HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs Cans 7 p.m. Dancing Queen edition. 1.20.2012

Old
01-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Fallschirmyager

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Gotta say I'm not impressed by JJ's work with the D so far. One might say that they are holding teams to fewer goals, but the problem is that the passive play and inability to clear the zone makes it impossible to succeed on offense. I don't know if there is a method to Dale's madness, but he had better start putting in more work with simple things like accurate passes, controlling passes, etc. It has been bush league.
The problem is you can see the positive effect on the D. You're assigning a player failure to a coach.

Just like that goal. 2 players took off without the puck and a PP goal is scored. That is NOT on the coach. Period. This game is on the players needing to at least act like they care because only TVO looks like it so far.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:40 PM
KnoccOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
And here we go
U don't think so? Ok Hunter is a bigger fool because it's his crappy system

KnoccOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Capsman

I'm pretty convinced now Dale was the wrong guy for this job. I was looking for better fundamentals, something that was not BB's forte. Doesn't seem to be Dale's either. Was better at one point, but it seems that Dale gave it token attention and decided that was enough. So 21 straight periods of getting outshot. Really. REALLY?

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Koized

People need to put the Dale vs. Bruce argument to rest. The obvious variable that sucks are the players.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Dream Big

Why Orlov on the PK?

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:46 PM
txpd

Quote:
I'm pretty convinced now Dale was the wrong guy for this job. I was looking for better fundamentals, something that was not BB's forte. Doesn't seem to be Dale's either. Was better at one point, but it seems that Dale gave it token attention and decided that was enough. So 21 straight periods of getting outshot. Really. REALLY?
i think we have no idea what hunter or boudreau are teaching on ice, in video session in team meetings. we dont know what jj or evason are concentrating on.

the team may well not be successful in these areas, but to suggest that the caps spent only token time on something is guessing at best

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post
People need to put the Dale vs. Bruce argument to rest. The obvious variable that sucks are the players.
Right now it is the players. The only consistency is their inconsistent effort. That there is NO excuse for. DH needs to get them in practice tomorrow and pull a Herb Brooks. You're not gonna give me the effort during a game you'll give it to me now and just run suicides for an hour. Getting beaten by bad bounces or great plays is acceptable. Showing lack of effort is not and this team is guilty of that far too often.

Also, it's time to start sitting players. Put them on notice. Lack of effort means you'll be sat for the rest of the game you're in and the next. Only honest effort will keep you in the line up.

Old
01-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
The problem is you can see the positive effect on the D. You're assigning a player failure to a coach.

Just like that goal. 2 players took off without the puck and a PP goal is scored. That is NOT on the coach. Period. This game is on the players needing to at least act like they care because only TVO looks like it so far.
And why do you think guys are taking off? If we had any semplance of an attack they might play more defensively responsibly; as it stands now they are cheating to try to get something going. Same crap we saw with BB.

Forget that goal for a moment, though. In general we are still having a miserable time clearing the zone, and leaving areas of ice wide open which allows opponents to simply pass to a spot. I think it's more than just individual decisions, it's a failure of the system to use the talent at hand. TO be honest, I'm really not seeing much different than what we were doing last season when we went to a "defensive system".

Dale had things going well for a while and he should have continued to build upon that. Quick passing, dumping to spots, intense forechecking, and good player + puck movement on the cycle. You can have a bad game here or there, but when you see a 21 period stint of getting manhandled, that speaks of a problem with the system.

I was ambivalent about Dale when he came, and I'll still give him time before he's on my ***** list. But I think there were better candidates.

I t

Old
01-20-2012, 08:54 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

It's really just sad to see how far the caps have fallen. They can't make passes, can't get shots and can't score. Ovechkin and Semin look worse than Carolina's 4th liners, and the team just looks inferior to every opponent they face. I mean what's the point of a defensive system if it completely destroys your offensive game? It's ridiculous that this team ever switched styles. The Caps played hockey the right way. The only problem was they had a backup goalie in Theodore, and Dmen such as Jurcina, Morrisonn, Sloan, and Schultz. They had horrible Defensemen and a bad goalie. Im confident it wasn't the system that set them back in the playoffs. They didn't have depth on the back end or a top goalie. Now they do, but they have 2 donkeys leading the way that have no clue what they're doing. Its just so disappointing seeing that this team was so close, and now it seems they're so far away, and that the majority of the roster, team personnel, and management need to be blown up. They over reacted to one playoff upset, and ruined what could have been a dynasty. Not to mention that Ovechkin, a player that looked to be one of the best of all time, now looks like a shadow of his former self. Just so upset right now watching this game, and this season as a whole, and thinking about how good they used to be and the passion and energy they used to have.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Halpysback

Quote:

I was ambivalent about Dale when he came, and I'll still give him time before he's on my ***** list. But I think there were better candidates.

I t
We're facing one right now.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:56 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post
This.

But I still think Bruce should be here, but whatever.

It is what it is.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:57 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
It's really just sad to see how far the caps have fallen. They can't make passes, can't get shots and can't score. Ovechkin and Semin look worse than Carolina's 4th liners, and the team just looks inferior to every opponent they face. I mean what's the point of a defensive system if it completely destroys your offensive game? It's ridiculous that this team ever switched styles. The Caps played hockey the right way. The only problem was they had a backup goalie in Theodore, and Dmen such as Jurcina, Morrisonn, Sloan, and Schultz. They had horrible Defensemen and a bad goalie. Im confident it wasn't the system that set them back in the playoffs. They didn't have depth on the back end or a top goalie. Now they do, but they have 2 donkeys leading the way that have no clue what they're doing. Its just so disappointing seeing that this team was so close, and now it seems they're so far away, and that the majority of the roster, team personnel, and management need to be blown up. They over reacted to one playoff upset, and ruined what could have been a dynasty. Not to mention that Ovechkin, a player that looked to be one of the best of all time, now looks like a shadow of his former self. Just so upset right now watching this game, and this season as a whole, and thinking about how good they used to be and the passion and energy they used to have.
McPhee needs to go, sorry folks. It's over. He destroyed this team.

aquablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:58 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
This pretty much sums it up. Good post.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:01 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
This.

But I still think Bruce should be here, but whatever.

It is what it is.
bruce admits that he broke. that he didnt trust his own coaching. it was time. i was in favor of dale. loved the hire. now? the team is so passive. ovechkin is no longer a force. semin is more able to create a little something on his own than 8.

sorry, i dont buy that ov is nothing without backstrom. if ovechkin is a generational player, he cant go missing so regularly. 3pts in the last 8 games is pretty average

Old
01-20-2012, 09:04 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
McPhee needs to go, sorry folks. It's over. He destroyed this team.
No the fans destroyed this team with the bull**** defense hockey first and all pressure from the fans and the media

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
No the fans destroyed this team with the bull**** defense hockey first and all pressure from the fans and the media
Maybe BB shouldn't have conformed to the pundits.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Dream Big

Just need one goal to get it started.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Just need one goal to get it started.
sometimes just getting a shot on the net is asking for a lot...much less a goal.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Dream Big

Well at least there was a shot on goal by a "very, very good young American defenseman."

Old
01-20-2012, 09:12 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
If the Caps moves were in response to the fans then you proved even further GMGM needs to go.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
And why do you think guys are taking off? If we had any semplance of an attack they might play more defensively responsibly; as it stands now they are cheating to try to get something going. Same crap we saw with BB.

Forget that goal for a moment, though. In general we are still having a miserable time clearing the zone, and leaving areas of ice wide open which allows opponents to simply pass to a spot. I think it's more than just individual decisions, it's a failure of the system to use the talent at hand. TO be honest, I'm really not seeing much different than what we were doing last season when we went to a "defensive system".

Dale had things going well for a while and he should have continued to build upon that. Quick passing, dumping to spots, intense forechecking, and good player + puck movement on the cycle. You can have a bad game here or there, but when you see a 21 period stint of getting manhandled, that speaks of a problem with the system.

I t
Not trying to make this a bigger discussion than it already is but several things.

1. that goal is a shining example of the problem. It was a direct result of the players NOT clearing the puck before transitioining to offense. That is a huge problem for a time now and it's on the players. That is not on the coaches. That is the players not doing the right thing. They know better and do it anyway.

2. As for Hunter, I am and was unsure of the choice. I firmly believe that this should be GMGM's last coaching change. This is year 7 of the Ovechkin era and coach number 3. Not one was a proven NHL coach to start. This team needs a coach who has been there and done that and isn't afraid to sit players. Hanlon, Boudreau and Hunter to date have not done that.

3. This team needs an ass kicking. That could be anything from running suicides for the entire practice, a shake up trade or sitting Ovechkin or just pulling the C to let everyone know their effort sucks an no one is immune.

Old
HEATftw

I don't think it's the system, well it is, because obviously all the players aren't buying into it.
I know I'm hating on Ovechkin all the time but if he takes 2 strides in his last shift(when he cancelled out the icing-call) in the D-zone he has the chance to get it out twice, but he just glides, one hand on the stick and his body language just sends a disgusting message and i would of been so furious if I was sitting on the bench watching that. It's like he doesn't care.

But, as soon as Caps was forced to ice it, he didn't mind skating.. So frustrating.

HEATftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Dream Big

All the play is our d zone and when we do get it in the offensive zone we look not so good. It has been a lot of games this week. Can we use that as a reason?

Old
01-20-2012, 09:15 PM
BPMrules

Quote:
This.
There is a small part of me that wants the caps to miss the playoffs, just so they can get a serious reality check, and look at the wholesale mental/professional/managerial changes that need to be made with this hockey club. They have totally lost their direction and identity.
Being a fan of this team since the late 80's, I've never had as hard a time watching this team every night than I am these days. I don't put as much fault on DH, though some of it is his to bear, but far more on McPhee for missing his window of opportunity, and the players for not seizing the opportunity when it's been given to them, and getting down in the dumps when things don't go their way.
Injuries are one thing, but playing with 50% effort at best, is no excuse. This team should never get outshot 2-1 every night, with our personnel, ever.

BPMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Capsman

Quote:
They should have gotten rid of BB earlier, then hired a coach who either had a history of coaching a balanced team with offensive skill or an assistant to a coach like that.