HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injury Talk 4.0: Markov practicing with the team, now with contact

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 05:14 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
No you won't, not unless you look back before the present millenia. That's what you don't get. And yes, the facts (other known cases) show a higher probability of him coming back to form, and the historical facts show that when he's up to form, this team is a 100 points team, no matter the goalie. Deal with it.
Orthopedic surgeons disagree with you. And so far, Markov's knee disagrees with you as well.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:19 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Human beings are not robots where you can simply replace a part and have it back working at 100%.

Here is something to consider........

ACL reconstruction surgery has a success rate of 80-90%. However, that leaves a substantial number of patients that have unsatisfactory results. Eight percent of these poor results are thought to be due to knee instability or re-rupture of the ACL graft. Failure of an ACL reconstruction is often hard to describe. The patient can have complaints of knee instability, pain, stiffness, or the inability to return to desired activities. Treatment for failed ACLs is complex and technically challenging, and the results of revision ACL surgery are not as good a primary ACL reconstruction.

http://www.scoi.com/revision-acl.htm

(Southern California Orthopedic Institute)
The patient must understand that the results of revision ACL reconstructions are not as good as the initial ACL and the goal of the revision is to allow the patient to do their activities of daily living instead of return to competitive athletics. The patient should have realistic goals and understand all of the issues, but can be reassured that with the proper evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation, a successful outcome can be expected in most cases.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:24 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
The patient must understand that the results of revision ACL reconstructions are not as good as the initial ACL and the goal of the revision is to allow the patient to do their activities of daily living instead of return to competitive athletics. The patient should have realistic goals and understand all of the issues, but can be reassured that with the proper evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation, a successful outcome can be expected in most cases.

The people who are saying that once Markov comes back he will be as good as he was before the surgeries are simply showing willful naivete or wishful thinking.

Yes Markov is an elite athlete and I am sure that his conditioning and preparation is above par as well. The problem is that his injury is to a ligament.

With all that said, Markov should not even come close to trying to play this year. That would be foolish on PG's part to allow him to play even if he says he is ready for this season. The risk/reward leans too far to the former and not nearly enough to the latter.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:37 PM
SAKS AVENUE

If the doctors give Markov the green light this year then he should play.

1. to test his knee in real game situations, so that we don't wait until next October to find out something is still wrong.

2. Ease him in slowly to get rid of jitters. It will take him sometime to get his swag back. I'd rather that be now then October

3. Actually, If Markov is deemed ready, there are no reasons I can think of to keep him from playing. It is what it is, if his knee fails him now, it will in Oct.......and if he happens to get hurt again by freak accident, well that's just how it goes.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
If the doctors give Markov the green light this year then he should play.

1. to test his knee in real game situations, so that we don't wait until next October to find out something is still wrong.

2. Ease him in slowly to get rid of jitters. It will take him sometime to get his swag back. I'd rather that be now then October

3. Actually, If Markov is deemed ready, there are no reasons I can think of to keep him from playing. It is what it is, if his knee fails him now, it will in Oct.......and if he happens to get hurt again by freak accident, well that's just how it goes.
I would rather have it fail now than in October...huge advantage is if it fails now you have the summer and UFA's to potentially replace him.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:39 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Quote:
The people who are saying that once Markov comes back he will be as good as he was before the surgeries are simply showing willful naivete or wishful thinking.

Yes Markov is an elite athlete and I am sure that his conditioning and preparation is above par as well. The problem is that his injury is to a ligament.

With all that said, Markov should not even come close to trying to play this year. That would be foolish on PG's part to allow him to play even if he says he is ready for this season. The risk/reward leans too far to the former and not nearly enough to the latter.

If his knee is ready then he needs to play. Clearly he is not being rushed. I think we can all agree on that.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

The ligament that was injured was taken our and replaced by another one.

Why would playing this year be any more risky than playing next year?

Old
02-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I would rather have it fail now than in October...huge advantage is if it fails now you have the summer and UFA's to potentially replace him.
We can do this anyway.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We can do this anyway.
How so?

Say he blows out his ACL again on November 15th(versus March 15th), who can you just go out and sign?

At least if it happens now you have almost 6 mil of cap room that you can use from LITR replacement. In October you can also use it but then you have to make a trade, by that point nobody is yet eliminated.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

If he's cleared to play, then he'll play. There's no benefit to keeping him out when he's healed. Someone that is healed cannot heal more.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
How so?

Say he blows out his ACL again on November 15th(versus March 15th), who can you just go out and sign?

At least if it happens now you have almost 6 mil of cap room that you can use from LITR replacement. In October you can also use it but then you have to make a trade, by that point nobody is yet eliminated.
Dude, we should expect that he'll blow out his ACL in November. That's my point. PLAN for it. Assume it will happen. If Markov is in good shape then great but don't expect it.

What part of this don't you understand?

Problem is of course that we're running out of runway on the cap because we keep absorbing more dumb contracts like Kaberle's.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If he's cleared to play, then he'll play. There's no benefit to keeping him out when he's healed. Someone that is healed cannot heal more.
Well, there is some benefit but uh... we can't talk about that.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
How so?

I believe LG's point is that we should sign someone anyways this summer.
He's right.

Even if Markov plays the last two months and is amazing, it's still a small sample and we can't take another gamble on him next season. We did it this year and got screwed, don't do the same mistake twice.

The cap space no longer is an issue imo. You have a lot of space now. We're also likely to fix the Gomez situation, either buying him out or sending him down. That would create a big chunk of change too. Not to mention the possibility of the cap increasing yet again.

Old
02-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
It all depends on what is up with Moen. I'm sure Cunneyworth won't rush him if not needed. Could be good for him if he gets sent for a stint with the Dogs, but could also backfire if something were to go wrong. We're pretty low on bodies at forward right now so i think he'll stick around.
Does anyone know, other than "upper body injury", what is wrong with Moen?

Old
02-03-2012, 10:36 AM
skipp18

I read on twitter that Markov has been been spending all his rehab time practicing for Battle of the Blades and the figure skates are responsible for all of his setbacks.

markov.jpg

Old
02-03-2012, 10:43 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Does anyone know, other than "upper body injury", what is wrong with Moen?
I hope he's gonna be healthy before the Trade deadline. I would had like that Gionta be healthy too, but won't happen.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:44 AM
StellerEller
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
This is disgraceful, I hope you guys are proud of yourselves and your ridiculously immature attempt at witty one-liners while reveling in the misfortune of the best player on your favourite team. Seriously, why come to this thread and hang around making stupid posts like this? Find something better to do with your life other than cheering for the guy to be constantly injured / retired.

Needed to be said. I hope that if we do finish in an abysmal spot, only the real fans remain (though it would only last until we start winning again). Probably not going to happen, but a man can dream can't he?

Hope Markov if/when he comes back can stay healthy, love that guy.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:54 AM
lillypad33

The worst thing about this forum is the number of people who pretend they know anything about reconstructive surgery, and more importantly, the complications that Markov faced with his.
To my knowledge, not one surgeon who operated on Markov visits this forum, yet we have many experts comments.
It's getting a little bit sickening to see all the speculation that is going on actually.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:59 AM
PunkinDrublic*

If this team had a healthy Markov since the beginning of the season we be in the playoffs.

Just sit back and think about how many injuries this team went through again this year. It's unreal. Not one team in the NHL could have survived to the payoffs with the injuries we had.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:19 AM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypad33 View Post
The worst thing about this forum is the number of people who pretend they know anything about reconstructive surgery, and more importantly, the complications that Markov faced with his.
To my knowledge, not one surgeon who operated on Markov visits this forum, yet we have many experts comments.
It's getting a little bit sickening to see all the speculation that is going on actually.
Dr Recchi's EVERYWHERE

Old
02-04-2012, 02:00 PM
FeelsLike93

On the CBC feed Gauthier told Elliot Friedman that he expects Markov to get 20 games in this year and something along the lines of "Markovs not trying to continue his career, hes trying to restart his career". They were showing him doing balance drills where hed skate on one leg, and bend at the knee etc.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:32 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post
On the CBC feed Gauthier told Elliot Friedman that he expects Markov to get 20 games in this year and something along the lines of "Markovs not trying to continue his career, hes trying to restart his career". They were showing him doing balance drills where hed skate on one leg, and bend at the knee etc.
He said he would like to see him get 20 games in not that he would get 20 games in. Watching the clip Markov doesn't look like he is anyplace close to resuming game type of skating and activity.

Old
02-06-2012, 05:11 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury* View Post
Of course not, just making a point that these "facts" are meaningless.
I absolutely wholeheartedly agree!

Old
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

If Markov is truly finished, then the sooner he and the Habs realize it the better. The same is true if he isn't. I don't see how another 6 months of nursing the knee can make it significantly healthier than it is now. Why put it through further torture if it can't help?

Old
02-06-2012, 06:49 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Blunden placed on IR.

@renhockey:
#canadiens Mike Blunden (genou) sur la liste des blessés. Blundes (knee) on IR.

Closed Thread