HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2012 - Draft Thread I

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2012, 07:20 PM
  #26
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,346
vCash: 800
I pmed Madarcand

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 07:56 PM
  #27
Modo
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,259
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky"
-Michael Scott
Was just waiting to see that "quote" on this board.

I probably would've taken Wayne first overall....although another name likely would've battled him for that honour.

__________________
RIP octopi
Modo is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 08:05 PM
  #28
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
With the second overall pick in the draft, Inglewood selects a true legend of the game.

Ruiner of SNL skits, rocker of feathered mullets, nailer of mediocre actresses.

A man who somehow retains a sterling reputation despite being affiliated with such debacles as the 2006 gambling scandal, the 2010 Olympic opening ceremonies, and the Phoenix Coyotes. He once fought his way out of the belly of a shark WITH HIS BARE HANDS (and the help of Bo Jackson). It's said he can shoot down airplanes by pointing his finger and saying "bang" <citation needed>.

Also holds virtually every offensive record in NHL history.

He is often referred to as the Wayne Gretzky of his era:


Wayne Gretzky



All aboard the Wayne Train.




"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky"
-Michael Scott

Epic writing. 95% of absurd comment and reference on Gretzky, and only a small note on the fact he's by a fair amount the greatest offensive weapon of All-Time. Way to sell your player . Only Arrbez!

---

What I was saying earlier: do you take 9 seasons of Bobby Orr, 21 seasons of Wayne Gretzky or 30 seasons of Gordie Howe? Is Bobby Orr THAT much better to both of them? My opinion is that Orr is taken first because of the position he plays, or else he would be taken 3rd almost all the time (ad for the record I would probably take Orr #1 too!)

EagleBelfour is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 08:19 PM
  #29
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
With the second overall pick in the draft, Inglewood selects a true legend of the game.

Ruiner of SNL skits, rocker of feathered mullets, nailer of mediocre actresses.

A man who somehow retains a sterling reputation despite being affiliated with such debacles as the 2006 gambling scandal, the 2010 Olympic opening ceremonies, and the Phoenix Coyotes. He once fought his way out of the belly of a shark WITH HIS BARE HANDS (and the help of Bo Jackson). It's said he can shoot down airplanes by pointing his finger and saying "bang" <citation needed>.

Also holds virtually every offensive record in NHL history.

He is often referred to as the Wayne Gretzky of his era:


Wayne Gretzky



All aboard the Wayne Train.




"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky"
-Michael Scott


Damn, there goes my chance at grabbing Wayne.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:35 PM
  #30
hfboardsuser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12,280
vCash: 500
Anybody interested in acquiring another first rounder? Looking to move out of the top 32 entirely (#23).

hfboardsuser is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:41 PM
  #31
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,346
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Anybody interested in acquiring another first rounder? Looking to move out of the top 32 entirely (#23).
trying the opposite strategy than last year?

I won't try to play the ''more superstars , less depth'' this time around myself.Didn't worked out that good for me.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:42 PM
  #32
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
trying the opposite strategy than last year?

I won't try to play the ''more superstars , less depth'' this time around myself.Didn't worked out that good for me.
The reason more superstars, less depth usually doesn't work is because GMs are willing to give up too much to trade up.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:47 PM
  #33
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
What I was saying earlier: do you take 9 seasons of Bobby Orr, 21 seasons of Wayne Gretzky or 30 seasons of Gordie Howe? Is Bobby Orr THAT much better to both of them? My opinion is that Orr is taken first because of the position he plays, or else he would be taken 3rd almost all the time (ad for the record I would probably take Orr #1 too!)
You hit it right on the head in my opinion.

Someone needs to build a team that exploits the draft seemingly overvaluing defensemen relative to other positions.

The difficulty is that the people who are biased are also the ones voting so... tough job.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:49 PM
  #34
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,346
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
The reason more superstars, less depth usually doesn't work is because GMs are willing to give up too much to trade up.
I don't think I gave up too much to acquire my all-star defenseman last year , I just drafted badly afterward.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:50 PM
  #35
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
You hit it right on the head in my opinion.

Someone needs to build a team that exploits the draft seemingly overvaluing defensemen relative to other positions.

The difficulty is that the people who are biased are also the ones voting so... tough job.
Yeah I kinda was planning on going for that and drafting DMen with 3 of our first 5 picks, then planning on trading one of them for some offense, I just didn't get enough for XXX upon dealing him. I also like a strong defense so just ending up with three of them just didn't work out well. Oh well, a year smarter, a year stronger hopefully.


Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 01-18-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: undrafted
vecens24 is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:50 PM
  #36
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,208
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I think it comes down to the fact that he led the league in assists 4 times, and points twice. No defenseman has done either of those ever, even once.

BillyShoe1721 is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
  #37
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,346
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
. Oh well, a year smarter, a year stronger hopefully.
until our next brain cramp

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:55 PM
  #38
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
You hit it right on the head in my opinion.

Someone needs to build a team that exploits the draft seemingly overvaluing defensemen relative to other positions.

The difficulty is that the people who are biased are also the ones voting so... tough job.
Yet another reason everyone should have voted for my team last year. My first two picks were forwards. Break the evil runs on defensemen.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:56 PM
  #39
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I think it comes down to the fact that he led the league in assists 4 times, and points twice. No defenseman has done either of those ever, even once.
No forward has come close to what Gretzky did, either, though (obviously talking about offense only. In terms of overall value, Gordie is a lot closer to Wayne that any other dman is to Bobby).

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:57 PM
  #40
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,346
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yet another reason everyone should have voted for my team last year. My first two picks were forwards. Break the evil runs on defensemen.
Your first round pick was an easy choice imo , it was the end of a tier in my mind.I picked my all-star defenseman just after.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 09:58 PM
  #41
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,346
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
No forward has come close to what Gretzky did, either, though.
Some forward came way closer to gretzky than any defenseman came close to orr though.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 10:00 PM
  #42
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yet another reason everyone should have voted for my team last year. My first two picks were forwards. Break the evil runs on defensemen.
As I recall, you did pretty well.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 10:12 PM
  #43
Rob Scuderi
Moderator
 
Rob Scuderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,057
vCash: 500
It's all just minor marginal benefits for the top couple slots. I think it's hard to go wrong, and I'd have gone with Howe if not Orr. I just don't think anyone dominated their position relative to their peers the way Orr does hence me selecting him. There's obviously something to be said about Howe and Gretzky's longevity and Orr is clearly lacking there. But he got hurt the way you'd want if that makes any sense with him incurring knee injuries through that all out style.

Rob Scuderi is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 10:17 PM
  #44
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I think it comes down to the fact that he led the league in assists 4 times, and points twice. No defenseman has done either of those ever, even once.
In this type of format it makes sense to take Orr over Gretzky. In terms of just a regular all-time list I don't think it's an arguement...it's Gretzky.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 10:23 PM
  #45
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
In this type of format it makes sense to take Orr over Gretzky. In terms of just a regular all-time list I don't think it's an arguement...it's Gretzky.
A lot of people will argue that it isn't Gretzky. But I do happen to agree with you.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 10:24 PM
  #46
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,798
vCash: 500
orr led the league in assists 5 times '70, '71, '72, '74, '75.

and led in assists per game by a good margin in '73, as well as those other 5 seasons.

nik jr is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 10:40 PM
  #47
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,547
vCash: 500
You know it's going to be a good draft, when we are debating the first overall pick XD

chaosrevolver is online now  
Old
01-18-2012, 10:47 PM
  #48
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
A lot of people will argue that it isn't Gretzky. But I do happen to agree with you.
I disagree that it's Gretzky, but I agree that it's not Orr

Dreakmur is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 11:48 PM
  #49
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,476
vCash: 500
What time is it in Slovakia? More importantly, what time does work start there? I think we can expect a pick from MadArcand somewhere between 2 and 15 minutes after work starts over there...

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 12:04 AM
  #50
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
What time is it in Slovakia? More importantly, what time does work start there? I think we can expect a pick from MadArcand somewhere between 2 and 15 minutes after work starts over there...
They are 6 hours head of us, right? That would make it 7am.

Dreakmur is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.