HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jaroslav Spacek: "I'm very happy to be gone from that circus in Montreal."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2012, 04:00 PM
  #201
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie27Seguin19 View Post
So spacek came back yesterday to pick up the skates he ordered, got another great scoop

Asked him what the hell is going on with gomez, his answer: (not word for word but close)

"gomez is going through a rough time, it may not look like it but the guy is so frustrated and i feel bad for him and his family, he nearly went through a depression with how the city is treating the whole situation, it is really getting to him and he cant take it anymore, hes a really good guy though, once he gets 1 he wont stop, i know him more than anyone else"

And To the person who said spacek is fat.. Hes a ****ing beast! Lol

And for an ugly dude his wife/gf is smoking hot.
in before depression is ridiculed by people who have no knowledge on it, and think that 7mil solves everything.

Much appreciate the scoops DougieSeguin, doesn't happen very often, and seems like spacek is a great guy.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:16 PM
  #202
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
in before depression is ridiculed by people who have no knowledge on it, and think that 7mil solves everything.

Much appreciate the scoops DougieSeguin, doesn't happen very often, and seems like spacek is a great guy.
He's a pro hockey player making 7million. Depression is a real thing but I care more about a depressed person making 1/14th of his salary than him.

His job is to play ****ing hockey and stay in shape.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:24 PM
  #203
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He's a pro hockey player making 7million. Depression is a real thing but I care more about a depressed person making 1/14th of his salary than him.

His job is to play ****ing hockey and stay in shape.
You have no idea what you're talking about... Emotional state of a person will affect their play and just being a constant monkey on their back will not help the situation.
Gomez is part of the solution in the short term as the other options such as buy out will just make us lose less money while not having a player as productive.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:32 PM
  #204
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
I too believe the guy is close to a depression. And that the 'injury' was more the result of him being burned out. Some people saw him skate like the wind at the practice center, so it wasn't really his injury...I think it was more the fact that he's going through a burn out...if it doesn't change (goals or trade), he's ready to breakdown. Brisebois went through this too.

I NEVER laugh at those who are going through this. It can be the end of the road for many. People should never make fun of burnouts and depressions.

As for Spacek, I too believe wasn't very fond of the intense scrutiny. Seems like a nice guy, though.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:48 PM
  #205
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 8,507
vCash: 500
If the fans at the BC reacted to him (or the media ftm) based on his play since returning from injury, he would get cheered every time he touched the puck. This is what I meant in the thread about Gagon about a common theme being propagated and instilled so deeply in the fanbase that people can't see what is objectively true - Scott Gomez has been one of our best players in every game since he returned from injury. Why do people boo him (even in a 7-2 win!!!!)? Cuz of the 7mill which has absolutely NO bearing on what is going on right now. Are they trying to boo him down to a lower salary? We can't do anything. Just hope he keeps playing the way he can.

As for the depression thing, yes a very vicious cycle and if people don't care about how it's affecting him as a person, realize that it will affect how much of that 7mill you get out of him. I also really hope he gets a goal soon.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:14 PM
  #206
pucky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
It's a no brainer that the language issues are a really turn off to non French-speaking players like Spacek and it's not like French players themselves really want to play in MTL either.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Listened to the sound clip. It's not as bad as what it's made out to be.

The circus he's referring to is the losing, the "crap about the french coach", the injuries and the pressure.

He maintains that the room is still filled with a "great group of guys".
Actually, it is.

He likes the group of guys but is saying it's VERY DIFFICULT to play there. The fact he states he is glad to be gone should speak volumes.

The Molsons and the Canadiens should be telling the media to back off, about the coach and needing a french-speaking coach and everything else.

It's just making it worse for everyone in the organization. It's a major problem if players don't want to play there. Any time there's a trade or you're trying to entice an UFA, how do you promote the place with that mess?

Spacek sounds like a good guy who is just being blunt and providing the reality of the situation. He even says it's hard to just go out and get a bite to eat. Geez...

No wonder French Canadian players aren't thrilled about playing there. The pressure is probably the greatest on them. It used to be the other way around. They would be excited about playing there and although the media might be a hassle, it was never to the extent, you desperately wanted out.

With all that said, however, I'll say I really am impressed with Price. Sounds like a good guy and I like what he said about the TT situation. :-)

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:14 PM
  #207
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 5,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He's a pro hockey player making 7million. Depression is a real thing but I care more about a depressed person making 1/14th of his salary than him.

His job is to play ****ing hockey and stay in shape.
Money is not a part of human's biological system and hence cannot do what certain drugs(with heavy side effects) or simply removing the stimuli causing the depression can. Money is irrelevant in this context.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:18 PM
  #208
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,009
vCash: 500
Not the biggest Gomez fan, but he has looked good in the past few weeks. Probably one of the fastest people on the team. I would love to see him get a goal, but he is a playmaker and thats what he doing at this point. Good for him and I hope can pot one sometime this year!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:57 PM
  #209
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Money is not a part of human's biological system and hence cannot do what certain drugs(with heavy side effects) or simply removing the stimuli causing the depression can. Money is irrelevant in this context.
No, I mean that if his depression is only caused by his lack of hockey production he can stick his sorrys in a sack.

I've been happy with his play recently and I'll give him credit. I know he'll never live up to his contract or the trade and that's not a factor here. I'm just saying, simply, if he is getting depressed due to his WORK - I won't shed a tear.

There are real people, nurses, policemen and teachers for instance, doing important things getting paid **** money who get depressed and burnt out from their work. Their salary affects their life and on top of it all they are depressed. They get my sympathy in a society that usually turns a blind eye to depression and psychiatric care.

If his job is so stressful and bad, he can ****ing quit.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:05 AM
  #210
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
The circus starts and ends with Pierre Gauthier and he has to go, I don't care if Montreal beat Detroit 7-2, Gauthier needs to go and does not belong in this business as a GM.
The sooner that Molson understands this the better for the future of Canadiens hockey.

Spacek is correct. Gauthier is the Circus.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:48 AM
  #211
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Amazing sense of humor you have. Obvious late night trolling to get some attention. Yea!
No way. Read my post over, I understand depression and I am in no way marginalizing it's effects. My point is simply... [cont. below]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
If being a policeman, teacher and whatnot is so stressful, they can ****ing quit too.
That normal people can't afford to quit their stressful jobs. They get depressed and their lives suck but they just can't quit and move to Jamaica and live on the beach.

That's my *** point. Gomez can afford to quit if his job is really making him depressed. If he has outside issues affecting his game that is something else but if it is really only the pressures of his job "getting to him" he can request a trade, go to Hamilton without any pressure, quit his contract and move to Switzerland or even retire and live happily ever after or something.

You can't have your arguments go both ways. I have tons of respect for depression treatments and really believe in them - but very little sympathy for pro athletes because they can afford to quit, a night shift nurse can't. And I work with night shift nurses.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:57 AM
  #212
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie27Seguin19 View Post
So spacek came back yesterday to pick up the skates he ordered, got another great scoop

Asked him what the hell is going on with gomez, his answer: (not word for word but close)

"gomez is going through a rough time, it may not look like it but the guy is so frustrated and i feel bad for him and his family, he nearly went through a depression with how the city is treating the whole situation, it is really getting to him and he cant take it anymore, hes a really good guy though, once he gets 1 he wont stop, i know him more than anyone else"

And To the person who said spacek is fat.. Hes a ****ing beast! Lol

And for an ugly dude his wife/gf is smoking hot.
Does that explain why he was awful in NY too? Or just the entire time he has been with us?

The guy is a lazy floater, I bet if this was a contract year the guy would be a damn unstoppable machine but since it isn't out comes the "the city treats me bad" BS excuse. Remember when he said he was going to be better and work harder this year and then came out with the same tired idiotic play he has tried for years?

He deserves to be buried in the minors for the remainder of that contract, maybe not I don't want to let him too close to the rookies. Maybe send him to Europe or something.

He is so depressed his depression has mutated and can be contracted by his linemates and anyone watching him.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:59 AM
  #213
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
No way. Read my post over, I understand depression and I am in no way marginalizing it's effects. My point is simply... [cont. below]



That normal people can't afford to quit their stressful jobs. They get depressed and their lives suck but they just can't quit and move to Jamaica and live on the beach.

That's my *** point. Gomez can afford to quit if his job is really making him depressed. If he has outside issues affecting his game that is something else but if it is really only the pressures of his job "getting to him" he can request a trade, go to Hamilton without any pressure, quit his contract and move to Switzerland or even retire and live happily ever after or something.

You can't have your arguments go both ways. I have tons of respect for depression treatments and really believe in them - but very little sympathy for pro athletes because they can afford to quit, a night shift nurse can't. And I work with night shift nurses.
Simple act of quitting, doesn't usually "treat" a depression. Furthermore the depression arises from outside factors of his job. Rejection is probably the biggest variant, IF we are going to speculate that Gomez would be depressed at this point in time. Also, DNA can include predispositions to depressions, or other psychological states. The fact that all your explanation arise from YOUR point of view, and what YOU would do suggest you have no clue about anything we are discussing, because you would understand, the problem arises from the patients point of view and perception.
Again, i would keep your "opinion" to yourself, your making yourself look like Dr Recchi.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:19 AM
  #214
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
No way. Read my post over, I understand depression and I am in no way marginalizing it's effects. My point is simply... [cont. below]



That normal people can't afford to quit their stressful jobs. They get depressed and their lives suck but they just can't quit and move to Jamaica and live on the beach.

That's my *** point. Gomez can afford to quit if his job is really making him depressed. If he has outside issues affecting his game that is something else but if it is really only the pressures of his job "getting to him" he can request a trade, go to Hamilton without any pressure, quit his contract and move to Switzerland or even retire and live happily ever after or something.

You can't have your arguments go both ways. I have tons of respect for depression treatments and really believe in them - but very little sympathy for pro athletes because they can afford to quit, a night shift nurse can't. And I work with night shift nurses.
they can work as security agents at la Caisse Populaire or they can go teach adults in the evening...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:22 AM
  #215
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Does that explain why he was awful in NY too? Or just the entire time he has been with us?

The guy is a lazy floater, I bet if this was a contract year the guy would be a damn unstoppable machine but since it isn't out comes the "the city treats me bad" BS excuse. Remember when he said he was going to be better and work harder this year and then came out with the same tired idiotic play he has tried for years?

He deserves to be buried in the minors for the remainder of that contract, maybe not I don't want to let him too close to the rookies. Maybe send him to Europe or something.

He is so depressed his depression has mutated and can be contracted by his linemates and anyone watching him.
70 and 58 pts is FAR from awful.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:45 AM
  #216
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 8,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Does that explain why he was awful in NY too? Or just the entire time he has been with us?

The guy is a lazy floater, I bet if this was a contract year the guy would be a damn unstoppable machine but since it isn't out comes the "the city treats me bad" BS excuse. Remember when he said he was going to be better and work harder this year and then came out with the same tired idiotic play he has tried for years?

He deserves to be buried in the minors for the remainder of that contract, maybe not I don't want to let him too close to the rookies. Maybe send him to Europe or something.

He is so depressed his depression has mutated and can be contracted by his linemates and anyone watching him.
Just answer this: has he been bad lately? Has he been anything less than very good? If the answer is no, then why the current hate? He will either help us win now or will regress into being a "lazy floater" (a term thrown around with reckless abandon on these boards) and we will lose and get that pick.

He DID work hard and it seems as though it's paid off. The rest of his contract after this year is a whole other debate. Right now, is it so bad to just support the guy who is obviously trying his best (and getting results btw)? What is there to lose?

The only downside is if he somehow proves that he's a number 1 center, which makes his situation for next year...confusing.


as for the depression thing, Whiskey Seven: you can have everything in the world and be depressed. As Blame it on PK said, money is irrelevant. Of course he's depressed cuz he hasn't done well. How would you feel if you knew you had underachieved and that everyone hated you cuz you are getting 7million dollars and you can't change a thing about it (exemplified by him getting booed even when he's playing well)?
You're saying he doesn't deserve to feel emotionally distressed just cuz he's making a lot of money? THat's actually the reason he probably feels so depressed. As for quiting...I just don't understand how I'm supposed to take that seriously.

He's supposed to get over his depression by quiting the game he loves, leaving the NHL and behind him a legacy of the past season and a bit being awful in Montreal and as soon as he does that...happy time?

I think your statement is akin to: I have no compassion for a guy who gets paid 7 million dollars to do his job. He has no right to feel depressed (again, this is the subject). Well, he does. He is. Whether you have compassion for mental illness or not is another story. I highly doubt he is trolling the Habs fanbase and purposefully trying to screw us over. He's a professional and I like the way he's dealing with the current situation. He seems to have gotten very serious and wants to win. 7million or 1million, it's not going to change the fate of our Habs this season. How he plays...is.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:16 AM
  #217
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,550
vCash: 500
No, you guys aren't getting my point.

If your [JOB] is the cause of your depression, normal people usually can't do much and it leads to a depressing, destructive cycle. If a pro athlete's JOB is the root of his depression, as is speculated above, he can (especially in Gomez's case) afford to do something about it.

How is this disagreeable?

I don't really care about his play or results in this argument, I'm just saying simply that there is no way a person making 7m a year can say his job makes him depressed AND not have a way to change his life/work situation to alleviate it. You can afford the best psychiatric care, afford to retire early, afford to force a trade, afford to do ANYTHING because you have the financial freedom to do so. Almost every depressed person doesn't have that financial freedom.

When movie stars get burnt out they step away from the limelight and move to the south of France. You're telling me Gomez can't do ANYTHING?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:22 AM
  #218
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Simple act of quitting, doesn't usually "treat" a depression. Furthermore the depression arises from outside factors of his job. Rejection is probably the biggest variant, IF we are going to speculate that Gomez would be depressed at this point in time. Also, DNA can include predispositions to depressions, or other psychological states. The fact that all your explanation arise from YOUR point of view, and what YOU would do suggest you have no clue about anything we are discussing, because you would understand, the problem arises from the patients point of view and perception.
Again, i would keep your "opinion" to yourself, your making yourself look like Dr Recchi.
You sound like Dr. Recchi if you ask me. I'm not speculating anything at all and here you are bringing half-baked gene theory into a logical argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
they can work as security agents at la Caisse Populaire or they can go teach adults in the evening...
Read over my post and yours again, and if you get the same instinct to type the same response lemme know to update my ignore list.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:12 AM
  #219
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
No, you guys aren't getting my point.

If your [JOB] is the cause of your depression, normal people usually can't do much and it leads to a depressing, destructive cycle. If a pro athlete's JOB is the root of his depression, as is speculated above, he can (especially in Gomez's case) afford to do something about it.

How is this disagreeable?

I don't really care about his play or results in this argument, I'm just saying simply that there is no way a person making 7m a year can say his job makes him depressed AND not have a way to change his life/work situation to alleviate it. You can afford the best psychiatric care, afford to retire early, afford to force a trade, afford to do ANYTHING because you have the financial freedom to do so. Almost every depressed person doesn't have that financial freedom.

When movie stars get burnt out they step away from the limelight and move to the south of France. You're telling me Gomez can't do ANYTHING?

I just find you don't get it , you put way to much emphasis on money whether it be his NHL salary (which hasn't crippled us financially just yet) and you some how have the idea that having money = not being depressed , there is no magic cure for depression and other mental disorders. I feel strongly that you should inform yourself a little more on the topic before saying things that could be deemed ignorant or bias.
Plenty of people have all the riches in the world but they realize that health and happiness are two of the few things that money cannot buy you.

Disclaimer : I'm not suggesting I am expert at the aforementioned topic , I also do realize that I can't confirm if Gomez issues are related to said mental diseases.
I am just preaching sensitivity to a tough issue that has nothing to do with someone's bank account.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:25 AM
  #220
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
I just find you don't get it , you put way to much emphasis on money whether it be his NHL salary (which hasn't crippled us financially just yet) and you some how have the idea that having money = not being depressed
That is not at all what I'm saying.

If his marriage is causing him depression, or his genes (hah), or anything else in the world - it would be one thing and a separate argument

But for someone to suggest that his JOB is the SOLE (or BIGGEST) cause of his depression, it would illicit zero sympathy from me.

99% of people need their jobs and their careers. Celebrities and superstars (or players paid like superstars... ahem) are not those people. If his JOB emphasis on JOB is the root of his depression he has a thousand options that almost no one else can even entertain.

It has less to do with money and more to do with the mere fact that his JOB is to PLAY HOCKEY PROFESSIONALLY IN MONTREAL AND TO BE IN SHAPE if something about that is the root of his depression he has, and can use, his professional or financial tools to alliviate the situation like no one else in any other position can.

If a nurse is depressed from exposure to dying and sick people she can't do anything, because it's part of her job description and she likely cannot afford to pre-maturely retire. If playing hockey in Montreal depresses Gomez he can request a trade, suspend his contract, go to hamilton, go to europe, go to alaska, retire, seek psychiatric help, etc. Those are options 99% of people do not have when their JOB is the root of their depression. A normal person making >100k a year or with kids or with a mortgage or with loans can't just quit their ****** job and travel the world. It's a harsh reality and it factors in to depression. Gomez isn't a normal person though, he makes an obscene amount of money and has so many options related to his work.

How the hell can you read the above two paragraphs and think I don't understand depression. I'm not saying it doesn't exist: IT DOES EXIST. But if the root of your depression lies in your work, and you're a ****ing millionaire YOU COULD JUST STOP DOING IT and still afford to be able to do almost anything else.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:37 AM
  #221
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
That is not at all what I'm saying.

If his marriage is causing him depression, or his genes (hah), or anything else in the world - it would be one thing and a separate argument

But for someone to suggest that his JOB is the SOLE (or BIGGEST) cause of his depression, it would illicit zero sympathy from me.

99% of people need their jobs and their careers. Celebrities and superstars (or players paid like superstars... ahem) are not those people. If his JOB emphasis on JOB is the root of his depression he has a thousand options that almost no one else can even entertain.

It has less to do with money and more to do with the mere fact that his JOB is to PLAY HOCKEY PROFESSIONALLY IN MONTREAL AND TO BE IN SHAPE if something about that is the root of his depression he has, and can use, his professional or financial tools to alliviate the situation like no one else in any other position can.

If a nurse is depressed from exposure to dying and sick people she can't do anything, because it's part of her job description and she likely cannot afford to pre-maturely retire. If playing hockey in Montreal depresses Gomez he can request a trade, suspend his contract, go to hamilton, go to europe, go to alaska, retire, seek psychiatric help, etc. Those are options 99% of people do not have when their JOB is the root of their depression. A normal person making >100k a year or with kids or with a mortgage or with loans can't just quit their ****** job and travel the world. It's a harsh reality and it factors in to depression. Gomez isn't a normal person though, he makes an obscene amount of money and has so many options related to his work.

How the hell can you read the above two paragraphs and think I don't understand depression. I'm not saying it doesn't exist: IT DOES EXIST. But if the root of your depression lies in your work, and you're a ****ing millionaire YOU COULD JUST STOP DOING IT and still afford to be able to do almost anything else.
He's contractually obligated to play hockey , it's his career he has worked his butt off since he was 3-5 years old , one would feel depressed if they would be in Gomez shoes everyone expects him to be this god that finally lives up to a price tag that is just unfair. If you honestly think that because he is rich running away from his problems would all of a sudden make him complete as a person then I don't know what to say to this...

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:35 AM
  #222
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
He's contractually obligated to play hockey , it's his career he has worked his butt off since he was 3-5 years old , one would feel depressed if they would be in Gomez shoes everyone expects him to be this god that finally lives up to a price tag that is just unfair. If you honestly think that because he is rich running away from his problems would all of a sudden make him complete as a person then I don't know what to say to this...
a) No one expects Gomez to be a God. No one.
b) I never speculated to his "completeness" as a person.
c) I offered a simple argument: the super-rich can change factors relating to their job that regular people absolutely cannot. Therefore I have less consideration and sympathy for the super-rich in situations where they feel in any way uncomfortable with their job. It's like saying that Kim Kardashian is depressed due to all the media attention and lack of privacy. Yeah that's true, and you can fix it by changing some things around... Paris Hilton did it a couple of years ago when she got sick of the limelight. The options exist when you're super-rich.

So, what's your point?

If you look at this from a Nashville fan's point of view: We traded a future top-pairing d-man for a SEVEN MILLION DOLLAR player that has a "has he scored yet" website in his name.

Gomez isn't just bad, he's all kinds of bad and will always under-achieve. I supported the trade and pulled for him and still do but he's a terrible investment and for his own sake should get out of Montreal.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:10 AM
  #223
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
a) No one expects Gomez to be a God. No one.
b) I never speculated to his "completeness" as a person.
c) I offered a simple argument: the super-rich can change factors relating to their job that regular people absolutely cannot. Therefore I have less consideration and sympathy for the super-rich in situations where they feel in any way uncomfortable with their job. It's like saying that Kim Kardashian is depressed due to all the media attention and lack of privacy. Yeah that's true, and you can fix it by changing some things around... Paris Hilton did it a couple of years ago when she got sick of the limelight. The options exist when you're super-rich.

So, what's your point?

If you look at this from a Nashville fan's point of view: We traded a future top-pairing d-man for a SEVEN MILLION DOLLAR player that has a "has he scored yet" website in his name.

Gomez isn't just bad, he's all kinds of bad and will always under-achieve. I supported the trade and pulled for him and still do but he's a terrible investment and for his own sake should get out of Montreal.
I see what you're saying and it may seem logical to you , but let's just agree to disagree , this will be my final retort as the point seems moot.

a) No one expects Gomez to be a God. No one.
Most fans expect this and we hear the cliché's all the time (Gomez should be 20g-50/60a guy) , especially on HFBoards it's rampant. Sure some of us can be rational and see Gomez for what he is a perfect example of why the Cap was instilled so teams would think before offering players these disgusting contracts (even though all we see now is teams attempting to circumvent the cap through loopholes..)[ and yes I do realize his contract was offered in the cap era but I consider those first years training wheel years for the GM's as this was new territory for everyone.
b) I never speculated to his "completeness" as a person.
Well maybe not directly , however one can easily agree that insinuating a person is in a depressive state of mind due his job wouldn't you deem that as life altering?
c) I offered a simple argument: the super-rich can change factors relating to their job that regular people absolutely cannot.
This seems to me like a grasses greener kind of example , you seem to think that the possibility to change our life path with the means of money will somehow heal someone's depression? If the circumstances that made a person depressed are still present then why would their mental symptoms dissapear? (By circumstances I mean , incredible bad luck despite positive effort and all the right moves made by management to succeed , such as complimenting him with Gionta to reunite proven duo/winner.) There are many examples of Athletes/Celebrities/Musicians (ect) leaving their domain to pursue "happiness" only to spiral downward into the abyss (Substance abuse/Criminal activity...)


Last edited by Avim86: 01-29-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 09:45 AM
  #224
Padrino86
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 721
vCash: 500
why does everybody want Gomez to score a goal when he is a playmaker?

I never cared and still don't. His job is to create them.

Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:48 PM
  #225
Prendan Brust
Registered User
 
Prendan Brust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,439
vCash: 500
We're all part of that circus. We all post on the most active team board on HFBoards. The tv shows are still there because people watch them. At one point there was 4 talkshows on 4 different channels talking about the habs at the same frigging time.

Maybe it has an effect on the team, but it also has a huge effect on Molson's pockets. This circus is a cash cow. Don't count on a change unless the Molsons start believing it is hampering the Habs earnings. Right now I don't think it has a negative effect, quite the contrary in fact.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.