HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

BTW, guys... We're in 4th place!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2012, 10:22 AM
  #51
Disclose
Registered User
 
Disclose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,171
vCash: 1000
why is everyone freaking out with the games in hand?
the other teams also have to win them. we already did.
of course we might not finish 4th, but the team is playing great and so far we do have a chance.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:46 AM
  #52
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
when i'm asked, "How are they doing so well?" this is my answer...

Karlsson, Anderson, Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson, Turris, Gonchar, Kuba, Cowen...
Foligno, Greening, Condra, Smith, Phillips, Neil,... (Regin injured)

I don't know... solid team top to bottom (except a back-up goalie). All they needed was a good coach and a N.1 goalie, and a bit of fresh air (youth movement)

And it's only the beginning... Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Petersson, Stone, Da Costa, Borowiecki...

Funny thing is that team started the season 1-5 (adjustment period to the new system/coaching staff and like 8 rookies in the line-up)

They are 26-11-6 since...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
We've taken puck luck to an all-time level. The team is much better than anyone could have expected, but it's going to come crashing down at some point here.

We need to be about 500 until the end of the year. Can we do it? I honestly don't know. I do know this, our chances of making the playoffs are nowhere near 80+%.

-Dbladdy Downer
You're so right...

- Posts and Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
This is wrong. It's not about the other teams, it's about points to get in. Look at history. We get a point per game from here on in and we'll be in with 93 points. We hit even a minor losing streak and we'll miss. It's that simple.
Dude, the team is 26-11-6 in its last 43 games. That's a 111 points pace. Thanks

We should be able to finish over 94 pts. Of course we need to stay away from the injury bug... always my biggest worry

Also, Cowen is a winner. Every team he plays on just wins. ^^insert the song "All I do is win win win"^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Also, for the first time this season we are on positive side in goal differential.
Ya the team was -15 after 6 games. It took a while to overcome this, of course.


Last edited by Xspyrit: 01-20-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:49 AM
  #53
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,095
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Karlsson, Anderson, Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson, Turris, Gonchar, Kuba, Cowen...
Foligno, Greening, Condra, Smith, Phillips, Neil,... (Regin injured)

I don't know... solid team top to bottom (except a back-up goalie). All they needed was a good coach and a N.1 goalie, and a bit of fresh air (youth movement)

And it's only the beginning... Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Petersson, Stone, Da Costa, Borowiecki...

Funny thing is that team started the season 1-5 (adjustment period to the new system/coaching staff and like 8 rookies in the line-up)

They are 26-11-6 since...



You're so right...

- Posts and Crossbar
If we kept up that pace throughout the whole season, only Boston and NYR would be ahead of us point % wise

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:06 AM
  #54
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
why is everyone freaking out with the games in hand?
the other teams also have to win them. we already did.
of course we might not finish 4th, but the team is playing great and so far we do have a chance.
People want to use any excuse to downplay the success the Sens have had. Yes, we have games in hand. What's important is we've WON those games. It'll all even out eventually, but it doesn't mean the Sens aren't playing well. I don't buy that argument at all.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
  #55
xking23
Petersson
 
xking23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,313
vCash: 500
Guys, don't worry, we will make the playoffs and win the Cup. It's Cowen's first season in this league, it is practically fated.

I can see Ottawa finishing anywhere from 1st-6th. With everyone saying Ottawa just needs one big injury or losing skid to fall so does Boston or the Rangers. I'm just happy Ottawa looks to be making the playoffs, and with more youth looking to come in next year, it is exciting hockey to watch.

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:30 AM
  #56
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65
 
Patvolcom65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New-Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,053
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xking23 View Post
Guys, don't worry, we will make the playoffs and win the Cup. It's Cowen's first season in this league, it is practically fated.

I can see Ottawa finishing anywhere from 1st-6th. With everyone saying Ottawa just needs one big injury or losing skid to fall so does Boston or the Rangers. I'm just happy Ottawa looks to be making the playoffs, and with more youth looking to come in next year, it is exciting hockey to watch.
We would have but you just jinxed it

Patvolcom65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:31 AM
  #57
Golden
Börk Börk Börk
 
Golden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,689
vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
People want to use any excuse to downplay the success the Sens have had. Yes, we have games in hand. What's important is we've WON those games. It'll all even out eventually, but it doesn't mean the Sens aren't playing well. I don't buy that argument at all.
Josie, it's been a while. I agree with you. Yes, we have games in hand but those are games we won, so we've done all that we can do at this point.

Considering how this team was perceived early in the season, we should be celebrating the fact that we are in fourth, no matter how temporary.

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:43 AM
  #58
Zedrow
Registered User
 
Zedrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
If we kept up that pace throughout the whole season, only Boston and NYR would be ahead of us point % wise
What is interesting is that Saturday it is NY vs. Boston. We are 2pts behind NY and 1pt behind Boston, it could get interesting.

Also I think it will be Alfie's 1100th game, which could add some motivation.

Zedrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
  #59
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65
 
Patvolcom65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New-Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,053
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrow View Post
What is interesting is that Saturday it is NY vs. Boston. We are 2pts behind NY and 1pt behind Boston, it could get interesting.

Also I think it will be Alfie's 1100th game, which could add some motivation.
Dont forget Neil 700th game
Gonchar had his 1100th game yesterday

Patvolcom65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:10 PM
  #60
biffs
Registered User
 
biffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: www.failrun.com
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
As long as we are winning I really don't care how many games we are ahead of the rest of the conference. Might as well play the games now while we are hot.

biffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:24 PM
  #61
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Josie, it's been a while. I agree with you. Yes, we have games in hand but those are games we won, so we've done all that we can do at this point.

Considering how this team was perceived early in the season, we should be celebrating the fact that we are in fourth, no matter how temporary.
It's been a long while! Glad to see some familiar names still around.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:39 PM
  #62
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
It's been a long while! Glad to see some familiar names still around.
Who are you?

__________________
No, I'm not a girl. Stop asking!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlQ4ybRWH8
PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:40 PM
  #63
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65
 
Patvolcom65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New-Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,053
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Who are you?
The real question is.. Why are you not getting ready to play tomorow?

Patvolcom65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:45 PM
  #64
Pancakes Pancakes
Registered User
 
Pancakes Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cattawa
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 1100
Games in hand don't mean **** if we keep winning or they keep losing.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:04 PM
  #65
shootingrubber
Registered User
 
shootingrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,485
vCash: 500
We're 4th in the East in points percentage.

shootingrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:14 PM
  #66
Alf Silfversson
Registered User
 
Alf Silfversson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 715
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
This is wrong. It's not about the other teams, it's about points to get in. Look at history. We get a point per game from here on in and we'll be in with 93 points. We hit even a minor losing streak and we'll miss. It's that simple.

By the same token a significant winning streak puts us on VERY solid playoff ground.

Let's say that in late Feb early March the Senators win 6 games in a row.

Ignoring whatever might have happened between now and then and they have 72 points 55 games.

Making the playoffs means likely getting a minimum of 20-21 points in the other 27 games.

Seeing as this team wins more than it loses over a significant sample of games, it's more likely that there is a winning streak than a losing streak.

Not saying the Sens are a lock for postseason but they are in, statistically, a strong position.


Last edited by Alf Silfversson: 01-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Alf Silfversson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:15 PM
  #67
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman
 
MainDotC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Morrisville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,149
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingrubber View Post
We're 4th in the East in points percentage.
Yes, and that can easily change with one of our series of spectacular failures so don't take it for granted. I've seen this all the time...things going well, team gets on a hot streak, then all of a sudden goals are being let in, injuries pile up, and then we're seeing highlights on TSN of a lot of Sens shaking their head after the opposition scores. Don't take it for granted, Sens can easily blow this chance.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:16 PM
  #68
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens
 
SlapJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Since Oct 19th, after losing at home to Philadelphia 7-2, this team has had the 5th highest point % in the entire league, and no team has amassed more points. This team is for real, even when that inevitable down patch comes up. If you can do that over 3 months or half a season, it's not luck. Luck helps but every team needs it every once in a while.

People thinking Boston would keep destroying everybody would be crazy as well...they're really good, but not that good.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:19 PM
  #69
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
Since Oct 19th, after losing at home to Philadelphia 7-2, this team has had the 5th highest point % in the entire league, and no team has amassed more points. This team is for real, even when that inevitable down patch comes up. If you can do that over 3 months or half a season, it's not luck. Luck helps but every team needs it every once in a while.

People thinking Boston would keep destroying everybody would be crazy as well...they're really good, but not that good.
Yeah Boston is that good. They have the Cup rings and they are EVEN BETTER then last year.

They lead the NHL in Point Percentage right now and they have a freakish goal differential and their start was worse than hours. We managed to get ahead of them early in the season even though we had our own terrible start. Since they turned it around how many games has Boston lost? 4 or 5?

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:24 PM
  #70
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Who are you?
I see how it is.

I recently moved from Ottawa to the US, so I thought I'd start posting here again for a little slice of home! Luckily I can still see all the Sens games.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:47 PM
  #71
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: uOttawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,645
vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
Yes, and that can easily change with one of our series of spectacular failures so don't take it for granted. I've seen this all the time...things going well, team gets on a hot streak, then all of a sudden goals are being let in, injuries pile up, and then we're seeing highlights on TSN of a lot of Sens shaking their head after the opposition scores. Don't take it for granted, Sens can easily blow this chance.
Edmonton

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:53 PM
  #72
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls
 
Tubby Tuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,456
vCash: 500
The way I look at it is even with the games at hand - we're still in the playoffs if all other teams below us win all of their games that would bring them to 48 like us.

(Maybe that's not true anymore but that is how I was looking at it a few days ago)

So it's just a matter of keeping up the good win/loss ratio and squeezing as many points as possible out of each game. I'd rather have the wins in the bag then be looking for them with games at hand.

Tubby Tuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:58 PM
  #73
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens
 
SlapJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Yeah Boston is that good. They have the Cup rings and they are EVEN BETTER then last year.

They lead the NHL in Point Percentage right now and they have a freakish goal differential and their start was worse than hours. We managed to get ahead of them early in the season even though we had our own terrible start. Since they turned it around how many games has Boston lost? 4 or 5?
But they're not unstoppable. They've been cruising and playing great hockey, however they won't keep beating the opposition 6-1 or 9-0. I agree that they are THE team to beat, but they will hit some tough spots on the way. Hopefully during the playoffs

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:19 PM
  #74
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
But they're not unstoppable. They've been cruising and playing great hockey, however they won't keep beating the opposition 6-1 or 9-0. I agree that they are THE team to beat, but they will hit some tough spots on the way. Hopefully during the playoffs
The Bruins are beatable.. any team is. But they are NEVER going to beat themselves. They have so much depth that if you successfully shut down a line they will just have another. And Chara and Thomas.

Honestly, as much as we have got killed by Boston for years. How much they own us. I think we have as good a chance to beat them as any team in the East. Anderson can go full Thomas at times and our team is too young and on a roll to realize they are outmatched. And we are one of the few teams that is not going to be physically intimidated in any way by them. We are not the Canucks. We are built in terms of toughness like the Bruins.

I am not saying we win against them but we have as good or better chance then Flyers or Rangers. The other dangerous team is Pittsburgh. And Malkin hates being mauled and beat down physically. Without Crosby Boston looks good vs Penguins. The Penguins could beat us or any of the other top teams in the East without Crosby if they are healthy they are very, very dangerous. But they need to be healthy and Malkin needs to be playing like the best player in the world.

Flyers and Rangers and Caps just don't scare me. They could beat us but we could just as easily beat them. They don't particularly match up well against us.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:31 PM
  #75
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,092
vCash: 500
I like how we score. This is not a top heavy team that can get shut down. Spezza and Alfredsson are cemented on separate lines with another talented player and a grinding type player. Smith and Foligno just score and produce offence on their own and that is not going to stop happening I think. Cowen is better and better offensively. If the PP starts to struggle you can go back to 2 minutes of Karlsson and Gonchar working the points... if it can start to work better you have two PP units.

The Pizza line was great... but as we saw versus the Ducks in 2007 if all your apples are in one basket you are at huge risk.

The only thing I really want is a slightly more dangerous 4th line then we have. With injuries ending/and or a trade we might see a deeper better 4th. Right now often Maclean is sheltering the 4th line... and not playing them many minutes. We need to be able to roll the 4th line in the playoffs to really be an elite contender.

And with over 30 games left in the season a lot can happen and the 4th line can get better and a strength not a weakness. If I run a team the problems I want to have are on the 4th line not lines 1-3!

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.