HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Tim Wallace Hit on Sean Couturier [Video #1 Post]

Old
01-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

vCash: 500
Tim Wallace Hit on Sean Couturier [Video #1 Post]

This happened last night between the Islanders/Flyers, please watch the whole clip before making judgement.

3 questions to all of you.

1.) Was it intentional? 2.) Should he be suspended? 3.) Will he be suspended?

(Thanks to HockeyWebCaster for the clip)

Last edited by Lexus: 01-20-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:07 PM
mooseOAK*

For the life of me I don't understand why people even ask if these hits are intentional or not.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:14 PM
ponder

Watch the full play starting at 1:22. I think it's fairly clear that he was going in to finish a check (somewhat late, though a fairly soft hit) against Couturier, who had recently played the puck. The path he takes, the fact that Couturier recently had the puck, and the way he dips his shoulder all make it seem like he's finishing a check, it really doesn't look like an accidental collision to me. The way I see it, he's coming in to hit him, but Couturier plays the puck too soon, so he figures he'll finish with a sneaky bump (which won't get called), instead of a big-but-late hit, which will get called. With that being said, I doubt he was going for the head here, he was probably going for a shoulder to shoulder hit/bump, but wasn't really paying attention to where he was hitting, and caught Couturier in the head instead. A hit to the head, not a particularly bad/malicious one, I'd give it 1 game.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:40 PM
boredmale

It looks like he ment to hit him but Couturier sort of bend down the exact second he did for whatever reason. If Couturier doesn't bend down perfectly legal play. Probably should have been 2 minutes for being careless, a verbal warning from Shanny say we won't suspend you now but if it becomes a common pattern we will keep an eye out.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:42 PM
wej20

I think he wanted to hit him but I don't think he wanted to catch him in the head.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
For the life of me I don't understand why people even ask if these hits are intentional or not.
I would call some of them unintentional, the one on Crosby during the Winter Classic etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Watch the full play starting at 1:22. I think it's fairly clear that he was going in to finish a check (somewhat late, though a fairly soft hit) against Couturier, who had recently played the puck. The path he takes, the fact that Couturier recently had the puck, and the way he dips his shoulder all make it seem like he's finishing a check, it really doesn't look like an accidental collision to me. The way I see it, he's coming in to hit him, but Couturier plays the puck too soon, so he figures he'll finish with a sneaky bump (which won't get called), instead of a big-but-late hit, which will get called. With that being said, I doubt he was going for the head here, he was probably going for a shoulder to shoulder hit/bump, but wasn't really paying attention to where he was hitting, and caught Couturier in the head instead. A hit to the head, not a particularly bad/malicious one, I'd give it 1 game.
Great input! And i agree with most of it.

Last edited by Ronnie Bass: 01-20-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: edit out deleted quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:21 PM
GOBLUES4257

It looked clean. Looked like he meant to hit him in the shoulder.

GOBLUES4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I think he wanted to hit him but I don't think he wanted to catch him in the head.
Well, that's a tough one.

Intentional to hit him, but not intentional to hit him in the head?!.

Old
01-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBLUES4257 View Post
It looked clean. Looked like he meant to hit him in the shoulder.
If it looked clean and he was trying to hit him, he sure would get suspended. (we don't know anything about a suspension yet, but he will probably pass)

If he intentionally was trying to hit/brace him he would get suspended no matter what. Im pretty sure Andy Sutton didn't want to hit Landeskog in the head either, just the body, but he did, and that's why he got suspended. (5 games)

Last edited by Lexus: 01-20-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old
01-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I remember having to watch the Tim Wallace show for Pittsburgh on a regular occurance last season. Thank god we got rid of him.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:46 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

He moved his upper-body a little bit before contact, so it was intentional imo. Didn't look too bad though, barely touched him, not sure if he deserves a game or not.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I think the NHL should start fining for incident's like this that target someone's head, but aren't as vicious as shots that require a suspension. If you really want all types of head shots out of the game you can't let the little ones go because they aren't as bad. You just have to make the punishment fit the crime.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:59 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

It really looks like Couturier is trying to sell it more than anything ...
Watching it over an over again, looks like Wallace barely touches him.

Wallace could have easily destroyed Couturier but he didn't he skated by him, looks like a harmless clip... and Couturier drops like a sack o potatoes.

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:01 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Meant to do it. Should get fined at the least but we'll see. So pointless.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:04 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
This.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:07 PM
du5566*

no, no, no.....

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings85 View Post

Wallace could have easily destroyed Couturier but he didn't he skated by him, looks like a harmless clip... and Couturier drops like a sack o potatoes.
Here's a man who's never been hit on the head.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Was it intentional? As in did he target the head? No. I think he fully meant to interfere with him so he slows down when entering the zone but in no way do I think he went for his head.

Should he get suspended? No. Like I said above, he didn't target the head.

Will he get suspended? No, and he won't get fined either.

Is there another angle? I'm watching it and can't tell if Couturier's head moves because he got hit in the shoulder/back or if he really did get grazed.

I didn't even notice this during the game, the Isles guys didn't say anything about it. Flyer fans, did your announcers make note of it? Has anything been said in the media about the hit or possible concussion?

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:

Couturier had no idea that he was going to get hit.

Dumped the puck in and wasn't even looking towards him.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
ZetterBurger

1. Yes, it is clearly intentional. He makes a line for him and nudges himself in front of Couts. He then gives that very subtle shoulder lift. That is a sign that he is bracing for contact. If Wallace didn't think he was going to touch SC, he wouldn't have made that motion.
2. He should be DISCIPLINED. I do not think a suspension is needed. It did not look malicious nor do I think he wanted to touch his head, but he did, and it could've been avoided.
3. I doubt he gets suspended.

This is a play we see in hockey all the time. Most likely, Wallace was trying to get under Couts' skin by getting in his way and bumping into him. If Couts was aware Wallace was coming, nothing would've happened because he could just side step it. I think a decent size fine should be given to Wallace, maybe 1 game.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:17 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:

Lets not forget that Couturier took a shot to that side of the head. As we have seen it doesn't take much to bring back symptoms. I am not saying he hit him hard, just saying if Couts is selling it, it could be some instinct to protect himself. For example, I played hockey with a fractured hand. I got a slap on the wrist during a game and pulled my hand off my stick like it just got broken, before realizing that it was really nothing. It was my own instinct to protect and injury. That could be why Couturier kind of snaps his head back. He could be pulling away from Wallace at the same time Wallace makes contact.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:31 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Lets not forget that Couturier took a shot to that side of the head. As we have seen it doesn't take much to bring back symptoms. I am not saying he hit him hard, just saying if Couts is selling it, it could be some instinct to protect himself. For example, I played hockey with a fractured hand. I got a slap on the wrist during a game and pulled my hand off my stick like it just got broken, before realizing that it was really nothing. It was my own instinct to protect and injury. That could be why Couturier kind of snaps his head back. He could be pulling away from Wallace at the same time Wallace makes contact.
Totally understandable if he snaps his head back.
Wouldn't surprise me, I am not against him "selling" it...
I am just voicing how I see it, after all it is my opinion , which of course some people see it differently . And how I see it, is that Couturier dropped pretty easily. Granted he had a prior head injury.

Anyways... I could see this getting looked at just for the soul fact they are cracking down... but I can also see nothing getting done about it. At the same time, it could have just been a flukey hit or whatever some people want to call it...

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:56 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Totally understandable if he snaps his head back.
Wouldn't surprise me, I am not against him "selling" it...
I am just voicing how I see it, after all it is my opinion , which of course some people see it differently . And how I see it, is that Couturier dropped pretty easily. Granted he had a prior head injury.

Anyways... I could see this getting looked at just for the soul fact they are cracking down... but I can also see nothing getting done about it. At the same time, it could have just been a flukey hit or whatever some people want to call it...
Gravy

Old
01-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Talk Hockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Not Intentional, Shouldn't be suspended.

01-20-2012, 08:14 PM
seadawg
HFBoards Sponsor

intentional or not, he should be suspended. Players can get penalties for intentionally or unintentionally hitting a player with a high stick, so why not get suspended for intentionally or unintentionally hitting a player in the head? To me, these players need to be responsible for their actions on the ice, whether those actions are intentional or not.

seadawg is online now   Reply With Quote