HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn drops a money bomb

Old
01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Let's evaluate his contribution to the team:

2007-2008: 6th in points on the team (0,68 ppg)
2008 playoffs: 4th

2008-2009: 5th (0,55 ppg)
2009 playoffs: 6th

2009-2010: 7th (0,56 ppg)
2010 playoffs: 6th

2010-2011: 4th (0,55 ppg)
2011 playoffs: 7th

2011-2012: 6th (0,55 ppg)

He has never been one of the team's leading scorers and his ppg, while remarkably consistent, is firmly stuck at about 45 points per 82 games. Using past seasons' stats, that puts him at about 115th-120th among forwards for the whole league IF he plays a full season. That is about the production of an average 2nd liner, or less if he's injured like last year.

Can the team afford to pay a guy like that 4 million? Looking at the list of NHL salaries, the 30th most highly paid RW earned about 3 million in 2010-2011. So I'd say that anything above what he's making right now would be a mistake.
Let's not forget that AK doesn't get much that PP time. He's a 35 ES point player wich is top 6 foward production and we actually know that he can do it from a third/shutdown line wich can't be discounted on a team that has been so lacking in good ES foward until this year. Having a player (probably 2 with Eller) that can get you top 6 ES prod from a defensive third line is actually not that easy to find and would be huge next year. We also know he can easily slot right into the top6 in case of injuries. Seriously, I can't find a single reason for NOT resigning him, espescially since he's willing to take a discount.

Also go look at what UFAs get signed for as the cap goes up and you'll see he's easily worth 3.5M. In fact, replacing him would cost more than he will.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Impossible. He's a lazy heartless russian who only cares about getting paid.
How lame can a post be?

He isn't even russian. And all of lazy and heartless I saw in a while was not wearing a russian jersey.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Moves Like Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
How lame can a post be?

He isn't even russian. And all of lazy and heartless I saw in a while was not wearing a russian jersey.
I believe he was being sarcastic. I've always been a fan of AK46 so I'm hoping we're able to sign him to another contract. He doesn't play soft and has toughness to his game and can throw some hard hits when he wants to. His passing is pretty underrated too, I can think of a lot of very impressive passes he's made over the years. I'd love to see him get some regular powerplay time as I think he's one of our best forwards.

Moves Like Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 07:17 AM
muzion

If they re-sign AK46 and Leblanc ends up playing all year with them, we might end up with one of the most productive 3rd line in the league.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:06 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves Like Jagr View Post
I believe he was being sarcastic. I've always been a fan of AK46 so I'm hoping we're able to sign him to another contract. He doesn't play soft and has toughness to his game and can throw some hard hits when he wants to. His passing is pretty underrated too, I can think of a lot of very impressive passes he's made over the years. I'd love to see him get some regular powerplay time as I think he's one of our best forwards.
You don't just throw away a home developed player who thus far has been tolerant of the media (even despite being thrown under the bus in every way imaginable) and who is willing to re-sign cheap when he brings elements to the table your team is already direly in need of. So I guess that means PG won't resign him

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
The way he played last night has got to really open the Habs management eyes, cause I'm sure all the scouts in attendance noticed how dangerous he can be on the ice. A team like San Jose can definitely use a player like him(assuming we don't sign him)

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
9m for 3 y?
I don't think he takes a pay cut.

But i've been saying it for awhile now...i would re-sign both AK and Moen to 3 year deals if they would take the same money that they are currently making.

Moen - 3 years, 4.5 million total
AK - 3 years, 9.75 million total

I'd have some wiggle room, but if they wanted a signifiant raise then i'd deal them both before the deadline for the best possible return.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:43 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
So you really feel it's a good idea to give a big contract to a 45 points per year player, who brings absolutely nothing to the team except than those 45 points?
Hey Benny's friend... I guess AK brought nothing to the team again yesterday? Hard to believed that a worthless player like AK is part of the shutdown line against the best team in NHL. Sheep away!

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:49 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Please feel free to assume what you want, but my opinion is based on watching the games.

You can compare him to Eller if you want. Eller makes a lot of mistakes, he's inconsistant. But...he will skate as fast as he can, will fight hard for the puck along the boards, etc. You can clearly see that he wants to win and that he wants to improve his game.

As for Kostitsyn, he has loads of skills, impressive physical attributes, but feels like playing 1 game out of 10. And the rest of the time he glides around the ice, waits for scoring chances to magically happen instead of trying to create something and will never show anything more than a moderate level of intensity.

Kostitsyn will put up more points than Eller this year. But given the choice between the two, I would choose a guy like Lars Eller in front of Kostitsyn every time.
Hey Benny's friend, this must have been his 1 good game out of 10? Even though he only had 5 seconds of PP time but still didn't sulk, played hard and defended well against the best team in the NHL. 1 good game out of 10... but wait, he played really well on Saturday against the Leafs... and he was dominant in Pittsburgh. That's 3 good games - must be luck right Mr. Expert?

Old
01-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Captain Saku

The problem with re-signing A.Kost is that Louis Leblanc and Gallagher are both RW and they'll be on the habs roster starting from next year, at least one of them will.

Since we already have Cole, Gionta and A.Kost on RW, what to do with the young ones? Eventually A.Kost can play LW but he's more effective on the right wing and I'm liking Moen on the 3rd line LW.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:07 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
The problem with re-signing A.Kost is that Louis Leblanc and Gallagher are both RW and they'll be on the habs roster starting from next year, at least one of them will.

Since we already have Cole, Gionta and A.Kost on RW, what to do with the young ones? Eventually A.Kost can play LW but he's more effective on the right wing and I'm liking Moen on the 3rd line LW.
I'd take AK over Gionta.

And we don't get rid of a solid homegrown contributor to make room for youngsters who may or may not be ready. Leblanc might be ready next year. Might. Gallaguer looks great in Junior but I hope they don't rush him for another couple of years.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Frank Doby

If they want to make the playoffs, the CH need AK. PG wil not trade AK presently.

At this time last season, the San Jose Sharks were 12 points out of a playoff spot. They went to the conference finals thereafter.

Still dreaming for a place in the playoffs?

Frank Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doby View Post
If they want to make the playoffs, the CH need AK. PG wil not trade AK presently.

At this time last season, the San Jose Sharks were 12 points out of a playoff spot. They went to the conference finals thereafter.

Still dreaming for a place in the playoffs?
You know i'm not really dreaming of a playoff spot but man, when the Canadiens execute like they did last night, you start to wonder a little about that minute possibility. We're not the San Jose Sharks, we don't have their firepower to make a run like they did, but San Jose also didn't really have teams as so-so as the Senators and Devils holding playoff spots ahead of them. they could easily go on losing streaks as we could go on a winning ones.

As far as AK is concerned, I'm a bit torn. I want to keep him, but if we're looking to sell at the deadline, a first round pick (like what Ottawa got for Fisher last year) would be mighty useful. Next we turn the money we saved on AK and Cammy into 4-5m winger on the market. Maybe a Ruutu, Hemsky or even someone off board like a Brandon Prust would be quite useful (a better replacement for Moen i guess). There's also Doan, Parise, and Semin, but they will all cost much more and 2/3 of them will probably stay put.

It's a tough call because we'll get better value money-wise if we re-sign him instead signing a replacement in the summer, but then we'd also be missing out on that 1st rounder. I guess as long as they don't do neither of things, which is to just let AK walk, then I think i'll be all right with it.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:43 AM
PK76

I was foaming at the mouth when watching AK forechecking yesterday. Another beastly game from him and what an effort on Emelin's first goal.

Re-sign the guy for god's sake!

PK76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Miller Time

either re-sign him in the next 2-3 weeks, or trade him...

just please, for the love of god, don't hang on to him and assume you'll get a deal done in the days leading up to the deadline.

said it before and i'll say it again, regardless of what both sides say, if the team doesn't get a deal done before the end of the season, it's bound to plant the seed of "they don't appreciate/value me" in the players head, and immediately opens the door to the "might as well find out what I'm really worth/I'll show them what I'm worth"...

Kost, and his agent, would be stupid not to test free agency if they don't get a deal done before the end of the season, and the habs would be stupid to match the UFA premium he'd get on the open market.

If Kost was being honest in his comments about staying here, and the team does want him back, then a deal should be easy to get done now.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Gallaguer looks great in Junior but I hope they don't rush him for another couple of years.
I predict Gallagher will be too good for the AHL by the end of next season.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:05 PM
The Doors
DD 1st line c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I predict Gallagher will be too good for the AHL by the end of next season.
A cool fourth line to see would be a youngster line of White - Leblanc - Gallagher.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:07 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
either re-sign him in the next 2-3 weeks, or trade him...

just please, for the love of god, don't hang on to him and assume you'll get a deal done in the days leading up to the deadline.

said it before and i'll say it again, regardless of what both sides say, if the team doesn't get a deal done before the end of the season, it's bound to plant the seed of "they don't appreciate/value me" in the players head, and immediately opens the door to the "might as well find out what I'm really worth/I'll show them what I'm worth"...

Kost, and his agent, would be stupid not to test free agency if they don't get a deal done before the end of the season, and the habs would be stupid to match the UFA premium he'd get on the open market.

If Kost was being honest in his comments about staying here, and the team does want him back, then a deal should be easy to get done now.
I agree that if he isnt signed before the deadline he must be traded. I just wonder if PG wants to keep him, its just a feeling and I hope Im wrong because I'd like him to stay a Hab, especially because he and Eller seem to click. If PG has no interest in keeping him then I'd really wonder what "The Plan"is. We want to be bigger, AK is that, and skillful and physical ( yes and inconsistent ,as are most scorer types ) and you need a player like that if you want to play 3 offensive type lines. Otherwise you leave Eller in the lurch and are going with 2 offensive lines which means we need to upgrade at centre right now, which means big trade and likely Bad Trade.

yianik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:17 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The way he played last night has got to really open the Habs management eyes, cause I'm sure all the scouts in attendance noticed how dangerous he can be on the ice. A team like San Jose can definitely use a player like him(assuming we don't sign him)
hes been a HAb for over 5 years now and has had good games before-
HABS management know what they have in Andrei Good and bad!
I gotta a feeling he is gone before the deadline- just my opinion

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
You know i'm not really dreaming of a playoff spot but man, when the Canadiens execute like they did last night, you start to wonder a little about that minute possibility. We're not the San Jose Sharks, we don't have their firepower to make a run like they did, but San Jose also didn't really have teams as so-so as the Senators and Devils holding playoff spots ahead of them. they could easily go on losing streaks as we could go on a winning ones.

As far as AK is concerned, I'm a bit torn. I want to keep him, but if we're looking to sell at the deadline, a first round pick (like what Ottawa got for Fisher last year) would be mighty useful. Next we turn the money we saved on AK and Cammy into 4-5m winger on the market. Maybe a Ruutu, Hemsky or even someone off board like a Brandon Prust would be quite useful (a better replacement for Moen i guess). There's also Doan, Parise, and Semin, but they will all cost much more and 2/3 of them will probably stay put.

It's a tough call because we'll get better value money-wise if we re-sign him instead signing a replacement in the summer, but then we'd also be missing out on that 1st rounder. I guess as long as they don't do neither of things, which is to just let AK walk, then I think i'll be all right with it.
If Gauthier can get a 1st for Andrei, still make the playoffs, trade his 2 1sts for a top 5 pick and sign Parise he'd be the greatest Hab GM in history but unfortunately this isn't NHL12

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
If Gauthier can get a 1st for Andrei, still make the playoffs, trade his 2 1sts for a top 5 pick and sign Parise he'd be the greatest Hab GM in history but unfortunately this isn't NHL12
Haha yeah, i'd take all that and not make the playoffs, too. I mean it's not out of the realm of possibilities that we trade AK for say something like a 15-20th pick overall, and then take that pick along with what might be (reasonable guess) a 7-12th pick overall and trade for a top 5 pick.
The whole Parise thing is definitely a pipe dream , imo though.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
larek

Quote:
Haha yeah, i'd take all that and not make the playoffs, too. I mean it's not out of the realm of possibilities that we trade AK for say something like a 15-20th pick overall, and then take that pick along with what might be (reasonable guess) a 7-12th pick overall and trade for a top 5 pick.
The whole Parise thing is definitely a pipe dream , imo though.
i will bet my house that HABS Will not get a 15 to 20th pick for Andrei

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:20 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
There are many things wrong with this post.

First of all, Leblanc can play any position up front, including center.

Secondly, Gallagher is a long stretch to make the team full-time next season.

Thirdly, you don't get rid of a superior, productive, and cheap veteran for a couple of "maybes" because of "positional depth."

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
i will bet my house that HABS Will not get a 15 to 20th pick for Andrei
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355857

Quote:
The Edmonton Oilers have traded forward Dustin Penner to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for defeceman Colten Teubert, a first-round pick in 2011 and a conditional third-round pick in 2012.

The conditional third-round pick could become a second-round selection should the Kings make the playoffs.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:29 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:

For arguments sake, let's say AK is worth 4M on the open market.

Looking at the available UFAs that you mentioned,

Ruutu - good complimentary player similar in value to AK
Hemsky - injury prone and inconsistent
Prust - nice addition but cannot replace AK

Doan - still a solid player. Did not want to leave Phoenix to go to Winnipeg. Do you think Montreal is more attractive for him?
Semin - tons of talent, too many question marks for the money he'll make
Parise - incredible player and the Habs should target him for sure if they do not resign AK...

So, unless the Habs can lure Parise, there's not much out there that is better than AK and it's probable that they do not want to come to the Montreal circus. IMO.