HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Monarchs Training Camp Updates

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2004, 04:46 AM
Word

vCash: 500
Monarchs Training Camp Updates

First off I would like to say thanks to all for the information on the Kings Monarchs and Royals.

This is the status of some of the players missing from the Monarchs training camp.

Mathieu Garon is expected to arrive in Manchester today.

George Parros, is out with a broken foot sustained at Kings rookie camp.

Scott Barney has an undisclosed injury and the team is awaiting “test results.”

Yanick Lehoux was attending his grandfather’s funeral. Lehoux took his physical yesterday and should be on the practice ice today.

Other information

Reading Royals coach Derek Clancy is also assisting on the Monarchs training camp

Garon’s arrival ups the goalie total in the Monarchs’ camp to five. Between Manchester and the Kings’ Reading Royals of the ECHL there is room for four goalies.

-- Hmm will the Kings finally be assigning players to Reading.

Gilmore said yesterday the Kings are in the market for another veteran AHL defenseman to join the Monarchs.

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=44788

Old
09-30-2004, 07:37 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Word
George Parros, is out with a broken foot sustained at Kings rookie camp.
Well, that's a piece of bad news. That'll be what, 6 to 8 weeks before he's skating again?

ReggieMoto

Old
09-30-2004, 10:25 AM
King Blazer

I put some day 2 notes up yesterday in the Updates.....Please thread...

Day 3..I was only able to attend session 1.

Garon arrived at Tri-Town Arena around 8:45 a.m. (local time). He's Expected to work out lightly today...

Parros is walking fine, no air cast or anything like that. He's still dry land training and "coming right along" according to him...

I did not see Barney this morning. Doesn't mean he wasn't there, I just didn't see him...

Spoke with Lehoux briefly, he's doing ok in his words and anxious to get onto the ice. He will skate today...

Don't be surprised if they keep all 5-goalies...

Rookie Center Matt Ryan was injured during a 1 on 1 drill. He was checked by either Steckel or Flinn (far side from where I was) which resulted in him falling backward and twisting. He got up and skated directly to the dressing room under his own power. His right shoulder was "drooping" and his pain was "audible" to us that were there...my GUESS is shoulder or Clavicle...

EDIT-Ryan did return at the end of the session and skated with no visible effects...

Smyth had 3 blank test sticks he was changing every 5-mins. or so. Didn't seem too impressed with any of them...

Gleason face washed Dora pretty good during a 1 on 1 drill and he dropped Steckel with one hand during the same drill...A lot more intensity from Gleason today than yesterday...

Weaver is a tough, solid player. Try as the would, I didn't see anyone able to leverage position on him...

Brust looked good during the breakaway (1 on 0) drill.

Marsters seemed to be collapsing his middle a little better and sucking up shots. Definately concentrating more on either gathering and covering or swiping the short and drop in front of him rebounds, Noticeable more second effort on his part...

At this point, a second round pick is likely a LOT more than Steckel would fetch on the open market...He's just not cutting it...Reading would be a gift to him right now IMO...

Cammy and Brown are just picking corners and having fun...

Flinn looks like he just can't wait to hit someone...He's trolling...

Last edited by King Blazer: 09-30-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old
09-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Fat Elvis

KB, great posts keep them coming. Out of the invitees who has impressed the most? And with Steckel, does it look like he just isn't trying and shows no effort, or is he just a poor player?

Old
09-30-2004, 09:33 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
KB, great posts keep them coming. Out of the invitees who has impressed the most? And with Steckel, does it look like he just isn't trying and shows no effort, or is he just a poor player?
Out of the Defense invitees Doug Nolan has impressed the most. Nolan wasn't out in LA this year. He played 49 games for the Monarchs last season after being called-up. They also played him on the wing on a couple of occasions when the injury's cut deep into the rosters. Nolan was repoted to be retiring and changed his mind about 3-weeks ago.

The other defenseman I like so far is Basiuk. He's big, tough and skates well.

I think the fans in LA will be pleased with Weaver as well. He aint tall, but he is solid, damn solid...

Forward- Lukajic- he is on a line with Fortier and James. He's the grinder and he's real good at it. No problem skating with the speed of James...

Steckel-There are so many things wrong about his game I don't know where to start. He's giving a good effort here, he's just not on the same page as the rest of the guys here with respect to his skills sets.

It seems as though his body angles are all wrong. Yesterday, He fell on his ass when he was cutting, 3-times that I saw. This is likely the result of his not creating proper body angles. Specifically, he had a lack of upper and lower body separation and almost straight knees. Simply stated, he straightens his legs and tips to the inside when cutting. The result is he works off of a narrowed base and his inside shoulder is closer to the ice than his outside. He's off balance. The faster the pace, the more glaring the deficiencies..IMO, a skating coach is what he needs right now, not a hockey coach...

hope this helps...

Old
09-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Saprykin Fan

hey

hows No Dogg (noah clarke) doin down there, talk to him on phone, but what are your guys thoughts on him from watching.

Old
10-01-2004, 12:50 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
Well, that's a piece of bad news. That'll be what, 6 to 8 weeks before he's skating again?

ReggieMoto
Parross is out 6-8 weeks with an injury. wow that didnt take long for the injury bug to start in again on the Kings organization. really can this organization ever stay healthy for once?

Old
10-01-2004, 12:52 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Just wondering who is going to opening night? 2 weeks away. maybe we could have a small meeting at Cahoots or Margaritas before the game? im game if anyone else is interested.

Old
10-01-2004, 04:56 AM
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto

ReggieMoto
Injury Update: Right wings Scott Barney (lower body injury) and George Parros (high ankle sprain) will not participate in Friday’s scrimmage because of injuries.

--
This is better news on the injuries to Barney [I was afraid it was his back] and Parros [Union said it was broken]. Hope to see them both return to the ice soon.

The article mentions an Oct 1 scrimmage that will start at 9:00 a.m.. It is free to the public for those wishing to attend.

http://www.monarchshockey.com/news/?...e47f2be2ae1b92

Old
10-01-2004, 12:22 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
Parross is out 6-8 weeks with an injury.
That was my guess for a broken foot. However, it appears the good news is that it is only a bad sprain. I saw him at today's (Friday, 10/1) scrimmage and he is not in any kind of support device (air cast, tape, nothing) and walking fine.

ReggieMoto

Old
10-01-2004, 12:56 PM
King Blazer

Black and White Scrimmage

Team A (White Sweaters)

Brown Cammalleri Smyth
Dora Ryan Welch
Flinn Steckel Sullivan
Russell Nagel Fill in the Blank

Gleason Weaver
Nolan Milam
Belanger Peters

Brust
Marsters

Team B (Black Sweaters)

Clarke Lehoux Kostopoulos
Kanko Miles Hogeboom
Giuliano Bull Lukajic
James Fortier Fill in the Blank

Grebeshkov Rullier
Schmidt Mangos
Basiuk Korovkin
Peterson

Hauser
Fukufuji

Goalies played 1 ½ periods each, Hauser and Brust started…
No names or numbers on the Jerseys so it was difficult to spot who’s who at times..
Lines and pairings started as listed above but were changed often...

Scoring

1st period… Welch from Brown, on a centering pass from the left side. Nice pass, nice finish… 1-0 White

2nd period… Welch from Dora, see 1st goal...2-0 White

3rd period… Ryan from Welch, EL Cheapo foul-tip miss-hit that flipped up in the air and behind Fukufuji…The kind of goal you get when things are just going your teams way, which the were for the Whites except for maybe the 5-6 min. surge Black had in the middle of the second period… 3-0 White

3rd period…Cammalleri from Brown (I think) ONE TIME BLAST from the top of the crease. Just aint no one that’s getting that one…4-0 White

3rd period…Kostopolous from Lehoux. One time laser off the draw to beat Marsters...4-1 White

FINAL 4-1 White...

Thoughts

Welch seemed to enjoy his time away from the Flinn-Steckel line. Who can blame him? Neither Flinn nor Steckel factored into ANYTHING.

The Black Team just really never clicked or got it going except for a short flurry in the 2nd.

The day really belonged to Brown and Welch….

A lot of dump and try to cycle but neither team really ever got it set up in their O-Zone. Black killed off a 40 sec. 5-on-3 and the PP didn’t look all that great.

It was a scrimmage and that’s about it…Both teams were juggling lines after about the 3rd shift in the first period…

The Official stuff: www.monarchshockey.com/news/?id=1184

Last edited by King Blazer: 10-01-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old
10-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Mxpunk

Sorry, I've been out of the pipeline loop. Is Tambellini playing for the Monarchs this year? Is he still injured? If not, where is he playing? Thanks!

Old
10-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk
Sorry, I've been out of the pipeline loop. Is Tambellini playing for the Monarchs this year? Is he still injured? If not, where is he playing? Thanks!
University of Minnesota...
P.S. Great Monarch updates!!!!!

Old
10-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
University of Minnesota...
P.S. Great Monarch updates!!!!!
Tambs is at Michigan

Old
10-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Tambs is at Michigan

I knew it! It started what an M.

Old
10-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Thanks for the updates!

Old
10-02-2004, 07:27 PM
KINGLEWOOD

Looks like Manchester's playing Portland tonight. I looked at the roster and it seems the Monarchs are playing the guys are fighting for jobs such as Steckel, Dora, Ryan etc. Brust has let in 2 goals on 7 shots so far and it's only the 1st period.

Portland 2 Monarchs 0

Old
10-02-2004, 08:34 PM
King Blazer

Monarchs down 2-3 through 2 periods. Portland is pretty much playing their A-team tonight.

Old
10-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Reaper45

Anyone have a boxscore for the game? I want to know if there were any scraps or such......

Old
10-02-2004, 11:39 PM
KINGLEWOOD

this link should work

http://www.theahl.com/SlamScoreboard/ahl-frameset.html

Old
10-03-2004, 12:30 AM
Reaper45

Sullivan 2 AHL games and 15 pim's......dude's a scrapper.....

Old
10-03-2004, 06:42 AM
King Blazer

This is the link to the scoresheet...

http://www.pointstreak.com/framed/pr...?gameid=140967

Old
10-04-2004, 01:55 PM
King Blazer

Sunday's Preseason Game

Portland beats Monarchs 5-4 in shootout ending

Cammalleri wore the C
Rullier and Clarke with As

Lines:

James Fortier Lukajic
Brown Cammalleri Smyth
Clarke Lehoux Kanko
Flinn Steckel Sullivan

Defense Sets

Belanger Mangos
Grebeshkov Rullier
Korovkin Peterson

Goaltenders
Hauser
Fukufuji

PP1
Brown Cammalleri Smyth
Lehoux Grebs

PP2
Kanko Fortier Clarke
Belanger Rullier

PK1
Cammalleri Clarke
Korovkin Peterson

PK2
Lehoux Kanko
Belanger Rullier

PK3
Cammalleri Brown
Rullier Belanger

Steckel saw time on both PP and PK after Fortier stopped playing in the second period. I assume Fortier was injured because he was playing well early. Steckel on the PP is like playing 4 on 4…

Scoring
Portland’s 1st goal (PP) was a screen job I doubt Hauser ever saw it
Portland’s 2nd goal (PP) came after Belanger dove to break-up a pass and wiped Hauser out. Can’t make saves from the back of the net and your teammate tangled-up with you.
Portland’s 3rd goal (SH) Fussey broke in down the left side let a snapper go from the left circle that Hauser should have had all the way. Beat him far side high.
Portland’s 4th goal Hauser made the save, puck was just off of the right post. He had his right skate against the post and was down. Two Portland players basically pushed his leg and puck in the net while the Manchester D watched…

Hauser gave-up 4. One he definitely should have had, the rest he didn’t get any help from his d-men…

Manchester’s 1st goal (PP) Brown from Smyth and Grebs. Backdoor cycle, pretty goal
Manchester’s 2nd Lehoux from Brown and Smyth. Good work low by Brown hit Lehoux high slot left side he roofed it right side after a nice cut. (Smyth with the tack-on)
Manchester’s 3rd Kanko from Lehoux and Peterson. Kanko with a one hand shovel it at the net on the right side and it goes in…
Manchester’s 4th (Not listed as a PP) but it was a 6 on 4 as the Monarchs had pulled Fukufuji and Portland was down a player. Lehoux from Belanger and Kanko. Similar to his first goal except Lehoux got a sweet setup from Belanger…

AHL Score sheet: http://www.pointstreak.com/framed/p...l?gameid=140982

Rullier left the ice after his fight in the second period with a cut over his right eye. A lot of blood but I don’t think he got hit. Clutching in front of Monarchs net each guy landed a couple introduction type punches, the both fell to the ice, in the net and Rullier came up bleeding….

The Smyth fight wasn’t a fight. Each guy had a fist full of jersey and they spun in circles no real punches landed by either. Once the players were good and dizzy, the Linesmen broke them apart…

I’m not impressed with what I’ve seen from “shooter” (Smyth) so far. He has ZERO business on the PK and I trust when the team is finalized, he won’t be on the PK…I haven’t seen any chemistry between him and the Cammalleri-Brown combo…

Our D was bad in the first period, better in the second, and did a decent job finishing with 5 in the 3rd…

Shootouts are really anti-climatic after a team fights back to tie with the goalie pulled…

Fukufuji has an incredibly quick glove and looked solid...

Connor James should earn at least a Reading Deal...

Lukajic has a weird skating style but he gets the job done and he hits...

Old
10-04-2004, 02:39 PM
King Blazer

Bump...for some reason it's not showing up as having been updated when you go to the index. Also, there is a duplicate of my post above this in the Brad Smyth thread..Sorry it took so long to get the review on the site, I couldn't get in until about 1:30 p.m. (east coast) today...

Old
10-04-2004, 02:44 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Portland beats Monarchs 5-4 in shootout ending

Cammalleri wore the C
Rullier and Clarke with As

Lines:

James Fortier Lukajic
Brown Cammalleri Smyth
Clarke Lehoux Kanko
Flinn Steckel Sullivan

Defense Sets

Belanger Mangos
Grebeshkov Rullier
Korovkin Peterson

Goaltenders
Hauser
Fukufuji

PP1
Brown Cammalleri Smyth
Lehoux Grebs

PP2
Kanko Fortier Clarke
Belanger Rullier

PK1
Cammalleri Clarke
Korovkin Peterson

PK2
Lehoux Kanko
Belanger Rullier

PK3
Cammalleri Brown
Rullier Belanger

Steckel saw time on both PP and PK after Fortier stopped playing in the second period. I assume Fortier was injured because he was playing well early. Steckel on the PP is like playing 4 on 4…

Scoring
Portland’s 1st goal (PP) was a screen job I doubt Hauser ever saw it
Portland’s 2nd goal (PP) came after Belanger dove to break-up a pass and wiped Hauser out. Can’t make saves from the back of the net and your teammate tangled-up with you.
Portland’s 3rd goal (SH) Fussey broke in down the left side let a snapper go from the left circle that Hauser should have had all the way. Beat him far side high.
Portland’s 4th goal Hauser made the save, puck was just off of the right post. He had his right skate against the post and was down. Two Portland players basically pushed his leg and puck in the net while the Manchester D watched…

Hauser gave-up 4. One he definitely should have had, the rest he didn’t get any help from his d-men…

Manchester’s 1st goal (PP) Brown from Smyth and Grebs. Backdoor cycle, pretty goal
Manchester’s 2nd Lehoux from Brown and Smyth. Good work low by Brown hit Lehoux high slot left side he roofed it right side after a nice cut. (Smyth with the tack-on)
Manchester’s 3rd Kanko from Lehoux and Peterson. Kanko with a one hand shovel it at the net on the right side and it goes in…
Manchester’s 4th (Not listed as a PP) but it was a 6 on 4 as the Monarchs had pulled Fukufuji and Portland was down a player. Lehoux from Belanger and Kanko. Similar to his first goal except Lehoux got a sweet setup from Belanger…

AHL Score sheet: http://www.pointstreak.com/framed/p...l?gameid=140982

Rullier left the ice after his fight in the second period with a cut over his right eye. A lot of blood but I don’t think he got hit. Clutching in front of Monarchs net each guy landed a couple introduction type punches, the both fell to the ice, in the net and Rullier came up bleeding….

The Smyth fight wasn’t a fight. Each guy had a fist full of jersey and they spun in circles no real punches landed by either. Once the players were good and dizzy, the Linesmen broke them apart…

I’m not impressed with what I’ve seen from “shooter” (Smyth) so far. He has ZERO business on the PK and I trust when the team is finalized, he won’t be on the PK…I haven’t seen any chemistry between him and the Cammalleri-Brown combo…

Our D was bad in the first period, better in the second, and did a decent job finishing with 5 in the 3rd…

Shootouts are really anti-climatic after a team fights back to tie with the goalie pulled…

Fukufuji has an incredibly quick glove and looked solid...

Connor James should earn at least a Reading Deal...

Lukajic has a weird skating style but he gets the job done and he hits...
so Fukufuki will be the 3rd goalie behind Garon and Hauser? of course if there is a miracle and the NHL season starts Garon is headed back to LA.

Closed Thread