HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you handle the line situation? [Line-ups thread]

Old
01-11-2012, 09:53 AM
lebear
I have no idea

vCash: 500
How would you handle the line situation? [Line-ups thread]

Torts dilemma is simple: Team is playing well now so he doesn't want to change anything, but there will probably have to be some changes later on and we might suffer from both too much depth, and a discrepancy between top 6 and bottom 6.

What would you do if you had to make some line adjustments? I see problems mainly wiht LW and the role of Wolski.

First of all, I'd see if Wolski and Richards clicked. There also seem to be something wrong with Anisimov. He's got 0 pts in the last 8 games and doesn't look too confident out there. He should be moved to a situation where his responsibility is a bit decreased so that he can work his way up again.

Dubinsky on the other hand is playing with a lot of confidence, along with some production. His hard work along the boards and work ethic makes me think he could be a good fit with Gaborik and Stepan, each having their distinct role on the top line.

My suggested line-up would be the following:

Dubinsky - Stepan - Gaborik
Wolski - Richards - Callahan
Fedetenko - Anisimov - Hagelin
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Boyle needs LESS minutes, and maybe Anisimov could find his game back at the center position with less pressure. Hagelin is the wildcard of the bunch. I'm not sure if he should be on the first, second or third line, but in terms of developing his game I don't think the third would hurt, with an increased ice-time in certain situations.

Boyle, Prust and Rupp are where they belong. I know the third line looks kind of weird, but all three guys are good players, and with Feds and Anisimov playing gritty while also being quite decent puck movers getting it to Hags, it could work.

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Wolski has been struggling the whole year due to injuries, when he was healthy he had problems scoring, and he didn't have the jam that Torts wanted. I wouldn't be surprised if Torts tried him with Richards in practice, but it's likely that Mitchell or something else will have to play themselves out of the lineup.

Wolski has played six games this year, most of them through injury - he might not be able to handle top line minutes so soon, and he probably won't earn them. He'll get a shot there if he makes the lineup and Torts wants to Renney the lines.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

I don't like Woslki down the stretch because I don't think he plays the way Torts wants the team playing. I can't see him upping his physicality and grinding in the playoffs. Similar worries for AA, but AA's a proven product in other regards.

I really have no interest in sticking Wolski anywhere but the trading block.

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:22 AM
MSG the place to be*

Feds - Stepan - Gaborik
Wolski - Richards - Hagelin
Dubi - Anisimov - Cally
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
I don't like Woslki down the stretch because I don't think he plays the way Torts wants the team playing. I can't see him upping his physicality and grinding in the playoffs. Similar worries for AA, but AA's a proven product in other regards.

I really have no interest in sticking Wolski anywhere but the trading block.
He's probably impossible to trade, he was a salary dump known for underperforming with a reputation for having problems with teammates (though the Rangers don't seem to have that). He was weak last year, he only played a few games this year, mostly through injuries, and he didn't play well. He was already a lot less physical than the team needs a big forward to be, and he's not going to get any better coming back from injury. He's also not really fast, and repeated groin injuries are not going to make his skating any better.

I would put EC on the second line before Wolski.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebear View Post
Torts dilemma is simple: Team is playing well now so he doesn't want to change anything, but there will probably have to be some changes later on and we might suffer from both too much depth, and a discrepancy between top 6 and bottom 6.

What would you do if you had to make some line adjustments? I see problems mainly wiht LW and the role of Wolski.

First of all, I'd see if Wolski and Richards clicked. There also seem to be something wrong with Anisimov. He's got 0 pts in the last 8 games and doesn't look too confident out there. He should be moved to a situation where his responsibility is a bit decreased so that he can work his way up again.

Dubinsky on the other hand is playing with a lot of confidence, along with some production. His hard work along the boards and work ethic makes me think he could be a good fit with Gaborik and Stepan, each having their distinct role on the top line.

Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Boyle needs LESS minutes, and maybe Anisimov could find his game back at the center position with less pressure. Hagelin is the wildcard of the bunch. I'm not sure if he should be on the first, second or third line, but in terms of developing his game I don't think the third would hurt, with an increased ice-time in certain situations.

Boyle, Prust and Rupp are where they belong. I know the third line looks kind of weird, but all three guys are good players, and with Feds and Anisimov playing gritty while also being quite decent puck movers getting it to Hags, it could work.
Slight variation of this is to move Feds up to second line and have Wolski start on the 3rd line and earn his way up or out.
Fedetenko - Richards - Callahan
Wolski - Anisimov - Hagelin
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:15 AM
lebear
I have no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Aviary View Post
He's probably impossible to trade, he was a salary dump known for underperforming with a reputation for having problems with teammates (though the Rangers don't seem to have that). He was weak last year, he only played a few games this year, mostly through injuries, and he didn't play well. He was already a lot less physical than the team needs a big forward to be, and he's not going to get any better coming back from injury. He's also not really fast, and repeated groin injuries are not going to make his skating any better.

I would put EC on the second line before Wolski.
Agreed with analysis of Wolski, however I do think he might work with Richards under ideal conditions. I'd rather not have him on the team, especially with that cap hit. Third line would be a more realistic option, but I don't think he'll do anything good there other than for a few games to show that/if he's ready to play. If not, he better be a scratch.

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:47 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

I wouldn't take Anisimov off that top line wing for anything right now. He's a huge part of that lines success, and while Dubi would be just as strong along the boards, Dubi doesn't hawk the puck quite as relentlessly as Anisimov. And finally, I don't believe WW is a legit top 6 NHL winger. Or at least not a guy that you're going to get any added bonuses giving him that much ice-time.

The guy also doesn't play a consistent 2 way game. Not even a full period of shifts will he play both ends of the ice.

Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik

Dubinsky - Richards - Callahan

Mitchell - Boyle - Hagelin

Fedotenko - Rupp - Prust

ANd I'd do whatever possible to keep three right handed shots on the blue-line. Also, I've liked Stralman's greater body of work since he's been here. There's lapses, but really not many. Plus he has a good outlet.

McDonagh - Girardi

Staal - Sauer

Del Zotto - Stralman

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:57 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Ruutu. Stepan. Gaborik
Dubinsky. Richards. Callahan
Hagelin. Anisimov. Fedotenko/Mitchell
Rupp. Boyle. Prust

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'm not one to advocate having everything stay the same, even when we're winning, but I wish people would stop suggesting:

- Anisimov down to the third line
- Feds on one of the top two lines
- Dubi back to center.

In the long run if there's a trade, Anisimov might be down to center the third line, but there's no way he should be right now. I want to give Wolski a try. If he doesn't work out, get him out of here, but let's see him. I think he'll benefit from Hagelins speed.

Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Richards - Callahan
Hagelin - Rupp - Wolski
Feds - Boyle - Prust

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Torts says Dubinsky (right shoulder) is sore, he will be a game-time decision tomorrow.

Wolski would take his place in lineup.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:47 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

perfect. start

Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik
Wolski-Richards-Callahan
Hagelin-Boyle-Mitchell
Fedotenko-Rupp-Prust

INJ Dubi

and bump Hags back up with Richards line if Wolski drops the ball. Wolski should be fine if the coaching staff has really gotten WW to buy into our system and really drilled it into him over the past 4 months of him just watching games, hopefully being around for all the video sessions, and this past month of practice. The team is playing so well and too many mistakes WILL land WW in the press box.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Hagelin Stepan Gaborik
Dubinsky Richards Callahan
Fedotenko Anisimov Wolski
Prust Boyle Mitchell
Rupp

Girardi McDonagh
Del Zotto Stralman
Staal Bickel
Woywitka

I would really love to see Hagelin get a shot with Gabby and Step. All that speed and skill on one line will have the oposition going nuts.

The 2nd line will simply out-work you, out-hit you, out-tough you, and out-score you. There is no remedy for the damage they do out there.

The 3rd line has a good mix of skill and size. Puck control is key. You won't get the puck from them.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gordie We Trust View Post
Hagelin Stepan Gaborik
Dubinsky Richards Callahan
Fedotenko Anisimov Wolski
Prust Boyle Mitchell
Rupp

Girardi McDonagh
Del Zotto Stralman
Staal Bickel
Woywitka

I would really love to see Hagelin get a shot with Gabby and Step. All that speed and skill on one line will have the oposition going nuts.

The 2nd line will simply out-work you, out-hit you, out-tough you, and out-score you. There is no remedy for the damage they do out there.

The 3rd line has a good mix of skill and size. Puck control is key. You won't get the puck from them.
Rupp stays in

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Esa 10

I don't understand the fascination with Mitchell. Mitchell on the 3rd line over Feds? In the line-up over Rupp? He's an excellent fill-in, but 4th line is as high as he should play. Actually, he should come out of the line-up right now, so that Wolski can either add offense to this team or show that he's healthy enough to be traded. If a forward is acquired without any of the current starters going the other way, Mitchell is the one who'll get a sit in the press-box. He's a decent player, solid defensively and on the forecheck, but from a purely hockey standpoint, had other things been equal, I'd still prefer Avery on the team over Mitchell.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:20 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebear View Post

Rupp - Boyle - Prust

If I were to go by your lines I'd just swap Dubi for Wolski.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:27 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
If I were to go by your lines I'd just swap Dubi for Wolski.
I think the problem there is that WW doesn't play defence like AA and Dubi do, which could make that line suspect in their own zone.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dubi on the 1st and WW on the 2nd for a few games.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 05:01 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Feds - Stepan - Gaborik
Wolski - Richards - Hagelin
Dubi - Anisimov - Cally
Rupp - Boyle - Prust
My initial reaction: You're out of your god damn mind

After a moment's hesitation: I see what you're looking to do, but maintain that you're out of your mind. But that's for the whole Gaborik thing. BTW, credit for typing his name without taking a shot at him.

I can see how Feds' board play could be seen as a plus, but his passing isn't ideal, nor is his defense, but even more so his speed.

The 2nd line is the one that I'd focus on more. I see the idea of extending our scoring into 3 full lines, making our first line last year our 3rd line this year. I think it's a bad idea taking Cally off of Richards' wing, and at the moment, the same goes for Dubi. I agree with Torts, having an intense, grinding winger seems to open up space for Richie to play his game, and it's allowing Cally to infuse skill into his game.

I like the 4th.

If i were to try something

Wolski-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubi-Rich-Cally
Feds/Mitch-Artie-Hagelin
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

The top line plays the least grinding, cycling sort of game, which maximizes the game we'll get from Wolski. His size is good along the boards, and he was playing more physical before he got injured. Allows us to move Artie to 3rd line center.

That 2nd line is ripping **** apart right now, even off the scoreboard. I wouldn't touch it.

The 3rd line left wing is a bit tougher. Feds is a solid over all player, but I'm not sure where his place is on this team. He had a good run with Cally and Richie, but after taking them away from them, he's failed to make an impact.

Mitch, I don't know. He looks like he's SO VERY close to putting his game together in a massive way. But he's also had this M.O. for a while.

To me, these two are in competition for the spot. I don't know who's got the edge, but I'm not sure if Feds get's brought back next year.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 05:03 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I think the problem there is that WW doesn't play defence like AA and Dubi do, which could make that line suspect in their own zone.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dubi on the 1st and WW on the 2nd for a few games.
Good point.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 06:04 AM
msv957

This team signed Richards to be the #1 center on a line with Gaborik. Let the 2 stars play on the same line ( Richards and Gaborik)

Stepan can center the 2nd line with Callahan and either AA or Dubinsky

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 06:25 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
This team signed Richards to be the #1 center on a line with Gaborik. Let the 2 stars play on the same line ( Richards and Gaborik)

Stepan can center the 2nd line with Callahan and either AA or Dubinsky
Torts said on HBO 24/7 that after a couple of practices in camp he didn't like Gabs with Richards at all and didn't think it would work. I don't see him putting those 2 together unless something drastic happens. I'd leave the top 2 lines alone for now. Play Feds with Rupp and Prust. Try Wolski with Hags and Boyle. Hags and WW have the skill to help each other offensively, Boyle provides defensive responsibility and physical presence for the line.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Vitto79

well in the end I think Wolski is going to be moved out anyways. I want them to give the guy a chance but things are going so well he likely wont fit unless lets say Dubi is out 2nite and WW lights it up ........then good for him he earned some time in the top 6

they are going to make a move at the deadline. It may be Rutuu or Whitney, something like that but many teams will be looking to make that move

something small if Buffalo is still out of it could be Gaustad. That would bump Mitchell to spare. Again WW out for a pick somewhere

Anisimov, Stepan, Gaborik
Dubinsky, Richards, Callahan
Hagelin, Gaustad, Fedotenko
Rupp, Boyle, Prust
Mitchell

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:52 AM
MSG the place to be*

Shootouts:

1 Feds
2 Richards
3 Stepan...
16 Gaborik
17 Callahan
18 Anisimov

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

Dubinsky/Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik
Fedetenko/Zuccarello - Richards - Callahan
Hagelin - Anisimov/Dubinsky - Zuccarello/Fedetenko
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:33 AM
jniklast

Richards+Cally and Gaborik+Stepan finally give us two legitimate scoring lines and that has carried us. Our bottom-6 has regressed a lot compared to last year though.

Last year the 4th line of Feds-Boyle-Prust probably outscored our complete current bottom-6. The problem obviously is, that both Prust and especially Boyle have taken a huge step back (regression to the mean was expected, but their offensive output this season is disappointing) but for a deep playoff run I think it needs to be fixed. So what options do we have?

1. Boyle and Prust miraculously turn it on offensively and solve their struggles.

2. Should Wolski play decent with Richards, that would mean we could put an improving Dubi back to the 3rd line. Together with Hagelin and fedotenko (to an extent) we'd have three good and productive players on the 3rd line.

3. Demote Anisimov from the Gaborik line. I don't like that too much. The GAS line has proven to be a reliable scoring line showing up nearly every game. Removing Anisimov might mess with that.

4. We can acquire a player to either replace Anisimov or Dubinsky in the top-6 or we acquire a good player for our bottom-6. A veteran 3rd line center that can score and win facoffs would certainly help this team.

1 and 2 require players to step up, we can't control that. I don't like 3 so I hope that 4 might happen at the deadline. The way our defense has played, I think that an upgrade to our bottom-6 is more important than a veteran defenseman.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote