HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Referees Out of Work Too

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Joe Malone

vCash: 500
NHL Referees Out of Work Too

The NHL refs are missing their salaries due to the strike. Here's a story on how some of them are coping.

http://www.tsn.ca/NHL/news_story.asp...24&hubName=nhl

Consider this passage:

"We made a decision as an association that we would not pursue on-ice work elsewhere, save except for charity,'' says Walkom, 41. "We just felt we didn't want to go in and take anything away, whether it's developmental or actual money from another official.''

So while the AHL, ECHL or maybe Europe (where some 200 NHL players have landed) could have beckoned, NHL on-ice officials decided to stay home.

"I've been asked that question by a lot of my friends, "Aren't there any other leagues you guys can ref in?" says Van Massenhoven. "But we just felt any time you go somewhere else to work that someone else must have been there before you."

"So we didn't feel our membership should be taking work away from people that needed it as much and maybe more than us.''

200 NHL players have gone to Europe. They have no qualms about the 200 hockey players over there whose jobs they have taken. Yet the mere mention of replacement players (scabs) possibly taking jobs over here in the NHL is a dastardly thought to these same players. Too bad the NHL players didn't have the same integrity as the refs.

Old
10-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Gros Bill

Interesting point and article, Joe. My take on it is that the demand for referees is not the same as that for players. Why would a league "import" NHL referees for their season ? What would their incentive be ? Keep in mind that the NHL referees would probably cost considerably more, as well. It's doubtful that the calibre of hockey played would increase by having NHL refs, and even more doubtful that fans would be encouraged to come to game because an NHL referee is in charge. Would you be drawn to a soccer game, say, because they have a referee who worked some games in a pro league in Europe?

So it's quite possible that the referee's "integrity" is more a result of very little demand for their services outside the NHL.

Still, I commend you, Joe. You managed to include "NHL", "players", "refs" and "integrity" all in one sentence, something I would have thought impossible.

Old
10-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Still, I commend you, Joe. You managed to include "NHL", "players", "refs" and "integrity" all in one sentence, something I would have thought impossible.
I was up all night working on it.

Maybe integrity was the wrong choice of word. The main point to me is that NHL players, who earn an average salary of 1.8 million dollars, have no problem displacing their fellow hockey players in Europe. There are 200 guys in those leagues now out of work. It's wrong.

Old
10-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
I was up all night working on it.

Maybe integrity was the wrong choice of word. The main point to me is that NHL players, who earn an average salary of 1.8 million dollars, have no problem displacing their fellow hockey players in Europe. There are 200 guys in those leagues now out of work. It's wrong.
I agree. Talk about a double standard : no replacement players, but we'll bump off those other guys, no problem.

Old
10-13-2004, 01:42 PM
MasterD

Quote:
I agree. Talk about a double standard : no replacement players, but we'll bump off those other guys, no problem.
Yeah, but I don't think the situation is comparable. NHL players (well, most of those that left for Europe) are better than the guys they replace. That's why they were taken.

On the other hand, those replacement players would be lower quality guys. could you imagine those LNAHQ, or whatever acronym they use, the old semi-pro league, playing 82 games at Bell Center? There wouldn't be much more fans for them than they actually have in their small arenas...

I'm not saying it's a good thing NHL players take Europeans players' jobs, far from it, I think it really sucks (it also gives a chance to NHL players to forget about their lock out, the money is coming in, so they care a lot less), but it's not comparable.

Old
10-13-2004, 01:56 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD
Yeah, but I don't think the situation is comparable. NHL players (well, most of those that left for Europe) are better than the guys they replace. That's why they were taken.

On the other hand, those replacement players would be lower quality guys. could you imagine those LNAHQ, or whatever acronym they use, the old semi-pro league, playing 82 games at Bell Center? There wouldn't be much more fans for them than they actually have in their small arenas...

I'm not saying it's a good thing NHL players take Europeans players' jobs, far from it, I think it really sucks (it also gives a chance to NHL players to forget about their lock out, the money is coming in, so they care a lot less), but it's not comparable.
Who the better player is is irrelevant, IMO. The point is NHL players would cry foul about some guys replacing them, but they have no qualms about doing it themselves.

Old
10-13-2004, 02:55 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Who the better player is is irrelevant, IMO. The point is NHL players would cry foul about some guys replacing them, but they have no qualms about doing it themselves.
IMO there is a huge difference. Imagine tomorrow NHL owners decide to hire replacment guys. Most NHL players coul come back and say "you know what, ***** the nhlpa, I wanna play for you!" and be taken on the spot for the team. On the other hand those Europeans players can't do that, 'cause they are less talented.

Anyways, that discussion is leading to nothing, I'm just saying that while I think it sucks for the guys that lost their jobs on those teams, well, the owners of those teams made the moves to make their teams better, while here it'd only be to put some kid of pressure on those money hingry players

Old
10-15-2004, 11:17 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

This is one of the bad parts of the lockout. I was so consumed with wanting to see a long lockout (2-3 years is what I'm hoping for) I forgot about those who deserved a better fate.

Another is Sherwood. CBC did a fantastic feature on the company a couple nights ago and the effects of the lockout on them. They are usually running overtime making pucks (they supply 300k to EVERY team each year), but this year they have had to lay off employees and are running one shift at the plant. It is always the little guys who suffer (no I'm not talking about you when i say little guys Jeff O'Neill.. you neither Bryan McCabe)

Old
10-16-2004, 09:29 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
This is one of the bad parts of the lockout. I was so consumed with wanting to see a long lockout (2-3 years is what I'm hoping for) I forgot about those who deserved a better fate.

Another is Sherwood. CBC did a fantastic feature on the company a couple nights ago and the effects of the lockout on them. They are usually running overtime making pucks (they supply 300k to EVERY team each year), but this year they have had to lay off employees and are running one shift at the plant. It is always the little guys who suffer (no I'm not talking about you when i say little guys Jeff O'Neill.. you neither Bryan McCabe)
There is a real trickle down effect going on here and it's a shame... The PA and Knob Goodenow are only out for #1 and it is very unfortunate for the refs,ushers,concession people etc. The GREED of the whole thing on the PA's part is disgusting when it effects others who make a living off of the GAME also.

Old
10-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3

Thats so true, but the sad part is...this is a occuring problem in society that will never be fixed due to monetray policies in economics; that say we have to have unemployment to keep inflation down.........life stinks.

Gota feel for these other guys though. The hockey players?? Hell, with their popularity they could get a job anywhere, anytime. The have no problems what so ever imo. It the supporting casts that are in some minor troubles, but they are minor after all. Normal people go through these kinda thing in life all the time. If your stong youl survive, if you sit on a couch and cry about it, you will loose........

Ok so im mumbling...........

Closed Thread