HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella

View Poll Results: Torts Job Approval Rating
Approve 83 92.22%
Disapprove 1 1.11%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

vCash: 500
John Tortorella

At this point does anyone not support the guy? Just came up in another thread and I was curious if there were any "torts the clown" people still out there, and if so why.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
clmetsfan

Yesterday's press conference only intensified my love for Torts.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:23 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
I approve. However, he needs to stop putting 4th line players on the top two lines just for lulz.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Went unsure, because in true Torts fashion we are only 44 games in.

I was a big Torts detractor when he came here, I wanted Lavs for this team. This season it looks like Torts is outcoaching Lavs for sure, but I'd like to see some NY playoff success before we give him the all-time greatest coach in NY history banner.

Some of the love he gets is unfounded, while some of the hate he gets is also unfounded. I still have a few problems with Torts including his ego towards the media, though that has been more rare this season. His preached accountability at some points seems to fall by the wayside when the microscope is put on him.

He may prove to be a good fit for this team right now, but there is limited success in his Rangers history, and we're only 44 games in here. While most of the reason that the Rangers are at the top is in goal. So maybe this should be a Benny Allaire poll instead?

Let's see what the next 38, and hopefully more, games tells us about Torts as a coach for this franchise.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

He's improved in his in-game decision making and theres no question he's got the pulse of this team, and he has the ear and the respect of everyone on the team.

My one complaint is that he didn't give Richards and Gaborik a chance. The Stepan-Richards-Gaborik line actually showed flashes of brilliance in their brief time together. I don't like how he had already made up his mind after barely seeing them together and refuses to try it again. Separating them certainly gives the lineup balance, but I'd still like to see Stepan-Richards-Gaborik and Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan given another look.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Went unsure, because in true Torts fashion we are only 44 games in.

I was a big Torts detractor when he came here, I wanted Lavs for this team. This season it looks like Torts is outcoaching Lavs for sure, but I'd like to see some NY playoff success before we give him the all-time greatest coach in NY history banner.

Some of the love he gets is unfounded, while some of the hate he gets is also unfounded. I still have a few problems with Torts including his ego towards the media, though that has been more rare this season. His preached accountability at some points seems to fall by the wayside when the microscope is put on him.

He may prove to be a good fit for this team right now, but there is limited success in his Rangers history, and we're only 44 games in here. While most of the reason that the Rangers are at the top is in goal. So maybe this should be a Benny Allaire poll instead?

Let's see what the next 38, and hopefully more, games tells us about Torts as a coach for this franchise.
LMAO.

Benoit Allaire has been our goaltending coach since July of 2004.

Lundqvist is posting career numbers this year, across the board. You think Allaire is teaching him something different this year than he has in his previous 6 seasons?

It's obvious that it is Torts' system - and the players 100% buying into the system - that is a direct result of the goals against. Not fully, obviously Hank and Marty have been there to bail the Rangers out in quite a few games, but this team's defensive structure as a whole is MUCH improved over past years and a credit to Torts and his staff. This team busts their butt for him.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:41 AM
NYROrtsFan

Have always thought Torts is an excellent coach and have said so even when it wasn't so obvious...

We had a solid coach in Renney, and got an even better coach in Torts. Hopefully we win a cup and he can stay here for a long time. I do not at all subscribe to the Devils trend of just firing guys the instant things go bad. No need to do that and it's a stupid trend. Once you get a head coach capable of winning a cup you just keep the guy until you see consistent losing.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:45 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Torts is great. I know some people were sour on him for his first couple years, but I think this year even those who didn't like him before are really warming up to him. I guess winning and being on 24/7 will do that.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Poozer

Outside of the team's performance, Torts on 24/7 really boosted my opinion of him as a person and gave me some good insights as to how he goes about coaching. From a hockey standpoint, that was the best part of 24/7 for me.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
At this point does anyone not support the guy? Just came up in another thread and I was curious if there were any "torts the clown" people still out there, and if so why.
Scotty Hockey is definitely a disapprove guy. But I am not sure if he is on HFBoards. Guy would complain about which order the players lifted the Cup if we won.

http://scottyhockey.blogspot.com/

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:16 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

He's done so many good things for this team that I think it's nearly impossible to disprove he is a great coach for this team. He's turned players who were let go by other organizations and made them into players on this team, mainly Boyle and Prust, partially Feds. Every season, youth is being injected into the line-up and more is on the way. He's also a very good teacher for these younger players. Props goes to Gernander in Hartford, but Torts is getting a lot out of guys that are under 25 and some have never been in Hartford.

Any coach that gets more out of the sum of his parts than what the result should be is a good coach, hands down. I also find he is forgiving to his players when they make mistakes. He comes back to them after their failures and they perform for him. He does preach accountability and he follows what he says. Think about the last couple of games. He put John Mitchell with Gaborik and Stepan because Anisimov is not performing. How does Mitchell reward his decision? Scoring goals in consecutive games. It's also not going to mean Anisimov is going to not get a chance to play with the top 6 again, but he'll have to earn it, same went with Dubi.

That's why I think he's a great coach. The players love him, he tells it like it is, and never lets media sway his mind.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:34 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I've been an outspoken critic since day one. I'm certainly warming to him.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
MSG the place to be*

Criticisms
Avery debacle
Shootout choices

Thats the list.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Criticisms
Avery debacle
Shootout choices

Thats the list.
How about deciding he didn't like Richards and Gaborik together from day one, even though they showed flashes of brilliance together in the brief time they played together, which was also when the entire team looked like total crap in and shortly after Europe.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:19 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Pros

Fixing Del Zotto
Positive development of numerous other young players
Reliance on high IQ players such as Callahan and Hagelin
Team chemistry and work ethic
Strong team defensive concept
Improved line management in 11-12 season
Ability to utilize/revitalize role players and cast-offs

Cons

Mishandling of Drury
Mishandling of Avery
Inability to make the most of a potentially useful asset in Zherdev
Poor line management prior to 11-12 season
Not giving Richards and Gaborik a longer period of time to achieve chemistry
Penchant for over reliance on role players
Continued struggles on the PP (still not enough talent, but they should be doing more with what they have)

Overall, not too thrilled with his performance prior to this season, but he has improved and adapted. He wasn't a great fit for the team as it was constructed before, and if they hadn't made the jump to playoff contention, he still wouldn't be. He's a good fit for the team where it is right now, however. I'm satisfied.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:21 AM
ruckus*

There are plenty of things to criticize this head coach for, but that doesn't change regardless of who you bring in. There will always be criticisms to make. This season there is no one who can argue with the results, and they are all that matters.

Now, if this team gets upset in the first round, his tenure here has been below average and a disappointment. Right now his resume as Rangers head coach says: Blew 3-1 series lead against Washington while getting himself thrown out for a clinching home game, missing the post season for the first time since before the lockout for the organization, and needing a Tampa team that had nothing to play for on the last day of the season to go on the road and beat a team playing for their playoff lives in order to get his team in the playoffs last season.

That's not a very impressive resume.

This season, there is no debating the results. Still a long, long way to go though.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:24 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post

Lundqvist is posting career numbers this year, across the board. You think Allaire is teaching him something different this year than he has in his previous 6 seasons?

Um. Yes?

They have been working the last two years or so on his (few) weaknesses. High shots glove side, bad-angle-hug-the-post slip-ins,etc.

Notice how those types of bag goals happen far less frequently now?

These days to beat Lundqvist, it has to be either a perfect snipe or a ping-pong through traffic. Aside from that, he's stopping it.

The Lundqvist of 2012 is far better than the one of 2010, and yes, Allaire gets some of that credit.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:37 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
LMAO.

Benoit Allaire has been our goaltending coach since July of 2004.

It's obvious that it is Torts' system - and the players 100% buying into the system - that is a direct result of the goals against. Not fully, obviously Hank and Marty have been there to bail the Rangers out in quite a few games, but this team's defensive structure as a whole is MUCH improved over past years and a credit to Torts and his staff. This team busts their butt for him.
You mean the exact same system that everyone on here loathed when Renney implemented it?

The difference is the influx of young talent onto this roster. That's the biggest different since Torts took over.

Unfortunately those players being drafted or acquired Torts had nothing to do with.

So the biggest reason for his success is not even something anyone can credit him for.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:38 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Yesterday's press conference only intensified my love for Torts.
Likewise.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
There is zero doubt in my mind that he is the man that should be running this team. At times some decisions irked me, the biggest of which was him giving Olli Jokinen the responsibility to save our season in the shootout against Philly, in which he failed miserably, but truth be told he has always made this team greater than the sum of its parts. Before this season, he was told to compete with a team with a lot of growing pains. Overall I applaud Torts, especially this year.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:43 AM
OverTheCap

One thing I've been impressed with is how the new defensemen and players from the AHL have transitioned seamlessly onto the team. That's a testament to Torts' system and commitment to defense. The team has been able to be aggressive on the forecheck without sacrificing much defensively.

As for Benoit Allaire, it's tough to tell how much credit to give to him. But I do know that Lundqvist's improvement with his glove the past few years has little to do with him and a lot to do with the fact that Lundqvist changed his glove two seasons ago:

Quote:
In Lundqvist’s first seasons with the Rangers, he used a glove that was deliberately so stiff he could not close it around the puck, think of it as a jai alai catcher. Or another blocker.

“It was like a double blocker,” Lundqvist said. “I could catch some pucks but mostly I used it like a blocker.”

Lundqvist switched to a softer, more flexible glove two seasons ago. Now, the thought of using a stiff glove seems odd to him.

“When I pick up that glove now, it amazes me. It’s really stiff,” Lundqvist said.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ogress_so_far/

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
You mean the exact same system that everyone on here loathed when Renney implemented it?

The difference is the influx of young talent onto this roster. That's the biggest different since Torts took over.

Unfortunately those players being drafted or acquired Torts had nothing to do with.

So the biggest reason for his success is not even something anyone can credit him for.
Im with you here. Safe is death is a thing of the past. Tortorella's system is predicated on strong team defense and goaltending. The only difference regarding systems with him and Renney is Torts' team gets a little more aggressive on the forecheck, but thats only because he has a bit more talent to work with. The teams at the end of Renney's tenure, and the beginning of Torts' were god-awful in terms of talent.

Where Torts does deserve credit over Renney is his motivational impact, especially lately. These guys are willing to go through a brick wall every night for their team, and its lovely to see as a fan.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:52 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Criticisms
Avery debacle
Shootout choices

Thats the list.
All of which are insignificant

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Dorado*

Let's not make this "clown "'out to be Scotty Bowman and start s ing his D just yet . To use his own logic , he's only as good as his last game . Outside the Stanley cup team Torts has had a pretty poor play off record as a coach . Several missed play offs , one cup one 2nd round appearance and the rest out in first round . The NYR season is just beginning , once again to use Torts logic and nothing is in the barn yet . The teams emergence is as much about the players is it is about "'TORTS "
.The NYR def pay more attention to detail more consistently on defense and this is leading to wins . Lundqvist play is probably the biggest factor and I'd like to think between him and the test if the plAyers most any big leaque coach would win . The reason i say this is most any big league coach would evaluat this group and realize a defensive system is the only way the team as built can compete in the cap era NHL . Any coach that tried to play a European puck possession style ala Red Wings or try and trade chances ala Washington would not keep his job in NY very ling because the team would be losing big .
Torts has done a good job don't get me wrong but unless the team gets at least to a conference final or Actually wins it all according to Torts logic nothing has been accomPlished and therefore is just "'BS " to use his own words

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

56 to 0 to 1?

Wow, I am the clear minority on HF these days

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote