HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Would you re-sign Penner if....

Old
01-19-2012, 09:05 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Your right because 5 more points in 4 more games is just so shockingly different... Especially when Roenick was pissing and moaning to the media about his skates not being sharpened correctly and making excuses about why he wasn't producing.

I think this is the part where you form a not so smarky response to the other points in my post because there were actually some questions in there that I'd like to here you opinion on...
I'm shocked that I even have to form an intelligent opinion to defend not re-signing Dustin Penner. The guy has been AWFUL but he's been playing better for a few games so throw 2 million at him? Is that the kind of player we want in LA? Don't be great all the time, don't be in shape all the time, just try your best and you can stay? His numbers are worse than Roenicks, that's a fact and Roenick is one of the most hated Kings of all time despite barely playing here. Penner has been a failure in his time in LA and that cannot be rewarded for merely playing well for a few games here and there. That said, when he hits free agency July 1st some team will offer him more than LA and he will be out of here. Why would Penner want to take less money than he made this year to stay in LA where he isn't producing? He needs a fresh start and a fresh stack of Pencakes.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:29 AM
topliner967

vCash: 500
He was brought in as a first/second line winger, clearly he has underperformed (yes, you need to show up on the score sheet more if you're on the top 2 lines), so based on that I would not resign him. If he has a great 2nd half and plays well in the playoffs, yeah maybe he should be considered. I doubt he would be happy playing a 3rd line role next year, which I think he would be destined for if he doesn't produce some better numbers. I think Tikkanen is right, some other team would be willing to give him another chance for more money (as a scoring winger).

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:31 AM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Thing with that is sometimes guys just never learn how to eat or train properly until they are at this level. I used to know a guy that was about 5'10 190lbs and was just cut. Kid was 17 and was build like a tank. You'd look at him and you'd think he'd be a monster when he got on the ice. Problem was that he was a goalie and would take forever to recover from making a save because he spent all his time building muscle instead of juggling, focusing on his core and his balance to improve hand-eye coordination, foot speed etc.
And he's probably working at a Pep Boys right now right?

I just take personal issue with Penner. I work more than full time in an office and have more hobbies than I can count (as well as other obligations) but I still find a way to get in the gym 5 or 6 times a week and eat healthy (for the most part). I'm going to games watching a guy that is paid millions of dollars to play professional hockey and still shows up every day too heavy. Look at his face, you can see that he is still carrying extra weight.

Dude. You're a professional athlete. It is your one and only job is to keep your body ready. Dropping the excess weight should be a 3 or 4 week project, max. To me, it's a slap in the face to each on of us.

Last edited by The Butcher: 01-19-2012 at 11:41 AM.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Penner seems like the type of guy who will end up in Detroit or Philly and then have a rejuvenated year of 25 - 30 goals at some sort of bargain basement price, leading to us to complain about TM, DL, the California lifestyle, Penners wife and pancakes, as well as everything in between.
This wouldn't shock me in the least bit. Just look at what happens to players' careers when they wind up on Detroit. Mikael Samuelsson, Daniel Cleary, Todd Bertuzzi... all have had their careers rejuvenated after donning the Winged Wheel. They have a tendency of placing players in a position to succeed.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:50 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I'm shocked that I even have to form an intelligent opinion to defend not re-signing Dustin Penner. The guy has been AWFUL but he's been playing better for a few games so throw 2 million at him? Is that the kind of player we want in LA? Don't be great all the time, don't be in shape all the time, just try your best and you can stay? His numbers are worse than Roenicks, that's a fact and Roenick is one of the most hated Kings of all time despite barely playing here. Penner has been a failure in his time in LA and that cannot be rewarded for merely playing well for a few games here and there. That said, when he hits free agency July 1st some team will offer him more than LA and he will be out of here. Why would Penner want to take less money than he made this year to stay in LA where he isn't producing? He needs a fresh start and a fresh stack of Pencakes.
/Thread.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Penner seems like the type of guy who will end up in Detroit or Philly and then have a rejuvenated year of 25 - 30 goals at some sort of bargain basement price, leading to us to complain about TM, DL, the California lifestyle, Penners wife and pancakes, as well as everything in between.
Sounds about right.

The same fools in here complaining about him and wishing him the worst when he leaves will probably be the first ones to complain about DL when he pots 20-30 in a red uniform

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:05 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Sounds about right.

The same fools in here complaining about him and wishing him the worst when he leaves will probably be the first ones to complain about DL when he pots 20-30 in a red uniform
I would hardly call anyone fed up with Dustins point production to salary ratio a fool. If he goes on to have success elsewhere I would be happy for him. But as of now I don't think that many around here would argue that the move for Penner was a mistake by DL.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:10 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
I would hardly call anyone fed up with Dustins point production to salary ratio a fool. If he goes on to have success elsewhere I would be happy for him. But as of now I don't think that many around here would argue that the move for Penner was a mistake by DL.
Most King fans know that the majority of players brought in here won't work. Why this keeps happening I really don't understand fully. The other part of having players crap out here is they will go one of 3 roads after LA:1st: They will go to a contender and look like a totally different player. When interviewed they will say how they enjoyed their time in LA and loved the lifestyle. 2nd: Any time they play against the Kings they will score a goal. If you are an ex-King and you can mange to put 2 skates onto the ice you'll end up getting a goal somehow. 3rd: You'll never play hockey again. The end of the line, the retirement home for under achievers or oft-injured NHL players. Kings doctors are still trying to figure out the pesky X-Ray machine and how to use it and haven't heard of the new fangled MRI machine that uses voodoo magic looking into the soul of its patients.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

This is the closest thing we have to a Penner thread...
Quote:
Sutter: "(Penner) went out of the lineup because he was horse(crap), so he'd better step up to the plate or he might not get another look."
Took that from Hammond's twitter page. Pretty scathing remarks.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
This is the closest thing we have to a Penner thread...

Took that from Hammond's twitter page. Pretty scathing remarks.
Holy ****, that's an amazing quote. I love it. Totally added that to the signature. Sutter is starting to heat up. Just what we need. Now go on record and say this about Kompon, and bench him to the stands

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Anybody out there who still wants to re-sign Penner? Amazing what a few days can do to kill an argument.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Anybody out there who still wants to re-sign Penner? Amazing what a few days can do to kill an argument.
Depends on the price

Old
02-18-2012, 01:47 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Depends on the price
1 year 1 million dollars? If he offered to play for $500 I'd tell him no. The Kings need to pass on players who at any time in their NHL careers needed to be heavily motivated to play great hockey. Motivation and LA just don't seem to mix. Any sort of injury history and the Kings also need to pass. If you look at the players that have made their mark in LA who have been acquired via trade or signing I think you'll find most of them were heart and soul guys. Gretzky, Granato, Sandstrom, Norstrom, Lappy, Palffy, Kurri, McSorley-none of these guys had any sort of character issues before they landed in LA and thrived. I thought Dustin Penner would be a great fit for Terry Murray's system, gave him the benefit of the doubt on the past character issues and I thought he would excel going back to a small market team. I was wrong on all fronts, sadly you can't make your heart bigger and that's where Penner is lacking. No eye of the tiger man, eye of the tiger.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

He wasn't heavily motivated in Edmonton and still pulled it off. There is more to it, but at a reduced price, he could prove to be a good third line option for us. I would rather see him go, and I think it is a guarantee he will not be with the team next year. Hell, I think it is guaranteed that he will not be with the team in two weeks... But, as for me personally, if he accepted a reduction of more than half (which is very unlikely, but this whole thing is a hypothetical anyway), then I would take him for the bottom 6. He isn't a liability, has the ability to score, and is a big body to put in front of the net like Handzus was. Better than Richardson.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:59 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
He wasn't heavily motivated in Edmonton and still pulled it off. There is more to it, but at a reduced price, he could prove to be a good third line option for us. I would rather see him go, and I think it is a guarantee he will not be with the team next year. Hell, I think it is guaranteed that he will not be with the team in two weeks... But, as for me personally, if he accepted a reduction of more than half (which is very unlikely, but this whole thing is a hypothetical anyway), then I would take him for the bottom 6. He isn't a liability, has the ability to score, and is a big body to put in front of the net like Handzus was. Better than Richardson.
He won't use that big body Consistantly ( that's why he is benched). Do we need anymore proof that certain Kings players, are not WILLING to pay the price to score.

Symth,Zues,Simmer, All WILLING to do what it takes to score. Hell Kopitar barely uses his body as well. It does no good to have size if you don't use it.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/02/18...ce-for-penner/

Quote:
SUTTER: “It’s not just giving him another shot. He’s a veteran. He better step up to the plate. It’s very simple. He went out of the lineup because he was horse(crap), so he’d better step up to the plate or he might not get another look. It’s simple. When we preach work and those things, and everybody does it, then he better do it.”
Damn.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:04 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
I don't like Sutter, but I will give him this over Murray. Sutter will tell you (and others) you are playing like Garbage. No one likes to hear, that they are playing like Garbage.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:15 PM
TKFAN

No need to read anything between the lines with those comments from Sutter.

TKFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:26 PM
tomd

He has been a healthy scratch for 3 straight games down the playoff stretch in favor of some guys named Nolan and King. Doesn't that say it all? This guy is totally worthless.

To think of even giving him $1 million ($1,000,000) which is more than most people earn in 20 years so that he can loaf for another 82 games is just an insult to any hardworking fan who pays money to watch this team.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:57 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I don't like Sutter, but I will give him this over Murray. Sutter will tell you (and others) you are playing like Garbage. No one likes to hear, that they are playing like Garbage.
Uh...I think that was worse smelling than garbage...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:42 PM
johnjm22

Thank you Sutter. It's sad that its taken this long for someone in the Kings organization to finally tell it like it is.

As far as the possibility of resigning Penner goes, I can honestly say I wouldn't want him back even at league minimum.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:45 PM
fyrescorp

Would I sign Penner if I were GM?

Never, ever, ever, ever.

Did I say never?

I would bring up Linden Vey before I signed him again. A couple of weeks doesn't make up for the last year of complete suckage.

fyrescorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:39 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I'd still discuss it, but at this point, my decision would be based on Sutter. Assuming Sutter is back next year, I'd want to know if he felt Penner could be an effective player for him or not.

If Sutter said yes, then I'd look at signing him. Like him or hate him, Penner still has the skills to be a goalscorer and we all know we need one. He's a potential low cost, high reward player.

That all said, I dubt it becomes an issue. Penner is almost a guarantee to want out himself in an effort to find a better place in which to rejuvenate his career.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Penner will be playing softball next season.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote