HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3 Stars and GBR: #45 @ Pittsburgh

Old
01-20-2012, 08:58 AM
JimmyStart*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
POTG-Hagelin is going to be a good player.
Good-Dubinsky looked like he wanted the puck tonight.
Bad-Torts can't compete with Bylsma. He gets outcoached everytime. Pitts. left forwards high to keep out d-men from pinching, knew where our outlet passes were going. This is what happens when you play the same game every night. *hint hint*
Redden-Richards is lost. Gaborik the last few games is playing like last year. He needs to watch video of his play from last year
What happens? Oo oo I know you go 2 for 5 after being 8-2 or 9-1 for months...great I'll take it! Wait you're actually complaining?

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
I've said it before, I'll say it again, this team, and especially Richards, really needs Left Wing help.
See this has me concerned. Why is it every big FA that comes here always has the same story? Gaborik needs skill guys to play with. Gomez needs a sniper to play with. Richards was brought here to make other guys better.

01-20-2012, 09:05 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger
Matt Cook delivered a dangerous hit on Brad Richards last night. Need to see it again. Looks like slewfoot.
A penguin slewfooting?? I don't believe it.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Richards was brought here to make other guys better.
Guys like Prust?

Old
01-20-2012, 09:09 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Guys like Prust?
Not sure what this is supposed to mean.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
See this has me concerned. Why is it every big FA that comes here always has the same story? Gaborik needs skill guys to play with. Gomez needs a sniper to play with. Richards was brought here to make other guys better.
I don't know if my first post went through so I apologize if this is a double post, but the problem is that even though we've spent the money on them there is an obvious gap of talent in the top 6.

Like TBG says, we shouldn't even HAVE the opportunity to put Brandon Prust or John Mitchell with Richards. He's a huge reason Cally is on pace for 60 points, so I don't know where this "he's not making guys better" comes from. He's in a bad slump right now, but that's because he's playing with guys for the first time in his career who aren't even close in offensive talent to the guys he's usually played with.

And Gabby is on pace for 40 goals. For all the love Stepan gets because he's younger than 24 and a homegrown guy, a large part of his success is because of Gaborik even though people like to act as if Steps is the best thing to ever grace Gabby's career and he's a product of his immaculate passing.

Hagelin is not a long term solution for top 6 LWer, Anisimov wasn't (should be the third line center WITH Hagelin if we had an actual top 6 LWer, in fact.)

Our defense and goaltending is fantastic, but our offense as constructed is going to struggle. We have one definite 30 goal scorer in Gaborik in our top 6, ONE. And our other possible one, Cally, is due in large part to Brad, the guy who is apparently not helping anybody according to everybody on these forums over the past 2 weeks.

Not to mention our elite playmaker has had to become a scorer to make up for the lack of guys who can put the puck in the net meanwhile he's not really suited to do that. Something needs to happen, with either Kreider panning out or making a move.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Not sure what this is supposed to mean.
Yes you do, you just don't know how to answer it.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Yes you do, you just don't know how to answer it.
Oh...thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-20-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old
01-20-2012, 09:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I agree. Why is it that everyone needs help? Richards and Gaborik do not need anyone's help. People go from creating offense on other teams to needing help on this one.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't know if my first post went through so I apologize if this is a double post, but the problem is that even though we've spent the money on them there is an obvious gap of talent in the top 6.

Like TBG says, we shouldn't even HAVE the opportunity to put Brandon Prust or John Mitchell with Richards. He's a huge reason Cally is on pace for 60 points, so I don't know where this "he's not making guys better" comes from. He's in a bad slump right now, but that's because he's playing with guys for the first time in his career who aren't even close in offensive talent to the guys he's usually played with.

And Gabby is on pace for 40 goals. For all the love Stepan gets because he's younger than 24 and a homegrown guy, a large part of his success is because of Gaborik even though people like to act as if Steps is the best thing to ever grace Gabby's career and he's a product of his immaculate passing.

Hagelin is not a long term solution for top 6 LWer, Anisimov wasn't (should be the third line center WITH Hagelin if we had an actual top 6 LWer, in fact.)

Our defense and goaltending is fantastic, but our offense as constructed is going to struggle. We have one definite 30 goal scorer in Gaborik in our top 6, ONE. And our other possible one, Cally, is due in large part to Brad, the guy who is apparently not helping anybody according to everybody on these forums over the past 2 weeks.

Not to mention our elite playmaker has had to become a scorer to make up for the lack of guys who can put the puck in the net meanwhile he's not really suited to do that. Something needs to happen, with either Kreider panning out or making a move.

Some fair points. Again, I think a lot of flaws would be covered up if Anisimov and Dubinsky were producing on a more consistent basis.

For whatever reasons, Torts feels the way to get Richards going is to play him with grinders.

Old
01-20-2012, 10:11 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Some fair points. Again, I think a lot of flaws would be covered up if Anisimov and Dubinsky were producing on a more consistent basis.

For whatever reasons, Torts feels the way to get Richards going is to play him with grinders.
I agree, but even then we're still down what should be an impact performer.

Dubinsky-Stepan-Gaborik
X-Richards-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-Feds
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Really, anyway you set up the lines there's going to be a top 6 LWer who's not actually a top 6 LWer (Arty, Feds, Johnny Malkin ()) The slump is in part because of the players themselves, I agree with you there, and Richards hasn't looked very good at all. Gabby's looked fine when it comes to every aspect except goal scoring, but he'll probably go on a tear soon enough. But the fact that they're slumping personally just further exacerbates the fact that our offense as constructed leaves a lot to be desired, not because the guys we got suck but because we just aren't built to be a powerhouse offense.

The right LWer, while not making us a power house, would make us a lot better. Imagine what our record would be if we had a guy who was at a PPG scoring goals with Richards while Steps and Gabby were doing their thing on another line.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Problem is, MZA is hurt, right?
Correct. 3rd time I believe, same injury.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:20 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:

Great posts SBOB in response to mine and others in this thread.

And I agree that it would take more than Zuccarello to inject some real skill/make a difference in the lineup, and I also agree that a consistent, average PP would hide a lot of the flaws this team has seemed to have shown recently.

But I think step 1 is giving Richards the linemates he should be commanding. The Rangers could have a reasonable top 6 but like you said, for whatever reason, Torts seems to want to get Richards going by playing him with some grinders.

Good posts!

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:24 AM
lebear
I have no idea

Hagelin was amazing, and the whole line is exciting. Dubinsky was good to.

The bad? Losing, and the forecheck. Won't read anything into this loss, we had a lot of quality offense but MAF played great. If only Gaborik would've scored on that backhand, or Feds (it was him right?) at the beginning of the game on that hard pass.

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:46 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebear View Post
Hagelin was amazing, and the whole line is exciting. Dubinsky was good to.

The bad? Losing, and the forecheck. Won't read anything into this loss, we had a lot of quality offense but MAF played great. If only Gaborik would've scored on that backhand, or Feds (it was him right?) at the beginning of the game on that hard pass.
You forgot the PP

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

I thought Stralman had a decent game.

The Redden: The horrible Pittsbrugh broadcast team. Watched the game feed on NHLN...these two hosers were physically painful to listen to. They actually said that Dubinsky used the cross check to his side as an opportunity to high stick Letang...and called him a diver. Why would Dubinsky dive when he has the puck and position on the defender?

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen North View Post

The Redden: The horrible Pittsbrugh broadcast team. Watched the game feed on NHLN...these two hosers were physically painful to listen to. They actually said that Dubinsky used the cross check to his side as an opportunity to high stick Letang...and called him a diver. Why would Dubinsky dive when he has the puck and position on the defender?
their announcing made me seriously want to turn off the audio. really really really super homers there.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:

And just think Saturday's game is also on the NHLN, which means super homer Jack Edwards.

Seriously, I know Dolan and the NHL are in some sort of constant pissing match but if they are going to show this many ranger games on the NHLN at least give us some Ranger feeds. I think every Ranger game on NHLN has been a non-Ranger feed. Getting the home broadcast is the main reason I paid for gamecenter, but I haven't been able to watch an MSG broadcast since the Ottawa game.

Old
01-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

As a Rangers fan stationed far away from NY, I've been pretty happy with the number of Rangers games on VS/NBCS and NHLN this year. It seems like we've had more this year than in previous years.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:33 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
As a Rangers fan stationed far away from NY, I've been pretty happy with the number of Rangers games on VS/NBCS and NHLN this year. It seems like we've had more this year than in previous years.
Yeah, I am outside the NY area as well, and it does seem like they have had more, however it is almost unwatchable when it is these terrible broadcast teams. Just saying it would be nice to get the Ranger feed once in a while. Also not a big fan of gamecenter being blacked out when the game is on NHLN, like this Saturday. NBC I understand, but NHLN? Seems a bit much, especially considering how much I paid for gamecenter to specifically watch the games at work where I don't have NHLN.

On another note I just posted this in the around the nhl section but it is probably more applicable here concerning the Cooke slewfoot:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...not-practicing

No tripping penalty was called on the ice, but the play was reviewed by the NHL Department of Player Safety. The play apparently did not meet the threshold of a traditional slew-foot, so Cooke, a repeat offender, is not expected to receive any supplementary discipline.

*edit: 1,000th post
I'd say it means I have no life but some of you have a LOT more than me. ha ha.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 01-20-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old
01-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Raymones

Quote:

I agree about Stralman, yet somehow coaches gave Staal his minutes despite the fact he struggled heavily throughout the whole game. I can see why they want Staal going as soon as possible, but the MDZ/AS pair has worked very well. Why mess with that?

Also, give Anton a shot playing PP. He did very well on the point earlier in his career, no risk in giving him a chance on give this one a spark.

Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:56 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Donīt forget the foil

I would call up Andre Deveaux and Kris Newbury against Pittsburgh the 21st of February and really goon it up.

Dress:
Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Stepan - Callahan
Boyle - AA - Deveaux
Rupp - Newbury - Prust

Put one of Feds + Wolski on IR (regardless if injured or not) and ev send down Mitchell

Bickel & SAuer in on D

Then go after that punk Cooke and nail him through the boards once and for all

And be all over Malkin all game long.

Start a brawl.

Make it the tone-setting game of the future sick hate rivalry between these teams

And no - I am not joking...
Go Chiefs go!!!

I hate Pittsburgh...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:12 PM
rholt168
Hank**3

You can change all the other lines, but Hags/Stepan/Gabby needs to stay the same. Hags is a perfect fit on that line.

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:25 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
their announcing made me seriously want to turn off the audio. really really really super homers there.
I did put the game on mute. Biggest homers in the league.

Also I was screaming at my TV about the slewfoot. How does Matt Cooke, the definition of a repeat offender, get away with that? And how do the Rangers not respond.

01-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

I agree with the post, for the most part, but disagree with the bold point entirely. Callahan was on pace to score 30 goals / 60 points LAST SEASON, when Richards wasn't on the team. It is hard to say that Richards is "making Callahan a better player" when Callahan is putting up the same exact numbers he did last year, playing without the world class play maker. Isn't it just possible that Callahan has maintained status quo and Richards hasn't done a whole lot to improve him? If he did, Callahan would be on pace for a lot more than a 25-30 goal / 60 point season.

Fataldogg is online now   Reply With Quote