HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Gretzky offered to Vancouver

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2004, 06:41 PM
  #1
Shane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,974
vCash: 500
Gretzky offered to Vancouver

Brian Burke said on TSN tonight that before Gretzky was traded to Los Angeles, he was offered to Vancouver for three first round picks, 15 million dollars, Greg Adams, and another player.

Wow. Depending on who that other player was, I'd probably have done that trade in a heartbeat. It's a lot of money, but I feel the benefits would have far outweighed the cost. Assuming the three first rounders were 1990, 1991, and 1992, we'd have missed out on the amazing trio of Shawn Antoski, Alex Stojanov, and Libor Polasek. Sure, without Stojanov we might not have Naslund today, but man, could you imagine Gretzky on the 1994 team? I think I could comfortably say that the New York Rangers would still be dreading their cupless-streak to this day.

Shane is offline  
Old
10-13-2004, 06:47 PM
  #2
Impossibles
Registered User
 
Impossibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Langley, BC
Country: British Antarctic Territory
Posts: 6,446
vCash: 500
I have a hard time taking that at face value.

I can't remember who owned the kings at the time (the guy who went to jail for tax fraud), but he said he pursued Gretz, not that Gretz was being shopped around.

Peter Pocklington was looking for the most cash he could get for Wayne, not the best trade.

Impossibles is offline  
Old
10-13-2004, 06:52 PM
  #3
Shane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
I have a hard time taking that at face value.

I can't remember who owned the kings at the time (the guy who went to jail for tax fraud), but he said he pursued Gretz, not that Gretz was being shopped around.

Peter Pocklington was looking for the most cash he could get for Wayne, not the best trade.
That's true as well, but I'm sure after LA approached Edmonton, and Edmonton decided to trade Gretzky, he was undoubtedly shopped around. There's no way Edmonton only talked to LA. Sure they might have offered a lot, but it'd be absolutely stupid if Edmonton didn't shop Gretzky around to see if they could get even more.

Shane is offline  
Old
10-13-2004, 06:53 PM
  #4
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
I have a hard time taking that at face value.

I can't remember who owned the kings at the time (the guy who went to jail for tax fraud), but he said he pursued Gretz, not that Gretz was being shopped around.

Peter Pocklington was looking for the most cash he could get for Wayne, not the best trade.
Not true. Gretzky was being shopped. If I remember right it came down to Detroit or Los Angeles (after Vancouver and a couple other teams were ruled out) and Gretzky chose LA. He had a tough time because Detroit was his favourite team, but he thought he could do the most for the game in LA.

Reign Nateo is offline  
Old
10-13-2004, 07:20 PM
  #5
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Gretzky in his prime, with a young Bure on his wing would have been a beautiful thing to watch... impossible to say though whether they'd win the 94 Cup though cause with Gretzky there in 90, the team might not have made that trade with St. Louis in 91, which really changed the face of our team.

even when Gretzky hit free agency, he did want to come to Vancouver, and was close to a deal before signing with the Rangers...

NFITO is offline  
Old
10-13-2004, 07:35 PM
  #6
Shane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,974
vCash: 500
Wow, a young Bure playing alongside Gretzky. How many goals do you think he could have scored? 70? 80?

Shane is offline  
Old
10-13-2004, 08:04 PM
  #7
BB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bahrain
Country: Bahrain
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
TSN also talked about that on a documentry that they made about Grez right after he retired. Vancouver was in the running, but in the end LA gave more money, i believe. Also Van was in the running for him the time he left for St. Louis too, from what i remember they were were saying on the special...but don't hold me too this..

BB is offline  
Old
10-13-2004, 11:07 PM
  #8
nucks2win
Registered User
 
nucks2win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
The only rumour I remember about that was contingent on Nelson Skalbania buying the Canucks and making the deal.
Later when Quinn was GM we almost signed him as an UFA - the reasons why that didn't happen seem to depend on which media personality you listen to....

nucks2win is offline  
Old
10-13-2004, 11:10 PM
  #9
Avery4Byng*
 
Avery4Byng*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ktown
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
TSN also talked about that on a documentry that they made about Grez right after he retired. Vancouver was in the running, but in the end LA gave more money, i believe. Also Van was in the running for him the time he left for St. Louis too, from what i remember they were were saying on the special...but don't hold me too this..
I dont have much to say on this topic..... But man that is the best avatar ever!!! Babs was the man.

Avery4Byng* is offline  
Old
10-13-2004, 11:57 PM
  #10
CoolDude*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
I think I could comfortably say that the New York Rangers would still be dreading their cupless-streak to this day.
If Gretzky couldn't get LA a cup he wouldn't be able to get Vancouver a cup.

CoolDude* is offline  
Old
10-14-2004, 01:05 AM
  #11
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
If Gretzky couldn't get LA a cup he wouldn't be able to get Vancouver a cup.

And you say this because? A Gretkzy-less Canucks team made it just as far as the '93 Kings who were led by the Great One. Add Gretzky to that '94 Canucks team, and without a doubt, they would've been an improved team.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
10-14-2004, 03:45 AM
  #12
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
hate to break it to you---but that rumour is 1000% correct--been published in books and reported in the media when Wayne quit

the comment that sticks out in my mind is

'they would have had me selling season tix in a mall or grocery store'

google the scenereo--I am sure that there is a few articles mentioning the trade offer.

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
10-14-2004, 01:11 PM
  #13
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
I have a hard time taking that at face value.

I can't remember who owned the kings at the time (the guy who went to jail for tax fraud), but he said he pursued Gretz, not that Gretz was being shopped around.

Peter Pocklington was looking for the most cash he could get for Wayne, not the best trade.
he was offered a percentage of the canucks as well - kings owner - bruce mcnall -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-14-2004, 02:30 PM
  #14
canucks666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,294
vCash: 500
the "other" player was probably nobody important hence burke didn't mention him.


however you can't just go back in time like this and have everything ELSE work out similarly.

The 94 team wasn't that great. They had great depth and great chemistry. But they made it so far because of how much they loved playing with each other and how much they cared for one another, but courtnall, gelinas, ronning, etc aren't hall-of famers by any stretch of imagination.


Though imagining Gretzky centering Bure would be unbelievable, I would bet even money that that team wouldn't have even made it to the stanley cup final.

And hell - maybe we would never even have drafted bure. THe butterfly effect is very strong.

canucks666 is offline  
Old
10-14-2004, 03:18 PM
  #15
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks666
the "other" player was probably nobody important hence burke didn't mention him.


however you can't just go back in time like this and have everything ELSE work out similarly.

The 94 team wasn't that great. They had great depth and great chemistry. But they made it so far because of how much they loved playing with each other and how much they cared for one another, but courtnall, gelinas, ronning, etc aren't hall-of famers by any stretch of imagination.


Though imagining Gretzky centering Bure would be unbelievable, I would bet even money that that team wouldn't have even made it to the stanley cup final.

And hell - maybe we would never even have drafted bure. THe butterfly effect is very strong.
one thing I miss about that 94 team was the passion they showed for the city, the team and each other when they hit the ice in the playoffs.

there were quite a few local boys on that team, and those guys, like Ronning and Courtnall, played with a passion level that I have not seen in our team overall since then.

right now we have Cooke, Linden, a couple others really that wear their hearts on their sleeve and look as if they actually bleed canuck colours out there every time they hit the ice... that 94 team in the playoffs had Ronning, Courtnall, Adams, Linden, and others that all took their passion levels up a notch - and it rubbed off on everyone... you could see how much they cared about the team and about each other.... I miss that about our team, and hopefully one day we'll have that back... our team today is more talented overall IMO... our depth overall is better right now too... what we sorely lack which that team had (minus a Vezina candidate goalie) is heart... our teams since then, IMO, haven't come close to matching that level we saw in the 94 playoffs.

NFITO is offline  
Old
10-14-2004, 04:34 PM
  #16
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
And you say this because? A Gretkzy-less Canucks team made it just as far as the '93 Kings who were led by the Great One. Add Gretzky to that '94 Canucks team, and without a doubt, they would've been an improved team.
Yeah, but you're forgetting how instrumental Greg Adams was on the run, and we wouldn't have had him

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline  
Old
10-14-2004, 04:38 PM
  #17
Waveburner
RIP Luc
 
Waveburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In Morrison's house.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Yeah, but you're forgetting how instrumental Greg Adams was on the run, and we wouldn't have had him
Greg Adams is the man. People still forget that Bure wouldn't have had a chance to win it if Adams hadn't tied it. One of the best Canucks ever!

Waveburner is offline  
Old
10-14-2004, 10:08 PM
  #18
Eddie Vedder
Registered User
 
Eddie Vedder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 500
i met greg adams at a local charity game in grade 6 or 7
he signed my shirt, and 3 hockey cards between periods, and told me some stuff i dont remebre
very very nice guy, very classy guy.

He score like 6 goals that game too.

Eddie Vedder is offline  
Old
10-14-2004, 10:22 PM
  #19
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Greg Adams is the man. People still forget that Bure wouldn't have had a chance to win it if Adams hadn't tied it. One of the best Canucks ever!
GUS!!!!!!

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-17-2004, 06:52 PM
  #20
PhillyNucksFan
Registered User
 
PhillyNucksFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
Gretzky in his prime, with a young Bure on his wing would have been a beautiful thing to watch...

That would DEFINITELY match up Lemieux/Jagr tenure........

god.........

oh well..

a nice thought nevertheless..

PhillyNucksFan is offline  
Old
10-17-2004, 08:17 PM
  #21
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNucksFan
That would DEFINITELY match up Lemieux/Jagr tenure........

god.........

oh well..

a nice thought nevertheless..
who knows maybe 20 years from now, our kids will be saying - Daniel playing the wing with Henrik down the middle - must've been a beautiful thing to watch

NFITO is offline  
Old
10-17-2004, 09:48 PM
  #22
PhillyNucksFan
Registered User
 
PhillyNucksFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
who knows maybe 20 years from now, our kids will be saying - Daniel playing the wing with Henrik down the middle - must've been a beautiful thing to watch

err.. man.. please.. i must remind you. i am still YOUNGGGGGGG......... I dont want to think about what I am going to tell my grand children about Sedins. .haha..

(i think I'd exaggerate a bit and say.. Sedins were strong inthe corners and never got pushed aruond even though they were relatively small-built.. hahah. )

But I'd definitely have a Linden Legacy story.. about how great he was when he was a canuck and how proud i am to have cheered for the nucks while Linden was the captain.

PhillyNucksFan is offline  
Old
10-17-2004, 10:03 PM
  #23
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Not true. Gretzky was being shopped. If I remember right it came down to Detroit or Los Angeles (after Vancouver and a couple other teams were ruled out) and Gretzky chose LA. He had a tough time because Detroit was his favourite team, but he thought he could do the most for the game in LA.

Yeah, and i was "doing my best for the science" when I repeated grade 11 math. Gretzky was doing what all men eventually learn- you go and do what your boss tells you- and heaven help you if youre dumb enough to argue with her.

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.