HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bell Centre no longer Selling out

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2012, 10:29 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

vCash: 500
Bell Centre no longer Selling out

After last years mini-attendance fiasco at Percival Molson, I can't say I'm vastly surprised by what I saw today. Let's face it, from Phoenix to Philadelphia there has always been a difference between actual numbers at the gates and the amount of tickets sold.

But not at the Bell Centre. When the Canadiens sell out the 21 273 seats, you can bet it's a full house.
And so it's been for almost a decade.

But Dave Stubbs really put things in perspective recently

A few people came back today from the Canadiens Metro Practice today and media outlets were already starting to wonder why the Canadiens reported 18 000 present when the number was closer to 15 000.

The end of an era ?

I still remember the good'ol days of Shayne Corson and Sheldon Souray at Zellers waiting for fans to show up ... sigh ...

Old
01-22-2012, 10:33 PM
ThaDevilGirl

I don't think you can rely on an open practice to claim that the Bell Centre isn't sold out. Most tickets were sold before the season began.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:40 PM
MouF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORENW View Post
After last years mini-attendance fiasco at Percival Molson, I can't say I'm vastly surprised by what I saw today. Let's face it, from Phoenix to Philadelphia there has always been a difference between actual numbers at the gates and the amount of tickets sold.

But not at the Bell Centre. When the Canadiens sell out the 21 273 seats, you can bet it's a full house.
And so it's been for almost a decade.

But Dave Stubbs really put things in perspective recently

A few people came back today from the Canadiens Metro Practice today and media outlets were already starting to wonder why the Canadiens reported 18 000 present when the number was closer to 15 000.

The end of an era ?

I still remember the good'ol days of Shayne Corson and Sheldon Souray at Zellers waiting for fans to show up ... sigh ...
i think they just need to get their ****together, maybe bring Demers back ...and lower the price of beer at the bell center...

i rememeber back in the day waiting in line at the local timies for Roy's autograph.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Evil Ted

I just think the cost of seeing a hockey game live is ridiculous especially if you have to travel and stay a night or two. This goes for all Canadian cities myself I had a chance to see a game this year at discounted ticket prices and I decided the money was too much. With money and employment as tight as it is I don't think I'm alone in stating this.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:45 PM
poetryinmotion

I hope this doesn't affect the hockey operations of the club.. like say a certain owner telling a certain general manager to start doing some patchwork.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Bieber fever

lol Geoff Moslon got totally screwed up by Gillet. Gillet is actually a good businessman , Goeff is just a spoiled kid who have no clue what he is doing.

Bell center will be sold out for a very long time , but the real money are made in the playoff and on the marchandise ( t-shirt, jersey, flag ,ect ) and nobody wants to buy this **** anymore.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:03 PM
lou4gehrig

Despite what people think, but if we drafted Yakupov or Grigorenko and they turn out to be a franchise player who is top 10 in the league in scoring, that would sell more tickets than finishing 8th every season while playing boring defensive hockey.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouF View Post
i think they just need to get their ****together, maybe bring Demers back ...and lower the price of beer at the bell center...

i rememeber back in the day waiting in line at the local timies for Roy's autograph.
I don't mind the price of beer so much because it controls the amount people can consume in most cases and avoids certain bad situations with people not holding their liquor down.
What I do mind is the 4:50 for a bottle of water. Heck, it's 2:50 at Disney World!
Also, the food is way expensive, and souvenirs cost a **** load. Parking is also over priced.
Average Families can't afford to go there anymore, and the people who are getting tickets given to them don't care like they use to.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Kjell Dahlin

15K-18K fans for a practice? Heck... a lot of cities in the US would like that kind of attendance... for a real game.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Kovalev could sell out a practice like that on his own he was so talented. I don't want to go on a debate about how lazy or not he was, but my point is that the Habs don't have the "draw power" for an event of that nature anymore.

Plus, with the season the team is having... I wouldn't read too much into this.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:45 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Kovalev could sell out a practice like that on his own he was so talented. I don't want to go on a debate about how lazy or not he was, but my point is that the Habs don't have the "draw power" for an event of that nature anymore.

Plus, with the season the team is having... I wouldn't read too much into this.
The "low" attendance is due to the ****** season the team is having. If at least they were contending for a playoff spot people would have filled the arena. Fans only care about the Habs when they are winning, simple as that.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
The "low" attendance is due to the ****** season the team is having. If at least they were contending for a playoff spot people would have filled the arena. Fans only care about the Habs when they are winning, simple as that.
No they don't, I cheered for them every single season since I started watching, even through the "dark" era. Whenever I can get my hands on tickets, I go. The fans that don't care when the team sucks are not fans.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
No they don't, I cheered for them every single season since I started watching, even through the "dark" era. Whenever I can get my hands on tickets, I go. The fans that don't care when the team sucks are not fans.

What he said. I cheer, buy merch pay for center ice see a game live every other year or so.
But if we have to duck for a year which I don't think will happen, I wouldn't mind a top 3 pick

Old
01-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Despite what people think, but if we drafted Yakupov or Grigorenko and they turn out to be a franchise player who is top 10 in the league in scoring, that would sell more tickets than finishing 8th every season while playing boring defensive hockey.
That's why I have this possible theory that now that the season has gone to ****, Molson decided now was the time to tank and get good picks. Hence why he's letting Gauthier get these under achievers, making sure Gomez plays, letting the kids play a little more, etc.

I mean let's face it, if they are 7-8th place for the next 20 years again I will not be a fan.. I have supported this team through thick and thin but at one point if there no change I'm gonna stop supporting this team.

Some fans will lose it if Molson goes public and says, "Ok we're rebuilding again, expect us to suck for the next 2-3 years.." The way to sell the most tickets is to say, "Winning the cup every year is our goal." But no team but Detroit has been able to do that in the last 20 years..

BUT at this point the season the Habs are closer to last spot than 8th.

WHAT BETTER TIME TO GET A TOP PICK????

All you need is a little creativity and you can get a team to lose just the right amount of games to make it look like your goal is to make 8th when in fact it is to aim for last. Cammalleri might have been onto this and that is why he thought they played like losers.

So fail this season and maybe the next and sure you might land 2 great players to build around the the next 10.. It's one strategy. Worked for Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Washington.

I have no proof that anyone is purposely finding ways to lose, but I can tell you one thing, I've worked with enough business men to know that whatever they tell the public is ALL PR. I stopped taking anything they say as fact. They just say what you want to hear and behind closed doors they have completely different agendas..

Old
01-23-2012, 12:30 AM
coolasprICE

Thread title = Misleading

Old
01-23-2012, 12:32 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

If they moved back to the old forum, they'd sell out.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
01-23-2012, 12:34 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

They ARE sold out. Attendance on the other hand....

Old
01-23-2012, 12:37 AM
BlancHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
True.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:42 AM
BlancHabs

Not max capacity at a fan practice?
Not to big of a deal.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Undertakerqc

The way the Habs have mistreated a large chunk of the population, its no wonder they are not selling out anymore, and it will get worse i guarantee you. A large portion of the population will turn their back on the Habs once the Nords are back, if they Nords play their cards right.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:55 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
The way the Habs have mistreated a large chunk of the population, its no wonder they are not selling out anymore, and it will get worse i guarantee you. A large portion of the population will turn their back on the Habs once the Nords are back, if they Nords play their cards right.
Don't kid yourself. A portion, but it isn't large by any means.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:18 AM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Don't kid yourself. A portion, but it isn't large by any means.
thats going to depend on what team they gel nordiques will take away some revenue from habs-- if they do it right with a french flavor could puta decent dent in habs org

Old
01-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
I can''t wait for that to happen.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I can''t wait for that to happen.
Me too. The Habs have a pretty massive fanbase, and the return of a team that was once moved won't affect it as much as some are suggesting. But if it gets the language yahoo's and similars to coomplain about another team then I wont be crying. At the very least, localized competition may actually force Montreal to improve the on ice product more competently than before. Which may easier if they don't have their hiring practices that put them at a disadvantage.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Frankly, given the circus act the media has caused this year, the Nords may be waiting several more years before ever seeing a franchise. Montreal was bad enough with the ridiculous whining, why would the NHL want more of this to deal with? And before anyone says revenue, they can stick a team in Hamilton without a fraction of the problems. BC can also support another team, never mind the US options.

Either way, no a large portion will not abandon the Habs.

Closed Thread