HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread Part XIV (Evaluation: We need NHL players)

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2012, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading here. Carter? WTF? Ellis? WTF? Am I in a twilight zone episode where I am still handsome stud me, but everyone else has a pig nose, and yet they think I am hideous?
These are the guys that are being discussed in the media, hence why it's brought up here.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:24 AM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Trade proposals (along with my assumption of trade value using 2011 draft picks)

-Gagner (value: 1st rd pick between 20-30 – I think any team would give up 2nd for Gagner so I peg him 20-30)
-Whitney (value: 20-60) or 2nd round pick (likely between 31-35)
For
-Hamonic (value: 1st rd pick 6-15) or L. Schenn (value: 1st rd pick 11-20)
-----------------------------------------------------------

-Paajarvi (value: 1st rd pick 15-30)
-Pitlick (value: 26-50)
For
-Subban (value: 5-15)
-----------------------------------------------------------

-Hemsky (value: 15-30)
For
-B. Smith (value: hard to guage but 15-35) or S. Despres (value: 15-45)
------------------------------------------------------------

-Belanger (value: not much except to playoff teams looking for faceoff and PK ability)
-Sutton (value: has value as rental and insurance for playoff teams)
For
B. Holtby (value: 2nd rd pick)

We acquire: Subban, Hamonic/Schenn, B. Smith on defense and Holtby in goal. Khabibulin I would try to move to Leafs as insurance for their playoff drive. Or see if Tampa or Philly are interested in him. I wouldn’t expect back much (late round pick). NYI probably don't want to part with Hamonic. But I was thinking that they will likely be drafting around 5th overall and would be getting one of Murray/Dumba/Trouba easing the loss of Hamonic (MacDonald-Streit + Whitney-Murray/Dumba/Trouba + DeHaan-Jurcina/Donovan)

Old
01-26-2012, 10:25 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4144
Quote:
Originally Posted by voucher101 View Post
****** Ellis, smarten up people, he might turn out to be a nice player but need more hobbits we do not. P.K. Subban. 1st rounder straight up for P.K. Subban. Thats P... K... Subban. #P.K. Subban
Not a chance. I'm not totally against bring in PK but definitely not at the expense of our 1st.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeep View Post
Just thinking of Dregers rumor of the Oilers wanting a young D, this would say that Dreger doesn't have clue what's he's talking about. The Oilers need another young D like they need another hole in their head. He's playing to the Leafs fans hoping the Oilers would be suckers and take the Leafs scrap. The Oilers need a veteran D if anything, someone to tie them over until their prospects develop.
Don't agree at all. The Oilers need better D, I don't see why you are so hung up on age. Gilbert as our #1 or #2 defecemen for so long is a complete joke. Whitney's injuries are a huge x factor. Potter has overachieved certainly, but nobody is going to mistake him for the next Lidstrom or Potter. Sutton is servicable and Barker I just haven't seen play enough.

Our defencemen are a joke, and it has nothing to do with their age and everything to do with how they are playing. There are young, composed defencemen in this league.

The Oilers #1 need is a #1 or 2 defencemen. I don't care how hard they are to get, this has been our #1 need for a very long time and mangement has outright failed in not addressing it. To get one through draft is certainly possible, but I can't fault management for drafting Hall or RNH, those were not mistakes.

That does not mean that we could not have converted assets into a #1 or #2 defencemen.

Hemsky, Gagner, Khabibulin, are some trade bait ideas that come to mind. That list is not very inspiring though and it may be unrealistic to expect an elite defencemen in return.

Maybe it is time to think of trading Hall or our 1st this year. I'm shocked at how many people think doing something that this is blasphemy or impossible. Get over it, our team right now is awful and you are delusional if you think being awful right now and loading up on high draft picks is a sure key to success, it isn't. I don't think that the Oilers are losing because our forwards are terrible, it has much more to do with our defencemen, and team defence as well. We all saw how much better the Oilers were with Chris Pronger.

I would absolutely consider trading Hall or a 1st for a Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, Keith Yandle, Duncan Keith type of player. You might have to add or subtract players and picks to even the scales, but this would be the main idea. What is the alternative? We keep on sucking and keep on drafting forwards. We could draft a defencemen, but there are very few that are ready for the NHL right out of junior, they typically take longer to develop than forwards. I'm not against drafting them, but I don't know if I see a Klefbom, Marincin or Musil becoming a 1-2 defencemen in the NHL any time soon, or at all.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:46 AM
ponokanocker

I`m totally against bringing in players with personality issues(Carter, Subban). These players can really kill a team. Maybe there have been some that have won Cups(Pronger, Hull), but they disrupt teams chemistry, rarely stick with their clubs, cause players to want to leave the team, and are good coach killers. I know the rumors are there, and they are attainable as their current clubs have simply had enough of them, but they aren`t going to come here and become different people. They are who they are.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I want no part of Carter.
Agreed. Hell, I'd be leery about giving a 10 year contract out to anyone.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:51 AM
voucher101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I`m totally against bringing in players with personality issues(Carter, Subban). These players can really kill a team. Maybe there have been some that have won Cups(Pronger, Hull), but they disrupt teams chemistry, rarely stick with their clubs, cause players to want to leave the team, and are good coach killers. I know the rumors are there, and they are attainable as their current clubs have simply had enough of them, but they aren`t going to come here and become different people. They are who they are.
I wouldn't say Subban suffers from any personality issue, if anything it's the opposite. He has overwhelming personality and plays with an edge which is exactly what we need. Bring some ******* life into the dressing room and especially with our on ice play. We have always missed a player that can stir the pot once in a while.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:58 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I wouldn't say Subban suffers from any personality issue, if anything it's the opposite. He has overwhelming personality and plays with an edge which is exactly what we need. Bring some ******* life into the dressing room and especially with our on ice play. We have always missed a player that can stir the pot once in a while.
We need a guy to stir it up on the ice not the dressing room.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:08 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We need a guy to stir it up on the ice not the dressing room.
Exactly. It`s guys like Subban that polarize dressing rooms.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:17 AM
voucher101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Exactly. It`s guys like Subban that polarize dressing rooms.
Yes, the opposing teams dressing room. It's about time the Oilers made headlines with something besides being dead last every year and being a complete joke. If we dont get the 1st or 2nd overall this year it is going to be a defenceman, and I dont feel like waiting 5 years for the guy to be ready. Marincin, Teubert, and Mucil will be good to go in 2 years so in the mean time lets get an NHL hockey player.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If Howson wants to get top dollar he might have no choice.
Exactly, that's the only scenario I would do for Carter. Otherwise, pass.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:31 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Yes, the opposing teams dressing room.
Typically when the opposition players crush your own players, it brings your team together and you become more united. It`s players like Lidstrom that really get in the heads of their opposition because there is very little you can do against them. Does anyone remember when Detroit faced Lindros in the finals and everyone was expecting the crushing Russian`s to face off against him? Instead, Detroit sticks out Lidstrom and Murphy and they sweep them.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
backhandsauce

Subban and Moen for Paajarvi and Gagner.

* I included Moen knowing he is a UFA at season's end. He's one of the players I think would fit in nicely with Edm. This gives him a chance to get his feet wet with the team before signing a new deal.

Get this done before the deadline and now you re sign Hemsky.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:45 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

We thankfully don't land Heatley and now people want Carter? Seriously?

Old
01-26-2012, 11:47 AM
joestevens29

Not sure I want to move those two for Subban and bank on Hemsky, unless the plan is for a top pick again next year.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

If we do trade Hemsky, I'd be ok going hard for Ruutu.

Physical RWer who can score goals. Love that guy.

01-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I'd definitely bring in Subban but not for a lottery pick. With all the negative media circling him I don't even see how he's worth that at this point. Somehow the media keeps on talking about this daily. Dustin Neilson casually talked about it yesterday and then started tweeting about it last night and now made it a feature on the show this morning.

This kind of stuff kind of scares me because usually when the media in Edmonton start floating out flyers to the general fan base it's like it's something management is seriously considering.

Old
01-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Yes, the opposing teams dressing room. It's about time the Oilers made headlines with something besides being dead last every year and being a complete joke. If we dont get the 1st or 2nd overall this year it is going to be a defenceman, and I dont feel like waiting 5 years for the guy to be ready. Marincin, Teubert, and Mucil will be good to go in 2 years so in the mean time lets get an NHL hockey player.
The problem with your thinking is that Subban is still developing and some say that the Habs rushed him to fast, I agree the Oilers need a D, but a veteran D to stabilize and mentor the prospects coming up. Not a **** disturber, they tried that with Souray and look were it got the Oilers, just bad press and that's the last thing the Oilers need.

Old
01-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
If we do trade Hemsky, I'd be ok going hard for Ruutu.

Physical RWer who can score goals. Love that guy.
How does Ruutu help the Oilers, he's a UFA at the end of the year and the Canes will be asking the moon for him and will not want another small C or a UFA. Love to see if the Oilers could get Joel Armia from Buffalo, but that might be a reach.

Old
01-26-2012, 12:12 PM
tsnTpoint

How hard is it for Tambo to find out from Hall and Eberle on what they think of Subban.

They all played World Juniors together.

Those comparing PK to Souray are basing this on what? You dont know why PK is in the situation he is, so stop commenting on his personality and more on his playing style.

If you dont like his playing style that is one thing, but you DO NOT KNOW that he would be a cancer in the dressing room here. You also DO NOT KNOW why there is problems in Montreal. So you DO NOT KNOW he would also have problems in Edmonton.

Its not every day you see an opening for a young defencemen with as much accomplished as PK Subban. Subban fits the age group of this rebuild. This is something you look heavily into, and if enough red flags are there, then ok walk away. But remember you will never get a defenceman like PK without an opening such as this situation.

So either look into it, or dont and just overpay free agents, trade for underachievers, wait for a draft pick that may or may not pan out?

This is a no brainer, and im sorry to say but those who have already said no to the Subban possibility are idiots.

Last edited by tsnTpoint: 01-26-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old
01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
How hard is it for Tambo to find out from Hall and Eberle what their opinion of Subban is.

Those comparing PK to Souray are basing this on what? You dont know why PK is in the situation he is, so stop commenting on his personality and more on his playing style.

If you dont like his playing style that is one thing, but you DO NOT KNOW that he would be a cancer in the dressing room here.
So your saying that Subban is a cancer in the Habs dressing room and your willing to bring that to the Oilers, is his play wroth the risk

Old
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
How hard is it for Tambo to find out from Hall and Eberle on what they think of Subban.

If you dont like his playing style that is one thing, but you DO NOT KNOW that he would be a cancer in the dressing room here. You also DO NOT KNOW why there is problems in Montreal. So you DO NOT KNOW he would also have problems in Edmonton.

Its not every day you see an opening for a young defencemen with as much accomplished as PK Subban. Subban fits the age group of this rebuild. This is something you look heavily into, and if enough red flags are there, then ok walk away. But remember you will never get a defenceman like PK without an opening such as this situation.

So either look into it, or dont and just overpay free agents, trade for underachievers, wait for a draft pick that may or may not pan out?

This is a no brainer, and im sorry to say but those who have already said no to the Subban possibility are idiots.
Maybe we don not what the exact reason is, but should we just ignore the issues like we have in the past only to have it blow up in our faces?

Old
01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Given that our 1st is untouchable, I would be fine with taking a chance on PK because sometimes big personalities can be curbed. Plus Hall has a big personality, so it isn't like the team is adverse to them. But I'd also be interested in any of Josi, Blum, Ellis, Rundblad, Gormley, Voynov, Hamilton, Brodin, Murphy or McBain. Then of course there are pipe dreams like Kulikov, or OEL. So while PK is an option, he is hardly our only one.

Carter I am far too wary of. On ice he looks like the perfect 2nd C behind RNH for us. It's his contract and off ice issues that scream stay away. Add in the required trade cost and I think we should pass on him.

Is anyone else surprised Nittymaki cleared? Looks like I was wrong there.

Old
01-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Given that our 1st is untouchable, I would be fine with taking a chance on PK because sometimes big personalities can be curbed. Plus Hall has a big personality, so it isn't like the team is adverse to them. But I'd also be interested in any of Josi, Blum, Ellis, Rundblad, Gormley, Voynov, Hamilton, Brodin, Murphy or McBain. Then of course there are pipe dreams like Kulikov, or OEL. So while PK is an option, he is hardly our only one.

Carter I am far too wary of. On ice he looks like the perfect 2nd C behind RNH for us. It's his contract and off ice issues that scream stay away. Add in the required trade cost and I think we should pass on him.

The 1st isn't untouchable, it's just a matter of it being doubtful that anyone would offer fair value for it.

I'd trade it yesterday for a signed Shea Weber. That's not going to happen, but the pick shouldn't be considered "untouchable".

Old
01-26-2012, 12:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

I'd give him a chance too, just not at the cost of our 1st. Look at CBJ with Carter, they gave up an 8th and a top prospect for a player with issues and where are they?

Closed Thread