Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Dany Heatley...

Old
01-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Top_Scorah19

vCash: 500
Dany Heatley...

How is Heatley looking so far this year? He seems to be struggling on paper, but i havnt watched many Wild games so im curious to see what's bothering him..his point production is way off...

Top_Scorah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:31 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Scorah19 View Post
How is Heatley looking so far this year? He seems to be struggling on paper, but i havnt watched many Wild games so im curious to see what's bothering him..his point production is way off...
His points are obviously going to be much lower when playing with the Wild. He's scored some huge goals for the team.

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:39 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Scorah19 View Post
Production is low but he ha played a very solid overall game for us he has scored some big goals to get wins, can't fault him for his effort it would be nice if the whole team can just get healthy but with the patchwork lines we have i wouldn't expect him to score too much more. also our pp sucks and he has traditionally scored on the pp, we just can't get consistent pressure to have a pp worth a ****

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

vCash: 50
He is on pace to score 25-30 goals for the season. Right about what I expected him to score this season.

Unfortunately so many people who hadn't watched Heatley or the Wild over the last few years were expecting 4o-50 goals from him, which was totally unrealistic to begin with.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:46 PM
State of Hockey

He looks like someone who peaked about 5 years ago. His point production is low because he simply isn't a great offensive player anymore.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:47 PM
saywut

He's been about what I expected. Was expecting a few more goals(30-35 where he's on pace for ~25) but he's also been better defensively than anticipated, and his goals have been in the right situation. Slow, at times invisible, not the "sniper" he once was, but he's still the best goal scorer we have. Was happy with the trade at the time and still am.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:47 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Can't fault him too much for his play. Early in the season he had a few opportunities that he failed to take advantage of because he couldn't get the puck off the ice, but he's doing far better than we would have gotten out of Havlat.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Defenses can focus on canceling whatever line he's on sine we have no secondary scoring. Makes things difficult in the offensive zone.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:33 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

could the Wild have gotten a better player for Havlat, the answer is probably yes . He doesn't bother me though, the whole team sucks

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Not that many points on a team that doesn't get that many points. Speaks for itself. But he has been a better all-around player than I thought he would be. He seems to get along with the rest of the team and not be a sideshow clown like many portrayed him to be.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Pepsi12pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
could the Wild have gotten a better player for Havlat, the answer is probably yes . He doesn't bother me though, the whole team sucks
I don't see this happening at all. Name one player better than Heatley WAS, that anyone would have taken Havlat for.

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He's been somewhat of a disappointment. Better defensively than expected but not scoring goals.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:57 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi12pac View Post
I don't see this happening at all. Name one player better than Heatley WAS, that anyone would have taken Havlat for.
1st rounders? Blue Chip Prospects? Jeff Carter?

Havlat scored 62 points the season before he was traded.

There were more options than Heater on the downside of his career.

I feel like Havlat's value was wasted, should have traded him for a younger player or picks/prospects for the future.

Hopefully Heater will have some type of value when his contract ends.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Disagree, don't think Havlat had much value at all....especially not equivalent to Jeff Carter.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

vCash: 1185
If you look at Heatley's career numbers, you can see he relies heavily on PP goals to boost his stats. Last time I checked nearly half of his career goals had come on the PP. He is slow and needs time and space to score on big one timers. The book on #15 is in big bold print.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:57 AM
berdush

Not showing of what we expect till now but he's the only pure sniper on this team already. We need him. At Havlat comparision i also stick with him. The extra salary is the only minus side but still he's one step front. Happy that we made that trade.

berdush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:59 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
1st rounders? Blue Chip Prospects? Jeff Carter?

Havlat scored 62 points the season before he was traded.

There were more options than Heater on the downside of his career.

I feel like Havlat's value was wasted, should have traded him for a younger player or picks/prospects for the future.

Hopefully Heater will have some type of value when his contract ends.
Havlat's value was down somewhere around maybe a second round pick. No, probably lower than that. (At the time) 4 years at $5MM is a lot of money to wrap up in a guy who only hit PPG twice in his career, most recently 5 years ago, has had major injury trouble in the past, and appears to be on the decline. Add to that the fact that he was clearly on the way out of town between his mismatch with the team, and his agent whining incessantly on Twitter. Quite a few teams in the league wouldn't have taken him for free, much less paid with 1st round picks and blue chip prospects.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

I was and still am happy that we got Heatley for Havlat.

As mentioned we got rid of a whining player with decent production and got a player that seems to fit perfectly in our group.. He has been a little disappointment productionwise, but he is the heater and will always be awesome..

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think Havlat was a much better fit in terms of talent that we need, but how can you argue with his poor attitude and injury problems?

Heatley has the great attitude but it's like he's just letting himself become more and more irrelevant. I like that he's so loose and jokes a lot, but I get the feeling he's coasting through the end of his NHL career several years too soon. It can't just be injuries that have slowed him down.

Also he's a prime example of why you don't give tons of money to guys over 30. He hit his prime in his mid 20's and is probably never going to score 25 goals again, and he's barely over 30.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:54 AM
BigT2002

I've honestly never seen someone flirt with the net as much as he does.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Havlat's value was down somewhere around maybe a second round pick. No, probably lower than that. (At the time) 4 years at $5MM is a lot of money to wrap up in a guy who only hit PPG twice in his career, most recently 5 years ago, has had major injury trouble in the past, and appears to be on the decline. Add to that the fact that he was clearly on the way out of town between his mismatch with the team, and his agent whining incessantly on Twitter. Quite a few teams in the league wouldn't have taken him for free, much less paid with 1st round picks and blue chip prospects.
You really think Havlat was only worth a 3rd rounder? Come on now. He was the most talented player on the Wild the last 2 years, Koivu included. He just wasn't a good fit with Koivu on the first line. Koivu doesn't have chemistry with anyone!

I am sure any team would have taken him for free. He is a good player, but lost his motivation playing on a ********* team and frankly I can't blame him.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:37 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
You really think Havlat was only worth a 3rd rounder? Come on now. He was the most talented player on the Wild the last 2 years, Koivu included. He just wasn't a good fit with Koivu on the first line. Koivu doesn't have chemistry with anyone!

I am sure any team would have taken him for free. He is a good player, but lost his motivation playing on a ********* team and frankly I can't blame him.
For $5MM you can have Plekanec, Bergeron, Kesler, Gionta, Ribiero, Ryan, or Havlat. Havlat wasn't worth $5MM in the best year of his deal, and he'll be getting that (while declining) for another 3 after this year. He's had major attitude problems with every team he's played for. For agent attacks your team over Twitter any time Havlat's unhappy (which is all the time). A good half the teams in the league view him as having negative value. He's a good player...signed for another 2 years at $4MM. He's potentially two years away from being Rolston.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:00 PM
saywut

With Havlat we were going to have to take back salary one way or another(like the recent Cammalerri trade), a 2nd or equivalent prospect maybe comes back with a 2nd/3rd liner making 3-4M, but who knows, Havlat's injury prone and been deemed expendable by a few teams in his career. Dany Heatley's #1 on our team in goals and #2 in points, I'd say we did fine.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:07 PM
hipsquare

I've actually liked his game. Solid defensively, plays the system well and when he's on he shoots a lot. I think Koivu/Heatley were our best defensemen when Koivu was healthy. I know that's not what we want out of our first line, but with the actual defensemen on this team it's pretty valuable.

Without Koivu he seems lost. I don't think his game meshes with Cullen's at all. Unlike some people I think Koivu/Heatley had decent chemistry, and it's gotten better as the season has gone on. It's just that Koivu has never had a great shot, and Heatley's has declined since his prime years.

That said, it's pretty depressing when he'll have 5-6 prime scoring chances in a game and only bury one, or none. Lately he hasn't even been getting those chances.

Bottom line: I had an almost irrational dislike for Havlat which has been replaced with an almost irrational like for Heatley. I'm happy I guess.

hipsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If Havlat wasn't worth $5m what does that make Heatley?