HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Tim Wallace Hit on Sean Couturier [Video #1 Post]

Old
01-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Nolanitis

vCash: 500
He barely tapped him, those types of hits happen so often on the ice it would be insane to try to judge them. He makes no body movement to "lay a check" just cuts him off. It would be a crazy precedent to start policing these hits.

If he gets a game or two so be it, but that would really open a can of worms for the league. The Isles would get a better player in Ulstrome in the lineup again.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:51 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Really?!?!? Looked like he was going to make a hit, realized the puck moved before he could get there and just want to get in front of him. Couturier dips his head (un-intentionaly) right as Wallace cuts in front of him. I think the three buffons in this video calling for a suspension should be suspended. This is getting ridiculous.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:23 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings85 View Post
Totally understandable if he snaps his head back.
Wouldn't surprise me, I am not against him "selling" it...
I am just voicing how I see it, after all it is my opinion , which of course some people see it differently . And how I see it, is that Couturier dropped pretty easily. Granted he had a prior head injury.

Anyways... I could see this getting looked at just for the soul fact they are cracking down... but I can also see nothing getting done about it. At the same time, it could have just been a flukey hit or whatever some people want to call it...
Look at the Butler elbow on JVR two weeks ago. Senator announcers thought he was selling it. JVR now has a concussion which most people believe came from that elbow.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I think that one is pretty clearly intentional, and I hope he gets hammered. Of course, I really like Couturier, so that biases me here...

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:37 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Absolutely intentional. Players at this level should be able to atleast "feel" a player who is that close to them and in their peripheral vision.

Careless play and needs to be reprimanded in some way, even a little bit.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:43 AM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Seems just like the hit Steckel put on Crosby in TWC, and if that one was okay, this one is okay. Personally, I don't like either. A hit to the head is a hit to the head whether you mean to do it or not. Have control of your body at all times, just like you have to have control of your stick. This "incidental contact" stuff doesn't fly with me, but apparently it does to BS.

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensPlz View Post
Seems just like the hit Steckel put on Crosby in TWC, and if that one was okay, this one is okay. Personally, I don't like either. A hit to the head is a hit to the head whether you mean to do it or not. Have control of your body at all times, just like you have to have control of your stick. This "incidental contact" stuff doesn't fly with me, but apparently it does to BS.
No, Steckel and Crosby was a much different proposition. Steckel didn't come across the whole ice surface angled on Crosby, for one.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Fripp

Intentional bump, unintended head contact.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:50 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

I have zero doubts based on the way everything unfolded that he meant to hit him. Whether he meant to hit him in the head is another story, but to me it's of little relevance. The hit was from the blindside and it was interference, and by going up high with his check he risked hitting him in the head, which is also to say that it was a reckless hit. That's important to note because in several of Shanahan's suspension videos he cited that a hit was reckless when the player's intent was unclear and used that as a determining factor in his ruling. I'd still be surprised if Wallace got a suspension for the reasons the TSN panel did. The NHL has been very soft in the past on hits that could in any way be argued as accidental, Shanahan's brief tenure included. So I think there's enough merit in that argument, at least on the surface, for it to be overlooked and forgotten in the minds of Shanny and co. But I do think this is a suspension worthy incident for the reasons already mentioned, as well as to set a precedent that similar 'accidentally on purpose' type hits aren't automatically deemed okay. If we can use all of the details of the incident to show beyond a reasonable doubt that foul / reckless play was involved, a suspension ought to be heavily considered. Personally, I'd give him two games. There's just no way I'm buying that this was on accident.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:42 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

Players are getting really devious when it comes to deliberately injuring one another. The one on Alfredsson was another great example and if you back the tape up to a certain moment you can see the player identifying Alfredsson and charting his trajectory. Devious. Of course the great masterwork in this vein is the 'accidental' kill shot on Crosby.

The only good hockey player is a concussed hockey player.

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:40 AM
The Kessel Run

looked pretty intentional to me.

The Kessel Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Absolutely intentional. Players at this level should be able to atleast "feel" a player who is that close to them and in their peripheral vision.

Careless play and needs to be reprimanded in some way, even a little bit.
No doubt it was an intentional play, but it is taught as a defensive tactic. Players are told to "get in the way" of offensive players trying to join the rush. I don't see a "blow to the head" at all, I do see Wallace skate into a player and get shoulder and then the head without a checking motion.

No way does he get a suspension and I would be surprised if he got a fine.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:14 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings85 View Post
It really looks like Couturier is trying to sell it more than anything ...
Watching it over an over again, looks like Wallace barely touches him.

Wallace could have easily destroyed Couturier but he didn't he skated by him, looks like a harmless clip... and Couturier drops like a sack o potatoes.
that's what you got from watching that? wow.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Bobby G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
For the life of me I don't understand why people even ask if these hits are intentional or not.
Seriously. It's ridiculous to think these NHL players have no idea of their surroundings. The league has **** the bed with previous (worse) plays like this so I doubt their a suspension and the oops-accidental-head-shot will continue.

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:28 AM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Aaron Ward is such a tool

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:10 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
should get nothing
if he get suspended the NHL should be called the Nancy Hockey League

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Hipietro

Looked like he was trying to bump him and Couturier lowered his head a bit. Are people here seriously calling for suspensions and fines?

Jesus Christ, at this rate hockey is on track to become a non contact sport.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:11 PM
PhillyBluesFan

Perfectly fine hit not Wallace fault Couturier moved his head down at the last second

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote