HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next GM/Coach: Up-and-Comer vs. Retread with proven experience

View Poll Results: Preference?
Up-and-Coming Young Coach AND GM 7 22.58%
Up-and-Coming Young Coach and Seasoned GM 13 41.94%
Seasoned, Vet Coach AND GM 8 25.81%
Seasoned, Vet Coach and up-and-coming, young GM 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
The seasoned coach/up and coming GM combo might be tough to do. I'm not sure how a veteran coach would take working with a young or inexperienced GM.

For me, I think I'd start with an up and coming GM and go from there. Let him figure out who he wants as head coach. I don't think I really have a preference, so I'd be OK with letting him get whoever he'll work well with.

I would assume a previous working relationship. Say they hired Botterill, would he bring Todd Richards in (if we even want him to)?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:29 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

I always liked Epstein/Francona in Boston, and I like the Cherington (38 yrs old) / Valentine (61 yrs old) even better.

I feel that a young GM would relate to the players better, while the coach would bring veteran experience and leadership

Voted young GM and old coach.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:30 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
A young and upcoming coach can easily grow into the job if given the right players but an inexperienced GM is too big a gamble IMO for a rebuilding process, or at least a major retooling like what the Sabres need.
Keep tabs on the Red Sox. It may be the experiment we're looking for.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:15 AM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Well, I will say that, right now, I am nervous for the future of this team.

My feeling is that if a move at GM hasn't been made by now, behind the scenes you have to let Regier know he is your GM for at least another season.

Why?

Because I think that if he feels he has to make the playoffs or have a very strong finish to keep his job, he could end up making moves that hurt the future of this team all in the name of self preservation and short term gain.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

up and coming GM, the coach doesn't matter seeing as how they are so easily replaced. Just keep replacing them until the players stop sucking I guess, since thats the path were about to take. Whatever.

The GM is what really needs corrected. Regier has not done a good enough job, for whatever reason. They need a guy who can pull off some moves like the Bruins and Penguins GMs have done over the years.

Nill from Detroit?

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:47 AM
puckish66

Can the GM and coach be the same guy?

Could one man provide the strategic vision for both the coaching and management side, while allowing his staff to do the day to day, time-consuming work?

It would concentrate power for sure, but, as long as the guy had good mental health, there would be no personality clashes.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:58 AM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Can the GM and coach be the same guy?

Could one man provide the strategic vision for both the coaching and management side, while allowing his staff to do the day to day, time-consuming work?

It would concentrate power for sure, but, as long as the guy had good mental health, there would be no personality clashes.
The Sabres did that once upon a time with Scotty Bowman. Bowman was the best coach in the league and he knew that much. He always tried to groom his next HC so he could concentrate on GM duties only but he was never satisfied with the HC's he brought in and ended up behind the bench almost every year, or every other year.

Bowman finally got the axe when he proved he couldn't handle that much power.

If Scotty Bowman couldn't do it I'm not so sure I want that route explored again.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:22 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
The Sabres did that once upon a time with Scotty Bowman. Bowman was the best coach in the league and he knew that much. He always tried to groom his next HC so he could concentrate on GM duties only but he was never satisfied with the HC's he brought in and ended up behind the bench almost every year, or every other year.

Bowman finally got the axe when he proved he couldn't handle that much power.

If Scotty Bowman couldn't do it I'm not so sure I want that route explored again.
But Scotty came into it in 1979 not really wanting to do it. He has said he wanted to just be the GM, but the Knoxes wanted him to coach one season.

That's also 30 years in the past. You'd think technology would make it easier for one man to do both jobs today.

I know it's very unlikely to happen. Hell, it seems unlikely either job is going to open up.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote