HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens fans have stopped caring

Old
01-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Bob Cole

vCash: 500
This is a good sign. Hopefully the Bell centre doesnt sell out next year. Maybe then Molson and company will decide to rebuild properly.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:29 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
"When the Nords are back", all the ****ing morons in this fanbase and media will flock there.

I'm ecstatic. Can't wait.
I don't know why you assume these type of fans will all become Nords' fans. There's morons that are Habs fans, like me sometimes (although I'm much more level headed in real life than on here). We will still have some of these, I mean, every fan base has that. It's just more obvious since our fan base is gigantic.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Something about this article resonates deeply with me. I don't really think it's Stubbs' specific points that strike me, more his tone.

I can't measure what I'm feeling in empty seats or with the noise meter at the Bell Centre, it's something more abstract than that. I don't think that apathy is really the right word either, it's something like "disappointment to the point of exasperation" that is more fitting.

For cathartic purposes, I'm not going to take a deep breath and discuss this point rationally (as I usually try to do). I'm just going to do my best to relay where I stand in relation to this team right now. I'll begin with an anecdotal ramble...

In my younger days, I was fairly wild. I'd get into trouble every now and again and my dad would get angry. He'd sit me down and give lectures about how I did something wrong, or that I was making bad choices, or something of that nature. It would register for a while but never really hit home and I'd end up doing the same things over again.

On one occasion I managed to do something stupid for which I expected to get a significant blasting. He sat me down and in a matter of fact tone he uttered, "I have nothing to say, but that I'm disappointed in you.", then he left me alone. The fact that he couldn't even muster up the energy to be angry about this had a profound impact on me. It was easily one of the worst moments of my life and one of the most influential conversations I've had in my life.

I know that my relationship with the Habs shouldn't be as significant to me as the one between my father and myself. It's not... However, cheering for the Habs is something my father passed on to me, so I don't think that I'm stretching the analogy all too far. He'd understand this connection more than anyone else would.

Back to the Habs... I have yelled at the TV a lot this season. I've had some vitriolic rants about players, coaches and the team as a whole. I've bickered with people I thought were being overly pessimistic. I've had flashes of insanity where I've wanted to banish members of management to Siberia and/or burn this team's core down and spit on its ashes. I've spent hours considering trades and adjustments that could turn things around and rambled about them extensively. I've had brief glimpses of optimism quickly eclipsed by this team's failures.

At this point I'm somewhat disengaged from that passion. It's not that I flat out don't care, or that I'll stop watching and cheering for the Habs. It's just that I really don't have the energy to feel so negative about something that I usually enjoy so much.

It's not just about winning either; in the past, I've enjoyed the rollercoaster of vicariously riding out the highs and lows with my team. It's just that the highs and lows of this year's team aren't eliciting much emotion from me at this point. The celebratory fist pumps aren't quite as vigorous and at the same time the vitriolic rants are nowhere near as angry. Maybe that's just me, though.

If Geoff Molson were to ask me how I felt about the Habs before the season started, I would have been cautiously optimistic and raved about some of my favourite players while trying to measure my opinion by pointing out a few concerns. If he asked me how I felt about the Habs two months ago, he would have got a passionate but generally negative rant about what was wrong with this team checkered with mentions of some bright spots and a couple ways in which I thought it might be turned around.

If he asked me how I feel about the Habs right now, I'd probably just say "I'm disappointed in them." and look to change the subject.
I wanted to thank you for an extremely well-written, heartfelt post. More than a post, actually. More like an op-ed piece. Really enjoyed reading your thoughts.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:32 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I wanted to thank you for an extremely well-written, heartfelt post. More than a post, actually. More like an op-ed piece. Really enjoyed reading your thoughts.
what about my thoughts? im not as refined

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
What exactly is your point?

That all new generation fans are bandwagoners?

Now for the old timers on here to chime in with how we like mediocrity and losing and we would buy a jersey of a turd if it was a Montreal Canadien.
I'm not sure what to say when I read posts like this. I mean, should we be happy with how the club has been run? Are you happy with how the club has been run?

Do you think it's too much to ask management to make more of an effort to ice a winning team? I don't think it is.
Quote:
"When the Nords are back", all the ****ing morons in this fanbase and media will flock there.

I hate the Nordiques and would prefer that they never come back. Can't stand 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
If he asked me how I feel about the Habs right now, I'd probably just say "I'm disappointed in them." and look to change the subject.
This was a good post.

I can tell you though that if he asked me how I felt about the Habs right now... I'd rip him a new one.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:39 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm not sure what to say when I read posts like this. I mean, should we be happy with how the club has been run? Are you happy with how the club has been run?

Do you think it's too much to ask management to make more of an effort to ice a winning team? I don't think it is.

I hate the Nordiques and would prefer that they never come back. Can't stand 'em.

This was a good post.

I can tell you though that if he asked me how I felt about the Habs right now... I'd rip him a new one.
be a good thing to have the Nordiques back- good for competition and good to have a rival

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:43 PM
FoSotC

A similar thing is happening with the Sabres fanbase. Some of the posts here look a lot like what fans have been saying on our board. Here's hoping things turn around for our teams soon; it really sucks having to look up at the Leafs in the standings.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
be a good thing to have the Nordiques back- good for competition and good to have a rival
Hate them.
Glad their dead.
Don't want to see them back.
Hate them.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Nords will be back but man ,they will take french coaching away from Montreal's pool//LOL

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-20-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
We're in a sucky situation but at least we can stop pretending like we have the greatest fan base in the league.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

I respect you a whole lot. But you have never been more wrong than right now. First, people who are not caring anymore, you are not going to hear them. So whether they stopped watching, or whether they cheer for somebody else, not sure how it affect you or not. Now, it will be even worst with the Nords and especially the day they do better. You have seen nothing yet if you think that the resurgence of the Nords will stop a circus in Montreal to be happening. Try Worse X 10.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:52 PM
ReneBourque27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Hate them.
Glad their dead.
Don't want to see them back.
Hate them.
you must be an english man.

ReneBourque27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:55 PM
ReneBourque27*

Quote:

"When the Nords are back", all the ****ing morons in this fanbase and media will stay here.

ReneBourque27* is offline   Reply With Quote