HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Preds & Wings interested in Hemsky

Old
01-21-2012, 07:24 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borlag View Post
Agreed. Detroit simply can not afford to give the pieces required to get Suter in a trade, or any of the other top defensemen for that matter.
That really wasn't what I was saying, it was more a point of why would they give them for a rental? I certainly don't want any of our high value prospects heading in division on top of that. Detroit has the pieces and could really make a splashy move if they felt the need to and would still have a few pretty nice ones left over afterwards, I just am not enamored with offering the better pieces for a UFA.

This means Smith, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Nyquist, Jurco, and Mrazek should all be protected. Tatar and Pulkkinen are only for something really good. The Wings have arguably outside of Florida and Minnesota the best Top 6 potential forwards in all of hockey, in terms of depth and quality. If they want to double down on a Bobby Ryan type fine, he has a contract for more than next year. Not a big fan of moving Smith in anything though he is the one I would place above all else, I would like to hold onto him for the next 15 years.

I realize that Nashville if parting with Suter has to ask for Smith if they could even entertain an offer from a division rival they are in a race with. So I would rather role the dice and talk to him in July. In a cap world with this many prospects why trade them now at the deadline. The Wings can make other smaller deals and hopefully compete, if not take a chance with the team we have, they do have the most wins and fewest losses in the conference despite what three point games are spitting out in the standings. If they strike out in free agency or people sign before the draft it is a much better place to make a deal with all of these talented prospects than in February, especially with so few sellers and the prices seemingly going up by the day.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:10 AM
AlMo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
I love the "pump & dump" EDM fans are working on Hemsky right now.
Hemsky is overrated. I don't know why either the Wings or Preds would want him. Ales doesn't score goals and these teams could use a winger than could put the puck in the net.

Pittsburgh is a team that could have serious interest. Hemsky playing on Malkin's line makes sense imo.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:12 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I think DET offers Kindl + Prospect for Hemmer.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:18 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
That really wasn't what I was saying, it was more a point of why would they give them for a rental? I certainly don't want any of our high value prospects heading in division on top of that. Detroit has the pieces and could really make a splashy move if they felt the need to and would still have a few pretty nice ones left over afterwards, I just am not enamored with offering the better pieces for a UFA.

This means Smith, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Nyquist, Jurco, and Mrazek should all be protected. Tatar and Pulkkinen are only for something really good. The Wings have arguably outside of Florida and Minnesota the best Top 6 potential forwards in all of hockey, in terms of depth and quality. If they want to double down on a Bobby Ryan type fine, he has a contract for more than next year. Not a big fan of moving Smith in anything though he is the one I would place above all else, I would like to hold onto him for the next 15 years.

I realize that Nashville if parting with Suter has to ask for Smith if they could even entertain an offer from a division rival they are in a race with. So I would rather role the dice and talk to him in July. In a cap world with this many prospects why trade them now at the deadline. The Wings can make other smaller deals and hopefully compete, if not take a chance with the team we have, they do have the most wins and fewest losses in the conference despite what three point games are spitting out in the standings. If they strike out in free agency or people sign before the draft it is a much better place to make a deal with all of these talented prospects than in February, especially with so few sellers and the prices seemingly going up by the day.
No offense but I think you overrate your prospects. No doubt that the Wings do a great job at scouting and drafting but not every single prospect you will be a sure fire NHLer. Tatar and Pulkkinen for "only" something good? These guys are mid range prospects at best.

If you can get Suter for Smith+ you do it imo. The Wings have an outstanding chance at signing Suter to the extension and last I checked Suter is a proven NHL stud dman......Smith isn't.

Ever since Zetterberg and Datsyuk, everyone the Wings draft is considered gold or a "steal".

Old
01-21-2012, 08:45 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
No offense but I think you overrate your prospects. No doubt that the Wings do a great job at scouting and drafting but not every single prospect you will be a sure fire NHLer. Tatar and Pulkkinen for "only" something good? These guys are mid range prospects at best.

If you can get Suter for Smith+ you do it imo. The Wings have an outstanding chance at signing Suter to the extension and last I checked Suter is a proven NHL stud dman......Smith isn't.

Ever since Zetterberg and Datsyuk, everyone the Wings draft is considered gold or a "steal".
I know I personally overrate prospects. I just think they are cheap, unless we have a wink from the UFA players agent I am not all that interested given our current lineup in trading some of these guys. I would rather go a cheaper route like a Ruutu or something of that variety, who won't require any of the names we have listed.

Tatar is not a mid-range prospect, not even really close, he safely falls in the top 50 prospect rankings done by everyone. The only reason I list him as expendable is his similarity to Nyquist who in my opinion is slightly better. Have no problem holding to both, they are both NHL players, Nyquist will be a PPG player in a couple seasons. Pulkkinen while he scores a bunch threatening Selanne's sm-liiga rookie records (think about that for a second) has skating problems and I wonder about how he projects to NA. Other Wings fans will fight you tooth and nail on him because of his elite shot, good showing at the WJC's and his playmaking skills. I would part with either of those two for the right guy. But to call them mid-tier is probably a little inaccurate in particular with Tatar.

*under no circumstance should the Wings trade Smith + (they would still want more) for Suter without a contract being agreed to. That is stupid move and we would get to see it in division/conference on top of that.

**Just as an example to the Tatar point - Hockey's Future currently has Tomas Tatar at #33, one spot behind Ryan McDonagh, three actually ahead of Brendan Smith, four in front of Ryan Ellis and five in front of Nick Leddy. Does that sound like a mid-tier?

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 01-21-2012 at 08:57 AM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Shoalzie

I like Hemsky but with he's not the type of winger Detroit needs. They need a finisher...he's a more expensive version of Hudler and right now, Hudler is a better scorer.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:32 AM
danincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
I like Hemsky but with he's not the type of winger Detroit needs. They need a finisher...he's a more expensive version of Hudler and right now, Hudler is a better scorer.
I agree with your first point but not the Hudler comparison.

Ideally someone like Iginla is who Detroit needs because he's a physically right winger with a big shot (a finisher).

Hemsky can skate much better than Hudler and can beat guys one on one, unlike Hudler. Hemsky isn't a pure finisher but I have to say it again...he's a true right winger. I think part of the problem with Detroit's powerplay is that they don't have a right handed shooting forward in their top 6. If they had Hemsky then that would open up a lot of possibilities on at least one of their powerplay units. He could set up for the one timer on his off wing and he could open up better passing plays on the right side. They signed White because he's a RHS and I think they would like to add a top 6 RHS to their forward group. They just don't seem to draft and develop very many RHS for some reason.

danincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
You don't think the Oil would accept a pick for a UFA to be on a non playoff team? Everything I've read indicates he's bolting from Edmonton asap anyways.
Link from a credible source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
No. I am saying that you can get a very good player at 60 in the draft, and that if you lose Hemsky this year and get a mid level prospect and a 2nd, that this year, your team may lose a couple more games. Or are the oilers making a push for the playoffs and thats why they would be selling Hemsky. Also, I think most fans think they can get a lot more in return for their players, when they might not.
Like last year when fans said that all that Penner was worth was a 2nd straight up or 3rd and prospect(Teubert, 1st, and conditional) or, Cogliano wouldnt even be picked up on waivers(2nd).
The rumours coming out from credible sources are team ----- is interested in Hemsky. NOT Edmonton trying to peddle him off for scraps

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:20 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I know I personally overrate prospects. I just think they are cheap, unless we have a wink from the UFA players agent I am not all that interested given our current lineup in trading some of these guys. I would rather go a cheaper route like a Ruutu or something of that variety, who won't require any of the names we have listed.

Tatar is not a mid-range prospect, not even really close, he safely falls in the top 50 prospect rankings done by everyone. The only reason I list him as expendable is his similarity to Nyquist who in my opinion is slightly better. Have no problem holding to both, they are both NHL players, Nyquist will be a PPG player in a couple seasons. Pulkkinen while he scores a bunch threatening Selanne's sm-liiga rookie records (think about that for a second) has skating problems and I wonder about how he projects to NA. Other Wings fans will fight you tooth and nail on him because of his elite shot, good showing at the WJC's and his playmaking skills. I would part with either of those two for the right guy. But to call them mid-tier is probably a little inaccurate in particular with Tatar.

*under no circumstance should the Wings trade Smith + (they would still want more) for Suter without a contract being agreed to. That is stupid move and we would get to see it in division/conference on top of that.

**Just as an example to the Tatar point - Hockey's Future currently has Tomas Tatar at #33, one spot behind Ryan McDonagh, three actually ahead of Brendan Smith, four in front of Ryan Ellis and five in front of Nick Leddy. Does that sound like a mid-tier?
First off, top lists are almost meaningless. Go through these THN lists of the last 20 years and you will see how incredibly off they are on many prospects they considered top 5 let alone top 33. IMO, Red Wings prospects are almost given a boost because the organization they are a part of. No way would I trade Ryan Ellis for Tomas Tatar. Ellis has the chance to be elite talent at the NHL level, I don't see that in Tatar.

I don't want to knock your prospects, they are good but I'm just saying they are overrated imo because of the organization they are from. Any player that is drafted by the Wings is considered a steal which is ridiculous sometimes.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Smoky

Quote:
First off, top lists are almost meaningless. Go through these THN lists of the last 20 years and you will see how incredibly off they are on many prospects they considered top 5 let alone top 33. IMO, Red Wings prospects are almost given a boost because the organization they are a part of. No way would I trade Ryan Ellis for Tomas Tatar. Ellis has the chance to be elite talent at the NHL level, I don't see that in Tatar.

I don't want to knock your prospects, they are good but I'm just saying they are overrated imo because of the organization they are from. Any player that is drafted by the Wings is considered a steal which is ridiculous sometimes.
And I think Tatar has the chance to be a elite talent at the NHL level, I don't see that in Ellis. See what I did there?

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:17 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
And I think Tatar has the chance to be a elite talent at the NHL level, I don't see that in Ellis. See what I did there?
From a fan of neither team Ellis has the higher ceiling for sure. Tatar looks good but I'd say Ellis is more of a sure shot and has more potential.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Spice Trader

How i think teams look at value is the numbers they put up compared to the salary they earn. also the x factors of injury history + how much of a team guy they are.

Hemsky @ 5 mill is steep for what he has brought to the table the last couple years. By all accounts hes a great guy good attitude and his talent is there. only problem is you only get 40ish games.

If detroit could get him and then get him to sign for 3 years for in the 9 mill range i think he would fit in really well. He has a high hockey IQ and mix that with the talent in detriot and it could be a very nice match. he is at a good age and in detriot with guys like franzen bert and holmstrom and there puck possesion he could just avoid a few of the hits that knock him out because detriot has the puck alot more than edmonton.

To say detriot wouldnt give up a couple mid range prospects or one good one is just silly. Hemsky will be in demand by a few teams because not that many legit top 6 players are available.

Spice Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:46 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:

Besides Pulkkinnen, I wouldn't say any of their prospects are overrated around the league. But your comments about Tatar are completely off the mark, have you ever seen him play or are your comments based off of all the hype surrounding him (or lack their of)? Tatar is in his 3rd AHL season (he is only 21?) and has put up solid numbers every year and he is improving ever year. He was great in the WJCs too. I wouldn't say he has more value than Ellis, but Tatar has elite potential too.

The Red Wings have one of the best prospect pools they have had in a long time.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

I'd love to get Ellis. Big fan of him. I'm not sure if the Preds want to give him up though and we'd probably have to tweak the deal a bit.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:27 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFan91 View Post
I'd love to get Ellis. Big fan of him. I'm not sure if the Preds want to give him up though and we'd probably have to tweak the deal a bit.
hemsky + for ellis otherwise the preds dont touch it .. your best bet is blum in a deal for hemsky

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
I'd personally like to keep him.

Yah, He ran into some re-occurring injuries, but he looks like he worked those out. Its taking some time to get him back on track, but when Hemmer is playing top level his skill level is as good as anyone's in the NHL. That said, only if he *wants* to resign here. If he doesn't then Tambo has to deal him.

Last edited by Patch101: 01-21-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:47 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
hemsky + for ellis otherwise the preds dont touch it .. your best bet is blum in a deal for hemsky
Well, Poile hasn't seemed that adverse to trading away picks, I'd rather just take a pick and let our scouting staff find the player we like the best.

There were rumours we liked Blum last year, but I have no idea if they have any real truth to them.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Who the hell is Marty McSorley?
The guy from Con Air?

Last edited by Roof Daddy: 01-21-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
The guy from Con Air?

Dammit, how do you post an image again?
From google, click "Full-size image" then copy that link

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
The only people who think Hemsky as a rental will convince Weber & Suter to stay are the Hemsky fanboys. Us Nashville fans want bigger than Hemsky. However, there really isn't a huge name that is for sure on the market right now. Hemsky might be enough to help us into another 2nd round possible 3rd if everyone stays healthy. Say that does happen, then maybe the Preds and Hemsky sign a deal. Then Suter signs, then Weber. Then sign Parise in the offseason

It could be the first big domino. Nevermind that was Yip
I was one of those people and i am far from a Hemsky fanboy. I'm just saying that trading for Hemsky (who has 1st line capability when he's on) would signal to Weber and Suter that Poile will not hesitate to make a move to make the team better, that's all. It has little to do with Hemsky staying in Nashville past this year and more to do with Poile showiong the capability to improve the roster.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Beastman*

Both teams could use his soft butt.

Beastman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:13 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
If anything Hemsky should be playing a lot better to impress other clubs and to get a pay raise as a UFA. Not caring will get him nowhere.
he is still ales hemsky

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Beastman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
he is still ales hemsky
and Brad Boyes is still Brad Boyes.

Beastman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
Hemsky and 3rd( likely 43-47) for Ellis.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:17 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
Hemsky and 3rd( likely 43-47) for Ellis.
I would be stoked with that deal, Oil have multiple 2nd rd picks and can offered to move a 3rd.

Ellis is gonna be a stud!!!! Plus Ellis is a former teammate of Hall (Windsor Spit days) that doesn't hurt.

Or they go with a Blum +1st for Hemmer......either way it's a good return for Hemsky.

OILSLICK94 is offline   Reply With Quote