HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LMHF Report - Game #22

Old
01-22-2012, 12:40 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Report - Game #22

EDMONTON 2

VS.

CALGARY 6
--------------

I'm not even sure how much it's worth talking about tonight's game but I'm gonna do so anyway. We've all seen this movie before; I can't believe I am writing about it twice in three games but that's where we are.

I'd like to start by talking about the coaching tonight which, even though the players played very badly, is central to why we lost the game tonight. Tom Renney is either trying to lose hockey games or has no idea how to deploy players he has. Starting the game with the line he had Eberle on was a joke. The fact that he plays the fourth line after nearly every goal is a joke. And finally pulling the goalie when his team had absolutely no chance to come back and win is a joke. I don't know what this man thinks he's doing. Either way he should not be the coach of this hockey team any longer. He has simply not shown enough skill at the job. I also heard his explanation of the play at the end of the first period...brutal. How can you not know how much time is left on the clock?

To lose to Calgary in this way on Hockey Night in Canada is nothing short of embarrassing. None of the lines put forward a strong effort but I think the first line still had the best game of a sad lot. The thing is, this line gets broken up on the power play and the key elements, that being 83 and 4 get broken up. This disrupts any flow they might have and leads to a whole lot of nothing.

It is not as if Calgary played an exceptionally strong game. They took a very small amount of shots they did not pressure us very hard. The generally struggled to establish a flow just like us. It was almost as if their players were kind of laughing at the success they were having tonight.

Where we go from here I really don't know. Our defense is so bad and allowed so many five-star chances tonight even though Calgary did not really play all that well, they could have very well scored 10. Our goaltending is horrible and I don't believe either of these men should be trusted to keep net for us in the future. Please trade 35 while he still has some value from the strong numbers he put up early.

This game was never really a contest. We weren't ready to play and by the time anyone cared or was organized enough to do anything, we were already well behind. Momentum seemed to be changing, not enough to win but enough to make it respectable in the third period. Then of course Hordichuk went and took a bonehead penalty as he does (he also hid like a damn coward behind the refs rather than confront the CGY defenders. Pathetic). I am really sick of our fourth line acting like they're superstars with guaranteed jobs. These boneheads go out, don't hit anyone and try to play the game like they have the skill that our young stars have. What a joke. If they did anything at all maybe there'd be some excuse for the way they're playing the game but they are contributing negatively every single night and if at all possible should be shipped out immediately. There's one thing worse than no toughness and that is stupid, useless toughness. I honestly can't believe any coaching method that would see these players come out after goals for or against has any chance of succeeding. I have never seen a good or even bad team do it. Why are we doing it?

The thing about the atmosphere in the building is that people don't know how to react anymore. I found myself getting angry at my fellow fans for cheering the first and second goals that we scored tonight as the team on the ice did not deserve to be cheered at all at any point during the game. I was upset that they were cheered when they returned to the ice in a second. In the third, they did not receive a cheer as they took the ice which was telling. They were also roundly booed as they left the ice. This squad had better get used to that kind of reaction from the crowd if they intend to put out efforts like the one we saw. We are not a great team it is certainly true but that is no excuse for being unprepared unready and playing such a sloppy game.

Belanger should find himself in the press box next game. Just because he's back from injury does not guarantee him ice time. He is the black hole where scoring chances, good passes, and any good hockey play go to die. I don't know what is wrong with him this year, but I don't see him fixing it or putting in any effort to fix it. He has played the same game, every game since he came to this team and that game is unacceptable. There are more worthy players playing on the third line in Oklahoma City.

I cannot believe that Jordan Eberle had to put up with those linemates. The one shift he got on a decent line he set up a goal. Other than that, he was completely on his own. How a good coach doesn't recognize this I have no idea, and to reach the NHL, our coach should be good.

What I keep coming back to is how horrible an experience this was as an Oilers fan. I'm really sick of this garbage. There needs to be some improvement; any improvement even as the game goes on if the team can improve it would be helpful. Instead it just gets worse. The frustration level must be high, but that is no excuse for the sloppy disgusting passes, skating, and everything else that is on display in our old old barn on a given night. I'm really sick of trying to retell the narrative after these games which seemed to make up about half of those I'm attending right now. Where do we go from here as fans?

You want to see his team succeed, you believe in some of the players and you believe in the idea of the organization but that is really all you have left.

I find it disgusting that before these games the journalists covering the Oilers mock the Flames, when as of tonight I believe they are in a playoff spot. Just because you don't finish first overall does not mean you're a failure doomed to lose out of the playoffs. How these guys continue to justify the approach that management has taken and believe (if they even really do) that success is the inevitable result I have no idea. Their eyes should tell them differently. Their brains should also tell them differently after watching the injuries and generally freak occurrences the Oilers have experienced for the past number of years. I don't know what else to really do as a fan; I mean I could yell until I'm blue in the face, I can boo, I can have a complete hope that things will be alright, but I don't know if there's anything that will bring any satisfaction or joy right now. This team is simply not improving.

When it comes to the players again I really don't think it isn't any value to highlight the individual efforts tonight. They were mostly bad save for a very select group. The defense specifically was horrendous. Is there really any point in spending any more energy on it than to say that? We could have acquired depth when the team was playing well early in the year to backstop injuries and prevent THIS. We didn't

I hope maybe some of you are a able to provide some answers as to where we all go from here, but I don't know if you're going to be able to. This team is just so bad and has sacrificed such a promising start (even if it were based on some crazy percentages). Doesn't mean that you can't change the game as you go forward. I truly cannot believe that wasting 400 games, which is what five seasons adds up to, will be worth it at this stage. There are no signs that is the case and that things will work out perfectly. If anything we've come to understand that things can go horribly horribly wrong.

Lastly, these guys need to cease pumping the tires of Taylor Hall. He's excellent and he's putting out an effort, but the attempt to gloss over horrible performances by talking about one good player (while totally ignoring our best player, #14) and continuing to make excuse after excuse after excuse for management is disgusting. Lumping Taylor into that narrative does him a disservice.

So, that's that. Another horrible loss to Calgary. Another wasted Saturday night. Another national embarrassment.

I would wholly support a change in the NHL rules getting rid of the awarding of the best draft picks to the worst teams right now. That it allows so many excuses and encourages teams to give up early is anti-sport.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Mcnitty
such wow

vCash: 391
30th place dynasty is ours!

Mcnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Ice on Whyte and the Legislature and dinner out were better than watching this atrocity. Not sure how you do it LMHF.

I caught the third period end of trainwreck after getting home.

lol about how the big bad Oilers played 3shifts in a row with intensity after they scored. For a moment playing like the game meant something. Then pk and lethargy set in again.

They need 20 defibrillators in the dressing room.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:46 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I forgot to note that this was quite possibly the worst game I've seen Jones play. Nearly every single puck he touched wound up on a Flames' stick next. It was eery.

Old
01-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Jones hasn't been very good for a long time. Midnight has struck for "The Flow."

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:53 AM
PeakMcOil
Loyal To The Oil

I vote LMHF for head coach! Or the next guy who posts. Or the next guy that walks by the Oilers office. Don't mean to be sexist, it can be a girl too . Or a dog. Cats are also ok, as are crows, ravens and monkeys. Some aqauatic rodents may be considered as well.

I always read and respect your game reports LMHF, but I can't even go over the mess this team is anymore, sunny days ahead I hope.

PeakMcOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:09 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
I vote LMHF for head coach! Or the next guy who posts. Or the next guy that walks by the Oilers office. Don't mean to be sexist, it can be a girl too . Or a dog. Cats are also ok, as are crows, ravens and monkeys. Some aqauatic rodents may be considered as well.

I always read and respect your game reports LMHF, but I can't even go over the mess this team is anymore, sunny days ahead I hope.
I was once democratically elected head coach of the Oilers by HF and have not gotten my opportunity. I'm waiting for the Oilers military to enforce the HF Oilers constitution...or something.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:10 AM
mactforcoach

As hard as it is to watch right now, we still drive 140 km each way to attend every game. I'll admit it's getting to be a long drive home after each loss but I don't think we've seen the bottom yet. I expect things to get worse before they get better in the short term. No reason to think Whitney's return is going to make a difference.

I commented tonight that it's pretty sad when a 19 yr old rookie RNH is leaned on to carry this team on his shoulders. I think you'll see at least one fairly big trade by the deadline, my guess is Hemsky's as good as gone for a good young d-man (maybe from LA)

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:16 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
30th place dynasty is ours!
Does everyone remember that Edmonton Sun cover with DYNASTY on it? They should do a mock issue if the team manages to finish last for the third straight year.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Does everyone remember that Edmonton Sun cover with DYNASTY on it? They should do a mock issue if the team manages to finish last for the third straight year.
The Dy(ve)nasty/travesty lives, that's for damn sure. The exasperation level keeps reaching new heights for all of us. Thanks for your reports as always.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:24 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
"Dienasty" ?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:25 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Well, there is a couple of things you could do. You could complain to the Oiler's office. As a season ticket holder, hopefully you would have a voice.

Ultimately you could refuse to support such a bass akwards organization and not renew your season tickets. But that would be up to you.

If a sizeable portion of the season ticket holder fanbase did exactly that, I would think we would see some drastic changes fairly quickly.

But if the building continues to sell out, and there continues to be a waiting list to purchase season tickets. Then there really is no impetus for them to change anything is there?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:29 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well, there is a couple of things you could do. You could complain to the Oiler's office. As a season ticket holder, hopefully you would have a voice.

Ultimately you could refuse to support such a bass akwards organization and not renew your season tickets. But that would be up to you.

If a sizeable portion of the season ticket holder fanbase did exactly that, I would think we would see some drastic changes fairly quickly.

But if the building continues to sell out, and there continues to be a waiting list to purchase season tickets. Then there really is no impetus for them to change anything is there?
Sadly if 13,000 season ticket holders gave up their tickets there would be 13,000 people there to pick them up. However I like your idea of season ticket holders contacting the Oilers office to voice their opinion.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:36 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

This franchise is like a lazy family that gets tired of getting up at 7am every morning for work and decides to go on welfare.

I truly believe the draft lottery rules will be changed due to Edmonton's poor play. Give each of the bottom 5 teams a 10% chance of winning.

Embarrassing predictable **** hockey by a **** team ran by a **** organization.

Pulling the goalie at 5-2???? You think your team, who forgot how to play with a man advantage, who scores with the goalie pulled every 3 years, and needs 2 weeks to score 3 goals, is gonna somehow pull all three of those off simulatiously???

FFS! The bench management is a joke, don't be afraid to shuffle the lines, don't be afraid to not purposely match your 4th line against the Iginla line...

What a joke. Hall needs to send a Rolex to whoever negotiated UFA status at 27.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
This franchise is like a lazy family that gets tired of getting up at 7am every morning for work and decides to go on welfare.

I truly believe the draft lottery rules will be changed due to Edmonton's poor play. Give each of the bottom 5 teams a 10% chance of winning.

Pulling the goalie at 5-2???? You think your team, who forgot how to play with a man advantage, who scores with the goalie pulled every 3 years, and needs 2 weeks to score 3 goals, is gonna somehow pull all three of those off simulatiously???

FFS! The bench management is a joke, don't be afraid to shuffle the lines, don't be afraid to not purposely match your 4th line against the Iginla line...

Back when the Penguins and the Hawks were tanking for picks I thought that the draft system might change due the fact that they were blatantly abusing the system.

I never thought in a million years that we'd hit that low. It was unfathomable.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:54 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

This is especially frustratng for those of us who came of age as fans in the late 90s/early 00s.

I was six when the Oilers last won. I remember watching the game, but I wasn't aware enough to take it in really.

We watched horrid teams in the mid 90s. We watched some excellent players come into their own in the later 90s, only to be sent away because the various owners decided they could no longer afford them. We could very well have run the West for years with Weight and Arnott running the show.

Much of the same continued in the new century. At least we had hope and something of an excuse then. With that excuse removed, ownership and management have decided that aside from one year, giving up and hoping things sort themselves out is the ONLY WAY. When I hear this team compared to the Columbus, Atlanta, NYI and Florida organizations, it makes me ill. We have a proud history, a strong fan base, and no excuses. That we're here, once again receiving backhanded compliments that remind me so much of "that Edmonton team is so fast!" and "I love playing on that great ice" and "They try really hard" and "They have great young talent!" it makes me sick.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:54 AM
PeakMcOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post

Hall and RNH will be 25 when they reach UFA status actually, but the rest of your post is spot on.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:56 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

You know what is really disturbing? Even if things turn out and we win even ONE...we'll still have the memories of all of this garbage.

Are we building a dynasty? Incredibly unlikely in this age of sports. Playing the incredibly low percentages in this way is stupid.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:01 AM
PeakMcOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
As hard as it is to watch right now, we still drive 140 km each way to attend every game. I'll admit it's getting to be a long drive home after each loss but I don't think we've seen the bottom yet. I expect things to get worse before they get better in the short term. No reason to think Whitney's return is going to make a difference.

I commented tonight that it's pretty sad when a 19 yr old rookie RNH is leaned on to carry this team on his shoulders. I think you'll see at least one fairly big trade by the deadline, my guess is Hemsky's as good as gone for a good young d-man (maybe from LA)
Kudos to you, as much as I want to just give up on this team I can't. I still watch every game (wish I could afford tickets) and kinda live my life according to how the team does. RNH, Hall and Eberle is an almost unprecedented amount of fwd talent, we've got a nice set of up and coming blueliners and a good set of depth, veteran forwards.

Tencer was talking about how, if you compare rosters, our team should be a lot better than it is. I agree, so where is the logical point to place the blame? Coaching, maybe management to a lesser degree. Clean house, with another top 4 pick and next year is the year (I've been saying this for the past 5 years, maybe someday I'll learn.)

Old
01-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
This is especially frustratng for those of us who came of age as fans in the late 90s/early 00s.

I was six when the Oilers last won. I remember watching the game, but I wasn't aware enough to take it in really.

We watched horrid teams in the mid 90s. We watched some excellent players come into their own in the later 90s, only to be sent away because the various owners decided they could no longer afford them. We could very well have run the West for years with Weight and Arnott running the show.

Much of the same continued in the new century. At least we had hope and something of an excuse then. With that excuse removed, ownership and management have decided that aside from one year, giving up and hoping things sort themselves out is the ONLY WAY. When I hear this team compared to the Columbus, Atlanta, NYI and Florida organizations, it makes me ill. We have a proud history, a strong fan base, and no excuses. That we're here, once again receiving backhanded compliments that remind me so much of "that Edmonton team is so fast!" and "I love playing on that great ice" and "They try really hard" and "They have great young talent!" it makes me sick.
We're the same age LMHF so I really, REALLY understand how you feel.

So many regrets. So many "what ifs."

"What if we had Katz's money back in the late 90's when Weight was here?"

"What if we won in 2006? Would these lean years hurt as much?"

Ugh.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

At the start of next season they should have a "30th" banner raised to the rafters with smiling tambos mug on it

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:08 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
We're the same age LMHF so I really, REALLY understand how you feel.

So many regrets. So many "what ifs."

"What if we had Katz's money back in the late 90's when Weight was here?"

"What if we won in 2006? Would these lean years hurt as much?"

Ugh.
The more defining what ifs of my time:

What if Arnott and Weight had stayed?

What if they hadn't totally screwed up Comrie and his brother hadn't been forced to retire?

What if they handled the Pronger situation and he stayed?

If any of these goes our way, I think we're okay.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
The more defining what ifs of my time:

What if Arnott and Weight had stayed?

What if they hadn't totally screwed up Comrie and his brother hadn't been forced to retire?

What if they handled the Pronger situation and he stayed?

If any of these goes our way, I think we're okay.
The Weight thing was the beginning of the end. I remember Lowe's BS at the start of that season vividly. "We can keep one but not the other." Weight or Guerin.

When he dealt Guerin I thought, "Ok, Doug's staying." Nope.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:19 AM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Looked up Taylor Hall on Wikipedia...anyone else not know his middle name is Strba?

Anyway, if the Oil get the first overall pick for the 2012 draft, maybe we can hope for a parallel with the 89-91 Nordiques, who picked 1st overall for 3 years & won the cup 5 years later.

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:22 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
Anyway, if the Oil get the first overall pick for the 2012 draft, maybe we can hope for a parallel with the 89-91 Nordiques, who picked 1st overall for 3 years & won the cup 5 years later.
Err, the Nords won it in Colorado, so I hope the Oilers don't have that parallel an experience.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote