HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2 Things...

Old
02-08-2012, 06:04 AM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
2 Things...

1. Don't most teams in the NHL have set lines for the most part? Do the line jumbling during practice... How does Torts expect the guys to get comfortable playing with each other and get better at setting up plays together iN A GAME SITUATION if he doesn't have faith and let them ride it out together?

2. Dump and chase = Lame attempt at gaining the offensive zone. Why won't Torts let the guys carry the puck into the zone at least SOME of the time. When we dump it, we are effectively turning the puck over and hoping we can win it back. This doesn't sound like the type of offensive strategy that should be your "go-to move".

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Trxjw: 02-08-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary prefix
Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:04 AM
allstar3970

The idea that every other team's lines are way way more stable than ours is a fallacy.

As for dumping and chasing, it's a necessary strategy when so many teams utilize a form of neutral zone trap.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:22 AM
GloveSave35

I definitely understand the necessity of the dump and chase at times. However, I do think we tend to get a bit lazy and revert to it at unnecessary times. It happened a lot last year. This year, the team seemed to be better at selectively dumping the puck into the zone rather than having that be the first instinct. Last night was scary. Looked a lot like last year...

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
GAGLine

1. Every coach changes lines when the lines aren't working. Torts kept the GAS line together for many games until it went a stretch where it wasn't producing. In game, he is going to do whatever he can to get the team going. It shouldn't take 82 games of playing together for the players to establish chemistry. That's what practice is for.

2. Torts isn't telling them to dump and chase. He's telling them not to turn it over at the blue line. Big difference. When the other team stands up at the blue line, you don't have much choice but to dump it in. If you try to carry it in, odds are you will lose the puck.

The reason we dump and chase so much is because we struggle with our transition game. When we aren't playing well in the neutral zone, we end up having to go 200 feet every time and the opposing team is able to set up their defense.

When we are playing well in the neutral zone, we are getting turn overs and quickly attacking the offensive zone. That allows us to carry the puck in instead of dumping and chasing.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:37 AM
keLtic9

Why do fans think they know more about a team than the actual coaches... That will always blow my mind.

This team is competing for the Presidents Trophy... Whatever the coaches are doing, it's working.

People need to sit back and enjoy what is happening here.

keLtic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:57 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by keLtic9 View Post
Why do fans think they know more about a team than the actual coaches... That will always blow my mind.

This team is competing for the Presidents Trophy... Whatever the coaches are doing, it's working.

Normally I would agree but the PP is obviously not working. This team may be competing for the presidents trophy but the NEED to get the PP working. I'm sure the team knows this and i'm sure Torts knows this. Imagine how good this team would be with a PP that was even 10th or 11th in the league.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:59 AM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave35 View Post
I definitely understand the necessity of the dump and chase at times. However, I do think we tend to get a bit lazy and revert to it at unnecessary times. It happened a lot last year. This year, the team seemed to be better at selectively dumping the puck into the zone rather than having that be the first instinct. Last night was scary. Looked a lot like last year...
Last night we dumped and then didn't chase. We didn't go after the puck effectively enough. Guys seemed slower getting there, and often times there were 2 Devs on one Ranger and we didn't win the puck. I don't know if they were tired or what, but we've been winning those battles all year. Yesterday we just weren't..not until the 3rd. So there you go. I don't think the dump/chase/forecheck strategy is bad just because we lost a game 1-0(that should have at least gone to OT)...you don't get to #2 in the NHL without a sound strat. You can't forget that. Yea the offense has been down recently but we are 3 points up on Boston and just behind Det with games in hand(at least up until yesterday haven't checked the standings today).

So yea, yesterday was frustrating...but let's not blow it out of proportion. And even with our struggles recently we've still done really well.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:10 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Last night we dumped and then didn't chase. We didn't go after the puck effectively enough. Guys seemed slower getting there, and often times there were 2 Devs on one Ranger and we didn't win the puck. I don't know if they were tired or what, but we've been winning those battles all year. Yesterday we just weren't..not until the 3rd. So there you go. I don't think the dump/chase/forecheck strategy is bad just because we lost a game 1-0(that should have at least gone to OT)...you don't get to #2 in the NHL without a sound strat. You can't forget that. Yea the offense has been down recently but we are 3 points up on Boston and just behind Det with games in hand(at least up until yesterday haven't checked the standings today).

So yea, yesterday was frustrating...but let's not blow it out of proportion. And even with our struggles recently we've still done really well.
The problem last night with the dump and chase is that Brodeur is so good at playing the puck that he stops most of them and than sends the puck out of the zone. They started getting better in the 3rd because they finally started dumping the puck into the corners where Brodeur cant play it.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
keLtic9

Yes, the PP is quite awful. If they were even average, between 14th and 17th, this team would be even more dominant.

However, the PP does show life and Richards has been able to control the play most nights but people don't finish. Too much inconsistency from certain players is what is going to be the problem come Playoff time.

A perfect example was the two plays right on Dubi's stick right in front of a wide open net last night.. and he missed them both. That frustrates me more than our "dump and chase strategy" and our "line combo mix-ups."

Old
02-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anyone have the stat on how many PP's we have as compared to other teams in the league? Where are we in the mix?

Seems to me that we don't get many PP opportunities most nights. Of course that could be pure homerism on my part.

02-08-2012, 09:30 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Yes, the PP is quite awful. If they were even average, between 14th and 17th, this team would be even more dominant.

However, the PP does show life and Richards has been able to control the play most nights but people don't finish. Too much inconsistency from certain players is what is going to be the problem come Playoff time.

A perfect example was the two plays right on Dubi's stick right in front of a wide open net last night.. and he missed them both. That frustrates me more than our "dump and chase strategy" and our "line combo mix-ups."
We must be watching different games because I havent seen Richards controlling the play much at all the last 20+ games.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:34 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Does anyone have the stat on how many PP's we have as compared to other teams in the league? Where are we in the mix?

Seems to me that we don't get many PP opportunities most nights. Of course that could be pure homerism on my part.
They're tied for 18th with 176 PP opportunities. Philly is 1st with 236 so they pretty much get 1 more PP per game than the Rangers.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:40 AM
keLtic9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
We must be watching different games because I havent seen Richards controlling the play much at all the last 20+ games.
You're looking at the stat sheet. The last 5-8 games he has been having great shifts but nothing is coming from them. Dubi has been on his line for the most part and he is always a 1/2 second behind. Both Dubi and Cally like to have control of the puck and then shoot whereas others can use finesse moves and finish directly from a pass.
Richards loves to put the puck on players sticks and have them finish, that has always been what he has been great at.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Why is this thread not merged, but my PP post which was a new idea that had nothing to do with the generic PP discussion (whining) going on in the PP thread was moved there?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:

But we lost yesterday!

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 09:52 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
You're looking at the stat sheet. The last 5-8 games he has been having great shifts but nothing is coming from them. Dubi has been on his line for the most part and he is always a 1/2 second behind. Both Dubi and Cally like to have control of the puck and then shoot whereas others can use finesse moves and finish directly from a pass.
Richards loves to put the puck on players sticks and have them finish, that has always been what he has been great at.
Im not looking at the stat sheet, i'm watching him on my TV and he's made a few good plays in the last 20 games. Its not like hes serving up perfect passes on a nightly basis and guys just arent finishing. If that was the case I dont think Torts would be playing him with 4th liners

Old
02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
keLtic9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
But we lost yesterday!
Too funny, but so true.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:39 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

I think a huge problem with dump & chase when facing the Devils is how active Marty is in playing the puck. That is where Torts has to adjust his strategy...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote