HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Selling, Retooling, Rebuilding Only Thread

Old
01-18-2012, 10:53 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Yup! Sold

Emelin+Eller for Karlsson = YOU can have Emelin!! (and I love the potential of BOTH HABS - but think/project Karlsson will be a STAR!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
If you guys are selling could we have emelin please?

I say that the habs already have a good core to build around, they just need to get rid of the deadweight overpaid guys that dont show up.

Build around Subban, Price, Eller, Patches with solid vets like Cole, Gorges and get rid of dead weight like Kaberle Gomez Campoli etc

Good luck.

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:58 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
boo

Bad assessment IMHO! A captain for years, with honors, and keeping a "Nelly"?? Some stats are aren't quantifiable@!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneBourque27 View Post
Chasing Koivu was a blessing, the problem is that it should have been done earlier. We should have kept Ribeiro instead of Koivu back in the days.

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Et le But

Some fans would love it if all Europeans were chased out.

You'd expect better from a city like Montreal.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Oh of course. Nobody on this team is untradeable. But I don't see why you'd want to actively ship our most reliable veteran with a reasonable contract because he's having a mediocre season (like everyone else)
Well, the only to pieces I wouldn't consider shopping are Patches and Price. I guess I'd shop Pleks because he'd garner a lot of attention and could get a terrific return. I don't really see him in our teams future, but that's just a personal opinion on nothing more than a feeling. I'd love he could slot into the 2nd line center role he's so suited for, but as long as he's forced to play as our first line center, we're in trouble. I guess I just think we need to get bigger at center (while maintaining or improving skill). Pleks and DD don't really have the ability to consistently compete for pucks on the boards or in the offensive zone.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vinny Bombatz

Proposal: Montreal Deadline moves

Kostitsyn + 5th to Minnesota for Charlie Coyle

Moen to NJD for a 2nd

Gill to San Jose for a 3rd

Campoli to Dallas for a 4th

Kaberle to St-Louis for a Brett Ponich and a 3rd

Weber to Nsh for Tyler Pitlick

Gomez to anybody come July 1st

Draft in top 3-6 a pick-up a franchise forward...This team does not need a "re-build" they need a slight "re-modeling" via "prospect acquisitions + draft picks" and 3-4 solid signings with extra cap space come July. Montreal is not at playoff team this year, however with these moves they become one next year!

Vinny Bombatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
You dont want Plekanec as an example for the players. This guy dissapears in big games and never there when you need him. Gorges is a good veteran now, Cole also. They should take example on those guys
This team has no depth at center if you trade Pleks you might as well get rid of Price at the same time hes not going to want to finish in the basement for the next few years.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Rgolt

These are the most random guys ever lol. Have you actually seen any of them play?

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:03 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Gill to Chicago for 2nd

Moen to Detroit for 2nd

Campoli to Tampa for 4th

try to trade Gomez to anyone for a conditional year 3478 7th rd pick (condition to us getting the pick is if Gomez is still alive)

Call up Leblanc/Palushaj (with AK - Eller) ----or rotate callups to give them both some real time on a line with talent

Call up Mitera (see what he's got in his last year of ELC)

If AK won't resign for similar money (3.25-4M range) then trade him for 1st or prospect + 2nd

before draft

Fire Gauthier.....Hire Julien Brisebois

Try and draft either Grigorenko/Galcheniuyk
1) Those returns are a bit over-evaluated imo.

2) Julien Brisebois: So basically go get ANOTHER guy from Bob's crew for GM? No we need real change at hockey management. Total absolute change. We need our Peter Chiarelli moment. I think Patrick Roy is ready for such a challenge and has been GM of the Remparts for many years with continuous success.(Granted Quebec got an advantage attracting big name Europeans players because of the size of the city.) I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he declined multiple NHL level coach jobs: he wants to be GM. Who would want to be coach when there is a high probability you're gonna get canned in the 2-3 first years?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Koivu2001

vCash: 350
at the deadline, try to get picks for Weber, Gill, Campoli, Kaberle, Moen, and AK ( if he doesnt want to resign), tank for the rest of the season, draft Grigorenko or Galchenyk(sp), ship gomez to Alaska, and were a better team next season, eassy, no need to trade pleks or any other guy.

Koivu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Habs Junkie

I'm just wondering are any of you "tankers" season ticket holders?

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Well, the only to pieces I wouldn't consider shopping are Patches and Price. I guess I'd shop Pleks because he'd garner a lot of attention and could get a terrific return. I don't really see him in our teams future, but that's just a personal opinion on nothing more than a feeling. I'd love he could slot into the 2nd line center role he's so suited for, but as long as he's forced to play as our first line center, we're in trouble. I guess I just think we need to get bigger at center (while maintaining or improving skill). Pleks and DD don't really have the ability to conciectantly compete for pucks on the boards or in the offensive zone.
Well Eller might make Plekanec redundant in a few years but he has a long way to go. I agree that Pleks and DD isn't an idea combination, which is one reason I thought Desharnais future is as a winger. You don't want a true offensive 1C to have to concentrate on D to shield Desharnais as the 2C, unless you have a lot of confidence in your bottom lines.

Look at Vancouver. Of course Kesler is better than Plekanec and more physical but they play similar roles.

There's a reason Plekanec played over 20 minutes today even in a relatively poor game, he's really the only forward that is comfortable in every role. Getting rid of him would have to be for a deep return or a plan to be awful for a few years.

Of course this is my opinion as someone who rates Plekanec highly, but I just don't see anyone stepping up and leading the forwards the way he does. As good as Cole has been, he's still a much more limited player.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Vinny Bombatz

Montreal deadling moves...Load up on young size + picks then have a strong free-agency

Moen to NJD for a 2nd

Draft in top 3-6 a pick-up a franchise forward...This team does not need a "re-build" they need a slight "re-modeling" via "prospect acquisitions + draft picks" and 3-4 solid signings with extra cap space come July. Montreal is not at playoff team this year, however with these moves they become one next year!

Old
01-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
1) Those returns are a bit over-evaluated imo.

2) Julien Brisebois: So basically go get ANOTHER guy from Bob's crew for GM? No we need real change at hockey management. Total absolute change. We need our Peter Chiarelli moment. I think Patrick Roy is ready for such a challenge and has been GM of the Remparts for many years with continuous success.(Granted Quebec got an advantage attracting big name Europeans players because of the size of the city.) I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he declined multiple NHL level coach jobs: he wants to be GM. Who would want to be coach when there is a high probability you're gonna get canned in the 2-3 first years?
A Peter Chiarelli moment implies that we'd be getting a long serving lieutenant from a team that has a great modern era track record of excellent Management. There are really only 4 guys I'd consider:

Paul Fenton - Long serving assistant GM in Nashville, needs no further explanation.
Jim Benning - Assistant GM in Boston, was there pretty much from the beginning of Chiarelli's turnaround of Boston.
Jarmo Kekäläinen - GM of Jokerit. Helped draft Hossa and Havlat in Ottawa as director of player personnel and help build up the Blues as assistant GM and director of scouting. He also worked with Timmins in Ottawa.
Jim Nill - Long time assistant GM in Detroit, 'nuff said.

This is of course the views of an outsider, I'd probably look at more if I was privy to interviews and testaments of other executives.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:15 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Bombatz View Post
Montreal deadling moves...Load up on young size + picks then have a strong free-agency

Moen to NJD for a 2nd

Trading away all those players and drafting a franchise forward in the top 3-6 is the definition of rebuilding.

We have some decent core pieces (number 1 goalie, number 2 center, some good young D).

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:17 PM
bentheprop

If we trade Pleks for picks/prospects are you guys going to be happy when the team is still sucking in 3 years? He's our best center right now and it's not even close. The only way I'd even consider moving him is if he's the centerpiece in a deal that gets us someone with immediate star potential (i.e. Getzlaf).

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
I don't live in the city, but I spend quite a bit going to games every year. Looking forward to February 19th and 21st.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:20 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
If you guys are selling could we have emelin please?

I say that the habs already have a good core to build around, they just need to get rid of the deadweight overpaid guys that dont show up.

Build around Subban, Price, Eller, Patches with solid vets like Cole, Gorges and get rid of dead weight like Kaberle Gomez Campoli etc

Good luck.
For Zibanejad? Yes. Yes you may

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:21 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
No to Gaunce with a top pick. Galchenyuk, Forsberg,Girgensons...

If it's between Gaunce and the high upside Dmen, you pick the D.
He's up to 7th in the ISS rankings. Gal is 18th. Not saying I'm all about rankings.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Vinny Bombatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Trading away all those players and drafting a franchise forward in the top 3-6 is the definition of rebuilding.

We have some decent core pieces (number 1 goalie, number 2 center, some good young D).
"all those players" 4 of them are UFA, 1 with possibly the worst contract in the NHL...

That is simply a slight modification...Something along those lines keeps our core together...A rebuild would be trading - Plekanec + Max + Subban + Cole + ++

Old
01-18-2012, 11:24 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
If the inference that trading away Gill, Moen, Weber etc. would make a less entertaining product for the fans over the last month or two...you think the current roster is giving fans good entertainment value?

I'm not on board with a massive overhaul just yet (i.e. I wouldn't be shopping Plekanec unless it was a too good to pass up offer) but if the team dealt the UFAs to be, assembled a few extra picks and prospects, and gave some young guys some legit ice time, I think people would understand it's short term blah for a better future. Chances are pretty strong that March is going to be blah whether the UFAs are traded or not.

To start, trade Gill, Campoli, Moen. Give that icetime to Emelin and Weber (i.e. no more healthy scratches) and let Palushaj and Blunden have a legit go of it in the bottom 6 to see what you've got. I don't think the team will be missing all that much frankly and it makes the best out of a currently crappy situation.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
If we trade Pleks for picks/prospects are you guys going to be happy when the team is still sucking in 3 years? He's our best center right now and it's not even close. The only way I'd even consider moving him is if he's the centerpiece in a deal that gets us someone with immediate star potential (i.e. Getzlaf).
Getzlaf is such an overrated player. He's a PPG guy playing with loads of talent in Anaheim. Do you expect to maintain that level of play here in Montréal? I'd say he'd be a 70 point guy with the Habs, which is only slightly superior to Plekanec. He has a good defensive game, but not quite on Plekanec's level. He's not much of a goal scorer either, with a career best of only 25 goals. So basically, he's been feeding the puck to guys like Perry, Ryan, Neidermayer and Pronger over the years, which gives him decent totals, but the truth is that he'd never get that sort of support in Montréal.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

BTW, I didn't see this posted, but here are some names Darren Dreger mentioned during the game as possible GM Candidates for Montreal:

(in no particular order)
Jacques Martin - scout, Montreal
Julien Brisebois - Assistant GM, Tampa
Doug Risebrough - consultant, NYR
Claude Loiselle - Assistant GM, Toronto
Pierre McGuire - Hockey Analyst, TSN/NBC
Marc Bergevin - Assistant GM, Chicago
John Ferguson Jr. - Director of Pro Scouting, San Jose

Honestly, the list is terrible.

Last edited by Captain Smurf: 01-19-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old
01-18-2012, 11:32 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneBourque27 View Post
Chasing Koivu was a blessing, the problem is that it should have been done earlier. We should have kept Ribeiro instead of Koivu back in the days.
Didn't you say you bet $100 on tonights game? I think I feel a little better now.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:37 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
We have a very good chance at drafting a high end centre like Grigorenko or Galchenyuk who could possibly be a legit #1 centre. If someone wants Plekanec bad enough to overpay you trade him because Pleks costs too much to be a #2 and is not good enough to be a #1, besides we have Eller and DD who can be our #2/3

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Getzlaf is such an overrated player. He's a PPG guy playing with loads of talent in Anaheim. Do you expect to maintain that level of play here in Montréal? I'd say he'd be a 70 point guy with the Habs, which is only slightly superior to Plekanec. He has a good defensive game, but not quite on Plekanec's level. He's not much of a goal scorer either, with a career best of only 25 goals. So basically, he's been feeding the puck to guys like Perry, Ryan, Neidermayer and Pronger over the years, which gives him decent totals, but the truth is that he'd never get that sort of support in Montréal.
Well this is what this thread is about. Building a team with said support and even better.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote