HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pens vs Canes Plus/Minus 1-17-12 Free Candy Editon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2012, 04:59 PM
  #126
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Legend has it that Bruce orpic is who Brooks turns into before going crazy and passing free candy out to the opposition. And if anyone missed it in the gdt, that's what a drunk trolling user called him. So this will forever live on our boards.
I love it

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:13 PM
  #127
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice
 
MrBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 15,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Legend has it that Bruce orpic is who Brooks turns into before going crazy and passing free candy out to the opposition. And if anyone missed it in the gdt, that's what a drunk trolling user called him. So this will forever live on our boards.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:16 PM
  #128
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,026
vCash: 500
I really wish Orpik would stop spoiling our "Special Relationship" with the Canes.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:22 PM
  #129
Fogel
Analytics please
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NoVa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Nice article from a Canes site with some scoring chance info from the game. I really wish a Pens site would display this type of scoring chance info, many other team fan sites are.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:31 PM
  #130
SidGenoMario
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
I really wish Orpik would stop spoiling our "Special Relationship" with the Canes.
Oh yeah hey, that's right.

SidGenoMario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
  #131
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck
 
Dick Sledge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Trapped in Kinect 2
Country: United States
Posts: 3,106
vCash: 500
This may sound stupid but I've been wondering for quite some time now. What is the origin of the "free candy" nickname? I've known about it the whole time and used it on multiple occasions but don't know where it came from or how it got started.

Dick Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 03:11 AM
  #132
Saku11
Registered User
 
Saku11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,170
vCash: 500
This?

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:58 AM
  #133
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,415
vCash: 500
What's up with all the journalists pumping Martin's tires lately?

http://post-gazette.com/pg/12019/1204499-61.stm

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur.../s_776722.html

Quote:
Martin is a shutdown defenseman with enough puck skill and savvy to play the point on the power play some and aid in the Penguins transition game.
smh...


I honestly think he is a good player, but there's nothing wrong with just admitting that he has overachieved big time on his $25M contract so far. Martin makes a ton of plays that folks don't notice, but I just still think he hasn't quite lived up to the hype.

This guy is being paid as one of the top defensemen in the league and he simply hasn't played up to that standard. Simple as that IMO.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
  #134
SirBrad
Registered User
 
SirBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,592
vCash: 500
I have no idea what's going on with Martin and the good press. They even had a fluff piece on Cooke in the Trib that I read last night. They all try to be buddy-buddy with the players.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:45 AM
  #135
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,415
vCash: 500
This isn't little sisters of the poor... Martin is getting paid like one of the top players in the league and he isn't performing.

I'll be sad about a lot more things before I take pity on a pro hockey player making $5M that isn't playing well.

Some of the stuff in that article is a bit ridiculous too... like Martin has the skills to play on the PP? Cmon man.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:47 AM
  #136
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
I have no idea what's going on with Martin and the good press. They even had a fluff piece on Cooke in the Trib that I read last night. They all try to be buddy-buddy with the players.
And why would that be, do you think?

If you get blackballed as a beat reporter, you're toast.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:55 AM
  #137
SirBrad
Registered User
 
SirBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And why would that be, do you think?

If you get blackballed as a beat reporter, you're toast.
Sorry, but writers in cities like New York and Boston are able to write truthful articles and still hold the respect of players. There is a difference between respect and trying to be chums with these guys. Most players realize that getting critiqued in by the media when you're not performing is part of the job.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:05 AM
  #138
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!
 
froods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
This isn't little sisters of the poor... Martin is getting paid like one of the top players in the league and he isn't performing.
The top 50 players have a cap hit
of 5.75 or over. He is the 20th highest paid defenseman. Hardly one of the top players in the league.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:15 AM
  #139
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,415
vCash: 500
Did you hear that sound? It was the sound of my point totally going over your head.

The highest paid players in the game are expected to step up (Martin is the highest paid player after Sid/Malkin/Fleury)... and when they have 2 lackluster seasons in a row to kick off a 5 year / $25M deal, I think it's natural to feel a bit disappointed. That is where everyone is kinda at right now.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
  #140
gopens66
#pintailonwinger
 
gopens66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Altoona,Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALKINOCALYPSE View Post
This may sound stupid but I've been wondering for quite some time now. What is the origin of the "free candy" nickname? I've known about it the whole time and used it on multiple occasions but don't know where it came from or how it got started.
It all started with his eyes. You are probably aware that Brooks has a somewhat menacing glare. Some here joked that he looks psychotic. From there, psychotic turned into creepy. Someone then photo-shopped his lidless, glaring face into the driver-side window of a van that had the words "Free Candy" spray-painted on the side. This was now insinuating that he was not only a psycho, but a psycho child abductor. It actually got back to Brooks and he wasn't too happy about it. He allegedly then stalked some HF Pens fans, who haven't been heard from for about five years.

gopens66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:23 AM
  #141
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Sorry, but writers in cities like New York and Boston are able to write truthful articles and still hold the respect of players. There is a difference between respect and trying to be chums with these guys. Most players realize that getting critiqued in by the media when you're not performing is part of the job.
New York media market and the Pittsburgh media market should never be compared. You can hide in NY. Players know who you are in Pittsburgh. And I'm sure Torts would be real quick to give Brooks a quote or something.

You also get more by being chummy with a player than you do by writing things they don't want you to. It's all part of the game. If you were a reporter, would you try to be chummy with players and in turn make your job easier and get more information, or would you write strictly the facts and call guys out all the time? They being cordial with players gives them job security.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:31 AM
  #142
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Did you hear that sound? It was the sound of my point totally going over your head.

The highest paid players in the game are expected to step up (Martin is the highest paid player after Sid/Malkin/Fleury)... and when they have 2 lackluster seasons in a row to kick off a 5 year / $25M deal, I think it's natural to feel a bit disappointed. That is where everyone is kinda at right now.
He has gone up and down this year. But he was very good last year once he got settled in. I wasn't disappointed with him at all last year. This year he keeps showing glimpses of what he can do for a game or two. But he hasn't been able to keep it up this year.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:56 AM
  #143
johnniewalker
Registered User
 
johnniewalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post
It all started with his eyes. You are probably aware that Brooks has a somewhat menacing glare. Some here joked that he looks psychotic. From there, psychotic turned into creepy. Someone then photo-shopped his lidless, glaring face into the driver-side window of a van that had the words "Free Candy" spray-painted on the side. This was now insinuating that he was not only a psycho, but a psycho child abductor. It actually got back to Brooks and he wasn't too happy about it. He allegedly then stalked some HF Pens fans, who haven't been heard from for about five years.
I have a weird feeling that it was me that photoshopped him into a free candy van. I maintain that it was already a long-standing thing even then, so Brooks, if you're reading this, don't stalk me bro.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:51 AM
  #144
NastyNick
Registered User
 
NastyNick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,741
vCash: 500
I'd like to add to the story about free candy, that the photoshop came from a broadcast where Steigerwald said "Brooks is handing out hits like they were free candy", or to some effect. It showed up on thepensblog recap of the game and became widespread from there.

For all those people who hate Steigy, he gave us a gem there.

Personally i always thought the USS Hal gill was funnier.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:21 PM
  #145
johnniewalker
Registered User
 
johnniewalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPenalty View Post
I'd like to add to the story about free candy, that the photoshop came from a broadcast where Steigerwald said "Brooks is handing out hits like they were free candy", or to some effect. It showed up on thepensblog recap of the game and became widespread from there.

For all those people who hate Steigy, he gave us a gem there.

Personally i always thought the USS Hal gill was funnier.
I somehow completely missed that. I distinctly remember making a picture with Orpik staring out of the drivers' seat of that exact van and posting it on here.

Edit: I actually even found the thread! http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=635151

Edit again: Actually, I think I am wrong. Mine was an avatar for the 2009 playoffs that I made for someone... It was this:


Last edited by johnniewalker: 01-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.
johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:19 PM
  #146
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck
 
Dick Sledge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Trapped in Kinect 2
Country: United States
Posts: 3,106
vCash: 500
So it's either Stieggy, Ruutu or a **** van story?

Awesome!

Dick Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:33 AM
  #147
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALKINOCALYPSE View Post
So it's either Stieggy, Ruutu or a **** van story?

Awesome!
I'm not sure the order of the first two, but I'd guess Steiggy said it and then the picture was made. The nickname was already being used before the Ruutu interview for sure though.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.