HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BTW, guys... We're in 4th place!

Old
01-20-2012, 05:12 PM
JD1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Yeah Boston is that good. They have the Cup rings and they are EVEN BETTER then last year.

They lead the NHL in Point Percentage right now and they have a freakish goal differential and their start was worse than hours. We managed to get ahead of them early in the season even though we had our own terrible start. Since they turned it around how many games has Boston lost? 4 or 5?
you know, by the end of the year, everyone plays 82 games, 41 on the road and 41 at home. Boston has had the league's most favourable schedule to this point in the season. They've played the fewest games, the least amount of road games, the least amount of back to backs, and also the weakest opposition. They got a 30 game stretch to get through after the all star game where they are playing a lot of 3 games in 4 nights, 4 games in 6 nights, back to backs, against tough opposition. You know, kind of like how our schedule has been since the drop of the puck this season.

They may well have a freakish goal differential but they also have a losing percentage against other top flight teams. That goal differential is aided by playing weak teams and so is that point percentage.

JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Cowen Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Yeah Boston is that good. They have the Cup rings and they are EVEN BETTER then last year.

They lead the NHL in Point Percentage right now and they have a freakish goal differential and their start was worse than hours. We managed to get ahead of them early in the season even though we had our own terrible start. Since they turned it around how many games has Boston lost? 4 or 5?
So with they way the Sens come from behind this season, they have Boston exactly where they want them.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:21 PM
hockeyfan747

Trade Spezza It is so nice when the team has no expectations and then comes out and performs like this!

hockeyfan747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:33 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I am just enjoying this right now. Everyone is waiting for them to lose. They haven't. At first was "if the Sens can get through this difficult stretch in November...then they are for real". People still didn't believe. Then it was " if they can get through this stretch in December...they are for real". People still didn't believe. Then it was January, etc...when will people simply believe? Ray Ferraro is finally on board. but it took a while and it was only last week where he essentially said that you can't fake what they are doing. he admitted he underrated the Ottawa new guys and undervalued the vets.

So, Minnesota was leading the conference and they have been on a disastrous streak. One for the ages, really. Can this happen to us? I worry about that sometimes and yes, theoretically it can happen. But there is something going on here. I can't put my finger on it but something special that we are witnessing and I for one will just enjoy as long as it lasts. If we flame out, I would be shocked at this point. Everyone looks at the games played and assume that the teams chasing us, with point IN THE BANK, are going to win all their games in hand...oh really?

Who thought we were going to win last night? i think only that locker room. I didn't. We say things like "puck luck" etc...because we are incredulous.

This is so fun.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
This is wrong. It's not about the other teams, it's about points to get in. Look at history. We get a point per game from here on in and we'll be in with 93 points. We hit even a minor losing streak and we'll miss. It's that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post

You get 2 points for a win, and even in some losses you get a point. We can go sub .500 from here and still make the playoffs. Do the math.

I'd like you to read these two posts again.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

We haven't gotten more than 25 shots in any of our last 6 games. We shouldn't have won ANY of those games, which would have put us in 10th with multiple games on the rest of the East. Instead we won 5, so we're in 4th place. Anyone who isn't thanking their lucky stars right now is a ****ing homer. \

We need to play like a 10th place team for the next 33 games to get our 93 points to make 8th....I'd say it's a coin toss that we can do it.

Old
01-20-2012, 08:58 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
We haven't gotten more than 25 shots in any of our last 6 games.

We shouldn't have won ANY of those games, which would have put us in 10th with multiple games on the rest of the East. Instead we won 5, so we're in 4th place.

Anyone who isn't thanking their lucky stars that we are where we are right now is a ****ing homer.

We need to play like a 10th place team for the next 33 games. I'd say it's a coin toss that we can do it.
Good teams find a way to win, even if their schedule is forcing them to go basically non stop (and on the road too)

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:05 PM
GreatStateofHockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
We haven't gotten more than 25 shots in any of our last 6 games. We shouldn't have won ANY of those games, which would have put us in 10th with multiple games on the rest of the East. Instead we won 5, so we're in 4th place.

Anyone who isn't thanking their lucky stars right now is a ****ing homer. We need to play like a 10th place team for the next 33 games to get our 93 points to make 8th.

I'd say it's a coin toss that we can do it.
It's called the law of balances

Early in season : Team bails Anderson out

Recently : Anderson bails team out

I'm able to watch 95% of Sens games, and I can say without a doubt that we are a pass first team. The Sens like to make the pretty play, and sometimes it results in a goal, and sometimes it results in no shot.

We are normally putting up as many if not more scoring chances, which matters more than Shots for/against.

GreatStateofHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Good teams find a way to win, even if their schedule is forcing them to go basically non stop (and on the road too)
The way I see it is that the sens have either had the stars on fire, or anderson on fire, but never both at the same time. It's been enough to tip the scales in our favour for a lot of close wins. If they both get hot at the same time, this will be a good team. If they both return to earth at the same time, this is a non-playoff team.

I'm crossing my fingers for the former.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZibanejad View Post
It's called the law of balances

Early in season : Team bails Anderson out

Recently : Anderson bails team out

I'm able to watch 95% of Sens games, and I can say without a doubt that we are a pass first team. The Sens like to make the pretty play, and sometimes it results in a goal, and sometimes it results in no shot.

We are normally putting up as many if not more scoring chances, which matters more than Shots for/against.
Ha, I almost made the exact same post. If the scoring chances stat is true, I'll be pretty relieved. Where do you get those stats?

Old
01-20-2012, 09:17 PM
SaxPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patvolcom65 View Post
We know that the others team have 4-5games in hand over us. We won't be 4th for long.. But with their 4-5games the others team are gonna have to keep winning since we aren't slowing down for now. Things will be interesting soon.
Philly has four games in hand and are two points behind. So I think it's pretty obvious they have a pretty big edge on us with those games in hand, unless they go 0-3-1 or worse.

But for the other teams with games in hand:
  • Pittsburgh has to win their two games in hand just to tie us
  • New Jersey has to win all three games in hand just to tie us
  • Even if Washington wins all three games in hand, they will still be two points behind
  • Even if Toronto wins their three games in hand, they will still be three points behind

So even if all the teams chasing us win every game in hand, we're still at worst in a three-way tie for fifth. Given that at least some of those games in hand are likely against each other (although I haven't checked that), it's highly improbable (if not impossible) that all four teams will win all their games in hand. So I expect we're firmly ensconced in fifth place.

Of course, that could change if we go on an extended losing streak. On the other hand, if Philly loses a couple of their games in hand and we pick up another couple wins, we could be in fourth place "for real".

SaxPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:43 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
The way I see it is that the sens have either had the stars on fire, or anderson on fire, but never both at the same time. It's been enough to tip the scales in our favour for a lot of close wins. If they both get hot at the same time, this will be a good team. If they both return to earth at the same time, this is a non-playoff team.

I'm crossing my fingers for the former.
As for shots its not just about getting tons of shots you need good scoring chances you good have tons of shots on net but not many good chances while you could have 25 shots and have a few good chances.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Cowen Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
As for shots its not just about getting tons of shots you need good scoring chances you good have tons of shots on net but not many good chances while you could have 25 shots and have a few good chances.
Against the Sharks, they had 5 scoring chances in the first 10 minute flurry, and only 3 for the rest of the game. Lots of perimeter shots for the Sharks.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:05 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

I don't see how the Sens completely fall out of the playoff race....it would not take a minor losing streak, it would take a massive collapse and almost the complete reversal of the streak they have been on.

Losing a few in a row would drop them down to 7-9th territory with a bunch of other teams, but than a few wings strung together and they are right back sitting in 4th-5th. Basically, the standings will move around a bit between now and early April, but the Sens can go .500 and still hold on to their spot.

Of course, it does depend on what other teams do with their games in hand and how hot teams get down the stretch and what moves have been at the deadline - all important factors.

If this team stays healthy and continues to hold their own at home and steal a few games on the road than they are well on their way to not only the playoffs, but home ice as well.

One game at a time boys and girls, never good to get ahead of yourselves but that's why their sites for predicting percentages of making the playoffs or not. It's all in the stats.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:31 PM
ShotDownCrosby

I agree with above. The only way I can see the Sens really falling out of the Playoff race is if we have a major injury(ies). Spezza or Anderson go down, I think we are done for.

Apparently I heard on the radio this morning that the Sens haven't lost back to back games since Nov. Is this true? Because if it is, and the Sens continue this, then we are awesome!

I would prefer to go W - W - L for the rest of the season though!

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
DethAlive

If we win tonight and tomorow, and Bruins and Rangers lose in regulation tomorow, we're tied for 1st place in the east

DethAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:48 PM
ShotDownCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethAlive View Post
If we win tonight and tomorow, and Bruins and Rangers lose in regulation tomorow, we're tied for 1st place in the east
It would be nice to see if only for a day.

I had an argument with someone saying Hitchcock was a shoe in for the Jack Adams at this point because he made a team go from predicted 5-8th to a team fighting for first in their division. I just laughed hysterically at them, being like -- well that's fine and dandy, MacLean took a team which is worse on paper and predicted dead last in the LEAGUE to the playoffs at this point and 5th at that. What a joke!

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote