HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Selling, Retooling, Rebuilding Only Thread

Old
02-16-2012, 09:27 AM
gillyguzzler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Draft Galchenyuk, put him back in the CHL to recoup after this season.
Trade Moen, Gill, Kostitsyn, and Campoli(for anything in this case)
Buy out Gomez in the offseason. Bury him if not

Our roster for 2012-2013 where the X's represent free agents, and personally I see one of Kristo or Gallagher(gallagher imo) cracking the roster this year and both by 2013-2014.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Gionta-Plekanec-Bourque
Leblanc-Eller-XXXX/Kristo/Gallagher
White-XXXX-Darche

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Markov
Diaz-XXXX/kaberle(big shot blocking dman
Weber

Price
Budaj

2013-2014 Eller and Desharnais ready to take over 1,2 duty, trade plekanec for a first rounder and a prospect Bring Galchenyuk up and let him play 3rd line along with 2nd pp time with/kristo/gallagher. or wait one more season if hes not ready

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Gionta-Eller-Bourque/Kristo/Gallagher
Leblanc-Galchenyuk-Bourque/Kristo/Gallagher
White-Bournival-XXXX

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Markov
Diaz-Tinordi/Beaulieu
Weber

Price
XXXX

The year after that Galchenyuk takes over 2nd line duties and if not eller can still hold them. With Giontas contract up don't resign as he's likely to small at this point give the C to Pacioretty/Gorges
I like Leblanc, I like Gallaguer, I like Kristo... but, as it was proved in yesterday's game, size and grit helps against teams like Boston and Philly. Your second and third lines are kinda small. It would be nice to have some size to replace the size of AK and Moen.

And if they're rebuilding with size (but still want to have players like Gallaguer, Leblanc and Kristo in the lineup, maybe they have to look at trading Gionta in the off season.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Boston had depth but no big time studs at center and they won the cup.

What I don't agree with is going to get a center at any cost. If you can draft one that maikes sense in round 1 or 2 or make a good trade then do it.

Our center position isn't among the top 10 teams, it's not in the bottom 6 either(Buffalo Calgary Columbus Florida Nashville Phoenix are doing worse). I don't think it's costing us games...but it could be better. I think we have lots of depth in the organisation on defense(except maybe a vetern stay at home on a short term contract) and on the wings, but we could use a goalie prospect and more center prospects and creative offensive players.
It has to be said. You can't compare Boston to a normal contender. They're elite and huge at every other position. Unless we expect to have elite players with size at every other position, it's unrealistic. Also, unless we expect to be gifted a Seguin, it's just unrealistic to even consider emulating Boston. At the same time, Krejci, Bergeron, Kelly and Thornton is better than what we have at center. We have to look at the rest of the league. Stanley Cup contenders generally have at least two elite centers.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Teamwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I like Leblanc, I like Gallaguer, I like Kristo... but, as it was proved in yesterday's game, size and grit helps against teams like Boston and Philly. Your second and third lines are kinda small. It would be nice to have some size to replace the size of AK and Moen.

And if they're rebuilding with size (but still want to have players like Gallaguer, Leblanc and Kristo in the lineup, maybe they have to look at trading Gionta in the off season.
To be honest, I would rather keep AK46 than Gionta. I say sign Andrei and find a way to trade Gionta in the offseason. As much as I like him, our potential NHLers lack size and keeping Gionta will make matters worse.

Teamwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
After the past few days and from the trade rumours, one can assume :

Gomez - out, no return
AK - traded before deadline for a second round pick and a mid level prospect
Moen - traded before deadline for a second round pick
Gill - ditto
Campoli - traded before deadline for a 5th round pick

It's fine to get a decent return (draft picks) for these players but they need to be replaced.

Basically, you're removing one line (Gomer, AK and Moen). The UFA market is limited and after the circus year in Montreal, it's not a prime destination for UFAs

Mathieu Darche is now playing 20 minutes a game. That can't happen all of next year.
Louis Leblanc has looked pretty good but will he hold up physically for a whole year.
Palushaj is a good AHLer.
Gallaguer? ready for prime ice on the 2nd line? probably not.
Kristo? needs AHL time.

On defense, a lot depends on Markov and what they decide with Kaberle. Is Diaz a true NHLer? Is Weber finally going to take his spot? Can the Habs win with Diaz and Weber as #5 and #6?
Agree on everything but Diaz. To me, he's had a decent season, especially for a player discovering the NA game. He's a bottom pairing D, sure, but a nice one, and with room for improvement.
Diaz, Emelin, Subban, Gorges are all players we can rely on. Can't say the same for Weber right now, but I'm not giving up on him.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Beendair Donedat

I'd take 1 Gionta over 10 Kostitsyns. Gionta is the leader and the straw that stirs the drink in Montreal. Kostitsyn is a ghost right now, it's just a matter of time for him. With Gionta, if he's allowed to play with some good sized linemates, he will be fine. He's overpaid, but he works hard, can score and is the true leader of the team. Depending on the numbers he puts up next season, you may be able to move him after.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:43 AM
WestIslander

It is time to SELL, SELL, SELL!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
TheGoalJudge

I just hope our management realizes how close we are to finishing bottom 3 and having a legit chance at a star forward prospect. I wonder if they even realize that this is the closest we've been to a star forward in like 20 years. All it takes is 24 games.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
I just hope our management realizes how close we are to finishing bottom 3 and having a legit chance at a star forward prospect. I wonder if they even realize that this is the closest we've been to a star forward in like 20 years. All it takes is 24 games.
I guess Tampa realized that, Yzerman said Kubina is no longer playing with team until traded. Precautionary reasons and I don't blame him

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:06 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwork View Post
To be honest, I would rather keep AK46 than Gionta. I say sign Andrei and find a way to trade Gionta in the offseason. As much as I like him, our potential NHLers lack size and keeping Gionta will make matters worse.
For all of us who like AK and want him to stay, I think we better wish him well wherever he ends up at the trade deadline and next year. It's almost impossible that he's still a Hab next year, imo.

With that, they need to find a big strong 20 goal scorer to replace him at a reasonable cost... preferably a UFA (so they don't have to give up assets to get him).

Old
02-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'd be immensely surprised if after all this improvisation to save his ass and the season that Gauthier starts selling even if we are 8, 9 or 10 points off. Why would he just abandoned and starts building for next year when chances are he won't be here. Unless he has been told that he was going to be.....That for me, would be the only reason why he'd sell.

While it would be a good thing for the organization to rack some picks and let Timmins magic go at work, I doubt we'd do it if we are not 12 or 14 points behind which we won't be.

Besides...who the hell are we selling anyway? Kostitsyn, a top 6 who is not even good enough to play top 12 in a struggling team? Moen who is injured? Crampoli or Craperle who are just not reliable?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'd be immensely surprised if after all this improvisation to save his ass and the season that Gauthier starts selling even if we are 8, 9 or 10 points off. Why would he just abandoned and starts building for next year when chances are he won't be here. Unless he has been told that he was going to be.....That for me, would be the only reason why he'd sell.

While it would be a good thing for the organization to rack some picks and let Timmins magic go at work, I doubt we'd do it if we are not 12 or 14 points behind which we won't be.

Besides...who the hell are we selling anyway? Kostitsyn, a top 6 who is not even good enough to play top 12 in a struggling team? Moen who is injured? Crampoli or Craperle who are just not reliable?
Gill
Moen
Campoli.

Maybeee
Nokelainen
Darche.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:33 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:

According to guys like Lebrun, Mckenzie, and so on -

Gill is in big demand and should fetch a 2nd.
Moen (healthy) is in big demand and shoulf fetch a 2nd.

Those are the two that are worth something.

I can't see Campoli or Kaberle being an upgrade on any Cup contender.

As for AK, who knows. On a good game, he's getting 12 minutes of ice on the 4th line. We all know what happened Monday.

I'd still love for him to end up in Pittsburgh or LA.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Bad news for tank:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=617259

Tampa has joined the sellers market.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
According to guys like Lebrun, Mckenzie, and so on -

Gill is in big demand and should fetch a 2nd.
Moen (healthy) is in big demand and shoulf fetch a 2nd.

Those are the two that are worth something.

I can't see Campoli or Kaberle being an upgrade on any Cup contender.

As for AK, who knows. On a good game, he's getting 12 minutes of ice on the 4th line. We all know what happened Monday.

I'd still love for him to end up in Pittsburgh or LA.

No one wants Kaberle, no one. He was available as a UFA and only Carolina wanted him and Rutherford came out saying he made a terrible decision. He still found 1 fish to trade him too. 2 more years of his garbage while the salary cap will most probably go down this summer while we could have had 4 million to acquire a much better player.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Bad news for tank:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=617259

Tampa has joined the sellers market.
we have a home game left against them and they always beat us here, so

Old
02-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Gill
Moen
Campoli.

Maybeee
Nokelainen
Darche.
Campoli? Really? Have we fired Gauthier and Gainey yet and they are working for other teams? If so, I'm expecting a 7th rounder. And I might be generous. Anything more than a 5th round, and I name Gauthier GM of the year....okay maybe of the week. Darche will not be going anywhere. He stays and is re-signed. Nokelainen, well he is injured, when is he coming back? Gill and Moen of course. Yet if I am a team who really needs a banger in Moen, don't you think some will not be hesitant to go after a guy who is hurt shoulders/head? And that came back and gone again?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
No one wants Kaberle, no one. He was available as a UFA and only Carolina wanted him and Rutherford came out saying he made a terrible decision. He still found 1 fish to trade him too. 2 more years of his garbage while the salary cap will most probably go down this summer while we could have had 4 million to acquire a much better player.
That post makes no sense at all.

1-if only Carolina wanted Kaberle he wouldn't have gotten 3 years and 4.25 mil. Players nobody wants they get 1 year deals and around 1 mil

2-He did play like crap early on and Rutherford was trying to dump him(first 27 games 0-5-5 and -14) but since then he's gotten in better shape and his play has been much better.

3-Wisniewski is a comparable player(Kaberle actually ahs much better career stats) making more money(4.25 vs 5.5) over twice the term(3 years vs 6 years), so I have no doubts that we can move him at the deadline or in the summer if we need the cap room.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
That post makes no sense at all.

1-if only Carolina wanted Kaberle he wouldn't have gotten 3 years and 4.25 mil. Players nobody wants they get 1 year deals and around 1 mil

2-He did play like crap early on and Rutherford was trying to dump him(first 27 games 0-5-5 and -14) but since then he's gotten in better shape and his play has been much better.

3-Wisniewski is a comparable player(Kaberle actually ahs much better career stats) making more money(4.25 vs 5.5) over twice the term(3 years vs 6 years), so I have no doubts that we can move him at the deadline or in the summer if we need the cap room.
He has not gotten better, points especially secondary assists don't mean the player has gotten better. The guy is horrible and soft in his own end and never takes a ****ing shot on net. Doesn't hit, skates away and avoids all contact possible what the **** did Gauthier and the Habs see in this guy I really don't understand

Old
02-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Campoli? Really? Have we fired Gauthier and Gainey yet and they are working for other teams? If so, I'm expecting a 7th rounder. And I might be generous. Anything more than a 5th round, and I name Gauthier GM of the year....okay maybe of the week. Darche will not be going anywhere. He stays and is re-signed. Nokelainen, well he is injured, when is he coming back? Gill and Moen of course. Yet if I am a team who really needs a banger in Moen, don't you think some will not be hesitant to go after a guy who is hurt shoulders/head? And that came back and gone again?
Chicago traded a 2nd rounder for him last year. Not a stretch to expect a 3rd or 4th for Campoli. Ponikarovsky was sucking ass for Carolina and New Jersey gave them a 4th for him.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He has not gotten better, points especially secondary assists don't mean the player has gotten better. The guy is horrible and soft in his own end and never takes a ****ing shot on net. Doesn't hit, skates away and avoids all contact possible what the **** did Gauthier and the Habs see in this guy I really don't understand
Not sure on what planet you are living on, but by any definition, from...

27 GP 0-5-5 and -14

to

31 GP 1-18-19 and -2

Is a HUGE improvement in play.

He is a 50 point d-man, yeah he isn't great defensively or a force in the physical game...but if he was all of taht he'd be Shea Weber or Chara and making 7-7.5 mil and not 4.25 mil.

The whole "he sucks defensively" is overblown. People take one play and project it over as what is happening every night. He isn't graet defensively, but his smarts(hockey sense and anticipation) and mobility make him at least average.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:19 PM
OneSharpMarble

I see Anaheim just passed us, one step closer.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Not sure on what planet you are living on, but by any definition, from...

27 GP 0-5-5 and -14

to

31 GP 1-18-19 and -2

Is a HUGE improvement in play.

He is a 50 point d-man, yeah he isn't great defensively or a force in the physical game...but if he was all of taht he'd be Shea Weber or Chara and making 7-7.5 mil and not 4.25 mil.

The whole "he sucks defensively" is overblown. People take one play and project it over as what is happening every night. He isn't graet defensively, but his smarts(hockey sense and anticipation) and mobility make him at least average.
The same planet that all hockey insiders said it was a terrible move by the Habs. I couldn't care less about his assists

Old
02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
The same planet that all hockey insiders said it was a terrible move by the Habs. I couldn't care less about his assists
Then you have no clue how Kaberle plays and what he has always brought to the teams he has been on.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
mrcontractor

Bulldogs just signed 2 players Peter Lenes et Joey Haddad. Move coming ?

mrcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:23 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
We'll see what he's worth at the trade deadline. Most people think he's untradeable, not even for a 7th round pick. If some GM somewhere thinks his PP assists are valuable, then he'll get us a decent return. Based on the comments on HF since we got, his value is up there because of his assists or he has negative value, completely untradeable because of his defensive play and how soft he is. We'll see what we get.

We all knew he was soft and terrible defensively. What surprises me is the bonehead plays he makes... too many soft giveaways and too many weird plays in the offensive zone on the PP. I remember him being so good on the PP for Toronto. He's lost a step and his vision, me thinks.