HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

19 Jan '12 - Wild probably get buried by leaves in Toronto - 6PM CT - FSN/WI/TSN

Old
01-19-2012, 09:08 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I honestly think it was Butch getting knocked silly in Winnipeg that turned it. Yes, honestly.

I know it's a broken record but IMO the Wild had two strong playmakers (i.e. guys who can create offense out of nothing, not just guys with assists)...Lats and Butch. With Lats out and Butch concussed, we were very easy to shut down.
Yep.

Without Butch... Single threat team. Easy to shut down.

Whole reason why I've been shouting at anyone that will listen to me that with a healthy Koivu.. the lines need to be...

Heatley - Koivu - Clutterbuck
Wellman - Cullen - Setoguchi.

Splitting up Heater and Seto... Just. Makes. Too. Much. ****ing. Sense.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You can see the supreme hesitation in their game when they play together. Seto nicely ignored Heatley and drove the net earlier, but then Heatley kept going offsides and overpassing to Seto.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
You must be great at parties.
Honestly I am a ****ing madman when I am drunk.

Hey look at this, FSNorth is showing something with a lot of actual Sharks in it.

The Universe must be trying to tell me something.

Oh yeah, The Sharks play the Senators in 20 minutes and I'm gonna watch it live.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I honestly think it was Butch getting knocked silly in Winnipeg that turned it. Yes, honestly.

I know it's a broken record but IMO the Wild had two strong playmakers (i.e. guys who can create offense out of nothing, not just guys with assists)...Lats and Butch. With Lats out and Butch concussed, we were very easy to shut down.
Agreed. If the Wild were the Titanic, the ending to that game in Winnipeg was the iceberg.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dee Oh Cee

Yeah might as well turn this into a thirsty thursday...

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

There. I changed my FB and Twitter avatars away from the Church of Yeo.

FB is me at a game in the suites.

Twitter is of a crushed egg.

Feel better?

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Which green circle was you again?

Old
01-19-2012, 09:16 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Yep.

Without Butch... Single threat team. Easy to shut down.

Whole reason why I've been shouting at anyone that will listen to me that with a healthy Koivu.. the lines need to be...

Heatley - Koivu - Clutterbuck
Wellman - Cullen - Setoguchi.

Splitting up Heater and Seto... Just. Makes. Too. Much. ****ing. Sense.
Makes sense because one's a declining goal scorer who's used to playing with elite talents and the other is living off a successful start to his career playing with elite talents.

But at this point, it doesn't matter who Yeo puts out with who. There's not one player tonight I can honestly say I was happy with their game. Content with some, but not good enough.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Post-game comments

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
More Mike Yeo: "We were in it for about the first 15 seconds, and then..." #Wild
http://twitter.com/#!/ArashMadani/st...96792712048640

So true...

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:21 PM
State of Hockey

14th time the Wild has scored just one goal.

32nd time they've scored two goals or less.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Just sad. So sad.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:05 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Russo's Blog

Quote:
Frustration was everywhere in the silent locker room. Nick Schultz, the Wild’s best player by far (plus-1, five blocked shots, three hits), went on a bit of a diatribe where five times he dropped F-bombs while talking about how the Wild’s throwing away the season and can’t wait for Mikko and Gui and Butch to save the day.

Nick Schultz! He did it in a controlled way, but he couldn’t stop himself from the expletives.
1. You're finally realizing this NOW?

2. If you're that ticked off, then DO SOMETHING! Actions are louder than words! And the only thing we're seeing is guys who aren't afraid to voice their concerns (and solutions) to the media, yet when they hit the ice, they go stupid again.

3. Is it wrong that I find it funny how this is coming from Schultz? Does he view his own game tape? Where's Todd Richards and his videos when ya need him!

Old
01-19-2012, 11:26 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Russo's Blog

2. If you're that ticked off, then DO SOMETHING! Actions are louder than words! And the only thing we're seeing is guys who aren't afraid to voice their concerns (and solutions) to the media, yet when they hit the ice, they go stupid again.

3. Is it wrong that I find it funny how this is coming from Schultz? Does he view his own game tape? Where's Todd Richards and his videos when ya need him!
You have to be careful when you ask a D-man to "DO SOMETHING!" though. Look how Burnzie played here––his inconsistency mostly came from the fact that he was incredibly gaffe-prone when he thought he had to carry the team on his back.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Russo's Blog

The fact that they're starting to drop F-Bombs gives me hope that they still care at this point.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:38 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
The fact that they're starting to drop F-Bombs gives me hope that they still care at this point.
Yes, but let's hope they didn't drop those f-bombs around Spurg. That type of language shouldn't be used around kids.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Yes, but let's hope they didn't drop those f-bombs around Spurg. That type of language shouldn't be used around kids.
Speak for yourself, I started dropping em in 2nd grade.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:45 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Speak for yourself, I started dropping em in 2nd grade.
I hear ya. I learned everything there was to know by the age of 9....all courtesy of the high school kids in the back of the bus.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
I hear ya. I learned everything there was to know by the age of 9....all courtesy of the high school kids in the back of the bus.
I didnt ride a bus until 7th grade... no, that year I just really REALLY hated my teacher.

Old
01-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Dudicles

I watched (most) of this game with no expectations or hopes at all. It's pretty much gotten comical how badly they've been playing.

The good news is that it doesn't really get much worse when you're already the worst...

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:12 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Lets call Lats and Butch going down "wobble" events...as in they started to make the team wobble a bit. Koivu going down is the knockdown event, in my mind. That overtime loss to Chicago one night after losing to the Jets was actually a really, really good game, and was the last one, in my mind, where the Wild were really playing like they should have, and the last time they showed any fight when in a bad position.
Butch going down was the killer. Koivu's injury was the dramaticized Hollywood death blow. Mikko can carry the team offensively over very short spurts, as long as they continue to play behind him. Without Butch or Lats, the team became completely one dimensional.

That said, if Koivu were not injured, I still vote for him and Heater to be broken up. I know everyone cries about how "Heater and Cullen have now had their chance and look like crap together," but that's not really true. Cullen has looked like crap as a 1C, because he's not a 1C. As poor as Heater's play has been, other teams do still need to respect his offensive abilities. A Seto-Koivu-Clutter line followed by a Heater-Cullen-Wellman line would spread out that offense, keeping a shooter, a pivot, and a crasher on each line. It wouldn't be a strong 1-2 punch, but it should be enough to win if the team doesn't collapse defensively.

Ultimately, this team needs to catch some bounces for once. Last night was ridiculous. Every time the puck went up awkwardly in the air, it landed on a Leaf player's stick. Deflect a pass? Went right to his other linemate. Block a shot? Bounces right back out to the shooter. Strange hop off the boards? Creates a scoring chance. Yes, to an extent you have to "earn" your bounces and "create your own luck." But at the same time, some things are just purely luck, and we've had nothing but bad in that regard. With the team confidence where it is, we need something to build off of, and at this point that almost has to be a lucky break because it's really not coming any other way.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:19 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Russo's Blog

That's phrased really harshly, as I thought he was saying that Schultz "can't wait for Mikko and Butch to return" rather than telling the rest of the team that's not an option. It's about time Schultz started remembering he has a letter on his jersey. At least last night he didn't play terrible. In fact, it might have been his best game all year.

The blue line in the offensive zone last night looked...servicable. They had a little bit of puck movement. Spurgeon and Schultz each had moments where they stepped up into the offensive zone well. Zid wasn't too terrible. I'm pretending those are the only defensemen we dressed... If Schultz can keep up that play, we should soon be able to put a call in for Scandella and Prosser, and re-dress Falk to run this blue line:

Schultz-Zidlicky
Scandella-Spurgeon
Falk-Prosser

We've had some success with that or something similar. If Schultz can maintain last night's play, that lineup should be able to at least not lose games for us, and if we get the start of the year Scandella back, they should even be able to generate a little puck movement.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote