HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Montreal ever be successful with all this negativity and pressure from the media?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2012, 12:58 AM
  #26
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab73 View Post
Habs will be successful with good GM, good coach and good team. Media is least our problem...
Confidence has alot to do with pro sports and hockey certainly is no exception its difficult to obtain it when the media and fans undermine it constantly. I dont care if players go out of there way to avoid reading the papers or listening to the radio and such it still effects them, they still have to awnser the stupid questions that are asked durring media scrums and such. Remember when Koivu got the high stick from Williams and someone sneaked into nab a picture? Or the darkest day in habs history english vs french? Only in Montreal.


There is potential and posibility to be successful with the right staff and roster but the city fans and media hurt this team like no other in the NHL. Qubecs return to the NHL I think could be a strp in the right direction as far as releasing some pressure

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:05 AM
  #27
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 16,006
vCash: 500
Habs will be successful the day a GM will tell the fans: "Look, this year might suck, we want to develop our young guys, even get a great draft pick and build from there". We don't accept losing, true. But it's even worse when you get promised things like "We can go far this year". If anything, Habs should be honest.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:15 AM
  #28
Mr_Lyle
Registered User
 
Mr_Lyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
If pro hockey players can't be bothered to play their hearts out in this city, which is arguably the biggest stage in all of hockey, because they can't take criticism from the media, then 1) I don't want them here, and 2) They probably have no business being a PROFESSIONAL athlete.

All that aside, the day Quebec City gets a hockey team back is the day that every Habs fan should go out and celebrate in the streets like we won the stanley cup. There's no measuring the amount of weight that will be lifted from the shoulders of this organization when that day comes. Half the RDS crew will go cover them, many of the newspaper sport journalists will get reassigned to cover the new team. Local TV and Radio stations will have another team to talk about. The Habs will no longer be the end all and be all of this province.

Mark my words, the day Quebec gets an NHL franchise is the day this team starts turning around and begin the climb back to the top after these last 20 miserable years of dog poop.

Mr_Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:35 AM
  #29
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Emanresu Wen;42721565]I'm reading a couple of daily newspapers here and there and it's pathetic. Every loss is amplified tenfold. Wins get a couple of cliff notes. Every time something bad happens, writers talk about "imagine if". Much talk about our rare frenchies when they get a point, nothing by others. When someone gets traded, it's always if it were a good riddance.

It's like if the media is happy when the Habs lose. And got nothing to say once they win. A while ago, there was that Kostitsyns "fiasco". Media aggressively plotted unimaginable stories and were practically visualizing the two Belorussians behind bars. Last week Cammalleri told that his team is going through a losing mentality. Media paraphrased it as Cammalleri insulting the whole franchise.

It's godamn unbearable anymore. Habs could go on a 10 game winning streak and journalist would write "too bad they aren't at 11 yet".[/QUOTE

unbearable to you -- the semi final run showed that negative can turn into positive--
why wouldnt there be negative writeups??
i believe your exagerating about the whole thing

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:37 AM
  #30
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Habs will be successful the day a GM will tell the fans: "Look, this year might suck, we want to develop our young guys, even get a great draft pick and build from there". We don't accept losing, true. But it's even worse when you get promised things like "We can go far this year". If anything, Habs should be honest.
If you say that then you really do develop a loser's attitude. It's hard to get out of. Edmonton flat out admitted they were tanking and even with all they have they can't get out of the basement, because everyone there is a loser, all they know how to do is lose.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:39 AM
  #31
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Lyle View Post
If pro hockey players can't be bothered to play their hearts out in this city, which is arguably the biggest stage in all of hockey, because they can't take criticism from the media, then 1) I don't want them here, and 2) They probably have no business being a PROFESSIONAL athlete.

All that aside, the day Quebec City gets a hockey team back is the day that every Habs fan should go out and celebrate in the streets like we won the stanley cup. There's no measuring the amount of weight that will be lifted from the shoulders of this organization when that day comes. Half the RDS crew will go cover them, many of the newspaper sport journalists will get reassigned to cover the new team. Local TV and Radio stations will have another team to talk about. The Habs will no longer be the end all and be all of this province.

Mark my words, the day Quebec gets an NHL franchise is the day this team starts turning around and begin the climb back to the top after these last 20 miserable years of dog poop.

definately will help to have competition in the province--should move the blues to Quebec City-- wonder how molsons would like that

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:45 AM
  #32
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 7,914
vCash: 500
Montreal isn't the only team that faces that sort of pressure and scrutiny.

We in Toronto put the same on the Leafs.

The funny thing about that media negativity and scrutiny, is that it seems to rear it's ugly head ONLY when the team is playing poorly.

When the team does well though, it's almost like a completely different media-set begin to cover the team; things are said and people are praised that you would never expect.

As a Leaf fan, I think the hypocrisy and idiocy of other Leafs fans makes us pathetic and one of the worst fan bases in the league; but with that being said, I'm almost not naive to ignore just how big and passionate the fan bases of Montreal and Toronto are.

Simply put - there are no better places to be in the hockey universe than those 2 cities, when the team is winning. The problem, for both, is that winning hasn't happened recently.

I'd imagine that once it starts to happen again, the media will take a very different approach and stance.

There wasn't much scrutiny and pressure on the team 2 years ago when the Habs made it to the conference finals, was there?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:45 AM
  #33
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
If you say that then you really do develop a loser's attitude. It's hard to get out of. Edmonton flat out admitted they were tanking and even with all they have they can't get out of the basement, because everyone there is a loser, all they know how to do is lose.
there young kids are like 18to20 just wait and you will see a turnaround
youve waited 19 years for habs and still waiting

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:57 AM
  #34
Mr_Lyle
Registered User
 
Mr_Lyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Montreal isn't the only team that faces that sort of pressure and scrutiny.

We in Toronto put the same on the Leafs.

I know it might seem that way, but it's not even freakin' close. And not because we're superfans or love our team or hockey more than you love the Leafs. I'm sure you guys love the Leafs just as much as we love the Habs.

The difference is, you guys have 3 professional sports teams in Toronto and another team in Ottawa. Even if you, and all your friends and family don't care about those other sports, enough people and media outlets do. The spotlight isn't always 100% on the Toronto Maple Leafs, even though it might seem that way to you. It isn't.

Here in Quebec, we have the Montreal Canadiens. And that's all we've really had since the 94 MLB strike that eventually killed the Expos. It's nothing but Habs here 24/7, even during the off season. It's freakin' insanity you can't even begin to imagine unless you live here. Our situations aren't comparable.


Last edited by Mr_Lyle: 01-19-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Mr_Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:04 AM
  #35
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 7,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Lyle View Post
I know it might seem that way, but it's not even freakin' close. And not because we're superfans or love our team or hockey more than you love the Leafs. I'm sure you guys love the Leafs just as much as we love the Habs.

The difference is, you guys have 3 professional sports teams in Toronto and another team in Ottawa. Even if you, and all your friends and family don't care about those other sports, enough people and media outlets do. The spotlight isn't always 100% on the Toronto Maple Leafs, even though it might seem that way to you. It isn't.

Here in Quebec, we have the Montreal Canadians. And that's all we've really had since the 94 MLB strike that eventually killed the Expos. It's nothing but Habs here 24/7, even during the off season. It's freakin' insanity you can't even begin to imagine unless you live here. Our situations aren't comparable.
Fair point.

I won't contest that it might be a little worse in Montreal, but I think you'd be surprised though if you ever spent time over here.

Toronto's other sports teams - namely the Blue Jays and the Argos, get very little tv time and attention.

The standard sports recap/talk shows spend more time talking about Canadian hockey (including the Canadians), than they do our other local teams.

If there is a Habs game on, or an all-Canadian match up on one night of the week, we will get in-depth highlights, some interviews, some analysis etc. The Jays and Argos barely get that.

Note - I've deliberately left out Toronto FC; our most feverishly supported sports team, gets no attention here which is nuts.

My point is that the 2 markets are very comparable in this regard, and the solution to much of it is the same - winning.

As a Leafs fan, I'm going to be totally honest and say that I'm enjoying watching your team struggle, but there's sympathy from me towards the fans because the Leafs have been there too and what ends up happening is the media gets so negative and nasty, that the fans buy into it and that's where the problems begin - when the fans aren't objective anymore and begin to spout the same crap that the media spews. And I'm fairly certain that's what is going on in Montreal right now.

Note - I've deliberately left out Toronto FC; our most feverishly supported sports team, gets no attention here which is nuts.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:21 AM
  #36
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Fair point.

I won't contest that it might be a little worse in Montreal, but I think you'd be surprised though if you ever spent time over here.

Toronto's other sports teams - namely the Blue Jays and the Argos, get very little tv time and attention.

The standard sports recap/talk shows spend more time talking about Canadian hockey (including the Canadians), than they do our other local teams.

If there is a Habs game on, or an all-Canadian match up on one night of the week, we will get in-depth highlights, some interviews, some analysis etc. The Jays and Argos barely get that.

Note - I've deliberately left out Toronto FC; our most feverishly supported sports team, gets no attention here which is nuts.

My point is that the 2 markets are very comparable in this regard, and the solution to much of it is the same - winning.

As a Leafs fan, I'm going to be totally honest and say that I'm enjoying watching your team struggle, but there's sympathy from me towards the fans because the Leafs have been there too and what ends up happening is the media gets so negative and nasty, that the fans buy into it and that's where the problems begin - when the fans aren't objective anymore and begin to spout the same crap that the media spews. And I'm fairly certain that's what is going on in Montreal right now.

Note - I've deliberately left out Toronto FC; our most feverishly supported sports team, gets no attention here which is nuts.
lol- no media hasnt made me question the last 19 years and whats been done

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:30 AM
  #37
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,320
vCash: 500
meh! medias are no worse than the fans who seem to have no problems raining on the Org or it's players...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 03:58 AM
  #38
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
The media and many fans in Montreal are basically like my senile uncle: they love when things go wrong for others because they get to call them stupid and pat themselves on the back for being smarter when in reality they don't have a ****ing clue.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 04:33 AM
  #39
pachorella
Registered User
 
pachorella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
even if a GM is in full tanking mode, he won't tell the media we are in tanking mode, he wants his young players to develop in a competing surrounding, you cannot just say we are going to suck this year.

pachorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 05:10 AM
  #40
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
the biggest caveat to success is players not wanting to come here, no single player will want to sign here if things were equal with another city, zero, but one could hardly blame them. I do, however, believe that can be changed, the best way to change it is to rebuild through the draft and bring in our own winning players, get a winning team with competent management and all the sudden Montreal becomes an attractive place again, as it stands now, the team is a mess and we shouldn't be attempting to sign top UFA's anyways, we should be building the foundation for success.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:04 AM
  #41
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,021
vCash: 500
B.S excuse...

contrary to popular belief, the media scrutiny montreal has is in no way the reason for the continued failure of the team.

lots of pro teams in various sports in various markets face similar, if not greater/more intense scrutiny, and succeed despite it.


Montreal is failing b/c they haven't had elite management/leadership for far too long.

Mediocre leadership leads to mediocre results, pretty strsight forward.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:13 AM
  #42
HeShootsHeScores
Registered User
 
HeShootsHeScores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,669
vCash: 500
Maybe the habs are better as underdogs. When we think they are a good balanced team, they choke and their fail gets amplified from loss to loss, to sinking ship. (2008-2009).

Problem is, underdogs story are epic and fun, but rarely makes a team win the SC.

So yeah, the medias and fan might have something to do with helping the ship to sink.

But barely a factor overall imo.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:27 AM
  #43
Schwang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kingston, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,038
vCash: 500
See the mid to late 70's, '86 and '93.

The key is having the right coaching staff and making the neccesary moves for the organization to succeed.

Instead of criticizing them at this point, the media should be smart enough to realize we are in tank mode.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:27 AM
  #44
Pedro McGuire*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
No they cant.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:33 AM
  #45
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,673
vCash: 500
It's not the media, it's the fan. The medias role is to sell. To sell, it gives that the customers want. How else could you explain that the Antichambre is on 6 nights a week, talking exclusively of the Habs? How else do you explain that there are 3 TV talkshows covering each of the Habs games? LaPresse has 4-5 journalists devoted to the Habs.

It is profitable to do so, because fans want to be overwhelmed by Habs news. That is why we ask for trades after each goal given up. Trades make the news, and it makes discussion topics. **** the team, we just want to talk about it!

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:04 AM
  #46
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,939
vCash: 500
I feel like the media in Montreal deliberately tries to pull the team apart. The witch hunts are annoying. Montreal will always have a tougher time to compete because of the stupid media.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:24 AM
  #47
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,513
vCash: 500
i do believe that it is an additional problem.

in all organisations ... you try to look for the best ... yet other filters come and remove the best you can have.

You may be looking for the best player but if he is shy, he will be better in a team where the players do not play under "la loupe" !!

A striking exemple was Martin Gerber who played for Ottawa, being under the loup didn't suit him. He was inconsistent. While before when he was playing with the Carolina Huricanes .. he did great and lead the team to the playoffs. That year, Ray Emery, in my view an inferior goalie to Gerber took place, the crowd just loved him because he behaved like a star, being pulled by police, going through 1000 excentricities ... they loved him. He would fight with other players. But as a matter of fact he was an inferior goalie compared to Gerber. This year, with Gerber in the goals, they would have been champs but because of the pressure ... they failed.
... the loup costed them the title in my view (and the real career to Gerber and Emery)

So generally the pressure of the public goes with income (more fans) and therefore means generally automatically better players. But not in the NHL where salaries are caped !! Therefore ... it adds mainly negative (on a game level) as long as the frenchises have enough money to fill up the salary cap.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:26 AM
  #48
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
I'm reading a couple of daily newspapers here and there and it's pathetic. Every loss is amplified tenfold. Wins get a couple of cliff notes. Every time something bad happens, writers talk about "imagine if". Much talk about our rare frenchies when they get a point, nothing by others. When someone gets traded, it's always if it were a good riddance.

It's like if the media is happy when the Habs lose. And got nothing to say once they win. A while ago, there was that Kostitsyns "fiasco". Media aggressively plotted unimaginable stories and were practically visualizing the two Belorussians behind bars. Last week Cammalleri told that his team is going through a losing mentality. Media paraphrased it as Cammalleri insulting the whole franchise.

It's godamn unbearable anymore. Habs could go on a 10 game winning streak and journalist would write "too bad they aren't at 11 yet".
I think it makes it harder, but not impossible by any means. The Yankees and Red Sox and other sports teams have had success in that environment, it makes losing a lot harder though as you can't escape it. I think one thing I'd like to see is a coach and/or GM step up and deflect some of the attention from the players at times.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:21 AM
  #49
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
the biggest caveat to success is players not wanting to come here, no single player will want to sign here if things were equal with another city, zero, but one could hardly blame them. I do, however, believe that can be changed, the best way to change it is to rebuild through the draft and bring in our own winning players, get a winning team with competent management and all the sudden Montreal becomes an attractive place again, as it stands now, the team is a mess and we shouldn't be attempting to sign top UFA's anyways, we should be building the foundation for success.
Sums up my thoughts exactly. The media doesnt help but they arent the problem for the lack of success.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:36 AM
  #50
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov76 View Post
I think the media is very representative of the fan base. Just look at all the bipolarity around here. After a win it's "I BELIEVE I BELIEVE". After a loss it's "TANK TANK". No middle ground.
I think it's the opposite, most fans are just such drones that they form their opinion based on the media plain and simple. You see it here all the time, opinions by the masses but it's just something Tony said on the radio the other day.

Heck, we have posters on this forum who think guys like Pierre McGuire and Tony Marinaro would make solid general managers. I think that just goes to show how easily influenced people are by these media personalities.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.