HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Is it hard to play an aggressive pk

Old
01-20-2012, 04:35 AM
murdoq

vCash: 500
Is it hard to play an aggressive pk

i sometimes watch the islanders and like their pk. it's pretty aggressive and exciting to watch. and i wonder why the sabres can't play that way? is it just the "speed" of our forwards?

murdoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:38 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

It's actually a combination of things:

1) The Sabres PK is based on limiting the shots to the outside. Aggressively attacking forces passes in to the slot.

2) Most Sabres do not block shots. They don't sell their bodies to block them. Its more of a stand in a small box, and let them pass around the outside. When a shot does come from the point, its up to the goalie to save it and the defense to clear the rebound.

3) Lindy is a big active sticks advocate. Which means less skating and chasing.

Most importantly, it's not that they can't play that way - it's that they won't and the coaching staff is happy with our PK the way it is. Don't look now, but our PK is ranked 19th out of 30 at 82%.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:47 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle714404.ece

Quote:
Enstrom's shot from the line zipped by Derek Roy, who clearly screened Miller. Coach Lindy Ruff gave Roy a piece of his mind on the bench about the play, and Roy tossed his water bottle down in disgust.

"He's got to block the shot," Ruff said cryptically.

The play broke down a few seconds earlier when Patrick Kaleta was hobbled from blocking a shot. Kaleta couldn't get out to Enstrom at the point and Roy was caught in no-man's land.

"I didn't know Patty [Kaleta] was hurt and ended up where you don't want to be," Roy said. "I tried to make myself as big as possible but ended up screening him."

Said Miller: "Roysie has got to block it or I've got to save it, plain and simple. There was no one else around. It was one of those things that kind of lined up kind of perfect. That's just the kind of stuff that happens when things aren't going right."

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:01 AM
murdoq

the thing about the islanders, especially grabner's pk is, that he doesn't block many shots but often intercepts passes across the blue line

murdoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
For a team that has quit, how do you get them making hard starts and hard stops that go into an aggressive PK? It's a good indicator of where these guys are, the effort is not there on the 'kill and it continues to fall in the standings, much like the team.