HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you react if Gauthier traded Subban ?

Old
01-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Pleky Roks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Lets see:

22 years old
Playing top minutes on the team, against other team's best line
Even in plus/minus
Struggling offensively in a sophomore slump but still on pace for around 35 pts, however has potential to be a dynamic offensive player.

You don't trade this for anything less than a gigantic overpayment... you just dont.

Subban should be part of the core we build around. People forget how much Price struggled in his 2nd/3rd years in the league.

Shea Weber is the only player that would be an acceptable return for Subban...IMO!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
Shea Weber is the only player that would be an acceptable return for Subban...IMO!!
This. Maybe an extended Suter. Acquiring dmen of that caliber are like finding 6'4 centers who put up ppg numbers every year... rare, expensive and difficult to acquire.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
Yes and no.

If it's just 1 for 1 with no strings I think it's too risky. Weber can come here for a year then leave as a UFA, same as Getzlaf.

I don't like the idea of trading core assets for 1 year of a player no matter how much of an impact it is. If we can negotiate an extension at a reasonable amount(6.5-7.25 mil for 6-7 years) then fine.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Its kind of a non issue because the chances of him getting traded are so miniscule. Look for moen gill and campoli to move.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Hugo Sham

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/20...-p-k-subban-2/

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Someone who gets it. Thankfully. PK is 3 or 4 years away from his prime. Imagine the guy in his prime. Yeah, he makes mistakes, blind passes, causes a stir, but he'll be better than Chelios if coaching/management do [I]their[I] job in developing him. Put this kid on the Red Wings today, and he probably becomes top 5 dman in the league in a few years.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:30 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
TonyMarinaro Tony Marinaro
Last week I said PK Subban was being "shopped". @Real_ESPNLeBrun just said on RDS' le 5a7 that 1 NHL team just told him Subban is available.
If this is true, can we hold a "Fire Pierre Gauthier" rally? At least that rally would make sense.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
If this is true, can we hold a "Fire Pierre Gauthier" rally? At least that rally would make sense.
If he is available this team is flushing itself down the toilet. Unless the return is an equal dman +, why would they even make him available? Shea Weber + the rights to Radulov coming back, sure. I hope it's not true.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:35 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Would be a huge mistake to move Subban.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:38 PM
ekof232

vCash: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Someone who gets it. Thankfully. PK is 3 or 4 years away from his prime. Imagine the guy in his prime. Yeah, he makes mistakes, blind passes, causes a stir, but he'll be better than Chelios if coaching/management do [I]their[I] job in developing him. Put this kid on the Red Wings today, and he probably becomes top 5 dman in the league in a few years.
You sir have never seen Chelios in his prime. The guy was an unbelievably dominant defenseman in his prime and for a time was 'king of the mountain' as far as defensemen go (and that's against MacInnis, Pronger, Lidstrom, Leetch, Langway, Blake to a lesser extent and many other great defensemen).

Every night he battled the opposition's top players and would at times completely shut them out, make them pay with his physical (albeit dirty) play, and create offense in bunches. He could do it all and then some.

I can see what you were trying to say while writing that statement and I understand the logic behind it, but I don't think Subban will ever reach that high of a level. I'm not bashing Subban in the least while saying this, I personnally think he's awesome and has great overall potential as a two-way defender, but I just don't think he's quite as good (or has as much potential) as you would like him to be.

ekof232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekof232 View Post
You sir have never seen Chelios in his prime. The guy was an unbelievably dominant defenseman in his prime and for a time was 'king of the mountain' as far as defensemen go (and that's against MacInnis, Pronger, Lidstrom, Leetch, Langway, Blake to a lesser extent and many other great defensemen).

Every night he battled the opposition's top players and would at times completely shut them out, make them pay with his physical (albeit dirty) play, and create offense in bunches. He could do it all and then some.

I can see what you were trying to say while writing that statement and I understand the logic behind it, but I don't think Subban will ever reach that high of a level. I'm not bashing Subban in the least while saying this, I personnally think he's awesome and has great overall potential as a two-way defender, but I just don't think he's quite as good as you would like him to be.
That's what PK does now. Plays the top opposition every night. And if not for his own occasional blunder, his own giveaways, he'd be shutting down the opposition at an even higher level than he is now. The giveaway in Pittsburgh is a correctable, self-inflicted mistake. Take those out of his game, which can be done, and you have a guy on his way to being as good, and I'll say better than Chelios. Chelios at 22 didn't look like Chelios at 28, difference, and that's my point. PK at 28 will not look like PK at 22, he'll be much, much better, and as it is he's playing really well right now on a below average defence group.

I've seen Chelios and see the similarities, and see how we traded him away because Schneider was in the system. Chelios' flaws on and off the ice were much more reprehensible than PK's are now. Dealing him away was a mistake, let's not repeat that.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:49 PM
shao01

Subban is available...for anyone with no less than the value of a resigned Suter.

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
The only way I accept a Subban trade is if it addresses our biggest need. A big, young (not past his prime is sufficient), superstar center.
This. Personally, I think Subban is going through a sophmore slump, and most other GM's are well aware of that, meaning his stock hasn't gone down much, if at all. In the great scheme of things, Beaulieu projects to be better than Subban at just about everything, and since they play basically the exact same style, maybe Subban is slightly expendable.

All that said, i would not trade him unless it's part of a package deal for someone like Getslaf. When you trade someone like Subban, it's to get another star-potential player or an established star.

To a lesser extent, I'd also be okay with Goligoski-Neal type trade. Goligoski and Subban are pretty similar. talent and star-potential wise. Find me an equvalent of Neal at center, and i'd probably do that trade, or at least consider it.

At that point it would be a no-brainer to use our first rounder on a D again.

Of course all this is very hypothetical. It would be much simpler (and probably smarter) to just ride out the year, collect some picks at the trade deadline, and get ready for next season.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:29 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
No, it's not true. Marinaro completely misunderstood LeBrun's interview.

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:29 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Would be a huge mistake to move Subban.
Agreed...I just don't see anyone overpaying enough for PG to do it...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
That's what PK does now. Plays the top opposition every night. And if not for his own occasional blunder, his own giveaways, he'd be shutting down the opposition at an even higher level than he is now. The giveaway in Pittsburgh is a correctable, self-inflicted mistake. Take those out of his game, which can be done, and you have a guy on his way to being as good, and I'll say better than Chelios. Chelios at 22 didn't look like Chelios at 28, difference, and that's my point. PK at 28 will not look like PK at 22, he'll be much, much better, and as it is he's playing really well right now on a below average defence group.

I've seen Chelios and see the similarities, and see how we traded him away because Schneider was in the system. Chelios' flaws on and off the ice were much more reprehensible than PK's are now. Dealing him away was a mistake, let's not repeat that.
Chelios was traded because of his off ice habits, had nothing to do with Schneider, and they thought they could correct the Wickenheiser-Savard mistake.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:45 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekof232 View Post

I can see what you were trying to say while writing that statement and I understand the logic behind it, but I don't think Subban will ever reach that high of a level. I'm not bashing Subban in the least while saying this, I personnally think he's awesome and has great overall potential as a two-way defender, but I just don't think he's quite as good (or has as much potential) as you would like him to be.
You sir have never seen Subban in his prime. Actually none of us have because he's only 22 and will become tons better.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:08 PM
shutehinside

To clarify the entire "PK is available" twitter chatter, here's a synopsis.

Tony boasted on twitter just now that:
“@TonyMarinaro: Last week I said PK Subban was being "shopped". @Real_ESPNLeBrun just said on RDS' le 5a7 that 1 NHL team just told him Subban is available.”

To which Lebun clarified:

“@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Clarifying my mangled french from RDS hit: in talking to several teams today, NONE of them had heard Subban's name as being available(Con't)”

“@Real_ESPNLeBrun: but what I said on RDS was that one team suggested it might be a possibility.... But they had not talked to Montreal.”

Feel like a ****** much Tony.

Funny thing is I used to like him until he tried to prove to everyone how right he always is about everything and never owns up when he's wrong. Nice to see a little pie oh is face. Hopefully it'll make him. Little more humble and more tolerable.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:09 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

if it's anything close to the Johnson for Shattenkirk/Stewart deal, I'm all for it.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
if it's anything close to the Johnson for Shattenkirk/Stewart deal, I'm all for it.
That's what I said.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Chelios was traded because of his off ice habits, had nothing to do with Schneider, and they thought they could correct the Wickenheiser-Savard mistake.
They didn't trade him because of Schneider, no, but having Schneider came in to play as to whether or not they could overcome the hole on defence they'd be creating.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:40 PM
MXD

If we can get some CONSIDERABLE PAYMENT IN THE FORM OF FUTURES, I'd react well.

If not, well, he's an incompetent and will remain an incompetent.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:45 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
They didn't trade him because of Schneider, no, but having Schneider came in to play as to whether or not they could overcome the hole on defence they'd be creating.
It was bad trading away Chelios but then it got much worse when they traded both Schneider and Desjardin. Desjardin was really bad because it included LeClair for that Dr idiot guy.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:49 PM
sheed36

I was just listening to TSN's John Lu and I don't understand what PG being in NY and LA lately as to do with trading PK like he was alluding to..

The smallest most insignificant things about PK Subban gets magnified to epic proportions by everyone in the NHL.. Just leave the guy alone and let him play hockey..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Why would lebrun even mention anything? Nobody told him that subban is avail but somebody said subban might be avail?

Well... thanks for the newsflash there

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote