HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers dominating when outshooting opponents

Old
01-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Rangers dominating when outshooting opponents

Rangers win 78.9% of the time when outshooting opponents.

The next closest is Washington with 70.6%
3rd closest is Detroit with 65.6%

Why are the Rangers significantly better then anyone in the league when outshooting their opponents?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Giacomin

When you have a strong defense and Great Goaltending which the Rangers have it seems like it would make sense that if you outshot your opponent you should win most of your games. This is just a general observation. Either way The Rangers look like they are built to go on a nice 4-7 year run

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Rangers win 78.9% of the time when outshooting opponents.

The next closest is Washington with 70.6%
3rd closest is Detroit with 65.6%

Why are the Rangers significantly better then anyone in the league when outshooting their opponents?
The first reason is that we don't do it that often, so the sample size is small.

The second may be that we are not a very shot-happy club, the team tends to cycle and build and try not to waste possession with a low percentage shot. If we are outshooting the opposition it means we are truly dominating the game.

01-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
The first reason is that we don't do it that often, so the sample size is small.
Just made my day

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Well Fitzy's right, the first thing I thought was that the sample size is probably pretty small.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:

The second may be that we are not a very shot-happy club, the team tends to cycle and build and try not to waste possession with a low percentage shot. If we are outshooting the opposition it means we are truly dominating the game.
Actually, I think your second point is much more relevant to this team. I remember in the days of Renney we averaged something like 30+ shots per game, and often flirted with 40. And yet our GPG was abysmal because the vast majority of those shots were low % outside or bad angle shots that amounted to nothing. The "pros" were bewildered over us dominating teams in shots and having nothing to show for it. It's also why I cringe whenever Joe lauds a player for shooting the puck just for the sake of shooting, or the Garden faithful yelling "Shoot the puck!" on top of their lungs.

In this league you're not going to score goals with just "shots on goal." You need to break down the D, catch the goalie moving or screen him, etc. Otherwise you're just padding his stats and making him look like Roy, which is another thing Renney's teams were amazing at.

That said, I think that our cycling style certainly could use a bit more creativity. Many of our goals tend to be due to bounces we get from simply being in the offensive zone for so long (think Gabby's first goal yesterday), rather than the result of a good, smart play. I can understand the Boyle line cycling till the cows come home, but guys like Richards, Gabby and Stepan ought to have the freedom to get a bit more creative.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Keep throwing it at net, boys

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:32 PM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:

There are 13 teams with a worse shot differential than us. It doesn't happen as infrequently as you think. The reason is because our defense and goaltending are tremendous.

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

The thing I'm even more excited about is being 21-2 after scoring first.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:15 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Just made my day
Haha, so true though.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Evolved83

I think its because teams are expecting a grinding type of game rather than playing a skilled, tic-tac-toe game, and when we do get a number of shots on goal, we kinda surprise them. That is my theory anyway lol

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote