HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McLellan on FAN590 at 9:20 this morning

Old
01-18-2012, 11:04 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
McLellan on FAN590 at 9:20 this morning

SanJoseSharksPR 8:37am via Twitter for iPhone @SanJoseSharks Head Coach Todd McLellan will be on @FAN590 today at 9:20 am PST. Listen live: fan590.com

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:28 AM
hockeyball

Crappy recap:

- Sent Heatley out because they didn't feel 'they had the right mix' to go all the way, wanted to improve no the blue-line (implies they needed his cap space)

- Happy with 5 on 5 play, special teams are not getting it done

- Jumbo is struggling to produce partially because of special teams issues. He should be better though McLellan says.

- Looking at tactical changes for PP, but mostly get back to bread and butter on PP (simple motion, no standing around). PP is run through Jumbo and he needs to be more predictable.

- Thought Wingels did a 'pretty admirable job' on the top line

- Says Drew gives him a lot of 'tips' on coaching lol

- Thinks Vancouver is the biggest threat, followed by Detroit, Chicago (in west).

- Thinks the 'difference' between good and bad teams is 'talent, and commitment'

Thats it.

Last edited by hockeyball: 01-18-2012 at 11:34 AM.
hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

- Looking at tactical changes for PP, but mostly get back to bread and butter on PP (simple motion, no standing around). PP is run through Jumbo and he needs to be more predictable.
Wait what? Wouldn't that make it easier to defend him on the PP?

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:49 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I meant less, he is too predictable McLellan said.

Old
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
I think he's getting so fancy he's confusing his own teammates.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KirbyDots

Quote:
Either coach misspoke or he really said dependable or consistent or there was a less in there. Cuz right now Jumbo does look pretty predictable which is the problem.

KirbyDots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Mafoofoo

Quote:
I meant less, he is too predictable McLellan said.
Ahaha ok that makes more sense. I kinda wish he'd go back to the type of mindset he had before Lindros rearranged his face. That kid who was balls to the wall all the time yelling "IMMA RUN YOU OVER AND SCORE SOME GOALS BRO DEAL WITH IT" could come in handy right now.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Ahaha ok that makes more sense. I kinda wish he'd go back to the type of mindset he had before Lindros rearranged his face. That kid who was balls to the wall all the time yelling "IMMA RUN YOU OVER AND SCORE SOME GOALS BRO DEAL WITH IT" could come in handy right now.
What, is he taking speech lessons from Couture now?

Old
01-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Mafoofoo

Quote:
What, is he taking speech lessons from Couture now?
If he was it'd be the same as above except youd insert some nonsensical tough guy gangsta phrases at the start and end.

ex:

"FACE THE FACTS I FLY ON PLANETS EVERYDAY IMMA RUN YOU OVER AND SCORE SOME GOALS BRUDDA DEAL WITH IT #SWAGLIKEATYRANASAUR"

Yes. He'd somehow hashtag spoken words.

But to stay on topic the pre-Lindros Bruins Thornton who'd score 30+ goals, hit, and play like a mean mudda would come in handy right now. Especially with Clowe out and the fact that our top 6 (outside of Clowe) is soft like melted butter.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:14 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
If he was it'd be the same as above except youd insert some nonsensical tough guy gangsta phrases at the start and end.

ex:

"FACE THE FACTS I FLY ON PLANETS EVERYDAY IMMA RUN YOU OVER AND SCORE SOME GOALS BRUDDA DEAL WITH IT #SWAGLIKEATYRANASAUR"

But to stay on topic the pre-Lindros Bruins Thornton who'd score 30+ goals, hit, and play like a mean mudda would come in handy right now. Especially with Clowe out and the fact that our top 6 (outside of Clowe) is soft like melted butter.
Ya, especially Havlat, I haven't seen him take a hit in weeks!

Old
01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

He also talked about splitting up Boyle and Burns on the PP as one of the problems may be there is only one puck to go around and then they each have a unit to run.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
If he did take a hit he'd explode and shatter into a million little Havlats with contracts that are still better than Heatley's.

KirbyDots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:15 PM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
Crappy recap:

- Sent Heatley out because they didn't feel 'they had the right mix' to go all the way, wanted to improve no the blue-line (implies they needed his cap space)

- Happy with 5 on 5 play, special teams are not getting it done

- Jumbo is struggling to produce partially because of special teams issues. He should be better though McLellan says.

- Thought Wingels did a 'pretty admirable job' on the top line

- Says Drew gives him a lot of 'tips' on coaching lol

- Thinks Vancouver is the biggest threat, followed by Detroit, Chicago (in west).

- Thinks the 'difference' between good and bad teams is 'talent, and commitment'

Thats it.
I get the feeling TM just stands there nods his head while Drew talks, going, "Uh-huh, yeah, okay, oh absolutely, yup, uh-huh, yeah, okay, right, justshutthef---up, I see, yeah, right, uh-huh, okay..."

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Mafoofoo

Quote:
Havlat's so useless. No hits, goals, shots, assists, takeaways or anything in weeks! Even Mitchell has been more useful than he has!

Old
01-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:

ex:

Problem with that thornton is the same problem bruin fans had with that thornton. Yes he might of scored more, but that came with a price of him being penalized a little to much. Meaning he spent more time in the box then he normally spent on the ice.

I have said this thorntons entire career he is damned if he does, and he's damned if he doesn't. Meaning if he plays like a power forward, fans and media want him to take less penalties (which by the way come with being a power forward). But if he plays like a finnese player and doesn't use his size he gets called out of why he doesn't use his size more often.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
He also talked about splitting up Boyle and Burns on the PP as one of the problems may be there is only one puck to go around and then they each have a unit to run.
The problem with Boyle and Burns on the same unit is that Burns never touches the puck. The problem with Boyle and Burns on separate units is that Boyle never gets off the ice.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:25 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Problem with that thornton is the same problem bruin fans had with that thornton. Yes he might of scored more, but that came with a price of him being penalized a little to much. Meaning he spent more time in the box then he normally spent on the ice.

I have said this thorntons entire career he is damned if he does, and he's damned if he doesn't. Meaning if he plays like a power forward, fans and media want him to take less penalties (which by the way come with being a power forward). But if he plays like a finnese player and doesn't use his size he gets called out of why he doesn't use his size more often.
And we have seen samples of the pre-Lindros JT with the Sharks. Every time when he was generally acknowledged to play that way, the Sharks lost. Go with the pragmatic approach to what wins. Forego the testosterone-fueled fantasies about what someone thinks should be and what actually works in terms of winning. IMO, we see that kind of JT when other shortcomings in his game and that of team are being exposed and it is frustration. Personally, I would go with an intensity that is relentless rather than confrontational. Not so much testosterone, but a whole lot more intense.

I want wins, not testosterone fixes.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
And we have seen samples of the pre-Lindros JT with the Sharks. Every time when he was generally acknowledged to play that way, the Sharks lost. Go with the pragmatic approach to what wins. Forego the testosterone-fueled fantasies about what someone thinks should be and what actually works in terms of winning. IMO, we see that kind of JT when other shortcomings in his game and that of team are being exposed and it is frustration. Personally, I would go with an intensity that is relentless rather than confrontational. Not so much testosterone, but a whole lot more intense.

I want wins, not testosterone fixes.
That's the thing that is funny about fans and media, is that the thornton they want is the testosterone thornton. The one that would take a guys head off at no costs, and one that would fight at whim. Its a thornton that scores a bit more but also spends 10 times more in the penalty box. It isn't a coincidence that thornton is one of the last 100 point, 100 pim player in the league (just so happens to be his only 30+ goal season)

Old
01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Part of the problem is that Thornton gets the least amount of respect from the refs of any Star player in the league IMO. Other players are allowed to hold him and slash him along the boards like nobody's business and when he retaliates he's called immediately. That's why it doesn't pay for Joe to go into beast mode.

I think the Sharks have gotten a pretty fair deal from the ref's the last few years, but Thornton has never gotten the calls I see other Star players in the league get.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Part of the problem is that Thornton gets the least amount of respect from the refs of any Star player in the league IMO. Other players are allowed to hold him and slash him along the boards like nobody's business and when he retaliates he's called immediately. That's why it doesn't pay for Joe to go into beast mode.

I think the Sharks have gotten a pretty fair deal from the ref's the last few years, but Thornton has never gotten the calls I see other Star players in the league get.
Every one remembers lemieuxs threat to retire because of the clutch and grab, but thornton once said the same thing (obviously when he said it, every one just laughed and told him to suck it up)

Old
01-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:

That dive of his probably did not do anything to improve that.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:07 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
You have to play like a star player to get calls like star players.

Old
01-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
That dive of his probably did not do anything to improve that.
Probably. Can you think of any other Star players who dive now and then

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
You have to play like a star player to get calls like star players.

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:20 AM
SJeasy

Quote:

It happens to Getzlaf and Crosby as well. It is how they approach the refs. All of them are guilty of embellishing and pressing their own cases too hard. In a perfect world, refs would ignore it. In reality, the refs are human as well. If they want the calls they need to back off even if the refs are in error if they want more respect themselves.

I want what wins, not what impresses some fans.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:23 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote: