HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Selling, Retooling, Rebuilding Only Thread

Old
02-01-2012, 01:29 PM
NovaScotia Habsfan31

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
last thing we need to be doing is trading draft picks for rentals... that worries me.
Even later round draft picks should not be moved right now- the Habs need as many draft picks as they can get their hands on for Timmins and the scouting staff to work with.

NovaScotia Habsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden72 View Post
I personally have been saying the Habs should be sellers for over a month now! Interesting debate, IF you believe this is the case, Should the Canadiens Sell Erik Cole, or put him on the VERY SHORT LIST of untouchables?
Cole has some form of NTC iirc, not sure of specifics.

But if you start thinking of trading a UFA signed half a season ago and who is playing up to expectations, then you're moving from a 'lets have a bit of a retool' to an Edmonton-style 'lets finish bottom every year until God knows when'.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Cole has some form of NTC iirc, not sure of specifics.

But if you start thinking of trading a UFA signed half a season ago and who is playing up to expectations, then you're moving from a 'lets have a bit of a retool' to an Edmonton-style 'lets finish bottom every year until God knows when'.
I don't think so.

A lot of clubs like Edmonton and Pittsburgh were starting from almost zero when they began their rebuilds. That's not the case with us. We've already got some good young players to build around. Getting a couple of top prospects to go along with what we have already could make a huge huge difference.

Besides, we have all these FAs and we're still in 2nd to last place in the East anyway...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:12 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
last thing we need to be doing is trading draft picks for rentals... that worries me.
Me too.. At this point it doesn't make sense trading picks and prospects for UFA's hoping to scrape into 8th and a 1st round exit. PG needs to accept that this season is lost and to build for next year instead.

The Habs have some good pieces but this season just started wrong and it spiraled downward from there.

Last edited by sheed36: 02-01-2012 at 02:29 PM.
sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:44 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
I see a few 4th line changes for next year with FA acquisitions, as we don't have players to fill the void up front. Pulashaj will never make it IMHO, especially as a 4th-liner and he's the closest on the farm, beyond Leblanc:

Price/Budaj

Markov/Emelin
Subban/Gorges
Kaberle/Diaz/Nash
St. Denis

Cole-Deharnais-Pacioretty
Gionta-Plekanecs-Bourque
Kostitsyn-Eller-Leblanc
_________-________-White
Blunden

BTW would love Gaustad + Konopka on the 4th

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:47 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadiaAxeMan View Post
I see a few 4th line changes for next year with FA acquisitions, as we don't have players to fill the void up front. Pulashaj will never make it IMHO, especially as a 4th-liner and he's the closest on the farm, beyond Leblanc:

Price/Budaj

Markov/Emelin
Subban/Gorges
Kaberle/Diaz/Nash
St. Denis

Cole-Deharnais-Pacioretty
Gionta-Plekanecs-Bourque
Kostitsyn-Eller-Leblanc
_________-________-White
Blunden

BTW would love Gaustad + Konopka on the 4th

White - Gaustad - Thornton would be an interesting and fun 4th line to watch..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:50 PM
CN_paladin

Yeah Gaustad is a great at FW's! He's not as tough as Lucic but still a huge upgrade for us.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Seeing at how all the weak teams won the night we lost, looking at the points overall, if the Habs would play their cards right and trade a few vets, we could easily get at least the second pick overall.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:09 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
throw a brick made of money to shawn ****ing thornton and see what sticks. decent hockey player that also happens to be a heavy weight. where do i sign up? although noke is ok, i'd be good to get a nasty center as well

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Beendair Donedat

I'd claim JF Jacques. The guy costs you nothing, adds a Québécois with size and grit and makes your fourth line that much tougher.

Pacioretty - Desharnais -Cole
Bourque- Plekanec -Kostitsyn
Moen - Eller - Blunden
Jacques - Gomez - White

Sub in Darche/Leblanc for injuries. Dress Jacques against the tougher teams.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:31 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
I'd claim JF Jacques. The guy costs you nothing, adds a Québécois with size and grit and makes your fourth line that much tougher.

Pacioretty - Desharnais -Cole
Bourque- Plekanec -Kostitsyn
Moen - Eller - Blunden
Jacques - Gomez - White

Sub in Darche/Leblanc for injuries. Dress Jacques against the tougher teams.
JFJ is an awful hockey player. and i use the word hockey player lightly

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
JFJ is an awful hockey player. and i use the word hockey player lightly
Well he isn't MacIntyre, he has 12 goals in 31 games in the AHL. For a 4th line banger that will drop the gloves we could do worse. He costs nothing.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:45 AM
WestIslander

I see us getting a lottery pick this year but I don't see us getting the top two, we might pick between third and fifth and based on that I would want either Forsberg, Murray or Galchenyuk. Forsberg is actually being comparaed to Peter Forsberg (no relation), Murray is the next Niedermayer according to some scouts and Galchenyuk is basically the Marian Hossa of the centre position (something we really need). But from all these players, I think we should try to land Murray and build around the following defense core:

Gorges - Beaulieu
Tinordi - Murray
XXXXX - Emelin

This would give us the ability to package Subban with another player and trade for a star centre with size and skill that can play on the top six with Pacioretty in the future.

Maybe Subban + Kostitsyn for Kopitar?

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:53 AM
SnapVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I see us getting a lottery pick this year but I don't see us getting the top two, we might pick between third and fifth and based on that I would want either Forsberg, Murray or Galchenyuk. Forsberg is actually being comparaed to Peter Forsberg (no relation), Murray is the next Niedermayer according to some scouts and Galchenyuk is basically the Marian Hossa of the centre position (something we really need). But from all these players, I think we should try to land Murray and build around the following defense core:

Gorges - Beaulieu
Tinordi - Murray
XXXXX - Emelin

This would give us the ability to package Subban with another player and trade for a star centre with size and skill that can play on the top six with Pacioretty in the future.

Bad idea. I don't want 30M$ on the D-core. And i'd rather keep Subban, who still have a better sophomore year than most of all stars dman in the league.

Galchenyuk & Forsberg for me. We need Centers and Wingers in our depth chart. We can pick D-man in last rounds, were we had success in the last couple of years.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:04 AM
bentheprop

Hypothetical question for the pro-tank crowd: If we trade a bunch of veteran players for picks/prospects and bring up kids to fill out the line up, what would your reaction be if the team started winning?

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
Hypothetical question for the pro-tank crowd: If we trade a bunch of veteran players for picks/prospects and bring up kids to fill out the line up, what would your reaction be if the team started winning?
That would mean the kids are playing well so it's hard to be pissed about taht.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
We should bring up superprospect like Enqvist and Nattinen. Also bring the future power forward Shultz. Then the Tank will be all right

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:13 AM
SnapVirus

The pro-tanking are not against winning. They are against finishing 9th.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Ginu

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Subban, Gorges and Emelin are a great D-core to build around. Add Diaz and a potentially healthy Markov and we're in business on defense. We can't draft another defenseman if we have a lottery pick.

At forward, we have to decide if we're going to draft a winger or a center. We need someone with size and skill, finally, a franchise player up front. If we get a lottery pick, we:

1) Pick Forsberg. How do we flip Plekanec+ for a star center? Something like this:

Pacioretty - (Getzlaf) - Desharnais
Forsberg - Eller - Cole
Bourque - x - Leblanc
Moen - White - Blunden

I don't have Desharnais down the middle because he has good chemistry with Pacioretty, we need size down the middle and he provides an extra faceoff man. Next season, I want a veteran in the 3rd line center position: a bigger Jeff Halpern, if you will, with a Cup ring. I'd rather get that veteran in than keep Kostitsyn and shift Desharnais back to center simply because experience matters. Desharnais deserves a spot on the top line and maybe he can blossom into a Martin St. Louis type on the ring wing.

Plus there's something about the work ethic of Swedes that just tells me Forsberg is the right guy.

2) Pick Grigorenko or Galchunyek. How do we flip Plekanec+ for a star winger? Something like this:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Kostitsyn - Eller - (Brown/Ryan)
Bourque - Grigorenko - Leblanc
Moen - White - Blunden

I like this option less. We're weaker down the middle in the beginning (are we better long term?) and keep Kostitsyn. I don't believe with Eller and Grigorenko we could slot Desharnais into a wing position. This lineup also looks unbalanced to me, even if we could get a player with the qualities of Dustin Brown/Bobby Ryan.

The question is, Forsberg and Getzlaf or Grigorenko and Brown/Ryan?

Last edited by Ginu: 02-02-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:22 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
The pro-tanking are not against winning. They are against finishing 9th.
They are in favor of winning... the Stanley Cup, not barely making the playoffs and get eliminated in the first round while drafting Top 6 forwards but no Stars.

Let's get the best possible draft ranking and then work to get better for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Beaulieu, Tinordi, Subban, Gorges and Emelin are a great D-core to build around. Add Diaz and a potentially healthy Markov and we're in business on defense. We can't draft another defenseman if we have a lottery pick.

At forward, we have to decide if we're going to draft a winger or a center. We need someone with size and skill, finally, a franchise player up front. If we get a lottery pick, we:

1) Pick Forsberg. How do we flip Plekanec+ for a star center? Something like this:

Pacioretty - (Getzlaf) - Desharnais
Forsberg - Eller - Cole
Bourque - x - Leblanc
Moen - White - Blunden

I don't have Desharnais down the middle because he has good chemistry with Pacioretty, we need size down the middle and he provides an extra faceoff man. Next season, I want a veteran in the 3rd line center position: a bigger Jeff Halpern, if you will, with a Cup ring. I'd rather get that veteran in than keep Kostitsyn and shift Desharnais back to center simply because experience matters. Desharnais deserves a spot on the top line and maybe he can blossom into a Martin St. Louis type on the ring wing.

Plus there's something about the work ethic of Swedes that just tells me Forsberg is the right guy.

2) Pick Grigorenko or Galchunyek. How do we flip Plekanec+ for a star winger? Something like this:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Kostitsyn - Eller - (Brown/Ryan)
Bourque - Grigorenko - Leblanc
Moen - White - Blunden

I like this option less. We're weaker down the middle in the beginning (are we better long term?) and keep Kostitsyn. I don't believe with Eller and Grigorenko we could slot Desharnais into a wing position. This lineup also looks unbalanced to me, even if we could get a player with the qualities of Dustin Brown/Bobby Ryan.

The question is, Forsberg and Getzlaf or Grigorenko and Brown/Ryan?
Getzlaf is much better than any players named... But it's gonna take a lot more than Pleks to get him if he's even available. But I would try hard to get him, he's everything we need.

Also, I would instead try to get Radulov than Brown or Ryan... the guy is electrifying. I'm 100% sure he can score 35 goals and 80pts in the NHL right away. Bring Roy in (as GM ?... I'm afraid of him as a coach...) and Radulov will come...

Last edited by MTL-rules: 02-02-2012 at 08:28 AM.
MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:23 AM
otto bond

I'm all for trading some guys and get picks or prospect.

A guy like Gomez could be very hard to move....maybe only wen the summer roles around.

Gill should be very easy to move if you settle for a 4th but if more then one team is interested, I could see a 3rd round pick or at best a 2nd.

Andrei Kostitsyn may or may not have great value but anything less then a prospect and a 2nd is a waste. I would love him signed but it's not gonna happen till the season ends so trade?

Moen could be very nice piece for certain team. Add depth to the 3rd line and the pk. Will fight, grind and play for his team. I could see a good prospect coming back for him or a 2nd.

Campoli will be a hab till the season ends...I don't see any value. AHL next year?

Weber I don't see management trading simply cause he is cheap and may hold more value come the summer time.

I would listen to offers for Plekanec but I dough anyone pony ups a great offer. I would also look at swapping him in the summer.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I'm all for trading some guys and get picks or prospect.

A guy like Gomez could be very hard to move....maybe only wen the summer roles around.

Gill should be very easy to move if you settle for a 4th but if more then one team is interested, I could see a 3rd round pick or at best a 2nd.

Andrei Kostitsyn may or may not have great value but anything less then a prospect and a 2nd is a waste. I would love him signed but it's not gonna happen till the season ends so trade?

Moen could be very nice piece for certain team. Add depth to the 3rd line and the pk. Will fight, grind and play for his team. I could see a good prospect coming back for him or a 2nd.

Campoli will be a hab till the season ends...I don't see any value. AHL next year?

Weber I don't see management trading simply cause he is cheap and may hold more value come the summer time.

I would listen to offers for Plekanec but I dough anyone pony ups a great offer. I would also look at swapping him in the summer.
I wouldn't go past the deadline with a UFA unless he is signed by then. Sign or trade.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:46 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I wouldn't go past the deadline with a UFA unless he is signed by then. Sign or trade.
I agree but how many upcoming UFA have we let walk for free. Surrey, Koivu, Komisarek.....and others.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I agree but how many upcoming UFA have we let walk for free. Surrey, Koivu, Komisarek.....and others.
Those were different circumstances, we were not in a position to trade them.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

Gorges - Beaulieu
Tinordi - Murray
XXXXX - Emelin

Nice try. We ain't trading for a star center. Nobody trades their star center.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote