HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D has not played well in the last 3 games

Old
01-17-2012, 11:28 PM
jg729

vCash: 500
D has not played well in the last 3 games

Specifically Gonchar, Kuba, and Cowen.

I think we need to increase Phillips icetime. Neither Gonchar and Kuba look sharp, Cowen looks slow and tired.

We don't have Lee so I say play Phillips more and maybe even dress Borowiecki for the ANA game. Its a long season, we need depth and leadership down the stretch.

jg729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Minister of Offence

Cowen did well tonight other than that one play. Kept Kessel in check on several one on one situations.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:34 PM
jg729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Cowen did well tonight other than that one play. Kept Kessel in check on several one on one situations.
A month ago Cowen looked like Chara in the defensive zone.

jg729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg729 View Post
A month ago Cowen looked like Chara in the defensive zone.
Yeah the best hockey he's played was when he was leading the team in minutes when his role increased as a result of injuries.

I didn't say he's played his best, I just said he's been fine. He's still a top 4 Dman at 20 years old and will have ups and downs.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:37 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Team is simply gassed right now is my take.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:48 PM
SensFactor

Sens need some defensive help. It might be coming with the addition of Boroweicki this road trip.

Some have mentioned that Toni Lydman would be a great addition to the lineup if we were to make the playoffs. I think they need another veteran on D with some grit.

Cowen is our top 4 D of the future and is still only 20.

SensFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:15 AM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Team is simply gassed right now is my take.
They are flatlining...I agree. They only have it in short bursts. Hopefully they can somehow find a way to recharge.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:33 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

You could probably change the title to Team hasn't played well in 6 games aside from Anderson aka satan. Bad habits are creeping into their game and they still manage to win. Its hard to coach a team to do things better when they keep winning. A few loses in a row would make the coach's jobs easier imo.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:35 AM
SENSfreak_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
They are flatlining...I agree. They only have it in short bursts. Hopefully they can somehow find a way to recharge.
All Star Break, and a week off at the end of the month should hopefully help.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
A lot of people forget that Cowen is still a rookie. He's going to go through the ups and downs that most rookie go through. He'll have a
bad game or two but his good games have been far more frequent then his bad ones.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:10 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Kuba is still doing quite well.

I was impressed with how the D played over the last 13 minutes of the 3rd.

Really locked down the Leafs. Considering they must have been exhausted, the fact that the Leafs didn't sniff much for the end of the period was impressive.

I agree that we as a team are giving up too many shots, and that Phillips and Carkner have puck moving issues.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Holdurbreathe

The team as a whole has looked a little sluggish recently, but that is to be expected with the road games and the number of games they have played.

Kuba, Gonchar, Phillips and Alfie aren't young, so road trips and back-to-back games are a little tougher on them.

Then consider Cowen, Condra, Greening, Daugavins and Butler are experiencing the NHL grind for the first time, ups and downs are to be expected.

It seems some people have forgotten this team is in re-build mode, are some of us spending a little too much time looking at the standings, then setting unrealistic expectations?.

While it is easy to get excited by the team's performance so far, it only gets tougher going forward.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Zillaege

I very much disagree. While defensive zone breakdowns have been a large issue for much of the season, I've thought our defensive zone coverage has been excellent the past few games. How many second and third opportunities, or shots from the slot did the leafs have last night? Very few, especially when you consider that they managed to get 39 shots off. Everything was from the perimeter and Anderson didn't have to make much in the way of high quality saves. Our issue has been our complete lack of sustained pressure. In general our gap between the forwards and defence has been far too large, leading to lots of ill-conceived passes and turnovers. Even when we do gain the zone, theres no support to create a cycle. The forwards are cheating a bit too much and flying the zone too early, and the defense aren't creating enough up ice pressure, and I'm hoping both of these issues are simply related to fatigue.

Zillaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:48 PM
jbeck5

Quick OT question...if you get removed from a discussion, who do you see about that...how do you find out who removed you?

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...

A losing streak and the All-Star break would probably do the Sens well.... Fingers crossed they can turn it around without the wakeup call

Jbeck, you earned the Punishment of the Mods, Don't bother trying to appeal it or whatever it is you can/think you can do about it.

Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:05 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskimo View Post
A losing streak and the All-Star break would probably do the Sens well.... Fingers crossed they can turn it around without the wakeup call

Jbeck, you earned the Punishment of the Mods, Don't bother trying to appeal it or whatever it is you can/think you can do about it.
The thing is, i have all afternoon. My class isn't until 6. i don't mind wasting their time. .They always answer back(it's their job) so aslong as you're polite, and extremely annoying, it works sometimes. I've gotten a couple infractions removed in the past that way. use logic in a polite way and argue your points using good examples making them realize they're wrong. The good hearted mods will remove the infraction.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:13 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
The team as a whole has looked a little sluggish recently, but that is to be expected with the road games and the number of games they have played.

Kuba, Gonchar, Phillips and Alfie aren't young, so road trips and back-to-back games are a little tougher on them.

Then consider Cowen, Condra, Greening, Daugavins and Butler are experiencing the NHL grind for the first time, ups and downs are to be expected.

It seems some people have forgotten this team is in re-build mode, are some of us spending a little too much time looking at the standings, then setting unrealistic expectations?.

While it is easy to get excited by the team's performance so far, it only gets tougher going forward.
The key for Ottawa is this road trip Feb & Mar are not that bad for this team so no i would not really say it gets harder.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
The key for Ottawa is this road trip Feb & Mar are not that bad for this team so no i would not really say it gets harder.
My comment wasn't referring to the schedule, but the games themselves. As the playoffs get closer, the games get tougher and with the number of teams in play, no nights off.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:42 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
My comment wasn't referring to the schedule, but the games themselves. As the playoffs get closer, the games get tougher and with the number of teams in play, no nights off.
Right now there is a 8 point gap between Ottawa and 8th place Washington now if they gap grows to say 16 points in the next month then yes they could afford to have night off etc.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:11 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Right now there is a 8 point gap between Ottawa and 8th place Washington now if they gap grows to say 16 points in the next month then yes they could afford to have night off etc.
It's Florida that will be fighting for 8th because Washington will probably win the Southeast division. At the moment Ottawa is 6 points up on Florida but the Panthers have 3 games in hand so it's tighter than it seems.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:50 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
While the Sens may have looked a little sluggish they are still winning or at the very least making it to overtime or the shootout & getting at least a point. After this western swing they will get some time to rest during the allstar break & should be ready to go again. I expect them to come back to Ottawa with 5 of a possible 8 pts this trip. Has there been any word on any of the injured guys & when they will be ready to return?

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I'm a bit more concerned with our forwards.

We're spending a lot of time in our own zone, which tires out our D.

Given how many shots we muster a game, we need more offensive zone time, better cycling, better forechecking, and more pressure on their side of the ice.

Old
01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

Given how many shots we muster a game, we need more offensive zone time, better cycling, better forechecking, and more pressure on their side of the ice.
I think we're relying on cycling the puck way too much. It seems to be all we have right now. Last few games, the Sens were really struggling to gain speed in the neutral zone and carry the play to the net. Their line rushes were horrible and consequently they had to go back to dumping the puck and cycling.

I'd like to see someone gain the blue line and make an actual pass that becomes a shot on net instead of always just dumping it in the corner. Cycling is great and it works to a point, but they need to get into the offensive zone with speed and create chances off the rush as well.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

I've been frustrated with the forwards too, mainly the wingers. The defence sometimes has to make a reactionary play with the puck and send it to where the wingers are supposed to be but lately they're not there and its an easy interception for the other team. They seem to be wandering the defensive zone far too much.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:23 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
I'd like to see someone gain the blue line and make an actual pass that becomes a shot on net instead of always just dumping it in the corner. Cycling is great and it works to a point, but they need to get into the offensive zone with speed and create chances off the rush as well.
Well, I think we need to see more transition offence from our 1st and 2nd lines and more strong cycling and net play from our 3rd line.

Since Neil's goal against Pittsburgh, he hasn't really been noticeable, at least in terms of the offensive zone. Same goes for Zack Smith.

4th line needs to try and get the puck deep and hold it as long as possible.

Every line has their own responsibility, I just don't think any of them are really playing up to potential over the past few games.