HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ted Black changing his tune?

Old
01-19-2012, 11:53 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

vCash: 500
Just listened to the whole thing. Is it normal to start crying?

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
Yeah watching that show makes me want him, Callahan, Hartnell, and Simmonds to be Sabres right now. Giroux too obviously, but he'd be alot harder to get then the others.

Seriously though I can't remember the whole situation, but in one of the first two episodes Simmonds either fought a guy or got in some altercation with him, and while in the box the two of them were yapping back and forth about going at it when their penalties were over. As soon as they both got out of the box they both dropped the gloves and started throwing punches. I just don't see a Sabres doing something like that. Hartnell is always getting his nose dirty, and is always involved in scrums and in the face of over teams. I hate playing against him, but would love him on the Sabres.

I'll take Rupp over Brad Boyes in the bottom six everyday of the week. In the last episode Kopecky sucker punched Del Zotto in front of the Rags net and Rupp didn't wait for Kopecky to agree to fight him, he just started throwing punches while Kopecky turtled. Sabres need more guys like that.
too bad lindy has it instilled in his team that physicality isn't useful unless you get the puck and that getting the PP is always better than taking momentum away from the other team... this team is softer than the pillsbury dough boy.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:55 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Um, yeah. It's been hard to watch the last 6 seasons without thinking that.
I believe you mean 4 in a half seasons, because 5 and 6 seasons ago we were making runs to the ECF.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:13 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Sabres are a Mickey Mouse organization with Walt Disney's checkbook.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Friends and I have discussed that they want to be a well-monied Mom & Pop operation. I think that's a pretty accurate depiction.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:21 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Yet after the entire interview and 4+ pages of posts, I still don't know what to make of it. Is he saying that "this is our system, if players can't buy into it, they will go, not Ruff?"

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:24 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
I believe you mean 4 in a half seasons, because 5 and 6 seasons ago we were making runs to the ECF.
Not really.

Team still played lackluster for a majority of that 06-07 season. I can't tell you how many games we played a solid 15 minutes per game and still pulled out wins.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:29 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

What has Ruff done to warrant not only his tenure but the hesitance of management to replace him?

Old
01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
What has Ruff done to warrant not only his tenure but the hesitance of management to replace him?
I still think Pegula has wet feet because of all of the "knowledgeable hockey people" he talked to prior to committing to Ruff 11 months ago. They made it sound as though he is the greatest coach in the league and blah blah blah. Because he was told that and because he is new at this he still feels as though he needs to trust the people he talked to.

That's really all I can come up with.

What do I know? I'm just a season ticket holder who has seen the same team perform the same way since the lockout. I've probably left that arena more times upset than happy and yes that includes after some wins. I just think its time for a new voice and a new set of eyes to take over this organization.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Not really.

Team still played lackluster for a majority of that 06-07 season. I can't tell you how many games we played a solid 15 minutes per game and still pulled out wins.
Yup, I was including '06-'07 and this season, so the last 6 (technically it's only been 5 and a half).

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Regarding Lindy Ruff's job security (yet again). I think that the fans and owners owe it to him to bring him back again next year but on a short leash. He's done SO MUCH for that organization and it would be a sin to abandon him after one very disapointing season that this time, may be his fault (or at least a percentage of it).

These are tough times, but your don't kick your kid out of the house because he/she got hooked on heroin do you? Stick with him...

As for Sweaty Teddy Black, this is his first time as a team president and I think he's learning that all the optimism, confidence, and money in the world wont change a thing. You need to make good (as in a lot better than Leino) decissions, and the on ice product is and will always be THE #1 means of acheiveing your goal. If it's a Cup winner you can have them dress in cardboard boxes, they wont mind. Priorities, I think he's got that now.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Throw his jersey up in the rafters, and kick him upstairs. Problem solved.

Old
01-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Regarding Lindy Ruff's job security (yet again). I think that the fans and owners owe it to him to bring him back again next year but on a short leash. He's done SO MUCH for that organization and it would be a sin to abandon him after one very disapointing season that this time, may be his fault (or at least a percentage of it).

These are tough times, but your don't kick your kid out of the house because he/she got hooked on heroin do you? Stick with him...

As for Sweaty Teddy Black, this is his first time as a team president and I think he's learning that all the optimism, confidence, and money in the world wont change a thing. You need to make good (as in a lot better than Leino) decissions, and the on ice product is and will always be THE #1 means of acheiveing your goal. If it's a Cup winner you can have them dress in cardboard boxes, they wont mind. Priorities, I think he's got that now.
Such as?

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Better Call Saul

So Ruff is still safe? I guess $3 billion can't buy common sense.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Dude is really good at folding his arms. Seriously.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Lindy Ruff doesn't believe in those kind of qualities/attitudes/character
This is wrong. Ruff loves his high character players. mccormick, ellis, gaustad, kaleta, neids, grier, mair. Even a guy like hecht who gets ample minutes.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post

I have three questions for you:

1.) Why do the fans and owner owe Ruff anything? He's just a coach. Right now he isn't getting the job done and that's what matters.

2.) Why does every single post you make have to involve Leino? He hasn't performed, but he's a secondary player that will look terrible when the primary players aren't performing. You make it sound like he is the cause of all our problems, which is far from the truth.

3.) If Ruff is fired by the Sabres and hired by another team, will you follow them instead?

Last edited by jfb392: 01-19-2012 at 01:00 PM.
jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
This is wrong. Ruff loves his high character players. mccormick, ellis, gaustad, kaleta, neids, grier, mair. Even a guy like hecht who gets ample minutes.
None of those players (except maybe McCormick) play the same style to who they were talking about.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:57 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Dude is really good at folding his arms. Seriously.
Don't mock me. I called it then, and it continued for four seasons!!

Clock gave me **** for that one particularly. When I was telling Lindy to look like he cares a bit and show some passion instead of sitting there arms folded.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Yet after the entire interview and 4+ pages of posts, I still don't know what to make of it. Is he saying that "this is our system, if players can't buy into it, they will go, not Ruff?"
That's what it sounds like, yes. I haven't heard the interview, though, so I'm just making this assumption from the quotes and responses.

Its unfortunate if that's the case. I think it'd be a much quicker rebuild with a few trades, and firing ruff.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:56 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Don't mock me. I called it then, and it continued for four seasons!!

Clock gave me **** for that one particularly. When I was telling Lindy to look like he cares a bit and show some passion instead of sitting there arms folded.
I wasn't mocking you I swear.

Come over here and give me a hug.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
This is where Sawyer needs to be putting a bug in Terry's ear about making a move behind the bench. Granted, he (Sawyer) also has to know the benefits and perils of the tank-style rebuild, having gone through that with the Pens.

01-19-2012, 02:13 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
This is where Sawyer needs to be putting a bug in Terry's ear about making a move behind the bench. Granted, he (Sawyer) also has to know the benefits and perils of the tank-style rebuild, having gone through that with the Pens.
Speaking of Sawyer, IMHO there was some pretty big news revealed on Ted's show this morning. It was subtle and open to interpretation, but clear to me.

Howard asked Ted if it's routine for Ken to travel with the team. Ted said Ken's son lives in Winnipeg, so he planned to be on the trip "anyway." "Anyway" is a dead giveaway to me that there's another reason Ken's on the trip.

Anybody's guess, but I think there's a high-level evaluation, of Lindy especially, going on. This makes me hopeful.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:14 PM
slip

Quote:
Yeah, that's what Gretzky said about the Devils, right before they became a perennial powerhouse. We should be so lucky.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:16 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Speaking of Sawyer, IMHO there was some pretty big news revealed on Ted's show this morning. It was subtle and open to interpretation, but clear to me.

Howard asked Ted if it's routine for Ken to travel with the team. Ted said Ken's son lives in Winnipeg, so he planned to be on the trip "anyway." "Anyway" is a dead giveaway to me that there's another reason Ken's on the trip.

Anybody's guess, but I think there's a high-level evaluation, of Lindy especially, going on. This makes me hopeful.
Honest question: Are you a lawyer or in politics? Because I've never seen anyone read into statements to pull something else out of it as much as you do.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote