HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

CFL 2011 Montreal Alouettes Season Thread

Old
05-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

vCash: 500
CFL 2011 Montreal Alouettes Season Thread

Not sure if mods want to start a 2011 Als thread or just stick with that title but whatever you choose is fine with me.

CFL draft will take place Sunday at 12:30 on TSN where they show the first 2 rounds. The rest will be on CFL.ca.

So as sure that we know that our first pick for the Habs will surely be an American, which offensive lineman do you think the Als will pick? Would Gregory Alexandre be a reach at #8? Obviously I can't say I follow college football as much as I do hockey (understatement of the year), but Alexandre was great everytime I saw him. Yet again, while I was semi-joking, in the list of top 15, if there's one year where you think they'll go for a OL, it's this year. Maybe Blake will fall down and Als will pick him since it's more for the future than anything else. Or do you see somebody else you wish we'd pick and be dissapointed if we don't? Would choosing a kicker in O'Neill be dumb?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:11 AM
zaluty

From Queens 6'10 Matt O'Donnell has been dropping

zaluty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I'll probably tune in and see what happens. I thought the Als had a solid draft last year, should be good to improve.

As for the kicker situation, did the Als ever fill Duval's shoes this offseason? Do we still have David?

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

Hope the Als pick up Christopher Milo (I know the guy, hope it goes well for him). Could do a great job replacing Duval I think.

Mount Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I'm friend with Renaldo Sagesse (Michigan Wolverines alumni) and I hope he can get drafted and if it happen to be in Montreal it would be awesome !

http://fantasy.cfl.ca/video/index/id...autostart=true

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I'm friend with Renaldo Sagesse (Michigan Wolverines alumni) and I hope he can get drafted and if it happen to be in Montreal it would be awesome !

Great vid! Interesting suggestion and well noted. Can't wait to see how it will turn out though if we don't pick him....expect me to find him some weaknesses....

Old
05-08-2011, 12:45 PM
katatoniak

And the first pick is ....... McKnight!

A kicker

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:43 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:

Good for him!

Avec le 25e choix, les Als ont opté pour Renaldo Sagesse (ligne défensive). Un produit du Cégep du Vieux-Montréal qui évoluait avec les Wolverines du Michigan.

http://www.rds.ca/alouettes/chroniques/319393.html

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Cool to see a Concordia Stinger go to the Als also - 2nd time in 2 years, I believe.

Old
05-08-2011, 01:48 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:

"@MTLAlouettes: Avec leur choix de quatrième ronde, les #Alouettes sélectionnent | With their fourth pick, the Als select Renaldo Sagesse, DL, Michigan

Sorry if I'm late I'm on my bberry and thought of u lol

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Als also got Philip Blake, who fell all the way to 23rd

Old
05-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Old
05-08-2011, 11:13 PM
pine
irregistered user

Pretty much secures Duval's ticket out of town, and rightfully so.

Old
05-09-2011, 12:19 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Congrats to Yannick Sage for being drafted by BC, I know his brother personally. God that guy is huge

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 05:38 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
Pretty much secures Duval's ticket out of town, and rightfully so.
Sean Whyte is, not McKnight. I can't be harsh with Popp, don't know this stuff like he does and he's pretty effective at the draft table...but I was dissapointed to not go with O'Neill or even Milo. Something is sure....this will be analyse for years to come.

Old
05-09-2011, 07:11 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sean Whyte is, not McKnight. I can't be harsh with Popp, don't know this stuff like he does and he's pretty effective at the draft table...but I was dissapointed to not go with O'Neill or even Milo. Something is sure....this will be analyse for years to come.
Milo went in the 5th round, looks like Popp wasn't the only one passing on him

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Bud2790

Quote:

So happy he got drafted by the Als! It's nice to see a Kodiaks alumni going pro (College Mont-Saint-Louis). I don't know him, but it was a nice day for the program with Patrick Jean Marie also getting drafted, he's going to Hamilton.

Bud2790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Bud2790

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Exactly! There's a reason why the Als are good year after year, and that's because of Popp's excellent work at finding talent. I think McNight wasn't the top kicker on most people's list, but Popp is the best in the business at finding the diamonds in the rough.

In Popp I trust!

Old
05-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
My point was more about O'Neill though. Was impressed every single time I saw him.

Something is sure though...if Blake and Martin ends up here....Popp will be a hero.

Old
05-09-2011, 08:07 PM
pine
irregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My point was more about O'Neill though. Was impressed every single time I saw him.

Something is sure though...if Blake and Martin ends up here....Popp will be a hero.
Not sure how much more he can add to his legacy. He's been like every fan's dream as a GM. Multiple cups, always in contention, assured continuity... etc.

But it would definitely be amazing to see Blake and Martin here one day.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2790 View Post
So happy he got drafted by the Als! It's nice to see a Kodiaks alumni going pro (College Mont-Saint-Louis). I don't know him, but it was a nice day for the program with Patrick Jean Marie also getting drafted, he's going to Hamilton.
I played with both Renaldo and Patrick at MSL circa 2003. Both were dominant defensive player even tough MSL program back in the day was old school (no field to actualy play or practice) now apparently they have a state of the art synthetic field just outside the college. It's crazy how things can change fast !

The funniest thing is that renaldo started playing football in secondaire 5 as he was a basketball player and we enticed him to start football as he was already 6'4 280. He decided to switch to football and he was an instant all-star that year with around 2 sacks a game. The guys then went to Vieux-Montreal and kicked butt. Patrick is more a resilient type of story as he played football before joining the Kodiaks and had a bit harder time at vieux-montreal but found a way to play in the states for Howard university.

Really happy for both of them to at least have a try to play in the CFL.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Bud2790

Quote:
I played with both Renaldo and Patrick at MSL circa 2003. Both were dominant defensive player even tough MSL program back in the day was old school (no field to actualy play or practice) now apparently they have a state of the art synthetic field just outside the college. It's crazy how things can change fast !

The funniest thing is that renaldo started playing football in secondaire 5 as he was a basketball player and we enticed him to start football as he was already 6'4 280. He decided to switch to football and he was an instant all-star that year with around 2 sacks a game. The guys then went to Vieux-Montreal and kicked butt. Patrick is more a resilient type of story as he played football before joining the Kodiaks and had a bit harder time at vieux-montreal but found a way to play in the states for Howard university.

Really happy for both of them to at least have a try to play in the CFL.
Yeah, I only played in sec 5 which was in 05 and we had no field haha! They do indeed have a new field and scoreboard now, it looks great! It brings a little credibility to the program haha!

Old
05-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Heard Brunt on the Radio this afternoon, but only caught the tail end. They were talking about the AL's drafting a guy who's in the NFL? I didn't even know you could do that.

Also we seemed to pick up a lot of kickers? Weird, but I have trust in Popp's madness.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Heard Brunt on the Radio this afternoon, but only caught the tail end. They were talking about the AL's drafting a guy who's in the NFL? I didn't even know you could do that.

Also we seemed to pick up a lot of kickers? Weird, but I have trust in Popp's madness.
I don't know about the logistics of the situation, but Vaugh Martin, an NFL player for the Chargers, was picked by the Alouettes. As a low 5th round pick, it's a low risk/high reward affair, but I couldn't tell you why he was draft eligible because I have no idea.

As for kickers, we only have 2: Sean Whyte and Colt David - McKnight won't be in the mix until next year.

Old
05-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I don't know about the logistics of the situation, but Vaugh Martin, an NFL player for the Chargers, was picked by the Alouettes. As a low 5th round pick, it's a low risk/high reward affair, but I couldn't tell you why he was draft eligible because I have no idea.

As for kickers, we only have 2: Sean Whyte and Colt David - McKnight won't be in the mix until next year.
Yeah I don't get the Rules totally on the NFL thing, if he plays for the ALs one-day on a 5th rounder, it's genius.

On the Kickers, I think they locked Whyte up to an extended contract, so Mcknight seems irreverent. I'm sure they have vision on that.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote