HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Do the Rangers have a 2-year window to win the Cup?

Old
01-18-2012, 02:21 PM
JayQueensNY88*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Nobody is talking about actually buying Richards out. Read the thread. All that was mentioned (by me) was that if the cap goes down in the next CBA and there is an amnesty buyout window to accommodate teams that would be over the new cap/unable to keep their team intact going forward that Richards would, while undeserving, be one of the only people it would make sense to use it on because of the size of his cap hit. It has nothing to do with production and his slumping or performance wasn't even mentioned. LMFAO at people who think they can read one sentence in an entire thread and pop off with smart-ass comments.
already talking about buying Richards out...Man, this place is retarded.BUT I Bet you were huge on this signing from the get go..

I like Richards and want him here.

Lets go RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:26 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
already talking about buying Richards out...Man, this place is retarded.BUT I Bet you were huge on this signing from the get go..

I like Richards and want him here.

Lets go RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy hat... I am not advocating buying Richards out. Reading comprehension is what's retarded here. If you can't understand the difference between wanting to buy a player out because you don't want them on the team/think they're not performing and suggesting that, should the SALARY CAP GO DOWN and the league's SOLUTION is to allow each team a punishment-free buyout, the oldest player with the highest salary would be the one that would probably make the most sense, than I don't know what to say to you. I'm not even suggesting it would happen and there's still no indication there will even be such a thing as the amnesty buyout period, but the whole point was that there isn't really anyone else on the roster with a high enough salary that buying them out would be worthwhile that we would be willing to buyout, thus leaving Richards one of the only logical choices, SHOULD THIS SITUATION EVER ARISE.

I LIKE BRAD RICHARDS and WANT him on the Rangers. I'm 100% content with him even in the "slump" that everyone else is complaining about. There's nothing really difficult to understand about what I'm writing unless you're just not willing to read an entire paragraph before responding or you're hammered drunk at 3pm on a Wednesday.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:59 PM
NYROrtsFan

This is where the salary cap sucks... You get penalized for drafting well...

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Crease

Quote:
Holy hat... I am not advocating buying Richards out. Reading comprehension is what's retarded here. If you can't understand the difference between wanting to buy a player out because you don't want them on the team/think they're not performing and suggesting that, should the SALARY CAP GO DOWN and the league's SOLUTION is to allow each team a punishment-free buyout, the oldest player with the highest salary would be the one that would probably make the most sense, than I don't know what to say to you. I'm not even suggesting it would happen and there's still no indication there will even be such a thing as the amnesty buyout period, but the whole point was that there isn't really anyone else on the roster with a high enough salary that buying them out would be worthwhile that we would be willing to buyout, thus leaving Richards one of the only logical choices, SHOULD THIS SITUATION EVER ARISE.

I LIKE BRAD RICHARDS and WANT him on the Rangers. I'm 100% content with him even in the "slump" that everyone else is complaining about. There's nothing really difficult to understand about what I'm writing unless you're just not willing to read an entire paragraph before responding or you're hammered drunk at 3pm on a Wednesday.

Don't worry MPF, some people around here actually do understand context and diction.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:

I can't believe you want to see Brad Richards fall off a cliff.

01-18-2012, 03:57 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I can't believe you want to see Brad Richards fall off a cliff.
That almost wasn't funny.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
This is where the salary cap sucks... You get penalized for drafting well...
I see what you mean, but I disagree. If anything, drafting well is MORE important with the salary cap. Every Cup champion since the lockout has had major contributions from players on ELCs. Without cheap production, it's almost impossible to afford enough skill to win the Cup without going over the cap.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Greg in MA

I'd argue 3-5 years as the outside window that correlates with Lundqvist and his quote unquote prime, 2 optimal years with the current roster. How much the current roster changes is a big factor obviously.

Rodent has written a few good "window" articles this season.

Greg in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:03 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
The current CBA is set to expire on September 15, 2012

With the possibilities of buyout exemptions etc tough to say what the business side will look like
And if you could buy out one player this coming September who would it be?

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:07 PM
HockeyBurd*

Their window to win the Stanley Cup is the next 10 years... the Brad Richards era.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:29 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
2012 RFA
Wolski
Del Zotto
Stralman
Bickel

2012 UFA
Fedotenko
Christensen
Prust
Mitchell
Eminger
Woywitka
Biron

But 2013 is where things get kind of iffy:

2013 RFA
Anisimov
Stepan
Hagelin
McDonagh
Sauer
the only important players imo we need to retain i highlighted, things get easier if u ask me as long as once the space from the wolski,woywitka, etc come off the books and sather doesnt do what everyone here wants him to do which is sign parise to a 8 million dollar contract or trade for weber/nash etc. sather just needs to be smart and im sure he will do the exact opposite of what everyone here wants to do and go NHL 12 style and throw money at guys. Take what cap space we have coming off the books this year, use it wisely with the list of anisimov,stepan,hagelin,mcdonagh,sauer in mind at all times.

if i was sather id try to resign some guys after this season, when the money is there, but regardless we dont have to spend every dollar once it frees up we CAN end next season with 5-6 mill on the cap in preparation to retain all our RFAS

Last edited by SwedishBullet62: 01-18-2012 at 05:38 PM.
SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:24 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
id say thats not far off. they are RFAs and not eligible for arbitration as far as i understand off the cuff. only a couple of those guys seem indepensible anyway

three year window including this year id say

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:31 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

LOL at everyone flipping out on what MPF said about Richards.

The more logical thing would have been to say... to just save the amnesty, if there is one, for Richards DOWN THE LINE, just in case he does start to decline on the backend of his contract. Amnesty isn't the same as a buyout. You amnesty a player and it rids their cap hit. Team still has to pay the player though, it just doesn't count towards the cap and the player goes through waivers.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:39 PM
wr50l

We have the absolute irreplaceables signed up for a while and if any holes appear over the next few years they can be patched up. For as long as you have your three or four star players signed you can have an indefinite window providing you draft well.

Structurally sound organisations don't have 'windows'; only shallow organisations and old players do.

wr50l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post

The more logical thing would have been to say... to just save the amnesty, if there is one, for Richards DOWN THE LINE, just in case he does start to decline on the backend of his contract. Amnesty isn't the same as a buyout. You amnesty a player and it rids their cap hit. Team still has to pay the player though, it just doesn't count towards the cap and the player goes through waivers.
If we can keep the amnesty clause for a long time then I would agree to use it on Richards if he starts to decline heavily in a few years.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:58 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post

the cap hit won't be as big of a deal in six years when the cap is $90MM

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:09 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

at people putting richards,buyout and amnesty clause in the same sentence already.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:36 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

They're definitely on pace, but for the love of God they must get their PP together. Championship teams don't **** around with the puck on man advantages.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:42 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
at people putting richards,buyout and amnesty clause in the same sentence already.
Yeah, cause it's so crazy to think about Richards being amnestied when he's in the 6th year of his contract or so and on the decline most likely.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:54 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in MA View Post
I'd argue 3-5 years as the outside window that correlates with Lundqvist and his quote unquote prime, 2 optimal years with the current roster. How much the current roster changes is a big factor obviously.

Rodent has written a few good "window" articles this season.
this X1000....the only 'window' is linked to how long hank is at the top of his game. as long as he is an elite goalie we can be a contender

and the whole concept to me is just silly. its not like the next years RFA class are 5 elite players that will get monster raises. stepan & mcdonagh are keys and will be signed. hagelin won't make big $$. in a worst case scenario we might be forced to move anisimov cause he'll make too much for what he brings, but i don't see that as a big deal since most of us would trade him tomorrow for a good return. and if erixon and mcilrath develop then losing sauer wouldn't be critical either...and thats ignoring the cap space that could be cleared by getting rid of less important players and having cheaper guys in the bottom 6.

and imo its an insult to the depth we have developed to think that our 'window' closes cause we might lose anisimov and sauer, 2 guys that many don't even consider core guys. the team even under the doom and gloom worst case scenario would still have hank, staal, girardi, dubinsky, callahan, richards, gaborik, etc

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I love Gaborik, but if he is in his final contract year and we dont have the cap space, we should trade him for a good rookie.

It saves us cap space and we get a nice young player for the future.

That said, I am very confident that we will be able to re-sign all our guys without dealing away Gaborik.

In fact, depending on what happens to the revenue sharing percentage, revenue increases and salary rollbacks, we csn probably afford Parise if he is willing to sign with us.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote