HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathias Brunet Worries Gauthier Still Allowed to Make Trades

Old
01-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Hugo Sham

vCash: 500
Mathias Brunet Worries Gauthier Still Allowed to Make Trades

'worries'; apologies, can't correct spelling in title threads.
discuss:

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/20...hier-magasine/

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Andy

If you want the habs to be sellers, you kind of need to allow your GM to make trades.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:16 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

late to the party Mat.

Pretty much all the other covering the Habs already mentionned how bad they think PG is.

Well, at least you tried, good luck with your next article.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Asgalus

He is worried because Gauthier is SHOPPING !!! not because he is allowed to make trades...but because from the info he got, Gauthier is buying and is still working to improve the team and get a playoff spot!!

your title should be : Mathias Brunet wories: Gauthier is a buyer and is shopping around

Asgalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Go Habs Go

What is with Montreal's media and their need to trash people to get readers? I'm not defending Gauthier but enough is enough, how many times a day do they have to cram this trash down our throats? We get it! The team is not winning, you don't like Gauthier! How about being a little creative with your writing?

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
TheBuriedHab

When PG brought the trade for Kaberle to Molson, he should have fired him on the spot. The whole organization is delusional.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If you want the habs to be sellers, you kind of need to allow your GM to make trades.
I think what everyone (myself included) is afraid of, is Gauthier trading for a player as if we were a contender.

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:20 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
What is with Montreal's media and their need to trash people to get readers? I'm not defending Gauthier but enough is enough, how many times a day do they have to cram this trash down our throats? We get it! The team is not winning, you don't like Gauthier!
dont expect any better for next few weeks...

all you'll hear/read is a gazillion trade rumors, negative opinion about PG and rumors about who's going to be our next GM/coach...

Old
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Totally agree Andy but think about this

If Molson knows he will can Pierre Gauthier at the end of this season then why on earth does he still want him there making moves especially at this time of the year? The GM that is going to come in might not like his moves or players he picked up and then are going to have to start all over with the new GM's direction. what does that mean, another 3-4-5 years of being mediocre

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I actually like his trades and signings this year minus the Kabs one. DO NOT however let him trade away young guys or high picks. Only vets and low picks. Also no more taking on Kaberle's.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:24 PM
MathMan

I'm equally worried with the notion that trading Plekanec is a good idea because the Habs have too many centers and he's got the most value.

I'm really curious, and more than a little worried, about what happens next, but the Habs' few seller moves have generally been good to awesome (Rivet for Gorges + 1st!)

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:28 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Totally agree Andy but think about this

If Molson knows he will can Pierre Gauthier at the end of this season then why on earth does he still want him there making moves especially at this time of the year? The GM that is going to come in might not like his moves or players he picked up and then are going to have to start all over with the new GM's direction. what does that mean, another 3-4-5 years of being mediocre
So what do you guys want? Keep Gauthier for now and let him make trades, or make no trades but fire Gauthier at the end of the year and let his successor start fresh (but lose out on all the assets we could gain by selling now)?

You can't have it both ways.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:29 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
So what do you guys want? Keep Gauthier and make trades, or make no trades but fire Gauthier at the end of the year and let his successor start fresh?

Hire somebody to oversee our assets until the end of the year, then totally clean house.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:31 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Hire somebody to oversee our assets until the end of the year, then totally clean house.
so we keep Gill, AK, Moen and the other UFA and let them walk on July 1st ?

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Like who? And who's to say that somebody is going to be any better than the job Gauthier's doing?

And who's going to take this job with a guaranteed 2.5 months of job security? And how are we going to find someone on such short notice?

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
So what do you guys want? Keep Gauthier for now and let him make trades, or make no trades but fire Gauthier at the end of the year and let his successor start fresh?

If Molson is going to fire Gauthier at the end of the season, I would much rather he does it next week over the ASG weekend.

If you make him make the moves this year and let him built the team the way he wants it, might as well keep him for next year and so on

Old
01-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Brunet is one of my favourite hockey writers but he is totally biased, negatively, regarding the work of Gauthier. If you agree with him when he mentioned that Gauthier should receive a large chunk of the blame for the Ribeiro/Niinimaa trade or the Gomez fiasco (brain dead moves by GAINEY), I guess you are also defending Réjean Houle regarding the Patrick Roy trade.

I mean... it is not like GMs have the final word eh?

Gauthier made some very solid moves during his 1 ½ year's tenure with Montreal:

The acquisition of Bournival, shipping out an overpriced, high octane pouting smurf for a 2nd round pick + Bourque + a prospect, offering a contract to White but not to Pyatt, sticking with Price instead of Halak, the acquisition of Eller and Schultz, convincing Emelin to cross the ocean, promising drafts (Beaulieu, Pribyl, Tinordi, Gallagher...), Cole's signature...

His downfall could be the Markov's signing though. GAWD our current NHL D squad is awful! Hamrlik Where Art Thou?

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Like who? And who's to say that somebody is going to be any better than the job Gauthier's doing?
We don't know if the next GM is going to be better but he would be building the team with his vision and wouldn't have to take over a team which he doesn't think is that

Old
01-20-2012, 12:33 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I'd rather Molson keeps Gauthier is kind of a "Cliff Fletcher" role unless he plans on him being back next year, just let him get rid of veterans/UFAs who won't be back next year for picks and don't let him trade any of our young guys or take on any more salary.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm equally worried with the notion that trading Plekanec is a good idea because the Habs have too many centers and he's got the most value.
We should lobby Plekanec to use his NTC, save the organization from itself!

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:36 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
We don't know if the next GM is going to be better but he would be building the team with his vision and wouldn't have to take over a team which he doesn't think is that
I believe nittany is suggesting hiring someone in between Gauthier and our next GM, to manage the team basically from now until the end of the year.

If we have a GM all lined up and ready to be hired, then I agree, he should be given the reins immediately. But I don't think that's the case (and teams rarely hire new GMs in the middle of a season anyway).

Old
01-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Brunet is one of my favourite hockey writers but he is totally biased, negatively, regarding the work of Gauthier. If you agree with him when he mentioned that Gauthier should receive a large chunk of the blame for the Ribeiro/Niinimaa trade or the Gomez fiasco (brain dead moves by GAINEY), I guess you are also defending Réjean Houle regarding the Patrick Roy trade.

I mean... it is not like GMs have the final word eh?

Gauthier made some very solid moves during his 1 ½ year's tenure with Montreal:

The acquisition of Bournival, shipping out an overpriced, high octane pouting smurf for a 2nd round pick + Bourque + a prospect, offering a contract to White but not to Pyatt, sticking with Price instead of Halak, the acquisition of Eller and Schultz, convincing Emelin to cross the ocean, promising drafts (Beaulieu, Pribyl, Tinordi, Gallagher...), Cole's signature...

His downfall could be the Markov's signing though. GAWD our current NHL D squad is awful! Hamrlik Where Art Thou?

end of Feb is coming ,when you turn on the computer and see WTH THREADS in the next few weeks, you'll change the tune .

This has shaped up as Houle all over..

The ONLY WAY you let Gauthier trade away players at deadline is ,IF HE WAS GOING TO BE BACK NEXT YEAR....Is he????

If you got a LAME DUCK Gm shapin your future, your dead in the water....

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-20-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I believe nittany is suggesting hiring someone in between Gauthier and our next GM, to manage the team basically from now until the end of the year.

If we have a GM all lined up and ready to be hired, then I agree, he should be given the reins immediately. But I don't think that's the case (and teams rarely hire new GMs in the middle of a season anyway).
Getting rid of Gauthier now just to replacement him with an interim doesn't make sense I agree. It's either the new GM or you don't do anything at all and while I agree with you about the GM part, firing a guy in the middle of the season wouldn't be the end of the world considering we withdrew a player after a period to tell him he was traded

Old
01-20-2012, 12:41 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Getting rid of Gauthier now just to replacement him with an interim doesn't make sense I agree. It's either the new GM or you don't do anything at all and while I agree with you about the GM part, firing a guy in the middle of the season wouldn't be the end of the world considering we withdrew a player after a period to tell him he was traded
thing is, this new guy would be the GM and he'd have about a month to evaluate (?) everyone and make trade... the guy better work 25H a day

Old
01-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Indeed. If PG isn't in the plans for 2012/13, he shouldn't be allowed to mess with the team leading up to the trade deadline. Having said that, I don't want to pick from barely acceptable options now if totally acceptable options will be available later. And an interim GM brought in to basically deal with just the trade deadline and draft could have fail written all over it. Tough situation. Makes sense to get rid of PG now if he's as good as gone anyway, but doesn't make sense to pick from barely suitable available options like we have been with our coaches for some time now.

Funny enough, though, former NHLPA head Paul Kelly might be someone who could take the team through a trade deadline and draft, if that's all he needed to do. He should have more than enough of an idea of player worth, etc, and that's most of what he'll be required to bring individually to those processes.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 01-20-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote