HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton - Montreal

Old
01-20-2012, 12:49 AM
oil4life14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Not really.

Josh Harding
Al Montoya
Evgeni Nabokov
Tomas Vokoun
Mike Smith

Harding has had injury problems though. Nabokov, is well, Nabby. Vokoun is nearing the end of his career, most likely. Smith is having a great year. Montoya is a beast.
So if the UFA goalie pool ain't that bad why wouldn't the oilers sign one of these tenders you have mentioned and keep Jordan Eberle?

Harding Eberle and Dubnyk >>>>>>>>>>>>> Price

oil4life14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:24 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Honestly, I believe the value is easily there for Edmonton - we'd probably have to add.

However, Eberle contributes a lot to the young players on this team and is a key cog of the rebuild. He's also a fan favorite. If we remove the human element of everything, I'd definitely do this trade for Price.

As for RNH, I wouldn't think about it. I think RNH is going to be special.

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Counter
EDm 1st 2012, Ana2nd 2013, Dubnyk, Paajarvi, Hamilton

MTL Price Tinordi

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:17 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Counter
EDm 1st 2012, Ana2nd 2013, Dubnyk, Paajarvi, Hamilton

MTL Price Tinordi
I'd do this one.

Two potential top3 picks would be absolutely amazing (Habs WILL finish in the cellar if Price gets traded). We'd also have 3 2nd rounders in 2013 and its a deep year apparantly. Habs would be foolish to pass, even if it means going on a major rebuild. I like Tinordi but its little to pay for all coming back.

No way to the original proposal however. Eberle's very nice but a franchise goaltender is better.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:54 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I'd do this one.

Two potential top3 picks would be absolutely amazing (Habs WILL finish in the cellar if Price gets traded). We'd also have 3 2nd rounders in 2013 and its a deep year apparantly. Habs would be foolish to pass, even if it means going on a major rebuild. I like Tinordi but its little to pay for all coming back.

No way to the original proposal however. Eberle's very nice but a franchise goaltender is better.
I wouldnt, because it takes away two very important pieces for that rebuild.

-

As for the OP - too bad they didnt think doing this last year, before Halak was traded... then it *might* be possible from Habs pov.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:50 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
I obviously don't see this trade happening, but I wanted to see just how far off it was. I usually make pretty good proposals, at least value wise in this section, so I think that allows me to throw one crazy trade out every now and then.

TO MONTREAL
Jordan Eberle
Devan Dubnyk

TO EDMONTON
Carey Price
habs be nuts to trade price. especially without a core player coming back, they should have learned this lesson in the roy trade? price is the only piece they have to build a cup winning team around.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:04 AM
I3ig13ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
habs be nuts to trade price. especially without a core player coming back, they should have learned this lesson in the roy trade? price is the only piece they have to build a cup winning team around.
you realize Jordan Eberle is in the proposal right?...

Last edited by TP: 01-20-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Removed bad emoticon
I3ig13ig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:11 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ig13ig View Post
you realize Jordan Eberle is in the proposal right?...
Eberle is kind of small offensive forward Montreal is trying to get away from. Tried this approach before it doesn't work against the bigger, tougher Bruins or Flyers type clubs. He is not close to equal value of a franchise goalie

Last edited by TP: 01-20-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Removed bad emoticon in quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
canadianeh

Trading Price is rediculous.

He's a Franchise Goalie who has had ZERO help this year. This team is not going to improve by trading away the few high quality players they have.

Get your head out of your ass fellow Habs fans.

Let's move some dead weight and misfits and build AROUND the young players.

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:40 AM
otto bond

I guess only Montreal's franchise goalie has less value or any players for that matter.
Eberle is a great player but not enough to land a Price. I can understand Oilers fans thinking otherwise.
To the OP, I say ask an NHL coach or GM about who they would pick and the real true would come out.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
I can accept much of what you said other than the bolded. The boyhood allegiance of a player is irrelevant in the scheme of things. Gretzky was a Leaf fan growing up but that didn't stop him from being the Great-one in Edmonton. If Avery claimed to be an Edmonton fan growing up would you trade for him?
The city of Edmonton isn't exactly the most glamorous or most exciting city in the league, so when a player is actually happy to play there, it's a blessing.

It just gives a human element to the trade, that's all

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Eberle is a dynamic, offensive player. He is young and skilled. He could grow into a true superstar.

Price is already a super star goalie. You do not trade a guy in nets who is already a franchise player for a small forward who has already shown he gets injured. He has played 2 seasons, and will not have a complete season in either. He is just too small to risk losing Price for. I like Eberle's potential, but not at the price of Price.

For people who don't realize, Price is the only real reason we have been remotely competitive. Did all of you "trade Price" fans know that the Habs have scored 1 goal or less in 11 of Price's 17 regulation time losses? Price is not the problem, the inability of this team to score is the problem. A 10% Power Play rating is the problem. You do NOT trade a stellar goalie who is the only reason you are competing at an NHL level for a smallish forward who has missed time with knee and ankle problems in his 1st two seasons.

As far as MPS and a 2nd for Plekanec goes, the offer is a joke. Plekanec is one of the best two-way forwards in the league, is on a favourable contract, and is a top shutdown player capable of putting up 60-70 points. Nice to see that an unproven, regressing prospect without a goal in 30 games and a 2nd is supposed to land him. MPS and your 1st for Plekanec is a possiblity if you want a proven veteran two way center with Plekanec's skill set, and MPS would be considered a throw in.

Paajarvi is similar to Cogliano in the way he is overvalued by Oiler fans.

So, neither trade brings the right kind of value to the Habs.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:22 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Is this a joke to it would have to be Price++++++++ to get RNH
This.

SaskOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:36 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Eberle is kind of small offensive forward Montreal is trying to get away from. Tried this approach before it doesn't work against the bigger, tougher Bruins or Flyers type clubs. He is not close to equal value of a franchise goalie
Are you really saying the Habs couldn't use a guy that was top 7 in scoring before he got hurt?

And to the proposal, thanks but no thanks. Price is good and all, but not "losing Eberle" good. Besides, doesn't he want Rinne money? Keep him.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

I wouldn't if i was MTL,

MTL doesn't need more small wingers

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:44 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I guess only Montreal's franchise goalie has less value or any players for that matter.
Eberle is a great player but not enough to land a Price. I can understand Oilers fans thinking otherwise.
To the OP, I say ask an NHL coach or GM about who they would pick and the real true would come out.
I'm sure a lot would say Price.

The reasoning for my trade is simple;

MTL has always lacked an elite PPG-type player. Eberle is that type of player. They could plug the hole Price left with Josh Harding or Al Montoya on the UFA market.

In more simple terms, Montreal takes a hit in net, but dramatically improves their offensive game.

Edmonton, even with the UFA market, doesn't have a chance at a Price like goalie. None of the goalies on the market are in Price's league. Edmonton also has a lot of young kids who are only getting better, so losing one of them to fill a key position might be ideal.

I'd consider moving Price for Edmonton's 1st and a guy like Gagner (at the draft) if their pick was in the Top-3, if that was more interesting. As much as it would suck losing an All-Star goalie, getting two Top-5 picks could be a huge key to rebuilding the Habs, plus adding a decent 3rd line option like Gagner to suit up with Eller & Kostitsyn. Although I'd only consider it - not sure I'd do it since there is no guarantee we could sign Harding or Montoya, which would leave us in huge trouble.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Jayball

Quote:
Not really.

Josh Harding
Al Montoya
Evgeni Nabokov
Tomas Vokoun
Mike Smith

Harding has had injury problems though. Nabokov, is well, Nabby.
Vokoun is nearing the end of his career, most likely. Smith is having a great year. Montoya is a beast.
Well u obviously know nothing about goaltending considering your option as a replacement for price. He was viewed last year as a close runner up to be nominated for the vezina trophy and by no means will any of those guys replace him. Say what u want about this year but the whole team is bad. I don't have the exact stats but some of his wins have been 2-1, two shut outs and rarely do they score more than two so they lose.

Jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Jayball

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
Trading Price is rediculous.

He's a Franchise Goalie who has had ZERO help this year. This team is not going to improve by trading away the few high quality players they have.

Get your head out of your ass fellow Habs fans.
Let's move some dead weight and misfits and build AROUND the young players.
Aah a habs fan with a brain. Thank you.

Jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:43 AM
jokerboysmith

I think the Hab that is likley on the outs is Subban.
He is what the Oilers need on there young roster, and would slot into the #1 defenceman position on the Oilers.

If Edmonton could live with Subbans antics and shinnanigans what would they give up? I assume Eberle, RNH, and Hall are untouchable.

Pitlick, MPS, Musil for Subban and a 2nd?

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
I'm sure a lot would say Price.

The reasoning for my trade is simple;

MTL has always lacked an elite PPG-type player. Eberle is that type of player. They could plug the hole Price left with Josh Harding or Al Montoya on the UFA market.

In more simple terms, Montreal takes a hit in net, but dramatically improves their offensive game.

Edmonton, even with the UFA market, doesn't have a chance at a Price like goalie. None of the goalies on the market are in Price's league. Edmonton also has a lot of young kids who are only getting better, so losing one of them to fill a key position might be ideal.

I'd consider moving Price for Edmonton's 1st and a guy like Gagner (at the draft) if their pick was in the Top-3, if that was more interesting. As much as it would suck losing an All-Star goalie, getting two Top-5 picks could be a huge key to rebuilding the Habs, plus adding a decent 3rd line option like Gagner to suit up with Eller & Kostitsyn. Although I'd only consider it - not sure I'd do it since there is no guarantee we could sign Harding or Montoya, which would leave us in huge trouble.
Eberle is too small and vulnerable, especially against teams like Philly and Boston. 2 seasons in and he has not been able to stay healthy for either one. If he were a big center, I would be far more interested, but a small winger for Price is an absolute "NO!".

You also point out why he would be so valuable to Edmonton while not realizing that is exactly why he is so valuable to Montreal! We can NOT find a goalie like him on the UFA market, nor is there one with his upside in the draft. We need Price to build around. Look at how many teams are actually looking for an elite goalie because they are learning you can not win with scoring forwards alone. I do not want to be the next Tampa Bay, having a 50 goal scorer but still losing because there is no goalie to stop the other team. Actually, most top teams have a combination of great goalie, defence and forwards (Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, Vancouver, as the top examples). We do NOT improve by getting rid of the franchise goalie for the small forward.

We are in rebuild mode. Period. As such, you build from the net out. We already have the biggest parts of a rebuild in place:1 franchise goalie, 1 potential franchise PMD, a very good young physical defenceman, a young developing top 6 power forward. Now we need to continue filling in our needs through this year and next year's drafts. We need to find a 6'+, 200 pound + center. We need to ensure Beaulieu and Tinordi develop properly. We need to bring Gallagher and Bournival along. We need to get Eller and Desharnais the top line duties to see if they are for real. We have a core of youngsters and we have some very good veterans signed for the next 3+ years to help them in Gorges, Bourque, Gionta, Markov, and Cole. We should, unfortunately and fortunately (if you get my meaning) have our own top 7 draft pick this year. So, we trade some key assets for the picks we feel we need and for some young guys. We should move Gill for a 2nd, Moen for a 2nd, Campoli for whatever we can get, Kaberle for a 2nd or more(or keep him), AK for a 1st (or keep him), and Plekanec for a 1st+. If we get very lucky, trade Gomez. If not, see how he plays until the end of this season and decide if we need the cap space or not and if we do, stick him in the minors. I know this looks like a fire sale, but those are the assets necessary to move in order to ensure a quick retool through the draft. It gets us picks and cap space. It allows for more flexibility in free agency, and would allow us to build a team (hopefully with a much better GM than Gauthier, may he be fired) that can grow together.

However, we do NOT trade the biggest piece of our rebuild, and that is Price. We sign him long term and get him some players who can score up front and who can clear the front of the net on defence. For crap's sake, he has lost 11 of his 17 losses this season by 1 goal or less!!! He is not to be traded for some tiny forward who will get killed by the Bruins.

I hope I have not insulted any Oiler fans. I like the Oilers and respect the team. I wish them success. I like their direction. However, they have had a number of high draft picks over the last few years, picking up amazing offensive talent, yet all that offensive firepower has not helped them win any more than our lack of firepower. As such, I want to keep the stud goalie and find my own forwards. I have had enough of small guys who get crunched and want other kinds of players to build with.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:52 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerboysmith View Post
I think the Hab that is likley on the outs is Subban.
He is what the Oilers need on there young roster, and would slot into the #1 defenceman position on the Oilers.

If Edmonton could live with Subbans antics and shinnanigans what would they give up? I assume Eberle, RNH, and Hall are untouchable.

Pitlick, MPS, Musil for Subban and a 2nd?
Something around Subban for Eberle we can talk. Habs aren't going to give up their core young players for a couple of complimentary players.

Old
01-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Eberle is too small and vulnerable, especially against teams like Philly and Boston. 2 seasons in and he has not been able to stay healthy for either one. If he were a big center, I would be far more interested, but a small winger for Price is an absolute "NO!".

You also point out why he would be so valuable to Edmonton while not realizing that is exactly why he is so valuable to Montreal! We can NOT find a goalie like him on the UFA market, nor is there one with his upside in the draft. We need Price to build around. Look at how many teams are actually looking for an elite goalie because they are learning you can not win with scoring forwards alone. I do not want to be the next Tampa Bay, having a 50 goal scorer but still losing because there is no goalie to stop the other team. Actually, most top teams have a combination of great goalie, defence and forwards (Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, Vancouver, as the top examples). We do NOT improve by getting rid of the franchise goalie for the small forward.

We are in rebuild mode. Period. As such, you build from the net out. We already have the biggest parts of a rebuild in place:1 franchise goalie, 1 potential franchise PMD, a very good young physical defenceman, a young developing top 6 power forward. Now we need to continue filling in our needs through this year and next year's drafts. We need to find a 6'+, 200 pound + center. We need to ensure Beaulieu and Tinordi develop properly. We need to bring Gallagher and Bournival along. We need to get Eller and Desharnais the top line duties to see if they are for real. We have a core of youngsters and we have some very good veterans signed for the next 3+ years to help them in Gorges, Bourque, Gionta, Markov, and Cole. We should, unfortunately and fortunately (if you get my meaning) have our own top 7 draft pick this year. So, we trade some key assets for the picks we feel we need and for some young guys. We should move Gill for a 2nd, Moen for a 2nd, Campoli for whatever we can get, Kaberle for a 2nd or more(or keep him), AK for a 1st (or keep him), and Plekanec for a 1st+. If we get very lucky, trade Gomez. If not, see how he plays until the end of this season and decide if we need the cap space or not and if we do, stick him in the minors. I know this looks like a fire sale, but those are the assets necessary to move in order to ensure a quick retool through the draft. It gets us picks and cap space. It allows for more flexibility in free agency, and would allow us to build a team (hopefully with a much better GM than Gauthier, may he be fired) that can grow together.

However, we do NOT trade the biggest piece of our rebuild, and that is Price. We sign him long term and get him some players who can score up front and who can clear the front of the net on defence. For crap's sake, he has lost 11 of his 17 losses this season by 1 goal or less!!! He is not to be traded for some tiny forward who will get killed by the Bruins.

I hope I have not insulted any Oiler fans. I like the Oilers and respect the team. I wish them success. I like their direction. However, they have had a number of high draft picks over the last few years, picking up amazing offensive talent, yet all that offensive firepower has not helped them win any more than our lack of firepower. As such, I want to keep the stud goalie and find my own forwards. I have had enough of small guys who get crunched and want other kinds of players to build with.
I think Al Montoya is a good enough to goalie that's worth trading a guy a level or two higher to get that PPG player. Edmonton has PPG players to spare (I believe Gagner would be close to a PPG guy with Hall/Nuge on his line), MTL has none. Eberle would instantly be the best offensive player on the team.

And don't feed me stuff like Al Montoya isn't a good goaltender because he is. Is he as good as Price? Probably not. Is he a good starter in this league? Damn right he is.

Besides one season, Montreal has always had trouble scoring. As far as I'm concerned, that's the biggest need they to fill. Goaltending, for some odd reason, has always found a way to work in Montreal. I have no doubt that an Al Montoya could come in and put up respectable numbers (at the very least, similar to Price's numbers this season), while we would probably score 30-40 more goals.

Bourque - Plekanec - Eberle
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Kostitsyn - Eller - Gionta
White - XXX (Konopka?) - Blunden

Markov - XXX (I would throw a bucketload of cash at Dennis Wideman)
Gorges - Subban
Kaberle - Emelin
Diaz

Montoya
Budaj

Looks a lot better to me than the alternative.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:20 AM
neofury*

Edmonton passes and drafts Malcolm Subban instead with their 2nd. Montreal passes and trades a guy like Plekanec instead, tanks and gets Grigorenko.

Value imo is far off because not only is Eberle not a big center, Price is our franchise goalie and we have nobody to replace him. Montoya is a laughable option. He's unproven. Voukon is old, Nabby is a choker, the list goes on. I'd rather the young Price with top 5 in the league potential.

Takes nothing away from Eberle but as a player the only need he fits is being a PPG player. We can probably get a UFA to do that and I don't doubt under our defensive system Eberle would be a 60-70pt guy rather than 80+. When you're giving up something you don't already have a replacement for, it's a bad deal imo. If it were a big center I'd at least say we lost an elite goalie but we got that big center we always needed. It makes it a lateral move, but one which could have horrendous results.

Montoya could be another Jim Carey and you're willing to replace Price with him?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Edmonton passes and drafts Malcolm Subban instead with their 2nd. Montreal passes and trades a guy like Plekanec instead, tanks and gets Grigorenko.

Value imo is far off because not only is Eberle not a big center, Price is our franchise goalie and we have nobody to replace him. Montoya is a laughable option. He's unproven. Voukon is old, Nabby is a choker, the list goes on. I'd rather the young Price with top 5 in the league potential.

Takes nothing away from Eberle but as a player the only need he fits is being a PPG player. We can probably get a UFA to do that and I don't doubt under our defensive system Eberle would be a 60-70pt guy rather than 80+. When you're giving up something you don't already have a replacement for, it's a bad deal imo. If it were a big center I'd at least say we lost an elite goalie but we got that big center we always needed. It makes it a lateral move, but one which could have horrendous results.

Montoya could be another Jim Carey and you're willing to replace Price with him?
To each their own. I stand by my stance and I'm sure you stand by yours.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Slashers98

Forget about Price being traded! But Oilers need a top defenseman and the Habs would certainly discuss an Eberle-Subban kind of deal!

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote