #1 center?...well why not?"

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:15 PM
MagnumForce

Looking for a new job I hope

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

it definitely worries me that Regier is going to part with valuable assets to try and get this thing back on track THIS year... please dont do that. Half assed "re-tooling" efforts rarely work.... don't be the Calgary Flames... please don't.

just bite the bullet and start over...

Old
01-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

Quote:
Now that’s a rant. I know when I spoke with Sabres CEO Ted Black a month ago, he preached patience. But I doubt he thought the losing would continue at this rate. Everyone connected with the franchise insists patience will remain. At the very least, from what I hear from other GMs, Sabres GM Darcy Regier is certainly working the phones. I would expect him to make a couple of notable moves between now and the Feb. 27 trade deadline to help shake up this roster. Yes, the injuries are the most significant reason for Buffalo’s disappointing season, but it doesn’t explain everything. There just is something not right with the current makeup of this roster. Even when healthy.
As much as Pegula, Black, Regier and Ruff may like to dismiss the negativity currently out there as panic from the local media and fans, this shows that people around the league have noticed the same problems that exist far beyond the simple excuse of injuries.

During the TBN game blog last night, Kevin Dupont of Boston Globe chimed in:

Quote:
GlobeKPD: I don't think Sabres fell off wall and cracked. I think they were a bunch of misfit toys from the start. Lack size, skill, truculence. [via Twitter]
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:22 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
it definitely worries me that Regier is going to part with valuable assets to try and get this thing back on track THIS year... please dont do that. Half assed "re-tooling" efforts rarely work.... don't be the Calgary Flames... please don't.

oh god that possibility, even though it's pretty remote, is frightening

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:23 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:

I doubt Pegula and Black will allow him to do that.

I'm hoping for some of the pre-lockout type re-tooling deals like getting Gilmour, Briere, Drury, etc.

Old
01-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I doubt Pegula and Black will allow him to do that.

I'm hoping for some of the pre-lockout type re-tooling deals like getting Gilmour, Briere, Drury, etc.
to be honest... i dont really want those type of deals.

the entire thing has festered too long, and making those type of deals should undoubtedly improve the team... which keeps Darcy and Lindy here... keeps a lot of the core here... it masks the problems.

im completely in the "blow it to smitherens" camp.
i want the front office and coaching staff gone
i want most of the core gone
i want to fail for mikhail
and then fail again for the next guy
then build around skilled youth at forward, size throughout the lineup and myers/mcnabb on the blueline

i want a new team in Buffalo

Old
01-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Why use the phone when he could talk to the great gragnani in person and get some insight into the future!

"Will I make a cool trade?"

"The Great Gragnani says...yes!"

"Whippee!"

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
making those type of deals should undoubtedly improve the team... which keeps Darcy and Lindy here... keeps a lot of the core here... it masks the problems.
Valid point....

Quote:
Isn't it "Fail for Nail" (meaning Yakupov)?

Old
01-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Valid point....

Isn't it "Fail for Nail" (meaning Yakupov)?
mikHAIL Grigorenko

best player in the draft (center)

Would you rather have Malkin or Kovalchuk ?

Old
01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Vadau Bidau

Quote:

Why are there only a few people that see this? There's no reason to add to this group or "core" however one categorizes this bunch of misfits. We all know this team was still a few pieces from winning it all WITH the co-captains and it's been a steady decline since their deprature(s).

The talent is not there, except for a couple of players (Myers/Vanek) and I would counter that they're not untouchable either. GM/Coach/Core needs to go. I wouldn't attempt to trade Roy/Stafford/Miller, etc. for returning talent; I would get rid of these guys for picks and a couple of veterans to provide leadership.

This group isn't going to win anything, not with this core, gm, or coach.
Jame is 100% correct.

Vadau Bidau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
the entire thing has festered too long, and making those type of deals should undoubtedly improve the team... which keeps Darcy and Lindy here... keeps a lot of the core here... it masks the problems.

then build around skilled youth at forward, size throughout the lineup and myers/mcnabb on the blueline

Well, get ready for one, because if he's working the phones this far in advance of the deadline, he's trying to make a hero trade to salvage the season. I got the impression from LeBrun's quote that Regier is actively calling other teams and trying to make a deal, rather than other teams inquiring about his assets in a selling deal for Buffalo or saying, "Hey, I'm selling these guys, what do you want for them?" If Regier was blowing it up and selling off his assets, he'd likely wait until closer to the deadline when he could maximize his return.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:52 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:

We have some good pieces in place. Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera, Regehr, McNabb, Adam, Vanek, Pomniville, Gerbe and yes, Miller.

OUT: Roy, Stafford, Hecht, Gaustad, Leopold, Weber, Gragnani

We have some good young players that can start to round out the bottom 6 in Kassian and Foligno. Armia should be NHL ready next year.

Vanek-XXXX-Pomniville
Leino-Adam-Armia
Gerbe-XXXX-Kassian
Foligno-XXXX-McCormick

Myers-McNabb
Ehrhoff-Sekera
Regehr-XXXX

Given, our holes are at the hardest position to fill, center. However, given the depth of things we have to move out, we should be able to get a center, if not before the deadline, certainly in the offseason.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:55 PM
LGB24

Quote:
mikHAIL Grigorenko

Agreed. Big centre over small winger. Yakupov has unbelievable talent and is looks to be a star for years, but the same can be said for Grig, the only thing that scares me is his numbers are inflated a bit playing in the Q.
If we don't have a top 2 pick say we have top 5 or 6 we can still draft Galchenyuk. The only reason this dude is lower is because of his knee injury. Had he been injury free he could be #1 just as easy as the other 2.
So 2 good draft options for center there in my opinion, if we miss out on one of those 2 I'll honestly lose it (assuming we have a top 5 pick)

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
We have some good pieces in place. Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera, Regehr, McNabb, Adam, Vanek, Pomniville, Gerbe and yes, Miller.

We have some good young players that can start to round out the bottom 6 in Kassian and Foligno. Armia should be NHL ready next year.

Vanek-XXXX-Pomniville
Leino-Adam-Armia
Gerbe-XXXX-Kassian
Foligno-XXXX-McCormick

Myers-McNabb
Ehrhoff-Sekera
Regehr-XXXX

Given, our holes are at the hardest position to fill, center. However, given the depth of things we have to move out, we should be able to get a center, if not before the deadline, certainly in the offseason.
Leino sucks, in no way do I want him retarding Armia's play. Not crazy about Adam on the top 2 lines either, but if he trains hard he could be better conditioned for next season.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Well, get ready for one, because if he's working the phones this far in advance of the deadline, he's trying to make a hero trade to salvage the season. I got the impression from LeBrun's quote that Regier is actively calling other teams and trying to make a deal, rather than other teams inquiring about his assets in a selling deal for Buffalo or saying, "Hey, I'm selling these guys, what do you want for them?" If Regier was blowing it up and selling off his assets, he'd likely wait until closer to the deadline when he could maximize his return.
Probably so - and because he's waited until his team is approaching crisis mode now, he's guaranteed himself to be a victim of the very circumstances that he often has said lead to bad trades: dealing from a position of weakness. Every other team sees the Sabres losing and the media attention the team is getting, which only advertises the desperation Regier will approach other GMs with. Regier's always been fond of telling the media how the best time to trade is from a position of strength, but his infamous procrastination and patience will likely mean he'll have to overpay.

Old
01-17-2012, 05:03 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post

Vanek-XXXX-Pomniville
Leino-Adam-Armia
Gerbe-XXXX-Kassian
Foligno-XXXX-McCormick

Myers-McNabb
Ehrhoff-Sekera
Regehr-XXXX

I'd say there is a .001% chance that Armia is on the Sabres next year. It's expected for him to stay in Finland one more year following this one.

Edit: I'd say 0%. From hockeysfuture.com, "Armia will stay in Finland until 2013 when his contract his up and then make the jump to Western New York for the 2013-14 season. He could step right in for the Sabres at that time or head to Rochester for a season of maturation in the AHL." Assat will not let him out of his contract early so he won't be here next year.

Last edited by thefifagod: 01-17-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Updated
thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:10 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I just watched a few highlight videos of Grigorenko on YouTube.

The kid is very talented and no doubt a future star. But I kept thinking, is this a non checking league? So many times an opposing player could of wiped him out big time, and didn't. In the NHL he would be eaten alive by physical players. Granted he would make some of them look stupid with the talent he has.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Squantosawuss

NO TRADE will result in an "OMG, NOW we're ready!" moment. Reason being, in order to get anything valuable, they are going to HAVE TO give up something valuable, so much so, that fans will be scratching their heads wondering if the Sabres really made out or not.

Forget a #1 center. Darcy would have to give half the team away to come close to that. Teams that are playing well often make trades, which works well for them because they're players are in a better position to fetch more in a trade. Whereas teams toward the bottom have a very tough time since most of their rosters are loaded with guys who are struggling.

Unless you're tanking better than everyone else, tanking sucks. It's quite a cycle of suck to be stuck in.

The no-man's land between #9 and #14 is a rather unfortunate place to reside.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:20 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:

I wanted that when Pegula came on board.

I'm resigned to the belief that there is no way that Pegula would OK that right now.

Old
01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
mikHAIL Grigorenko

No way! Yakupov skates as well as Crosby. So powerful on his skates, he makes good NHL skaters look like amateurs. He'll score 100 pts year in and year out, IMO.

And for the purpose of the OP, the original rant was classic and it's really hard to argue anything he says. Unfortunately, for me by far the best solution is a new coach, which Darcy won't ever do. Like I said in another thread, I think this group of players gave up on Lindy last season, and had it not been for Pegula being a new pair of eyes evaluating them, they would have never turned it around. I'm thinking I don't want to give Lindy any of the credit for last years turn around.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Probably so - and because he's waited until his team is approaching crisis mode now, he's guaranteed himself to be a victim of the very circumstances that he often has said lead to bad trades: dealing from a position of weakness. Every other team sees the Sabres losing and the media attention the team is getting, which only advertises the desperation Regier will approach other GMs with. Regier's always been fond of telling the media how the best time to trade is from a position of strength, but his infamous procrastination and patience will likely mean he'll have to overpay.
I really doubt Regier will get burned on a trade. That's just not his M.O. I'd like to at least give him the benefit of the doubt to know that a lost season is better than putting a bandaid on a gaping wound.

(I could be wrong, though -- I have been before.)

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:33 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Its impossible to tell from that little snippet what Regier's intention is. Not saying you're wrong -- you're probably right, even though I pray you're wrong -- just saying it's hard to gleam his intent based on LeBrun's curt response to a pissed off fan.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote