HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

What do you think of the cracking down of the rules and the enforcement thereof?

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
What do you think of the cracking down of the rules and the enforcement thereof?

Recently, an Open Letter to the NCAA Community was posted on the various college hockey sites outlining the NCAA's desire to cut down on the obstructions and to "open up the game". If you look at the regular season games that have been played thus far, the number of "minor infractions" such as hooking, holding, interference, etc. have been called with great regularity in these games. In games where one would normally see about 30-40 minutes of penalties combined on a given night, were doubled (or nearly so) in games played thus far. For example, in the Friday night game between Maine and UND nearly 80 minutes of combined total penalties were assessed.

So what does everyone think of the crackdowns? Will it work? How long will it last?

Your thought.

Old
10-13-2004, 08:12 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
I think it's a good idea in theory and an awful idea in practice, as far as the actual watchability of the game is concerned.

Every game I've read a box score of or watched so far has had 25-30+ penalty minutes per team. What happened to the flow of the game? When Lowell had FIVE 5x3s against Niagara, that's too many ******* penalties.

And the thing is, the NCAA is run by a group of stubborn ***** that won't repeal or change this rule, no matter how boring the games get. But I think it will work because it has to, or else teams are going to have 300 PP opportunites by the middle of the season.

Old
10-13-2004, 09:48 PM
ttnorm

I am a strong supporter but am skeptical about the chances for success. Over at Yale, where I have season tix, they plan to distribute the "Open letter" to all fans on the home opening weekend. I think this makes sense. Whenever this type of crackdown gets started, there are a ton of penalties and most of the people in the crowd are clueless why. I think the negative effect that a crowd can have on players, coaches, and officials should not be discounted. At least at Yale the majority of fans will be educated as to the benefits of this initiative.

It will take a while for the players to adjust what has been routine misuse of the stick and the free hand for some time now. Most of the time, the officials give up calling the game by the rules after a few weeks which drives coaches and players batty not knowing what is legal and what is not.

In hockey, (it should be) if you want to stay out of the box, keep two hands on the stick and the stick on the ice.

Beyond that, officials and players have to protect defensemen in the corners from high flying and unimpeded forcheckers. Players should treat this as a matter of mutual respect for your opponent. Ram rodding guys in the corners is = intent to injure and shouldn't have any part of this game.

Last edited by ttnorm: 10-14-2004 at 09:18 AM.
Old
10-13-2004, 10:12 PM
NCAA Hockey Fan

I agree with it's a good idea in theory and blows to watch. I've been to 4 games so far this year Merrimack/STU 60 penalties,Maine/UVM 25,Maine/UND 30,Maine/UND 14. It's brutal and there is no flow to the games in most cases. It has turned the games that I've seen into
special teams games so you really only see your pp units and pk units most of the games.

Old
10-13-2004, 10:53 PM
Perry91502

Its been BRUTAL to watch...theyre almost killing the game....AWFUL to watch

Old
10-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Icer

It's brutal now, but they need to keep calling these penalties if they ever hope to get rid of the clutching and grabbing. Sooner or later the players will adjust their game and the penalties will go down.

Old
10-21-2004, 02:19 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer
It's brutal now, but they need to keep calling these penalties if they ever hope to get rid of the clutching and grabbing. Sooner or later the players will adjust their game and the penalties will go down.
Absolutely! This is the EXACT same thing that the NHL has NOT done: stay with it long enough for the players to adjust. College hockey has ALWAYS been faster than NHL or other leagues, but the holding was TERRIBLE (should be called "tackling" instead). Give them 10 or so games to realize that the refs are going to call every illegal thing, not just 5% of the illegal things, and the players will adjust.
I hope they call it this tight all season, just so the "skill" teams can rise to the top, where they should be. There is no reason for a team to go deep into the playoffs just because they are better at hanging onto jerseys!

Old
10-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Hunter74

Im glad there cracking down on this crap as its killing hockey. Of course it sucks at the moment wiht all the penealties being called but once the players addapt we will have more entertaining hockey in the long run. Of course if they dont continue this level of officiating all year than this hole carck down woudl be the stupidest thing they could do. Why put fans and players through such bull if you dont even have the stomach to follow through with it all year long.

Its either crack down permanantly or dont crack down at all. It cant be alittle of both b/c thats just plain stupid IMHO.

Old
10-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Jori

Just came back from the DU/SCSU game tonight and the crackdown definately hurt the flow of the game. However, in the long run it will only benefit the NCAA.

Old
10-23-2004, 09:28 AM
ceber

Tough to watch, especially having gotten used to a lot looser definition of holding, interference, hooking, etc. Everyone needs to give it some time.

The coaches and players have a huge responsibility they need to stand up and accept. If they do this, I think it'll be great. If they don't, it's going to fail. It's not going to be the refs fault if this one doesn't work.

Old
10-23-2004, 10:58 AM
mattmo

It has been awful to watch UVM play because they are getting tons of penalty minutes. During the game against BU, it seemed that almost every play was stopped by a penalty whistle and last night UVM was smoked by Niargra, who score I think 4 of their 6 goals on power plays. I don't know the exact number, but i would venture that UVM had at least 25+ minutes worth of penalties. Niargra got just as much, but it is pretty apparent that UVM does not know how to score on power plays. Vermont is on pace to set an all-time high in penalty minutes, and not in a good way...it is going to be a long, depressing season for the Catamounts.

Old
10-23-2004, 11:17 AM
dafranchz

Though it is not the most pleasent thing to watch over and over again, I actually like the idea. As long as the NCAA officials continue to knock out obstruction and keep the game going that is fine. Eventually the teams will play smarter. If the teams don't change their style, then it is going to be some long telecasts. It all has to be a well orchestrated, uniformed approach. The teams need to conform and the officials can't back down over scrutiny.

Old
10-23-2004, 04:18 PM
ttnorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
...The coaches and players have a huge responsibility they need to stand up and accept. If they do this, I think it'll be great. If they don't, it's going to fail. It's not going to be the refs fault if this one doesn't work.
You have a point about the reponsibility of the coaches and players but I disagree with your conclusion. Players, coaches, and I guess even fans will push to get any advantage and as such will test the limits of the rules. It is up to the officials to stick with this initiative. The alternative is that players and coaches won't have a clue what is legal and what is not.

I actually believe players and coaches get this better than the officials some times.

Closed Thread