HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Timeout - Should Buffalo Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff be fired?

Old
01-20-2012, 09:20 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
He's certainly a good coach. And will have many teams asking for his services, but 15 years in one city is too much if you don't have an amazing track record to back it up.

Yes, he's been good, but not amazing. The last 4 years have included 2 playoff misses and 2 disappointing first round exits. That's more than enough to move on, before we even get to the massive flame out that this year has become/is becoming

01-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Those were my concerns before the season started, that roster isn't capable of playing good enough to be a threat when injurys happen. And IMHO their overall depth down the middle is lacking, which is the biggest problem if you're trying to build a winner in the NHL.

And FTR I actually like the Sabres, so I wish them all the best in the future.
Yep, they've had a big gap in the middle now, shown first by their loss to the Bruins 2.5 years ago in the playoffs and never addressed. That's on Regier as he's come up short repeatedly in trying to address that void. It was rumored they wanted Da Costa and Miele, couldn't close the deal. They wanted Sheahan and Jarnkrok in the draft, and didn't get either. He missed the boat on Turris and outside of seemingly putting all his eggs in the Richards basket and then not making a bid... there is no plan there. He needs to go too.

And the injury thing has gotten to comic stages. They're back up to 7 on the IR -- Regehr, Ehrhoff, McNabb from the defense and Ennis, Gaustad, Kaleta, Stuart up front. Not the most they've had, just painfully amusing at this point.

01-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yep, they've had a big gap in the middle now, shown first by their loss to the Bruins 2.5 years ago in the playoffs and never addressed. That's on Regier as he's come up short repeatedly in trying to address that void. It was rumored they wanted Da Costa and Miele, couldn't close the deal. They wanted Sheahan and Jarnkrok in the draft, and didn't get either. He missed the boat on Turris and outside of seemingly putting all his eggs in the Richards basket and then not making a bid... there is no plan there. He needs to go too.

And the injury thing has gotten to comic stages. They're back up to 7 on the IR -- Regehr, Ehrhoff, McNabb from the defense and Ennis, Gaustad, Kaleta, Stuart up front. Not the most they've had, just painfully amusing at this point.
Sadly being an Avs fan I know how frustrating injurys can be.

And yes, Regier needs to go, his inabillity to improve his team altough the fact that he had a budget team in the past might give him some leeway, but that's no excuse for his draft record (I'm not saying they drafted porely, but they could've done better, especially on the center position) is obvious and it can't and shouldn't be tolerated IMHO.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

The problem with talking about injuries is that only 2 of the players listed there are real impact players (Regehr and Ehrhoff).

McNabb and Stuart wouldn't be in the NHL right now normally. Guastad is a decent 3rd liner, Kaleta is a 4th line energy guy. Ennis is also still a 3rd line guy at this point (although potential to be a solid 2nd liner)

Yes, those injuries certainly do have an effect on the team (by way of having worse replacements in there), but the theoretical top of the lineup has been fairly consistent. Pominville, Vanek, Stafford and Roy have played basically the entire season (missed 3 games combined).

The team seemed to have it's confidence shattered by the Lucic incident and just doesn't have the ability to recover. It's gone from a not so good slump (6-6-3 in 15 games after the incident) to downright train wreck (3-11-2 in the last 16 games and a team that looks like there's zero effort in at least the last 4).

That's on the coach and the GM. The GM for not getting players who have the ability to inspire their teammates and the coach for not being able to even get his players to look like they're trying.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quick - have Ruff and Babcock change teams. Then Ruff will be a good coach again.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Nikita Filatov

I'd happily take him in Columbus.

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:15 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

I think if Ruff is let go he'll take a year off. I mentioned on the Sabres' board that he doesn't seem to have the same fire he's had in years past. I think he needs some time away from the bench before he takes another coaching job.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:27 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

As a fan of another team, would you rather have Derek Roy, Drew Stafford, Ville Leino, or Jochen Hecht in your top 6 forwards or Lindy Ruff coaching your team?

I guess there should be a neither option, which what i choose.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:31 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
As a fan of another team, would you rather have Derek Roy, Drew Stafford, Ville Leino, or Jochen Hecht in your top 6 forwards or Lindy Ruff coaching your team?

I guess there should be a neither option, which what i choose.
IMO, the combination of the two makes it exponentially worse.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I'm not as attached to Ruff as some Sabre fans, but I honestly think he's doing a good job and I would keep him around for one more season. But on a very short leash, I'd have his replacement lined up and ready to step in.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:42 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I still don't know how he's been there for so long with only 1 SCF appearance to his credit

he should have been fired years ago

the city of mediocrity

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:31 PM
sharks9

Yes he should be fired. Also, how good is his French?

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
ed bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I still don't know how he's been there for so long with only 1 SCF appearance to his credit

he should have been fired years ago

the city of mediocrity
I agree, I'm not a Sabres fan and not trying to troll, but how has he been coaching the Sabres so long with only one Stanley Cup appearance? The Sabres just seem like they always mediocre since I started watching hockey in the mid 90s

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Rdahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
If this was two years ago, I'd say yes. Now I just laugh, what a joke of a team/organization.
A joke of an organization like the blackhawks were for basically 15 years?

Rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Wait till end of the season and get another GM too.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:34 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed bruin View Post
I agree, I'm not a Sabres fan and not trying to troll, but how has he been coaching the Sabres so long with only one Stanley Cup appearance? The Sabres just seem like they always mediocre since I started watching hockey in the mid 90s
He's been in the organization a long time. Drafted by Buffalo in '79, played for the Sabres until '89, then started coaching the Sabres in '97. In a way, he probably benefited the most from all of the ownership changes that happened in Buffalo. In all of the tumult, he (and Regier) were some of the only consistent elements to the team during those years, and with ownership groups concerned more about the bottom line than the competitiveness of the team, sometimes that kind of continuity makes sense.

I think the winds of change are blowing in Buffalo now, however, and even if it doesn't happen at the end of this season (which I think it should), I think the writing's on the wall at this point.

As far as the team being mediocre, yes and no. Hasek brought us to the finals in '99, made it to the ECF two years in a row following the lockout. We definitely haven't been a consistent playoff performer over the last 5 years, however.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:55 PM
senrab

Send a message via AIM to senrab Send a message via Yahoo to senrab
yes.

senrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:56 PM
senrab

Send a message via AIM to senrab Send a message via Yahoo to senrab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Yes he should be fired. Also, how good is his French?
I C wut you did there I don't think he speaks a word of it.

senrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

It's not his fault his GM overspent for Leino who thought one decent season and a great playoffs at 27 meant he was a beast.

Though, it's not Leino's fault the team is doing bad. It's a collection of little things that adds into being where they're at.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:21 PM
ponder

To Toronto: Lindy Ruff
To Buffalo: "hahahahahahaha you fired a great coach! Now he's ours!!!"

At least, that's how it works in my dreams.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
Lindy Ruff should not get fired before the GM in my opinionit is very similar to Vancouver a few years ago, no good players to play with lack of number 2 center......I think the GM should be axe because he has done nothing to address Buffalo lack of a centerman.....like Dave Nonis he never got that center for nashlund.....very similar situation I think.
Buffalo need a center for Vanek right?

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:56 PM
TOML

Sooner or later Buffalo will push the panic button and when that happens opposing teams will be waiting to scoop up the victims.

What a huge backfire this season has been. Just like Columbus. Just because you spend money doesn't mean you'll get success. Er, unless you're NYR, who's been spending bazillions for their farm team and has that not affect their NHL cap. Gotta love the lockout season. Cheers.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote