HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Selling, Retooling, Rebuilding Only Thread

Old
02-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
We should be in selling mode right now, I think. Needed 2 points tonight.

But I have zero confidence in PG to do things correctly.
We should've been in sell mode a long time ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Boston had depth but no big time studs at center and they won the cup.
Geez, I guess having a great center is a bad thing then. Good thing we don't have one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
It has to be said. You can't compare Boston to a normal contender. They're elite and huge at every other position. Unless we expect to have elite players with size at every other position, it's unrealistic. Also, unless we expect to be gifted a Seguin, it's just unrealistic to even consider emulating Boston. At the same time, Krejci, Bergeron, Kelly and Thornton is better than what we have at center. We have to look at the rest of the league. Stanley Cup contenders generally have at least two elite centers.
Many different ways to win a cup. Some do it with great goaltending and defense others with great offense. Bruins were a smashmouth defensive team with elite goaltending. Similar to Roy's Habs and the Devils, those clubs won without elite scorers.

Most cup winners though, had more than one elite scorers going for it (center or otherwise.) And you're right, there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be trying to get an elite center prospect. Can't believe we've talking about this for the last 15 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
No one wants Kaberle, no one. He was available as a UFA and only Carolina wanted him and Rutherford came out saying he made a terrible decision. He still found 1 fish to trade him too. 2 more years of his garbage while the salary cap will most probably go down this summer while we could have had 4 million to acquire a much better player.
I don't know why the hell we picked him up to begin with. If we were going to be this stupid we might as well have just gone with Wiz. Better defensively, younger, tougher... I hated the contract but we'd have been better off with him than Kaberle. TK made no sense at all and you're right, who in their right mind would want this guy? We're dying for PP production and even we're sitting here talking about who we could pawn him off on. We'd probably have to pay somebody to take him.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:40 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Not sure on what planet you are living on, but by any definition, from...

27 GP 0-5-5 and -14

to

31 GP 1-18-19 and -2

Is a HUGE improvement in play.

He is a 50 point d-man, yeah he isn't great defensively or a force in the physical game...but if he was all of taht he'd be Shea Weber or Chara and making 7-7.5 mil and not 4.25 mil.

The whole "he sucks defensively" is overblown. People take one play and project it over as what is happening every night. He isn't graet defensively, but his smarts(hockey sense and anticipation) and mobility make him at least average.
Do you have Cunneyworth's ear? I just heard him on the radio praising Tomas Kaberle! I couldn't believe it. At first I thought he was praising Gorges but then he talked about him being the PP general. RC must read your posts! That's it.. RC reads HF.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Habit11

If desired, PG might be able to trade Kaberle to a team that needs offence/offence from the backend. Teams like LA, Flo, StL, Wash come to mind. PG would probably have to take back a similar contract. Off the top of my head a Kaberle (4.25m) for Matt Greene (Kings 2.95m 2 more years) might be a potential trade to look at as a possibility. I don't think he is immovable, but do think PG would be limited in what he could get for him.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:04 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We should've been in sell mode a long time ago....
BUT but if we don't wait right til the deadline PG wont get full value and GM's might not know we are sellers!!!

Basically PG is screwed no matter what he does.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
BUT but if we don't wait right til the deadline PG wont get full value and GM's might not know we are sellers!!!

No, he's screwed because he keeps making stupid moves. I don't care when he makes them.

If he makes a move that makes sense then I'll be happy to praise him for it. I'm not going to sit here and pretend like he's done a great job this year though and I'm not sure why you continue to do it.

By all means Mr. Gauthier, feel free to continue trading away players midway through games if you wish but for the love of God, start making moves that make sense.

Old
02-16-2012, 03:09 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:

If Gauthier acquires Crosby for a 6th rounder in 2016 RDS and HFBoards will find a way to ***** about it.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
If Gauthier acquires Crosby for a 6th rounder in 2016 RDS and HFBoards will find a way to ***** about it.
If Gauthier acquires Crosby in 2016 it will be because the guy is long retired from the game. Wasting a 6th rounder on a retired player would actually be typical of his moves based on how he's performed as our GM this year.

Old
02-16-2012, 03:19 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
No, he's screwed because he keeps making stupid moves. I don't care when he makes them.

If he makes a move that makes sense then I'll be happy to praise him for it. I'm not going to sit here and pretend like he's done a great job this year though and I'm not sure why you continue to do it.

By all means Mr. Gauthier, feel free to continue trading away players midway through games if you wish but for the love of God, start making moves that make sense.
You are whinging about cammalleri now? You just said we should be selling so he moves a huge terrible contract for basically picks and prospects but then go on to complain about it?

I can see you aren't biased at all.

Old
02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
You are whinging about cammalleri now? You just said we should be selling so he moves a huge terrible contract for basically picks and prospects but then go on to complain about it?
Not whining about anything. It's not whining when your GM consistently makes stupid moves and you discuss it on a message board. Sorry dude, but he's sucked and we'll be a lot better off when he gets canned.
Quote:
I can see you aren't biased at all.
?

Old
02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Not whining about anything. It's not whining when your GM consistently makes stupid moves and you discuss it on a message board. Sorry dude, but he's sucked and we'll be a lot better off when he gets canned.

?
Thanks for clarifying.

PG sells big contracts for picks/prospects = Idiotic and stupid move

PG doesn't sell = Idiotic and stupid move.

Old
02-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying.

PG sells big contracts for picks/prospects = Idiotic and stupid move
Please don't try to pass off the Cammy trade as a rebuilding one. That's right up there with folks trying to convince us that Pyatt was the equalizer for McDonnaugh. The pick and prospect was window dressing on a sideways move and Cammy was a wasted asset.
Quote:
PG doesn't sell = Idiotic and stupid move.
PG decides not to rebuild at the start of the year? Okay fair enough. But if that's going to be the case then make sure you've got the pieces to get the playoffs.

Gets Cole = Great performer
Let's Wiz go = Okay, bad contract we can understand this. Who are we replacing him with though?
Let's Hammer go = Okay... who are you going to replace him with?
Get's Campioli days before season begins as he's sitting at home with no job and gives him a raise = WTF? If that's our replacement we'd better hope Markov is healthy.
Markov unsurprisingly gets hurt. No backup plan. = Idiot
Team falls way out of playoff spot, so he goes out and gets TK = Idiot x 1000
Fires Assistant Coach under strange circumstances on game day = ?????
Fires JM and replaces him with RC then throws him under the bus = WTF????????
Club continues to sink.
Panic move trade on Cammy less than 24 hours after comments in middle of game. Sideways move on our best sniper with middling prospects and a longer term contract on a problem child = WTF?????!
Hasn't signed AK who said he wants a contract. Then AK gets benched... Plus, we're not showcasing him... = ? ?? ?? ? ?? ?

Those are dumb moves man. Not rebuilding to begin with was dumb but okay... Once we dropped as far as we did the light should've come on. But what did PG do? He just continued to make short term moves in the hopes of jump starting the heartbeat on a team that was dead to begin the season. That is not what a GM should be doing dude. There is no long term vision here. This whole season has been a string of knee jerk reactive moves with no planning or forethought.

So no, sorry but I have no confidence in the man right now. I came into this year defending him and I said he deserved a chance to show what he could do, well I've seen enough. He's been poison for us and we'll be a heck of a lot better off when we dump his ass. Getting TK was about self preservation over long term team success. If that didn't illustrate to you that he only cares about 8th and his job I don't know what to tell you. We need to get rid of this guy. The sooner the better.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 02-16-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old
02-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Please don't try to pass off the Cammy trade as a rebuilding one. That's right up there with folks trying to convince us that Pyatt was the equalizer for McDonnaugh. The pick and prospect was window dressing on a sideways move and Cammy was a wasted asset.

PG decides not to rebuild at the start of the year? Okay fair enough. But if that's going to be the case then make sure you've got the pieces to get the playoffs.

Let's Wiz go = Okay, bad contract we can understand this. Who are we replacing him with though?
Get's Campioli days before season begins as he's sitting at home with no job and gives him a raise = WTF? If that's our replacement we'd better hope Markov is healthy.
Club continues to sink.
Panic move trade on Cammy less than 24 hours after comments in middle of game. Sideways move on our best sniper with middling prospects and a longer term contract on a problem child = WTF?????!
Hasn't signed AK who said he wants a contract. Then AK gets benched... Plus, we're not showcasing him... = ? ?? ?? ? ?? ?

Those are dumb moves man. Not rebuilding to begin with was dumb but okay... Once we dropped as far as we did the light should've come on. But what did PG do? He just continued to make short term moves in the hopes of jump starting the heartbeat on a team that was dead to begin the season. That is not what a GM should be doing dude. There is no long term vision here. This whole season has been a string of knee jerk reactive moves with no planning or forethought.

So no, sorry but I have no confidence in the man right now. I came into this year defending him and I said he deserved a chance to show what he could do, well I've seen enough. He's been poison for us and we'll be a heck of a lot better off when we dump his ass. Getting TK was about self preservation over long term team success. If that didn't illustrate to you that he only cares about 8th and his job I don't know what to tell you. We need to get rid of this guy. The sooner the better.
Fully agree. He can't do the simple things, like manage a call up. Yes not every move he makes is a disaster, but there is ample evidence that our management is inconsistent, reactive, and has glaring weaknesses. If they handled things smoothly, their policy of silence would be one thing, but when you do things that look stupid and let them speak for themselves....

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Club continues to sink.

Please enlighten me on how signinf Wisniewski for ridiculous money is better than getting Kaberle?

The doctors told him Markov would be fine by the start of the season, do you know better than doctors on medical issues?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
If Gauthier acquires Crosby in 2016 it will be because the guy is long retired from the game. Wasting a 6th rounder on a retired player would actually be typical of his moves based on how he's performed as our GM this year.
Retired players are not trade-able. That means Crosby would be moved on the speculation that he'd never play again. I'd gladly take the chance that a miracle cure/remedy or simply good health happens for a 6th rounder.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:28 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Please don't try to pass off the Cammy trade as a rebuilding one. That's right up there with folks trying to convince us that Pyatt was the equalizer for McDonnaugh. The pick and prospect was window dressing on a sideways move and Cammy was a wasted asset. What? Cammalleri is playing like garbage, This was akin to dumping theodore before he had zero value. "Wasted asset" LOL

PG decides not to rebuild at the start of the year? Okay fair enough. But if that's going to be the case then make sure you've got the pieces to get the playoffs. "Decides not to rebuild" That's funny seeing as how he was locked into cap hell from gainey.

Let's Wiz go = Okay, bad contract we can understand this. Who are we replacing him with though? Wiz is so awesome on Columbus right?
Let's Hammer go = Okay... who are you going to replace him with? Hamr also rocking it in Washington
Get's Campioli days before season begins as he's sitting at home with no job and gives him a raise = WTF? If that's our replacement we'd better hope Markov is healthy. We kinda did, I know he should have called the psychics hotline and you could have given him better advice right Miss Cleo?
Markov unsurprisingly gets hurt. No backup plan. = Idiot I forgot that PG is also a doctor and should have known better. I guess letting Markov leave for nothing would have been a good move in your book
Team falls way out of playoff spot, so he goes out and gets TK = Idiot x 1000Who is playing decent and far from our biggest problem
Fires Assistant Coach under strange circumstances on game day = ????? Who cares he wasn't doing his job.
Fires JM and replaces him with RC then throws him under the bus = WTF????????JM should have been fired much earlier I agree
Club continues to sink.Ya gauthier should be on the ice helping with a few goals
Panic move trade on Cammy less than 24 hours after comments in middle of game. Sideways move on our best sniper with middling prospects and a longer term contract on a problem child = WTF?????! Our "best sniper" doesn't even project to get 20 goals, try again.
Hasn't signed AK who said he wants a contract. Then AK gets benched... Plus, we're not showcasing him... = ? ?? ?? ? ?? ? I am sure whatever happens you will whine about it.

Those are dumb moves man. Not rebuilding to begin with was dumb but okay... Once we dropped as far as we did the light should've come on. But what did PG do? He just continued to make short term moves in the hopes of jump starting the heartbeat on a team that was dead to begin the season. That is not what a GM should be doing dude. There is no long term vision here. This whole season has been a string of knee jerk reactive moves with no planning or forethought. How do you rebuild when your most expensive contracts are playing like garbage and no one wants them?

So no, sorry but I have no confidence in the man right now. I came into this year defending him and I said he deserved a chance to show what he could do, well I've seen enough. He's been poison for us and we'll be a heck of a lot better off when we dump his ass. Getting TK was about self preservation over long term team success. If that didn't illustrate to you that he only cares about 8th and his job I don't know what to tell you. We need to get rid of this guy. The sooner the better.If he wanted to get into 8th he would have traded our draft picks and prospects away already. But why let reason and common sense cloud this massive bias you obviously have?
Try to be more concise, when you make a massive wall of text it is annoying. Especially when you have so little to say.

Old
02-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

Club continues to sink.

of course, said like that, it looks stupid, but all of those are not simple facts, they're just like, your opinion man

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Please enlighten me on how signinf Wisniewski for ridiculous money is better than getting Kaberle?

The doctors told him Markov would be fine by the start of the season, do you know better than doctors on medical issues?
As per my post, I didn't blame him for not signing Wiz. Not replacing him though... yeah, that was dumb.

Given a choice between signing him to that stupid contract or being stuck with Kaberle? It would be like trying to choose which sickness you want to be afflicted with but I'd take Wiz and his dumb contract. At least there's a chance he could live up to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Retired players are not trade-able. That means Crosby would be moved on the speculation that he'd never play again. I'd gladly take the chance that a miracle cure/remedy or simply good health happens for a 6th rounder.
I guess we're in luck then. And PG is a genius for making this move. Let's keep him. BTW, I don't think Crosby is coming back after that horrible train accident but uh, that's another story...
Quote:
Try to be more concise, when you make a massive wall of text it is annoying. Especially when you have so little to say.
Dude... it's in point form.

Those are the moves he's made and when you look at it on the whole and take into context that we're well out of playoff spot while we made these moves they make ZERO sense long term. And please don't come back with crap like "Gosh golly I guess PG must be a doctor" or something silly like that. You didn't have to be Dr. Recchi to know that Markov has missed most of the last two years due to injury. I mean how stupid do you have to be to not know that the guy is an injury risk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
of course, said like that, it looks stupid, but all of those are not simple facts, they're just like, your opinion man
So on the whole it looks stupid but they aren't simple facts? Not sure what you're saying here man.

The moves that we made individually don't look horrible. Cammy for Bourque and spare changes as an example isn't by itself a horrible move. It's just... why go this route? Why make a sideways move when we're already treading water and out of the playoffs? Moreover, why the hurry? And why saddle us with Kaberle? I know he's a better player than Spacek but he's got a bad contract, can't play D and he's old. It's the CONTEXT of the moves man. We're not anywhere near a playoff spot and he's making these short term moves that don't make sense from a long term perspective. The guy was desperately trying to save his job and avoid embarassment. There's no evidence of a PLAN here other than trying to tread water. That's not what we should be looking for in a GM man.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 02-16-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old
02-16-2012, 07:38 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Dude... it's in point form. I can see the point form but it is lacking a point.

Those are the moves he's made and when you look at it on the whole and take into context that we're well out of playoff spot while we made these moves they make ZERO sense long term. And please don't come back with crap like "Gosh golly I guess PG must be a doctor" or something silly like that. You didn't have to be Dr. Recchi to know that Markov has missed most of the last two years due to injury. I mean how stupid do you have to be to not know that the guy is an injury risk?
I guess Crosby should be immediatly traded, he is afterall going to be coming back from a concussion. He might not play again why take the risk? What kind of idiot would resign a player that had ANY kind of question marks surrounding his health? I mean he might play for the next 50 years but what if he doesnt?

Ya you are right, PG didn't know Markov is an injury risk. He has been busy watching Arrested Development and was like "I dunno sign him whatever just leave me alone!" No alternative.

None of those moves are that bad but you have your little agenda against him and you can't get past it. If Kaberle was making 2.5 million you wouldn't be saying ****, and Campoli has always been a 7th dman, just because RC uses him to much does not reflect on PG.

Old
02-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Halifaxhab

holy crap?!

looks like Gauthier will be placed in front of these massive text walls and shot.

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:19 PM
larek

Quote:

?
agree--- the old guy needs to be shown the door at seasons end

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:26 PM
hockeyfan2k11

The Gauthier sympathizers are baffling. I simply do not get it.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I'm all for a change. I actually want it. GM and coach, we need to revamp the management. I'm hoping Molson stepped in to say you're acting as an interim with the directive of selling assets. But I don't think Gauthier has been as horrible as some have painted him to be.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Gauthier should be fired....but he isn't as bad as some here have said. He did inherit some big headaches

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:40 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm all for a change. I actually want it. GM and coach, we need to revamp the management. I'm hoping Molson stepped in to say you're acting as an interim with the directive of selling assets. But I don't think Gauthier has been as horrible as some have painted him to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Gauthier should be fired....but he isn't as bad as some here have said. He did inherit some big headaches
Some have called him the worst GM in the league. I don't think he's the worst but he's not very good.....and yes he has inherited some headaches. The Gomez thing I don't blame him for. I'm sure if there was a deal there he'd take it. Cole signing was a good one, but there are far too many blunders for me to ignore. Too many. Then when I look at his history as a GM, he's not the guy that I want managing this team.

I have a feeling he will be here next year.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:07 PM
ReVeuF

We are back in the lottery zone... 26th in NHL

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote